Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
wiggy
Human being with feelings

Default Has anyone managed to get their AW16G to work with reaper

I know this has been asked in the fairly distant past but thought I'd revisit the question in case someone has created a map to allow the AW16G to control Reaper in the same way as it can Cubase and Protools using the supplied templates.
wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
kilowhiskey
Human being with feelings

Default AW16G working with reaper.

I know this post was a long time ago but maybe my answer might still be relevant to someone.

The short answer is yes, my old AW16G was put to one side after I moved to onto the Reaper DAW, the power and -control plus the editing facilities in Reaper could not be matched by the old AW16G. However, I missed the tactile feel of the sliders and the transport control buttons. So recently I looked at integrating the AW16G as control surface device for reaper and this turned out very well and very easy to achieve.

The AW16G has a remote(Midi Master ) mode, enter this mode, select master send and then load the CUbase predefined configuration. In Reaper just use the actions list and find transport controls. For each of the start/pause, stop, record, fast forward, rewind, return to start actions just touch the AW16G button while in LEARN mode in reaper and the button function is mapped to the reaper action. Works great for me, I also mapped the first 10 faders to track volume 1-10 and faders 11 & 12 to expression and dynamics for use with orchestral plugins I have. Also I mapped the channel select buttons to the track selects and I just press these to bring the channel I'm working on into focus in reaper. The whole set up has improved my work flow.

I'm looking at extending the use of the AW16G as an audio interface also. THe AW16G has excellent audio input preamps that work especially well with powered condenser microphones, I noticed the difference when went to a behringer UMC404 interface. As there is only audio or digital audio (optical) in SPDIF format output from the AW16G I bought a SPDIF card to try it and to my surprise this works brilliantly, after some wrangles with ASIO drivers I now have digital audio stream into reaper.

So in conclusion, my old aw16g is now serving as either the midi control surface for reaper and/or a first rate all digital audio interface. Although it's old the build quality was excellent with smooth feel faders and positive tactile buttons with great feedback, so I'm very pleased to have this unit integrated into my Reaper work flow. I would have to spend a lot more money to replace it with a modern equivalent.

After I moved onto Reaper from recording and mixing with the AW16G I nearly sold it for 80UKP thinking it's usefulness had passed, very glad the deal fell through :-)....
kilowhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote