Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
MaCs
Human being with feelings

Default v5.81pre9 - May 7 2018

v5.81pre9 - May 7 2018
  • + Automation items: avoid setting point shape to square when FX is offlined [t=206454]
  • + MIDI editor: add screenset tracking of editability
  • + MIDI editor: fix next/previous note navigation/selection issues [t=206404]
  • + Virtual MIDI keyboard: passthrough most shift-modified keys to main window [t=194984]
  • # MIDI editor: do not zoom to show all notes when using note folding and switching context to an item with no notes
  • # MIDI editor: fix opening after having loaded certain screensets [p=1986842]
  • # MIDI editor: improve track list auto-scroll to use edit cursor when it intersects the item
  • # MIDI editor: improve track list doubleclick behaviors
  • # MIDI editor: optimize note-folding calculations
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
MaCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

OK we're at that point in the pre cycle where let's only discuss regressions from 5.80, thank you!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCs View Post
[*]# MIDI editor: fix opening after having loaded certain screensets [p=1986842]
Quick check of same project seems good.

I'll try on main daw later.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
[*]+ MIDI editor: add screenset tracking of editability
I have a project template that I load on startup in Reaper. This one used to open with docked MIDI editor on my second monitor, empty (no items open in it). In this pre it opens without MIDI editor at all. If I try to recreate the screenset from scratch so that it does contain the MIDI editor again, it works, but only until the next time I open Reaper, when it again opens without MIDI editor.

I have a global startup action (SWS) triggering screenset #1 on Reaper open.

Basically this pre broke my screenset, and I cannot recreate it how it was so that it sticks.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
OK we're at that point in the pre cycle where let's only discuss regressions from 5.80, thank you!
Hi Justin,
I reported the same behaviour for several prereleases but I never got any feedback:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=23

I understand if it isn't implemented in this particular cycle, but I would like to know if it will be considered, so that I can stop posting it and reporting it over and over.

I believe it's strictly related to the midi editor workflow and should be looked upon.

Thanks a lot and all the best
-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
DANIELE

I don't know if I can say this at this point, don't know if it is a regression.

Sometimes I use CTRL + ARROWS to move one or more notes in the midi editor. I noticed that is less fine than in previous versions.
I don't have so much time so I don't know when it is happened. I don't know if there is an option to set the amount of space the notes has to move every time I press that buttons combination.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
juliansader

Quote:
v5.81pre9 - May 7 2018[*]+ MIDI editor: fix next/previous note navigation/selection issues [t=206404]
Unfortunately this is not completely fixed. Whenever the action encounters notes in a chord (with the exact same start position), it gets stuck after adding one or two notes (same as in this GIF from pre7):

(In this example, "Add next note" gets stuck after selecting a *previous* note in the raw MIDI stream.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Unfortunately this is not completely fixed. Whenever the action encounters notes in a chord (with the exact same start position), it gets stuck after adding one or two notes (same as in this GIF from pre7):

(In this example, "Add next note" gets stuck after selecting a *previous* note in the raw MIDI stream.)
Ah thanks I think I've duplicated.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
Hi Justin,
I reported the same behaviour for several prereleases but I never got any feedback:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=23

I understand if it isn't implemented in this particular cycle, but I would like to know if it will be considered, so that I can stop posting it and reporting it over and over.

I believe it's strictly related to the midi editor workflow and should be looked upon.

Thanks a lot and all the best
-t
I've looked at your request and it should be in the FR forum, they are not terribly straightforward (to me) so I don't think it will happen in the immediate future.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Can you duplicate the screenset issue with docked empty MIDI editor?

Here's my screensets.ini. Try to use it in pre8 vs pre9 (set up calling screenset #1 as a global startup action). Needs dual monitor.
Attached Files
File Type: ini reaper-screensets.ini (45.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Can you duplicate the screenset issue with docked empty MIDI editor?

Here's my screensets.ini. Try to use it in pre8 vs pre9 (set up calling screenset #1 as a global startup action). Needs dual monitor.
Yeah, I know why this is and will fix it.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
EvilDragon

Ah great, thank you!

