Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #481
Rosetree
Human being with feelings

Default How do you make Realearn recognize the fader and the rotary encoder of X-touch one ?

Hello~.

Thanks to your help and the videos available on the net, I can use Realearn now.
However, I just can't get Realearn to recognize the fader nor the rotary encoder of X-touch one by Behringer as the source for controlling.

If you have any idea as to what I need to be tweaking to successfully do that,
I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance and I will be waiting for your reply☆
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #482
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Aaah, you are using an ancient version of ReaLearn. Then no need to send an RPP file. Just try the new version!
Thanks!!!!!!!! Thought I'd updated it with reapack but it seems not.

That seems to have fixed it......

Thanks again
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #483
Piszpan

Quote:
That's exactly what "Conditional activation" feature is about in ReaLearn 1.11-pre2. Check it out. It's explained in the user guide for that version which you can find on the GitHub releases page.

Hint: Map those 8 buttons to one of the (new) ReaLearn parameters so that each one sets the parameter to a different value (absolute mode, by setting target min and max to the same value value), e.g. button 1 to 0%, button 2 to 1% etc. Then for each mapping use "Active: When program selected", set "Bank" to that parameter. For each napping in one group set "Program" to the same value, e.g. 1.
Nice! But I have the following question:

Will this solution send proper feedback to buttons, so that I know in which bank I am currently in? I expect it to work this way: When I e.g. switch from bank 1 to bank 2, the LED for button 1 should be automatically turned off and button's 2 LED should be lit. But then in what mode should the physical buttons be: toggle or momentary?
Unfortunately, I don't have the X Touch Mini at the moment to check it myself.
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #484
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piszpan View Post
Nice! But I have the following question:

Will this solution send proper feedback to buttons, so that I know in which bank I am currently in? I expect it to work this way: When I e.g. switch from bank 1 to bank 2, the LED for button 1 should be automatically turned off and button's 2 LED should be lit. But then in what mode should the physical buttons be: toggle or momentary?
Unfortunately, I don't have the X Touch Mini at the moment to check it myself.
Not sure now if the LED of the button which is out of the target range (the currently inactive one) will be switched off. If not, then this is something I need to add. It would make sense in general (independent of the conditional activation feature).

With ReaLearn, the hardware buttons should ALWAYS be in momentary mode, never toggle mode. Then ReaLearn has full control over the button's function and can create its own "toggle" mode. Need to add that to the docs.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #485
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetree View Post
Hello~.

Thanks to your help and the videos available on the net, I can use Realearn now.
However, I just can't get Realearn to recognize the fader nor the rotary encoder of X-touch one by Behringer as the source for controlling.

If you have any idea as to what I need to be tweaking to successfully do that,
I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance and I will be waiting for your reply☆
Have you checked all the hints in the user guide in the "Troubleshooting" section? Also, I can imagine that Behringer X-Touch has multiple modes (MCU, HUI, generic MIDI, etc.). You need to make sure that it is in MIDI mode.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #486
X-Raym

Nice to see this on reapack :P

I added it to reapack.com repo list,

it should be public soon.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:29 AM   #487
DanAndr

Default Some text isn't displaying properly

Some text isn't displaying properly

ReaLearn 1.10, Reaper 6.13, windows 7 Sp1.

https://ibb.co/mSWWLN6
https://ibb.co/cgKCp9j
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip_2_resize.jpg (61.6 KB, 182 views)
DanAndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #488
Piszpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAndr View Post
Some text isn't displaying properly

ReaLearn 1.10, Reaper 6.13, windows 7 Sp1.

https://ibb.co/mSWWLN6
https://ibb.co/cgKCp9j
I had the same issue.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #489
helgoboss

Quote:
I had the same issue.
Do you also have Windows 7?
Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #490
Piszpan

Quote:
Do you also have Windows 7?
Yes. Win7/64.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #491
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 1.11.0 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #11 Added feature 'conditional activation' for (de)activating mappings based on parameter values
- #8 Added transport target with proper feedback (play/pause, play/stop, record, repeat)
- #20 Added option to send feedback after each control cycle
- #27 Added possibility to further specify "Out of range" behavior (the new option "Min" is especially useful for mappings where a button sets a target to a specific constant value)
- #26 Improved installation instructions and added controller tips to the documentation
- #158 Improved usability by showing hierarchical folder structure in track dropdown
- #19 Improved usability by asking user for confirmation before removing a mapping
- #19 Improved usability by simplifying mapping window title
- #28 Fixed strange and unreliable feedback if target min is equal to target max
- #24 Fixed bug that caused "FX must have focus" to not work at all with floating windows and work incorrectly when in FX chain
- Fixed action targets reporting wrong character, leading to wrong auto correction behavior
Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #492
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Thank you, HelgoBoss
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #493
Piszpan

Helgoboss,
thanks for the update! Focusing works OK now.

However, I still have this erratic behavior regarding first letters in parameter names. See the screencap:

https://imgur.com/a/UyWruBU

(Win7 x64 SP1, Reaper v6.13 x64)

Last edited by Piszpan; 09-17-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #494
helgoboss

Quote:
Helgoboss,
thanks for the update! Focusing works OK now.

However, I still have this erratic behavior regarding first letters in parameter names. See the screencap:

https://imgur.com/a/UyWruBU

(Win7 x64 SP1, Reaper v6.13 x64)
Yes, haven't fixed that one yet. This happens already since v1.10.0, right? Honestly, I didn't even think about Windows 7. I thought nobody uses it anymore but looks like I'm wrong. Need to fire up some Win 7 VM soon ... so far I've absolutely no idea what could cause this.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #495
Piszpan

Quote:
Yes, haven't fixed that one yet. This happens already since v1.10.0, right? Honestly, I didn't even think about Windows 7. I thought nobody uses it anymore but looks like I'm wrong. Need to fire up some Win 7 VM soon ... so far I've absolutely no idea what could cause this.
If it helps, I could check previous versions and trace when was this introduced.

BTW: Does v1.11 support already proper feedback from bank switches?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #496
helgoboss

Quote:
If it helps, I could check previous versions and trace when was this introduced.

BTW: Does v1.11 support already proper feedback from bank switches?
Yes, by setting "Out of range" to "Min" for that button.

It's okay, I'm relatively sure it must have been introduced with 1.10.0.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:01 AM   #497
paat

Hi, I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, but if I have MIDI control input set explicitly to my controller (Korg NanoKontrol2) then ReaLearn has to be behind the plugin it's controlling in the FX chain, for the instrument plugin to receive MIDI data. If I put ReaLearn before the instrument, it appears as though ReaLearn swallows the incoming MIDI. "Let unmatched events through" is unchecked, and disabled so I can't check it.

If I change to <FX input>, I can put ReaLearn before the instrument with no problems.

I don't know if there are any problems with putting ReaLearn after the instrument - it seems to work okay so far - but it was surprising to me, and I would tend to think of putting ReaLearn before the instrument.

Also, the controller plugin responds differently if the track is record-armed or not. When it is record-armed, the instrument immediately responds to movements from my controller. But when the track is not record-armed, it's sluggish - it doesn't respond as quickly or as smoothly.
paat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #498
wolfereeno

I'm loving realearn! I'm using reaper as a VST host for synth and sampler plugins for live performance.

I'm controlling it with a midifightertwister to turn channel MUTE on and off and adjust each track's volume. It's working really well.

Question: is there any way I can achieve the affect of the channels fading in and out instead of hard muting? Like a few seconds to fad in or out based on pressing the controller button.

(the reason is I'm doing this from drums and it would be a lot easier to control smooth transitions instead of abrupt changes)

Thx!!
wolfereeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #499
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by paat View Post
Hi, I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, but if I have MIDI control input set explicitly to my controller (Korg NanoKontrol2) then ReaLearn has to be behind the plugin it's controlling in the FX chain, for the instrument plugin to receive MIDI data. If I put ReaLearn before the instrument, it appears as though ReaLearn swallows the incoming MIDI. "Let unmatched events through" is unchecked, and disabled so I can't check it.

If I change to <FX input>, I can put ReaLearn before the instrument with no problems.

I don't know if there are any problems with putting ReaLearn after the instrument - it seems to work okay so far - but it was surprising to me, and I would tend to think of putting ReaLearn before the instrument.

Also, the controller plugin responds differently if the track is record-armed or not. When it is record-armed, the instrument immediately responds to movements from my controller. But when the track is not record-armed, it's sluggish - it doesn't respond as quickly or as smoothly.
Well, I could change ReaLearn so that it lets FX input MIDI through if you choose a MIDI device in the dropdown. I guess that would make sense. Having said that, it doesn't make any difference otherwise where you put ReaLearn within the FX chain. This difference is only important if you use <FX input> or <FX output>.

Concerning the record-arm thing, best send a RPP file with only Cockos plugins to info@helgoboss.org that reproduces the issue. Do you have ReaLearn on input FX maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post
I'm loving realearn! I'm using reaper as a VST host for synth and sampler plugins for live performance.

I'm controlling it with a midifightertwister to turn channel MUTE on and off and adjust each track's volume. It's working really well.

Question: is there any way I can achieve the affect of the channels fading in and out instead of hard muting? Like a few seconds to fad in or out based on pressing the controller button.

(the reason is I'm doing this from drums and it would be a lot easier to control smooth transitions instead of abrupt changes)

Thx!!
Mmh, no. Either you do the fade with a fader/knob/encoder or you find/program a JS/VST plugin that let's you trigger volume envelopes (I think Glitch would work). I wouldn't be surprised if this exists already as JS FX. Maybe in a more distant future ReaLearn can trigger target value envelopes, but right now this is out of scope.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #500
Steviebone

Quote:
I will likely never move from Win/7 for my DAW. I like the stability. I don't like how Win 10 is always forcing updates and then crashing. My DAW is a single use box. Closed system. It works. Please keep supporting 7 if you can.

Thank you. Your product is the one of the cornerstones of my rig.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #501
jnastic

Little typo in the GUI (picture included).
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (16.6 KB, 174 views)
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #502
cjunekim

Default Pages/Scene functionality?

Hi

Thanks for this wonderful contribution!

Is there a pages/scenes functionality in realearn? I mean, you have a set of mapping for your midi controller, and you want to extend it by changing the page/scene to another one via a midi button so that your next set of mapping is loaded reaplcing the current one. Normally, it provided by the midi controller itself, but for some midi controllers which don't have this feature, it would be a great idea.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #503
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
Hi

Thanks for this wonderful contribution!

Is there a pages/scenes functionality in realearn? I mean, you have a set of mapping for your midi controller, and you want to extend it by changing the page/scene to another one via a midi button so that your next set of mapping is loaded reaplcing the current one. Normally, it provided by the midi controller itself, but for some midi controllers which don't have this feature, it would be a great idea.
Yes, that's available. Have a look at the "Conditional activation" feature in the user guide. For a mapping to take part in a scene, "Active" needs to be set to "When program selected". Program = scene = page.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #504
cjunekim

Quote:
Yes, that's available. Have a look at the "Conditional activation" feature in the user guide. For a mapping to take part in a scene, "Active" needs to be set to "When program selected". Program = scene = page.
Thanks! I knew that there would be a way to accomplish this easily in realearn!
Old 09-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #505
TonE

Interesting to read about this feature even I did not try the new ReaLearn yet, at some point I will it for sure. Alone because of this feature, which can make even small controllers powerful. My ideal small midi controller is a mechanical rgb qwerty.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #506
Piszpan

Regarding that conditional activation method to switch pages:

A template or just an example would be very helpful.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #507
cjunekim

Default feedback transformation bug?

I am not sure I really understood the internal calculation model of source and target values.

Pick a midi button(momentary) and make it as a source, and add reacomp and set its Lowpass to the target. The Mode could be Absolute for example. As you are holding down the button, the Lowpass will go to its maximum at 20000hz, and will go back to 0hz when the button is released. It works okay.

When Target's Min is at 0% and Max is at any number between 0% to 50%, and the feedback transformation string is set to y=1-x, the feedback value becomes very strange.

The feedback output is always 127, which I checked via a virtual MIDI cable. Always, whether you press or release the button. You could change the Target Max to 49%, 30%, 20% or anything and the feedback output stays the same at 127. However, when you set the transformation string to y=x, it works as expected.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #508
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
I am not sure I really understood the internal calculation model of source and target values.

Pick a midi button(momentary) and make it as a source, and add reacomp and set its Lowpass to the target. The Mode could be Absolute for example. As you are holding down the button, the Lowpass will go to its maximum at 20000hz, and will go back to 0hz when the button is released. It works okay.

When Target's Min is at 0% and Max is at any number between 0% to 50%, and the feedback transformation string is set to y=1-x, the feedback value becomes very strange.

The feedback output is always 127, which I checked via a virtual MIDI cable. Always, whether you press or release the button. You could change the Target Max to 49%, 30%, 20% or anything and the feedback output stays the same at 127. However, when you set the transformation string to y=x, it works as expected.
I responded in your GitHub issue. Your feedback transformation formulas are incorrect. Let me know what you want to achieve with the transformation.

