Old 06-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
debarment
Human being with feelings

Default Reamped guitars are reverse timeshifted

My configuration is:

DI guitar track -> output 3 on interface -> reamper -> amp -> cab -> 2x mics -> inputs 1 and 2 on interface

As I play back the DI track, I'm recording the reamped track.

The result is very strange. The reamped guitars are *ahead* of the DI track by 50 ms. Ie, DI is at 1 second, reamped tracks at 950 ms. I can lower this offset by lowering the blocksize in my audio settings, but a lower blocksize ends up causing random pops. (Not enough buffer I'm guessing)

How can I get the reamped guitars to line up with the DI track correctly? I think I just have some setting incorrect but not sure what.
debarment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #2
Stella645

Any high latency plugs on master or in the monitor FX?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:33 AM   #3
beingmf

Just use ReaInsert and ping the latency of the chain first (also for general correction, if you connect output to input, measure the latency and enter that number in the "offset" field in the Audio > Device tab)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
Stella645

If the amount changes with buffer trying to correct with offset is not really solving anything.

Pinging every time will work, but maybe better to find the root cause for such a large offset and avoid.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
debarment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
If the amount changes with buffer trying to correct with offset is not really solving anything.

Pinging every time will work, but maybe better to find the root cause for such a large offset and avoid.
I shouldn't be changing my buffer size that often though right? (For my use case I shouldn't be changing it ever)

I'm under the impression that the idea is to use a small buffer size if you need SW monitoring (I absolutely do not and will never need that) and a large buffer size for preventing playback clicks and pops?

My buffer size is maxed currently.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
debarment

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Just use ReaInsert and ping the latency of the chain first (also for general correction, if you connect output to input, measure the latency and enter that number in the "offset" field in the Audio > Device tab)
Thank you! How exactly do I use that plugin in this case?

I have attempted to use it as follows:

* Put the plugin on the DI track.
* left output is output 3.
* right output is none.
* hardware returns are 1 and 2, which are my guitar cab mics.
* I click "ping" and I get "-736 samples". I tried to ping a few more times to see if I got another value close to this, but the samples keeps decreasing, to -800, -900, -1000, etc. It seems to decrease by 5 each time I ping.

Does it matter if there is amp hum in the background? I'm assuming it is trying to compensate for the entire signal path, ie output -> reamper -> amp -> cab -> mic -> input so of course the amp will have to be on when pinging.

When I click "ping" I hear amp hum for half a second, then a quick beep, then the number decreases again. (This testing has all been done with the max buffer size, basically the only setting I have found that doesn't result in clicks and pops during playback)
Old 07-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
debarment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Any high latency plugs on master or in the monitor FX?
No plugins on the master at all.

The DI is outputting to HW output 3, and has no plugins on it.

The reamped guitars have some eq and reverb, but this shouldn't matter as I'm not listening to the output, I can see visually that the reamped guitars waveform comes before the DI waveform by 50 ms.

In any case, if the reamped guitars had some cpu intensive plugins, they would sound delayed, not reverse delayed. But also I'm not going by ear (although I can hear the issue) I'm going by visually seeing that the recorded reamped guitar waveforms are too far to the left.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:14 AM   #8
Stella645

50ms at 44k is 2200 samples .... so if you're working at 96k possibly this is about right, if at 44k then the ping is only correcting half the negative latency.

Did you try entering this into record offset and retry the reamp to see what it does?

Quote:
In any case, if the reamped guitars had some cpu intensive plugins, they would sound delayed, not reverse delayed.
Broken pdc could go either way!

In your position I would still be trying to trace the root cause....first would test in completely empty project to rule out any plugin and assuming is the same given the change with buffer size the audio interface/driver would be first thing I'd look more closely at.