Old 11-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Chord generator?

I'm finding lately when I compose, I always go looking for a melody or motif first. Once I have that, I try to find the right chords to accompany it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive or freeware plugin that takes in melody and spits out harmony?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Jordu7

There probably are people in the forum with direct hands-on experience which I do not have. So I cannot recommend a particular software. But maybe you want to look at these programs (some of them free) listed here:
https://www.electronicdrumadvisor.co...rator-plugins/

I think they include the most popular choices.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
kirk1701

Thanks man, I have seen many of these. I would like to hear from those members who have first-hand experience.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
nzdutchie

With Orb Producer Suite by Hexachords one can import a midi file into it and it supposedly will harmonize it. It can come up with bass lines, arps, chords and melodies. Its 99 euro through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRdgVfd1kM&t=148s
nzdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
Tone Deft

I've used Band In A Box for 10+ years to see what a computer can do to generate chords and melodies. I don't know if you can enter in a melody for it to work on, I enter chords to seed it.

as for your specific needs, I would eat my vegetables, grab a pencil and paper, write out the notes and see what notes I'm already playing. I'd identify the key of the song and then look for the role of each note in the melody in terms of the key and then drill down into which mode or modes are being implied and follow those guidelines. this is all stuff I strive to learn by heart and lose the pencil as I get this stuff down, someday.

I'm in favor of forcing myself to do hard work the old way rather than looking for a one click computer solutions. computers have no soul. but that's fine if you want to further your understanding and craft. they can't all be winners, I'm still waiting.

as for melody writing, I like call and response (blues) or evolution on a theme (fugue). from my rock background I'm used to a second guitar player playing a 5th over the lead guitar line.

my $0.02, interesting topic.
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #6
Antkn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I'm finding lately when I compose, I always go looking for a melody or motif first. Once I have that, I try to find the right chords to accompany it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive or freeware plugin that takes in melody and spits out harmony?
Check out scaler 2 or Suggester
Antkn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordu7 View Post
But maybe you want to look at these programs (some of them free) listed here:
https://www.electronicdrumadvisor.co...rator-plugins/
Of the ones on this list, I have Scaler 2 (and the original Scaler), InstaChord, Chordz, and Cthulhu. (plus a few others not on the list)

I hardly ever use Chordz. But Scaler 2 and InstaChord get frequent use. It's not surprising that they are #1 and #2 on the list.

Cthulhu is good also, but lately I'm trying to focus on becoming an expert with a few specific plugins, and not dilute/confuse my knowledge by using too many plugins that do the same type of thing. So in that regard, I've chosen Scaler 2 and InstaChord over Cthulhu.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Of the ones on this list, I have Scaler 2 (and the original Scaler), InstaChord, Chordz, and Cthulhu. (plus a few others not on the list)

I hardly ever use Chordz. But Scaler 2 and InstaChord get frequent use. It's not surprising that they are #1 and #2 on the list.

Cthulhu is good also, but lately I'm trying to focus on becoming an expert with a few specific plugins, and not dilute/confuse my knowledge by using too many plugins that do the same type of thing. So in that regard, I've chosen Scaler 2 and InstaChord over Cthulhu.
If you had to choose between Scaler 2 or InstaChord... if you HAD too which would you choose and why?

Focusing on less apps, and getting really familiar with specific plugs instead of cursory knowledge of loads - thats definitely a good idea IMHO.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
If you had to choose between Scaler 2 or InstaChord... if you HAD too which would you choose and why?
Definitely Scaler 2. It's way more powerful and flexible.

Actually, I think I misspoke. I think I use InstaScale (the companion to InstaChord) much more than InstaChord. I especially like the ability to assign keys to act as +/- intervals instead of specific notes. Like C=Root, D=+2nd, E=+3rd. Set the Scale to C Major, play C E E D C, and get C E G A C as output. If you take care to assign the keys correctly, you never get a melody note that is outside the desired harmony. This works fantastic when you feed it with notes from a probabilistic MIDI generator, where you can set the probability of generating each specific note. You can get get some nice random melodies that are never out of key. But this isn't what the OP asked for, since they already have a melody.

Last edited by lunker; 11-18-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
kirk1701

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think it's really time for me to dust off the staff paper. It's probably easier to have even a cursory sketch in a language I'm somewhat familiar with, than try to learn a new plugin.

I'm also open to theory and notation tutorial suggestions. Last I took theory formally was pre-1995. I was a pre-teen, so all that skill has been absorbed into my subconscious. I hear/feel melody and harmony rather than consciously see it, if that makes sense. I could use a refresher with some helpful mnemonics.

Last edited by kirk1701; 11-18-2020 at 12:44 PM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
TonE

My suggestion would be getting a cheap graphics tablet* (without any screen) with pen, as a replacement for paper, then using Reapers notation editor for writing with the pen, feeling like Mozart or Beethoven, at least I feel so. Just a different way of looking to same notes. Restructuring notes by shapes or how beautiful they look visually, or making them look similar as in other known classical/rock/any style pieces. If it looks good, it sounds good. Creating chords can there be easy as well, especially when locked to certain scales.

* The one I have is XP Pen Deco3, it is useful, as it can work also wirelessly. Put your laptop somewhere, take tablet and pen to your sofa or bed, start drawing/composing without any cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqMtuCPNLU

Last edited by TonE; 11-18-2020 at 02:56 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
maxdembo

Quote:
Definitely Scaler 2. It's way more powerful and flexible.

Actually, I think I misspoke. I think I use InstaScale (the companion to InstaChord) much more than InstaChord. I especially like the ability to assign keys to act as +/- intervals instead of specific notes. Like C=Root, D=+2nd, E=+3rd. Set the Scale to C Major, play C E E D C, and get C E G A C as output. If you take care to assign the keys correctly, you never get a melody note that is outside the desired harmony. This works fantastic when you feed it with notes from a probabilistic MIDI generator, where you can set the probability of generating each specific note. You can get get some nice random melodies that are never out of key. But this isn't what the OP asked for, since they already have a melody.
Thank you, thats very helpful, cheers!
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
My suggestion would be getting a cheap graphics tablet* (without any screen) with pen, as a replacement for paper, then using Reapers notation editor for writing with the pen, feeling like Mozart or Beethoven, at least I feel so. Just a different way of looking to same notes. Restructuring notes by shapes or how beautiful they look visually, or making them look similar as in other known classical/rock/any style pieces. If it looks good, it sounds good. Creating chords can there be easy as well, especially when locked to certain scales.

* The one I have is XP Pen Deco3, it is useful, as it can work also wirelessly. Put your laptop somewhere, take tablet and pen to your sofa or bed, start drawing/composing without any cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqMtuCPNLU
This is a good suggestion, but I've found that for sketching, pencil and paper is irreplaceable. I have an awful lazy streak and if I have to boot something up, I won't bother. If I want to sketch or daydream, I need longhand.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
HolyFS

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....light=chordgun
Cheers!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
lunker

In case anyone's interested, Plugin Boutique is having a sale on a bundle with InstaChord, InstaScale, and MIDIQ -- only $9.90

I got the same $9.90 deal a few years ago before MIDIQ was available. Now I'm bummed that I don't have it. I see I can buy it separately for only $7.90 -- a pretty good deal, bit still bummed I have to pay extra for it.

Oh, the sad life of a plugin junkie ...
Old 11-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
pepe44

zplane vielklang Instant Harmony
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
TonE

Maybe useful: https://sourceforge.net/projects/jniz/
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #18
nait

Quote:
In case anyone's interested, Plugin Boutique is having a sale on a bundle with InstaChord, InstaScale, and MIDIQ -- only $9.90

I got the same $9.90 deal a few years ago before MIDIQ was available. Now I'm bummed that I don't have it. I see I can buy it separately for only $7.90 -- a pretty good deal, bit still bummed I have to pay extra for it.

Oh, the sad life of a plugin junkie ...
I'd bought this bundle last year, I believe it was (and have the MIDIQ with it). Haven't used Midiq yet, but I like InstaChord/Scale. For some reason I thought Scaler 2 came with that one, but of course it does not. I do have that one too, and like you, prefer that over InstaScale.

Funny, I also have Cthulu (I'm also a plugin junkie). I've used that a bit too, and I find that one good for my needs (mainly because I like the arpeggiator), but I think Scaler 2 is the better tool for most people.

I really need to log off the internet during this Black Friday sale period. lol
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-30-2020 at 02:50 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #19
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
That's kinda cool.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #20
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyFS View Post
Have used. It's a bit basic for my needs.

I found another script that's been around for quite a few years and still works great.

https://youtu.be/_Enrx5vbA6k
Old 12-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #21
Philbo King

I've found this chart to be extremely helpful when composing.

https://ledgernote.com/wp-content/up...ession-map.png

Or if you're into jazz progressions, this one is good:
http://www.redmoon-music.com/bitmaps/chordmap.jpg
Old 12-15-2020, 01:42 AM   #22
themixtape

www.musicdevelopments.com RapidComposer version 4 is pretty damn powerful. I did the first video tutorials for it way back when (7 years ago). It's gotten even more powerful, since. It also has melody generation.

You're able to put a midi melody in, and it will harmonize it for you (make chords). Very powerful. And it can be used as a plugin inside Reaper.

Scaler 2 is also dope, but mostly for chord progressions.

Each thing is a paid plugin/program, but they're worth the investment. The guy who is responsible for RapidComposer is a super-nice guy, and his stuff is worth checking out, especially his MelodyA plugin.

Lastly, there's Captain Chords... I hate cloud-based stuff, though... but certainly, the price isn't bad.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #23
kyuseok

Don't forget Microsoft Songsmith which was once a meme
Well, it does give you an accompaniment.. right?

kyuseok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #24
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I've found this chart to be extremely helpful when composing.

https://ledgernote.com/wp-content/up...ession-map.png

Or if you're into jazz progressions, this one is good:
http://www.redmoon-music.com/bitmaps/chordmap.jpg
Sorry man, those make me cross-eyed.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I always go looking for a melody or motif first. Once I have that, I try to find the right chords to accompany it.
It's fairly easy to take just a few notes of a melody and find the harmony (chords/key) that fit. Obviously the more unique notes are in the melody the closer to a particular key it is - but finding a/the key is really step 1, then it's even easier to build on that.

You can always take one of your melodies, post the notes contained here and we can show you how to find the initial chords/harmony that goes with them without any external tools. Getting even the basics of this down are extremely empowering.

Actually you can probably shortcut all of the above and just use something like the below - though I think learning how is more rewarding. It's definitely a good start though if you have a melody and want chords that go with it quickly...

https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php
Old 12-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #26
panicaftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuseok View Post
Don't forget Microsoft Songsmith which was once a meme
Well, it does give you an accompaniment.. right?

I wrote two songs with Songsmith back when it was first introduced. For each, all I had was lyrics and a rough melody. I sang it into Songsmith, and it produced bass and chords to go along with it, letting me tweak it inside Songsmith. It output MIDI, which I brought into Reaper, and then continued massaging as usual.

It was like collaborating with someone very well-versed in musical theory who could produce a quite sophisticated accompaniment, and who took no offense when I rejected their suggestions. Fun!
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:57 AM   #27
kyuseok

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicaftermath View Post
I wrote two songs with Songsmith back when it was first introduced. For each, all I had was lyrics and a rough melody. I sang it into Songsmith, and it produced bass and chords to go along with it, letting me tweak it inside Songsmith. It output MIDI, which I brought into Reaper, and then continued massaging as usual.

It was like collaborating with someone very well-versed in musical theory who could produce a quite sophisticated accompaniment, and who took no offense when I rejected their suggestions. Fun!
Indeed, it's a go-to software for dummies like me...! Absolutely have no idea of music theory, but I had a lot of fun time with it
kyuseok is offline   Reply With Quote