@Piszpan: You mean in addition to the example in the user guide? Or a more detailed example then in the guide? I think an example project would be easy to do and most helpful. BTW, contributions always welcome.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #509
cjunekim

Quote:
I responded in your GitHub issue. Your feedback transformation formulas are incorrect. Let me know what you want to achieve with the transformation.

@Piszpan: You mean in addition to the example in the user guide? Or a more detailed example then in the guide? I think an example project would be easy to do and most helpful. BTW, contributions always welcome.
Sorry for my typo here. I recorded a screencast that shows the issue. Hope this clears the misunderstanding.

When the target is 50% or lower, the feedback transformation(reversal) behaves strangely, outputing 127 only.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #510
Piszpan

Quote:
A simple working example containing e.g. 3 pages/banks, each with 3 parameters would be enough. Of course made for some popular controller (BCR2000, X Touch Mini, Akai Midimix or Korg Nanokontrol) and for some free (or stock Reaper) plugin.

We could then paste this text into Realearn and see how exactly it should be done.

Last edited by Piszpan; 09-24-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #511
Sherazad

Reporting about "Send Feedback after control"

Control surface: behringer x touch compact

The former issue was that when buttons are in momentary mode the control surface turns the led off when you release the button, "overriding" the feedback status sent by ReaLearn (in case you want to use the button as toggle).

The new feature "Send Feedback after control" solves this problem as one would expect. When the button is released ReaLearn sends again a message to the control surface and the button is properly lit!

Wonderful, thanks a lot
Sherazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:23 AM   #512
tohubohu

Hello
I have this problem only in "touch" mode with Realearn. The automation curve points register with a bug. It is not linear.
See on the link the gif.
Have you ever heard of this problem please? thank you

https://www.loom.com/share/6a5b2dea8...3ab235367839ff
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #513
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohubohu View Post
Hello
I have this problem only in "touch" mode with Realearn. The automation curve points register with a bug. It is not linear.
See on the link the gif.
Have you ever heard of this problem please? thank you

https://www.loom.com/share/6a5b2dea8...3ab235367839ff
Reminds me of this issue (where ReaLearn wasn't involved):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=171936

Some others confirmed the problem with touch automation there, so maybe rather a Reaper than a ReaLearn issue?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #514
tohubohu

thank you.
there does not seem to have solutions ?!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #515
tohubohu

i suspected realearn because i have no automation problem
this kind without realearn.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #516
ChocolateHawkins

Anyone here currently using an original Beatstep with Realearn? I use an X Touch Mini which works flawless with feedback, but I can not get the Beatstep encoders to respond to feedback. Any ideas on what I might be missing?

Another issue I've noticed with Realearn is when I map to a VCA master fader, the VCA follow functions (fader, solo, mute, etc.) do not work. Is this a common issue?
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #517
jpchartrand

I'm trying to save an FX chain that has mappings to Relearn. I save Realearn with the FX chain. My issue is that if I add the FX chain in other tracks that already have FXs, the mappings are all messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jpchartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #518
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Anyone here currently using an original Beatstep with Realearn? I use an X Touch Mini which works flawless with feedback, but I can not get the Beatstep encoders to respond to feedback. Any ideas on what I might be missing?
The Beatstep firmware only supports MIDI Note events as feedback and only the colour red. This has nothing to do with ReaLearn.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #519
ChocolateHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
The Beatstep firmware only supports MIDI Note events as feedback and only the colour red. This has nothing to do with ReaLearn.
That's a bummer.

Another thing I've noticed is that with Realearn, setting up track solo does not do the exclusive solo/solo in place, it only does solo - so no routing goes with it.

Anyone have any work arounds?
Old 10-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #520
ChocolateHawkins

I've got the beatstep knobs receiving feedback no problem now.

My only struggle at this point is the solo mode in Realearn. It doesn't follow the preference settings for solo, or the default solo mode. (So anywhere a track is sent, be it a bus or parent folder doesn't follow the solo function)

Has anyone run in to this or know a workaround? X-Raym has an "exclusive solo selected track" action which I can setup to have a SELECT TRACK X action first, but it doesn't toggle the solo. I have to tie another button to unsolo.

I suppose the other option is to mock up a solo function by having it mute all other busses than the target bus.