Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-18-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default OT(ish): hardware question regarding nvme

i looked for a reaper hardware forum and didn't find one that wasn't all about midi so i figured i'd post here since i am running kubuntu.

i've had my system for 6+ years and it's starting to show some wear. mouse is getting sticky sometimes, which seems to coincide with usb devices (keyboards, keypads, faders, etc) starting to freeze with their backlights flashing off and on. hasn't been happening enough to crash my system but it has caused me to start looking into upgrading.

one area i've only just started to look at is the rise of nvme storage. it looks like this is what people are now using rather than sata ssds. it gives me some concerns as i have a workflow based around the option to swap drives, both storage and os.

i'm using a rack mounted case that has a pile of kingwin caddies in it. i use five of these to swap out both older conventional drives as well as 2.5" ssds for project storage. i also use another to swap out my os drive, another 2.5" ssd. i use this to swap between linux (which has been my go to os for some time now), windows, and occasionally, osx.

my question is, is such a scheme possible if one is running an nvme boot system? it's not something i know anything about. is it even possible to swap devices, as i've gotten used to doing, without digging into the guts of the case? the kingwins give access to my boot drives right from the front of the box. is there anything like that for nvme?

sorry for the long post. i just don't even really know how to ask about this.

thanks for any guidance,
babag

Last edited by babag; 02-18-2021 at 12:41 AM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
Glennbo

They mount into a slot on the motherboard, so changing one out would be closer to changing out RAM than what swapping a 2.5 SSD is like.

Edit:

Did a bit of looking around though and IcyDock has this thing that appears to have little cages to mount NVMe drives into that can then be hot swapped. I'm guessing they have a cable that goes to the motherboard.

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=334

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-18-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
babag

thanks for that glennbo! great to know. hopefully they can be bootable when mounted this way.

thanks again,
babag
Old 02-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
PMan

You might also look into the U.2 form factor. That is for 2.5" drives, but it is NVMe, not SATA. I think it's more of an enterprise/data center format, so they can get pricey...
You should be able to find a rack mountable cage for U.2 drives.
Here is a link for U.2 SSDs to newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=u.2+ss...96%20100011695
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
babag

thanks, pman. i see what you mean by pricey in some of those drives.

babag
Old 02-23-2021, 12:58 AM   #6
s wave

I like cold swapping OSs... just have to get the right chipset/bios for doing this... I like to be able to swap out HDs without one OS/HD affecting another...
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote