Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
tXShooter
Human being with feelings

Default Covid Sucks! Remote Monitoring / Recording?

Due to Covid, I'm on lockdown for 14 days just in case I may have caught this junk. However, I am the only one that has access (and knowledge) to Reaper at the church. Is there anyway to pipe the audio from that Reaper to my home Reaper so that I can make adjustments remotely, even if there is latency?
Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tXShooter View Post
Due to Covid, I'm on lockdown for 14 days just in case I may have caught this junk. However, I am the only one that has access (and knowledge) to Reaper at the church. Is there anyway to pipe the audio from that Reaper to my home Reaper so that I can make adjustments remotely, even if there is latency?
Maybe using TeamViewer? It can transfer Windows audio, I think, but then you will be limited to not using ASIO driver of your audio card in Reaper though. Not sure if WASAPI will work in TeamViewer... Or are you on Mac??
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

there are several commercial solutions for audio streaming / remote recording with fairly low latency and fairly decent audio quality (audiomovers, Source-connect and others). I'm using free software to provide a hiQ audio live stream for my clients (studio remains closed to clients) and I'm using UltraVNC as a replacement for TeamViewer to access and manipulate the remote computer as if I were in front of it. There's also AnyDesk which is free for non-commercial use.

To provide my live stream, I'm using IceCast server plus either Altacast or butt which are also free. I'm using VB-Audio Cable as a virtual audio device. This setup allows me to stream either MP3, OGG, AAC or even lossless FLAC. The clients simply open a link in their browser or in their media player to listen to the live stream. Stream latency is 5-8 seconds depending on the sending side's max. upload rate. A lossless FLAC stream requires appr. 230 kB/s of upload bandwidth, a 256 kbps AAC stream requires 70 kB/s (per listener).

In your case, you could install/setup Icecast server on the remote machine. You'll need to install VB-Audio Cable to get a virtual audio device. You also need either Altacast or preferably butt to pick up the virtual audio cable's signal and pass it to the IceCast server. In contrast to Altacast, butt offers the option to stream in MP3, AAC, OGG and FLAC format. Altacast is MP3 only. You can use UltraVNC to remote control the remote machine (no perceivable lag but no audio connection).

To feed Reaper's output to the virtual audio cable without having to choose the virtual audio cable as Reaper's main audio device, you can use the free Voxengo Recorder VST plugin. This plugin offers to choose a different hardware audio output than the one defined as Reaper's main audio device! Put the plugin into Reaper's master track, set the plugin's MME output to the virtual cable and set its mode to "MME", then hit start. Reaper's master signal will be output via the regular audio device and via the virtual cable simultaneously.

If high quality stereo sound is not required, you could also use the audio connection offered by AnyDesk, TeamViewer or by a browser audio connection via palava.tv (which are all mono and fairly low quality).

Old 07-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
...<snip>
If high quality stereo sound is not required, you could also use the audio connection offered by AnyDesk, TeamViewer or by a browser audio connection via palava.tv (which are all mono and fairly low quality).
How can we use Reaper (or any other app) audio output through the palava.tv, please?
I can only get it to use microphone
Old 07-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
How can we use Reaper (or any other app) audio output through the palava.tv, please?
I can only get it to use microphone
load Voxengo Recorder into Reaper's master track (as the last plugin of the chain) and set it up to send via the virtual cable. Then, open Windows Sound panel and set the virtual cable as the system's audio device for audio input. Open your browser and go to the palava.tv site to create a new private (secure) palava session. Palava will ask for permission to use your mic input (which is in fact the system's audio input = the virtual cable). Voxengo Recorder will introduce additional latency. You can tweak its latency settings in the plugin window.

If you are using Opera browser, you can specify the desired audio input there (Opera preferences -> Security -> website settings -> microphone). You might have to reload the palava session's link and connect again to make the settings take effect.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
akademie

Oh I see, thanks SonicAxiom.
I hoped there is a way without needing a virtual audio cable, using WASAPI shared etc. Nevermind, it is still an option.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tXShooter View Post
Rather than pipe audio to your home Reaper, can you just remotely access the Reaper that is at the church and make your adjustments that way? You could use TeamViewer or whatever to control the church Reaper from home.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote