Old 05-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Tom Toms
Human being with feelings

Default To Any Guitarist(s) Out There

Hello.

I am a drummer, originally, but I am trying to branch out a little. I have some Bass tracks paired with some drumming that are screaming for some guitar (rhythm and lead) work.

So... I am wondering if there are any electric guitar players here that might be interested in adding to these tracks.

If so, please let me know how to proceed. I can provide drum and bass tracks, separately or together, along with bpm, scale(s) used and whatever else you might need.
TIA
Tom Toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Toms View Post
Hello.

I am a drummer, originally, but I am trying to branch out a little. I have some Bass tracks paired with some drumming that are screaming for some guitar (rhythm and lead) work.

So... I am wondering if there are any electric guitar players here that might be interested in adding to these tracks.

If so, please let me know how to proceed. I can provide drum and bass tracks, separately or together, along with bpm, scale(s) used and whatever else you might need.
TIA

I would say: proceed by posting below some links (URL) where we can listen to the mix you currently have going.

Different strokes for different folks - some people may like the style of music you are doing and feel they have something to contribute.

Without samples (temperature) it's hard to know whether or not we want to dive into the pool (end of metaphor).

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
DaveKeehl

I agree with RDBOIS (I'm a guitarist)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
soundchaser59

Let's hear it. Need something to jam with, to see if any inspiration hits.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Tom Toms

Default A couple of examples

Hey Guys.

Okay, so here is a link to a couple of example songs I have been playing with. One, "Geez", is bass and drums and the other, "Position for Transition", has drums, bass and two acoustic guitars.

The drums are MT Power and all of the guitars are from Ample. i.e. I used only Reaper and a couple of free VSTis to compose the two songs.

Hopefully, these will give you guys a chance to hear some of what I am doing. Oh ya, I haven't written any lyrics yet, though some may be in the works soon. A writer I know has expressed interest, so I am keeping my fingers crossed

I do have more material and I am writing most days, unfortunately, my guitar playing is not up to the task and I cannot seem to get a tone I like. Ample Lite does an okay job with acoustic, but I cannot get a decent electric guitar sound and that is really what I am looking for.

Please let me know what you think. TIA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...G9KNmo3S2trNFk
Old 05-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Dimaension X

BPM is always valuable when sending or sharing tracks online. This way, everything is properly sync'd if we need to copy-paste and move things around.

I'm taking a crack at these - I need a challenge.

Actually, here is a great video that shows how to prepare "stems", or audio clips of separated tracks for sharing.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#rJQxJBemmRE

Last edited by Dimaension X; 05-26-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
Dimaension X

OK- I created a google drive link (I think) so you should be able to download a folder with both of my attempts. Each folder has my mixed MP3, and another folder with the separate stems. I was able to figure out the BPMs for each song.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Za...d9y5V5swJnQDa_

"Geez" was pretty straightforward, so I just did some really simple unison double-tracked guitars.

The other one was tricky, so I just did some improvising over it.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
Tom Toms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
BPM is always valuable when sending or sharing tracks online. This way, everything is properly sync'd if we need to copy-paste and move things around.

I'm taking a crack at these - I need a challenge.

Actually, here is a great video that shows how to prepare "stems", or audio clips of separated tracks for sharing.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#rJQxJBemmRE
Awesome. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I have watched many of Kenny's great videos, but I seem to have missed that one. Might be because until last night I had no idea what stems were. Now I do

I have created the bass and drum stems for both songs. All are without extra processing, panned center, etc. Oh ya... and the filenames now contain the BPM.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Tom Toms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
OK- I created a google drive link (I think) so you should be able to download a folder with both of my attempts. Each folder has my mixed MP3, and another folder with the separate stems. I was able to figure out the BPMs for each song.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Za...d9y5V5swJnQDa_

"Geez" was pretty straightforward, so I just did some really simple unison double-tracked guitars.

The other one was tricky, so I just did some improvising over it.
So cool. I love the guitar work in Geez. Quite similar to what I had in mind, but could not create. As my writer and I work on lyric ideas I may want to make changes... Would you be interested in working on that song a little more?

Holy cow, man... How the heck did you get those tones in Position for Transition? Crazy stuff. I agree that it would be really tough to do anything with the Ample guitars in there, so I have put the stems up at the same link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qd...dhNdS-i74hSG6q

It would be cool if you could give that one another go. The VSTi guitars I added really flavour the style of the song. I would love to hear another interpretation using just my bass and drum tracks and some guitar work. Also, I could remove/change some of the bass track so that the guitars could play off of the bass. The bass line is a little busy LOL

Thanks again, man. It is awesome hearing my composition come to life like that. The feeling is almost as cool as playing live with other musicians.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
Dimaension X

Sorry I haven't responded - I just haven't had any time to work on these. Please feel free to work with the clips I sent, go ahead and chop up/edit/copy/paste, etc.

And anyone else who wants to jump in and do something, please give it a try.