Justin saves the day once again
Old 05-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Ameliance SkyMusic

v5.81pre9 - May 7 2018
+ Automation items: avoid setting point shape to square when FX is offlined [t=206454]

Unfortunately, everything works as it did

Ameliance SkyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliance SkyMusic View Post
v5.81pre9 - May 7 2018
+ Automation items: avoid setting point shape to square when FX is offlined [t=206454]

Unfortunately, everything works as it did

Thanks -- it's only broken now for the first parameter, I believe, but fixing!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
tusitala

Quote:
I've looked at your request and it should be in the FR forum, they are not terribly straightforward (to me) so I don't think it will happen in the immediate future.
Thanks for your reply!
I'll make sure to add them to the FR...but I thought that the opening/closing of the midi editor and the zoom/focus issues where part of this Prereleases cycle, no ?
(I was one of the original posters who reported issues with the Midi Editor)
Let me know if anything wasn't clear and I'll try and be more specific.

Thanks again!
all the best
-t
Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!
I'll make sure to add them to the FR...but I thought that the opening/closing of the midi editor and the zoom/focus issues where part of this Prereleases cycle, no ?
(I was one of the original posters who reported issues with the Midi Editor)
Let me know if anything wasn't clear and I'll try and be more specific.

Thanks again!
all the best
-t
With respect to zoom being changed when switching between the piano roll and score editor -- this will not be addressed at this time.

If there's a situation where closing the MIDI editor completely and then reopening it produces unexpected zoom, then post steps to reproduce and I'll take a look!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
Klangfarben

I just wanted to say thank you to Justin for all the work on the midi editor lately. I think there's a lot of strong feelings on this as for those of us who edit midi all day, even small changes can be huge time savers. Justin has been extremely accommodating to everyone and I think is also showing a lot of restraint in trying to keep all the pre-release cycles on target without it becoming unmanageable with everyone's requests.

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that a lot of these fixes and changes haven't been dealt with in a long time and some not at all, so I think we also need to show some patience on our end. It took a long time for example for automation items to get close to a finished refined state and a lot of pre-release cycles. I think it's the same situation here. All the changes, fixes and refinements people want in the midi editor are not going to happen in a couple pre-release cycles.

Not only that but the more cycles the midi editor goes through the more chance all of us have to discuss with everyone else and Justin how things should ideally work and to refine both those ideas and how they are implemented. Since we don't always agree and have varying opinions, that discussion is important as well.

So let's let the midi editor keep evolving. It's not going to get wrapped up in 5.81 or 5.8.2 or 5.8.3. And let's help Justin out by making thorough step-by-step reports not just screen grabs. If making a feature request related to the pre-release cycle, state the requested behavior, compare it to current behavior and state the argument for why that would be better than the current implementation. And if Justin asks for regression bugs only, please do that. He's asked twice now on this pre-release. That means only report something if it broke somewhere between the last release version and the current pre-release.

Again, I know how strongly all of us feel on this one. I completely rely on the midi editor for my everyday work. But Justin is doing solid work here and really trying to accommodate our requests. Let's help him do that.

Last edited by Klangfarben; 05-07-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
And let's help Justin out by making thorough step-by-step reports not just screen grabs.
Yeah, this one would be extremely helpful!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Fully agreed with mr. Soundcolors.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #20
tusitala

Quote:
With respect to zoom being changed when switching between the piano roll and score editor -- this will not be addressed at this time.

If there's a situation where closing the MIDI editor completely and then reopening it produces unexpected zoom, then post steps to reproduce and I'll take a look!
Thanks!

Here's the step by step sequence to reproduce one of the behaviours I'm reporting

with these midi editor settings:

- place cursor at bar 65

- Select an Item (a quite long item, that starts at bar 53 and ends at bar 350)

- Open MIDI Editor with key command, the editor shows the whole length of the item

- zoom in to see just around 10/15 bars (from 65 'till 80 for example)

- close the MIDI Editor with key command

- Open the MIDI Editor again with Key command

Now the zoom goes back to the whole length of the item, requiring to zoom back again all the time I open/close the editor to keep on working on the bars I was working on

If I had a second monitor this wouldn't be a problem as I wold leave the Midi editor open all the time, but unfortunately I don't at the moment and I need to close/open all the time.

Hope it's clear now.

Thanks again for your support
All the best
Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks!

Here's the step by step sequence to reproduce one of the behaviours I'm reporting

with these midi editor settings:

- place cursor at bar 65

- Select an Item (a quite long item, that starts at bar 53 and ends at bar 350)

- Open MIDI Editor with key command, the editor shows the whole length of the item

- zoom in to see just around 10/15 bars (from 65 'till 80 for example)

- close the MIDI Editor with key command

- Open the MIDI Editor again with Key command

Now the zoom goes back to the whole length of the item, requiring to zoom back again all the time I open/close the editor to keep on working on the bars I was working on

If I had a second monitor this wouldn't be a problem as I wold leave the Midi editor open all the time, but unfortunately I don't at the moment and I need to close/open all the time.
Thanks for posting this -- I've followed your instructions with these settings, but I can't duplicate.

What action are you using to open the MIDI editor? I'm using "Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)".

What action are you using to close the MIDI editor? (Escape key?)

What "Piano roll timebase" is set? Edit: aha! Are you in "Source beats" timebase? I can duplicate it there.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
tusitala

Quote:
Thanks for posting this -- I've followed your instructions with these settings, but I can't duplicate.

What action are you using to open the MIDI editor? I'm using "Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)".

What action are you using to close the MIDI editor? (Escape key?)

What "Piano roll timebase" is set? Edit: aha! Are you in "Source beats" timebase? I can duplicate it there.

Hi Justin!

I'm using:
"Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)" to open
"Escape key" to close

Piano roll timebase is set to "Project Beats", I have to be honest I never set that, I don't even know what it is :-) so I guess it must be the default setting as I've never touched it.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by tusitala; 05-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Justin!

I'm using:
"Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)" to open
"Escape key" to close

Piano roll timebase is set to "Project Beats", I have to be honest I never set that, I don't even know what it is :-) so I guess it must be the default setting as I've never touched it.

Thanks a lot!
Can you send your reaper.ini and the .rpp file in question? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #24
tusitala

Quote:
Can you send your reaper.ini and the .rpp file in question? Thanks.
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: ini reaper.ini (30.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: rpp Scroll_Focus_Bug.RPP (13.9 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks!
Thanks, I've tested your project with your .ini, and didn't have the problem.

Is it possible you're running the action to open the MIDI editor twice? If I run it twice, I get that behavior (which is expected), but running it a single time with the MIDI editor closed, I can't reproduce.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
tusitala

Quote:
Thanks, I've tested your project with your .ini, and didn't have the problem.

Is it possible you're running the action to open the MIDI editor twice? If I run it twice, I get that behavior (which is expected), but running it a single time with the MIDI editor closed, I can't reproduce.
Thanks Justin...you’re right! I forgot I had created a custom action called PIANO ROLL with the “open midi editor” twice, because I assigned the same key command (F1) to “Piano roll”in the Midi Editor context, as I wanted to be able to choose between opening in Piano roll view or in Notation view or Event list. By that I mean, from the tracks window, selecting an item, and being able with a single keystroke to open Piano Roll, or Notation, or Event List, that’s why I created that custom action.

...but Reaper always reopens the editor with the last “view” it was using, which makes perfect sense actually.

Again I think I’m aiming at havin separate editors that can be indipendent from each other, but that’s another story.

I deleted my custom action, and now just using the single “open in built MIDI editor” and then closing and reopening, the zoom level gets preserved! :-)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #27
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Justin...you’re right! I forgot I had created a custom action called PIANO ROLL with the “open midi editor” twice, because I assigned the same key command (F1) to “Piano roll”in the Midi Editor context, as I wanted to be able to choose between opening in Piano roll view or in Notation view or Event list. By that I mean, from the tracks window, selecting an item, and being able with a single keystroke to open Piano Roll, or Notation, or Event List, that’s why I created that custom action.

...but Reaper always reopens the editor with the last “view” it was using, which makes perfect sense actually.

Again I think I’m aiming at havin separate editors that can be indipendent from each other, but that’s another story.

I deleted my custom action, and now just using the single “open in built MIDI editor” and then closing and reopening, the zoom level gets preserved! :-)
Glad that's sorted! At least I fixed a "source beats" timebase issue or two while I was in there...
Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #28
deeb

hi! i am not sure if this the expected behaviour for this situation
the zoom level gets lost second time i enter midi editor.

i enter the midi editor and leave by clicking Enter key

Last edited by deeb; 05-07-2018 at 07:53 PM.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #29
juliansader

Quote:
[*]# MIDI editor: improve track list doubleclick behaviors
Double-clicking a track's "Target for inserting" icon seems to zoom out to the entire project, instead of only the item(s) on that specific track.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-07-2018 at 11:49 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #30
tusitala

Quote:
Glad that's sorted! At least I fixed a "source beats" timebase issue or two while I was in there...
Thanks Justin! Much appreciate your support.
And glad you managed to fix something else as well in the meanwhile.

All the best
-t
Old 05-08-2018, 03:52 AM   #31
FnA

Quote:
Yeah, I know why this is and will fix it.
The editability screen sets seem like a really powerful feature! We're going to need more.

Haven't figured out all the rules yet. Maybe what you will do regarding quote above will affect things? For example, I try to save one with one track items just visible, one being active. When I recall it, the editor closes.

Kind of a "heads up" rather than asking for something at this point, because I haven't figured out simple steps to reproduce yet. Or if these are even tied to using the screensets. I hope more people are testing them. These also might be "project sync" specific.
1. First time I tried them was in older project made during this cycle. I save a screen set with one Editable item on each of four tracks, and visible items across one of those. When I double click a (edit. Background midi note in a) visible item the editor zooms out to about three times project length. Arrange stays the same. Loses its sync.
2. Trying on new project, I was drag copying notes and it morphed into copyin media items. The editor being on a different monitor than arrange, so wasn't a slip of the mouse. I haven't tested a whole lot on this dual monitor setup. Also, It was after turning on "enable extend", which I have not been testing really.

Will try to narrow down to something concrete later. Hopefully some others are testing. It seems to me it might be better if it was per project, but maybe global is for people using templates?

Last edited by FnA; 05-08-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #32
nofish

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add screenset tracking of editability
Could someone explain what this does please ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:45 AM   #33
EvilDragon

Might mean that screensets/track sets keep editability state of MIDI items...
Old 05-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #34
FnA

It does. Either it requires Windows Screenset with at least first two boxes checked or I didn't do something right with track view screenset.

Maybe it doesn't require first box. Didn't work until I checked second.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 AM   #35
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Double-clicking a track's "Target for inserting" icon seems to zoom out to the entire project, instead of only the item(s) on that specific track.
Edit: oops thanks fixing!

Last edited by Justin; 05-08-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #36
ovnis

Quote:
Might mean that screensets/track sets keep editability state of MIDI items...
Is it not already the case with "one midi editor per track" or "one midi editor per media item" ?
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #37
deeb

sorry justin! maybe not the right time but is it the future behaviour you want when zoom get's changed on multiple selected midi items as i showed in my previous post? zoom is ignored when multiple items are selected
Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #38
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
sorry justin! maybe not the right time but is it the future behaviour you want when zoom get's changed on multiple selected midi items as i showed in my previous post? zoom is ignored when multiple items are selected
If you can provide a screenshot of your MIDI editor preferences exact steps to reproduce and a project I can take a look, but the .gif you posted wasn't helpful (there were too many questions for me to ask). Normally the zoom is not changed, but there may be some big set of conditions that you have set causing this.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #39
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
...These also might be "project sync" specific.
1. First time I tried them was in older project made during this cycle. I save a screen set with one Editable item on each of four tracks, and visible items across one of those. When I double click a (edit. Background midi note in a) visible item the editor zooms out to about three times project length. Arrange stays the same. Loses its sync.
This is not tied to screensets. It happens in 5.80 too. Sorry. Easy to reproduce, however. Seems not very major. Zooming or clicking arrange seems to restore it.

Bug: opening item with different playrate causes editor to shrink or expand zoom level, and becomes unsynced from arrange.

Make a track with several items.
Stretch the last say ten times as long.
Select all items.
Double click last item to open midi editor.
Double click background note in unstretched item.
Should zoom to way past end of project in midi editor, but not arrange.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #40
deeb

Quote:
If you can provide a screenshot of your MIDI editor preferences exact steps to reproduce and a project I can take a look, but the .gif you posted wasn't helpful (there were too many questions for me to ask). Normally the zoom is not changed, but there may be some big set of conditions that you have set causing this.
ok ! Thank you! i have sent an email to support