Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Default Buss Send Aux Folders.....wtf

Howdy all. I am trying to figure out what the difference is between all these things. I think I named them all. Maybe RETURN? Is that a THING?

I have my giant Reaper bible here with me. But it doesn't break these down for dummies.

I have figured out how to make a Buss or BUS? I don't know what the difference is between a buss and the others.

Also, I seen a video where a guy put Reverb on a Fuss and sent all tracks to it. Is this called a FX Send?

Do you ever what to Send and Return from a FX FUSS?
Does a Reverb get muddy sending a bunch of tracks to IT? Or does it process each track individually?

On my Fuss, I can turn the Master Send on or off. Do I want to keep this OFF?

Thanks so much. Hope I didn't noob out to much......
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Jimmy James

DEAL! I posted this in the wrong place. I can't find a way to move it. Can a Mod delete it for and I will make it in a new place.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
I have figured out how to make a Buss or BUS? I don't know what the difference is between a buss and the others.
It's all just routing signals like as if they are pipes and water. Some may have different advantages/caveats but it's still just splitting signals and/or routing through different pipes.

On a side note "return" in the classic sense is sort of irrelevant here. In the analog world you'd use a "send" to send the signal (water) to an outboard effect, then take that effect's output to a new channel on the analog board (which is the "return" from the effects output) but since the FX lives on the return track in a DAW, the concept of return sort of doesn't matter in the classic sense.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #4
DynamicK

Check out Kenny's great video which will explain it all:

Folders vs Busses vs Groups vs VCAs in REAPER
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Jimmy James

I still ha e Reverb Buss questions.

When I send all my tracks to reverb, should I send it back to the Original TRACK?
Or just blend the verb track into the MIX? Also, should my Reverb Buss be stereo or MONO?

Will having verb on each track sound better than all to a Reverb Miss.

Should I send the guitar buss to the reverb buss. Or send all the guitar tracks to the verb.

No one covers these questions. I have always used verb per track.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
DEAL! I posted this in the wrong place. I can't find a way to move it. Can a Mod delete it for and I will make it in a new place.
I can't figure out how to delete this. I would rather not have it in Themes.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #7
andyp24

No, don't send the reverb buss back to the original channel (s). Think of the channel which has the reverb on it AS the fx return and fade it up into the mix.

As for where to send from, if you send from the guitar buss then all the guitar tracks will end up with the same amount of reverb. You might not want that - you might want lots on one guitar, and much less on another. Send from the individual tracks and you can control this with the Send levels.

Reverb is normally a stereo effect but you don't need to worry about this. Reaper doesn't distinguish between mono/stereo tracks- it adjusts itself automatically.

Assuming you're using the same reverb for all your guitars, and use individual sends to control the amount each track sends to it, having a single reverb buss will sound the same as using one reverb per track, but will use less CPU and be easier to adjust if you decide you want to tweak the parameters or change preset.

Last things - make sure your sends are post-fader so that if you change the track level, the reverb follows and stays in balance. And on the reverb FX, make sure that it's set to give 100% wet (ie the reverb) and 0% dry (the send signal). So then your "clean" sound and your "reverb" sounds are completely separate for mixing.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
hopi

JJ hey

it is a matter of how you want to think about the bus or whatever you want to call it...

consider this:

let's say you have 3 diff audio tracks or even live instrumets, each on it's own mic...

so you are already getting each of those as a 'dry' signal... just the sound of each track or intrument

OK and now you want some amount of the same reverb on each of those instruments... and you want a diff amount of that same reverb on each one...

OK so you send each one to the 'bus' or really just some track that has that reverb on it...

the amount of the send to that will be the amount of the original signal that will be presented to the reverb...

Normally you do not then send it back to the original track... think about what a feedback loop that might create, eh?

Now you can do this with whatever instruments [tracks] you want ...sending to one other track with one [or even more] reverb fx on it...

and\or you can send to two or more diff reverb tracks each with a diff reverb on it...

the output of those reverbs will be a combination of how much you send to them, along with how much have the Mix setting on the reverb, IF it has one... or you can also control the amount of Mix with the wet knob on the reaper FX UI even if the reverb has no mix knob...

depending on what you get out of all the verbs, you may want to reduce the volume of the original track or instrument to get what you like in the way of a mix of original and reverb sounds...

I hope this helps
Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Normally you do not then send it back to the original track... think about what a feedback loop that might create, eh?
Hi my friend, actually you can send it back to the original track, as long as the reverb has the "Wet" at 100%, and the "Dry" is 0% or -inf, which is the correct way to use a Reverb on an Aux bus.

However, sending it back to the original track is almost never done, and this brings up an important point.

All outputs of the tracks that are feeding that Reverb, and the output of the Aux bus itself, has to have the same destination, whether it's the MASTER, or some other bus. If any of them make a detour, then there is the possibility that their relationship will not be correct.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
the output of those reverbs will be a combination of how much you send to them.
I think it's better to say that the INPUT to the reverb will be the mix of the tracks that you're sending to the verb track. That mix is balanced by the send levels (which would be modified by the faders too in post fader sends) The plugin will do whatever it does to that mix. It's not adding reverb to each individual track and then mixing them together. It's mixing them and then adding reverb. And that means you can't extract any of the individual tracks on the other side of the reverb, so sending back to individual tracks doesn't make sense at all. You'd end up with the (reverbed) full mix on your individual tracks.

Tod - Setting the verb 100% wet does not solve the feedback loop issue. There are ways to use multichannel routing to do it without actual feedback, but not with post-fader sends. Even then, Reaper will see it as a feedback routing (even though it's not), and disable receives on one of the tracks unless you turn on the "enable feedback..." setting in project settings.

Also, it might be just a little early to get into the whole thing about busing tracks which also have individual sends to FX auxes. That gets deep and weird fast.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Tod - Setting the verb 100% wet does not solve the feedback loop issue. There are ways to use multichannel routing to do it without actual feedback, but not with post-fader sends. Even then, Reaper will see it as a feedback routing (even though it's not), and disable receives on one of the tracks unless you turn on the "enable feedback..." setting in project settings.
Aah yes, your right, heh heh, that's exactly why I've never done that, I was thinking about them having to be summed somewhere. My old brain so easily forgets things.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote