Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #41
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
delete, rename, copy, paste,

100% right. I have made scripts for that but it is not very elegant as it needs to close/reopen the media explorer to works to refresh it.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #42
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I can confirm this bug. It has to do with the interaction between the MIDI tick rate, sample rate, and buffer block size. I actually think we're going to revert the retrigger-suppression feature, though -- the more complex it gets, the worse the tradeoff is against the benefits.
Is this due to the complexity of the bug? Or the complexity of the use cases?

There are obviously users here who find the feature valuable and while it's not something I would use much, I think it would be very useful in certain situations such as tracks like cymbals, tam-tam, orch fx, etc. where I would never want notes to retrigger.

So, if it is a matter of the use cases being too complex, I think the implementation we discussed in a previous thread would solve all of the use cases.

1) Main default setting (on/off) in either the Project settings or Prefs similar to the current timebase feature.
2) Just as with timebase, each track can use Default/Project setting or be overridden per track.
3) For those that want to do it on items case-by-case they have the ITEM: Prevent MIDI Notes re-triggering action they can use or add to a custom action for splitting.

If it is a matter of the bug itself being too complex to solve right now, that of course is something else.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #43
mccrabney

more media explorer thoughts:

drag and drop import from windows media explorer. i want to be able to quickly open a folder (downloads, soulseek, etc) and just yank selections into the explorer.

the tuning knob needs work, too.
the mousewheel moves the tuning knob in increments of .5 semitones. holding shift decreases the coarseness to .14 semitones -- still FAR to coarse to be usable to tune a sample while demoing it in the media explorer.

imo: holding shift and dragging the tune knob should result .01 semitone shift while dragging mouse.
unmodified dragging of the tune knob should apply +/- .5 semitones to the above fine tuned value

currently, if you shift-drag in a (relatively) fine-tune, and then drag the tuning knob unmodified, your fine-tune is lost and the tuning knob snaps to the nearest value divisible by .5

actual +1 semitone and -1 semitone actions/buttons would be helpful, too
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #44
ovnis

Quote:
There are obviously users here who find the feature valuable and while it's not something I would use much, I think it would be very useful in certain situations such as tracks like cymbals, tam-tam, orch fx, etc. where I would never want notes to retrigger.
+1000

More "custom keywords" slots would be great!!!

A tag system like Soundcloud would be great (lots of tag slots)! Actually, when we want to add a tag, we have to edit the only tag slot avalable! It can be very fastidious when you have to edit lots of tags.

For exemple:

kick544.wav ....tag=kick
snare 1.wav ....tag=snare
Toms1.wav....tag=toms

With Reaper, if I want to add "drums", i have to edit "kick", "toms" and "snare". So, tags will become "kick drums", "toms drums" and "snare drums"

With the Soundcloud System, I have only to add "drums". So, at the end, it will be "snare""drums" or "toms""drums" or "kick""drums".

Last edited by ovnis; 06-25-2020 at 10:51 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #45
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post

REAPER desperately wants all track midi to be contained in 1 item

edit- more seriously, i think that the attempt at retrigger-suppression ended up further illustrating the issue: noteoffs need to be associated with an item, but exist outside its endpoint.
So that would mean both the note on and not note off parts would be associated with the initial item. From a notation point of view this makes perfect sense. Trying to make midi editing work like audio editing doesn't make the most of midi.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #46
mccrabney

this probably needs its own discussion thread, but i finally broke out my old MPC and took some photos of how it handles this. sorry for the big pictures.

1: here's a "sequence," which is equivalent to a midi item.

2: let's split it at bar 9. look! the noteoff extends beyond the item's conclusion.

3: if we look at the Event List, we can see that the duration (D column) of that last note is 1144 (in ticks).

4: but what if users don't want noteoffs to extend beyond the item bounds? well, there are settings for that.

5: this means that the sequences can be stacked, so that noteoffs from item X can happpen "inside" of item Y
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #47
ovnis

Multi custom tags with lots of slots exemple :

Old 06-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #48
ovnis

Quote:
4: but what if users don't want noteoffs to extend beyond the item bounds? well, there are settings for that.
I prefer to see notes which are played.

Last edited by ovnis; 06-25-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #49
gofer
-blänk-

While I like the new list of CC lanes with events, I find it weird that when I create an event on a 14bit lane the list will also be populated with the corresponding MSB and LSB lanes separately. It may be technically correct, but doesn't make sense for editing and clutters the list.
Likewise, it will additionally list the 14bit lane when an event is created in either an MSB or LSB lane. This way around it may make some sense when the MIDI hardware controller doesn't support sending 14bit but the instrument does and I want to edit with more resolution, but I still find it weird and in the usual case it just clutters this list which is meant to be a shortcut.

What I mean is: When I create 8 7bit CCs for a performance, the list will have 16 entries - should I do 8 14bit CCs, it will have 24 entries. I think this goes against the intended purpose of this list.

I also don't quite like that I have to open this sublist to get to it. It's probably just me, but as a person who records most of the CC and then finetunes them by editing, I'd rather have a way to close the part with the first 22 CC numbers and have the "used CC" sublist open instead for quick access. As of now the "lanes with events" submenu will always be quite far away from the mouse pointer. And I am forced to go all the way even if I just wanted a quick glance at which CC are used in this track - which makes it more annoying than useful, IMO.

Illustrating the point:
Currently we have this:

I'd rather have this:

I am with Stickman, this list is easier to travel. I reduced picture size for both images in an attempt to outsmart the attachment manager (failed at that, but it's neater to look at anyway)

Advantage: Used CC are instantly visible with no effort and accessible with much less mouse travel.

Ideally the user could create a list of favorite CC which would be shown in the list outside submenus. I put Velocity, Pitch, Channel pressure and CC74 there for this example, but everybody has their own ideas about this. Bonus points for saveable favorites per track...

Last edited by gofer; 06-25-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: clarity (hopefully)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #50
Xasman

Quote:
We'd much rather improve the built-in media explorer...list the specific critical features they used it for, that would be helpful.
On Linux, please make track icons visible as thumbnails in the built-in media explorer. At present it's impossible to see what track icons look like and so makes choosing the right one something of a guessing game. Thank you.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #51
juliansader

The new CC lane selectors look and work better than previously.

However, since the new controls are not separate child windows any more, the changes also eliminate the only way to quickly find the names and layout of the CC lanes, which was to check the position and text of the child windows of the "midipianoview" window.

This FR therefore becomes even more relevant: ReaScript API: Get MIDI editor on-screen layout via MIDIEditor_GetSetting_Int()
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #52
EvilDragon

I agree wholeheartedly with gofer's point above. 14-bit CCs should only be listed in "Lanes with events" only if both MSB AND LSB are populated (maybe also if CC event positions on both are equal, so that there's no question about them being 14-bit - because you can have MSB and LSB lane set up completely differently with events not matching in tick position, which is not gonna work as 14-bit). Even then, there should be a separator before them.

Make the default list show 0-22, but as soon as you have, say, 2 CC lanes with events, collapse the first 23 CCs in a submenu. This makes the menu even more compact.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-25-2020 at 01:03 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #53
Peevy

Some really nice cc enhancement here. Really liking the submenu of lanes with events feature but would it be possible to have this appear at the bottom so it's closer to the mouse cursor after opening the menu.

I also wonder would it be possible to just have the used cc events listed at the bottom in a bolder font rather than in a sub menu so they can be easily seen as used cc's & avoiding that extra step of having to go into a sub menu?
Old 06-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #54
EvilDragon

Typing numbers works weird in CC menu. It seems to only accept one number. So you cannot really type 05 to select CC5, that doesn't work. We cannot type 21 to pick 21, etc.

Why not remove the leading zero here?
Old 06-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #55
EvilDragon

Oh and another typing in bug in the CC menu:

We have an empty MIDI item, let's say we had any CC number selected. We now click the menu, press V - velocity gets selected.

Now, let's add a few notes, and again go back to some CC number selected. If we now click the menu and press V, it won't work at all, velocity won't be selected, because of the dot preceeding it!

Reaper should handle this in a smarter way and not care about the dot.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #56
operator

Quote:
[...] so to the extent people could list the specific critical features they used it for, that would be helpful.
Maybe, if we are already on the topic, may I propse... I would really like to see a "preview list" additional to the "folder list" in the browser... This preview list would show the content of the selected folder and all nested folders inside of it. (attached video shows this in Bitwig--> best browser of all DAWs). {EDIT: Learned right now one can´t upload videos... so no video... but really, take a look at bitwigs browser when you decide to update the browser in Reaper}

This can help speed up the workflow when browsing through nested folders in sample libraries.

In the past I used some amazing Samples I had stored in the depth of my Sample Libary Folders, with the Reaper Browser I feel very uninvited to dig through my folders... This would really bring the Browser to a new level...
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #57
nappies

gofer is right!More accurate than now!
nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #58
Reflected

+1 gofer
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #59
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Being able to drag and drop from project to a sampler is another thing we can't do in OSX and supported on windows AFAI heard, .. it would be very welcome. (i don't want them to unsupport on windows tho)
This would be really welcomed on Mac OS!
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #60
ferropop

AS Issue:

Not deleting all items inside AS.

ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #61
ferropop

AS Issue:

Using Ctrl-Shift-Alt-LeftClick Modifier only deletes single row of Area, instead of All Area as assigned.
Also, deletion weirdness as shown in my previous bug post.

ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #62
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
AS Issue:

Using Ctrl-Shift-Alt-LeftClick Modifier only deletes single row of Area, instead of All Area as assigned.
Also, deletion weirdness as shown in my previous bug post.

Fixing this bug report about the mouse modifiers, but I can't reproduce the other one.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #63
Chimpscookie

When switching a CC Lane using a hotkey press, the lane changes, but the CC Name stays on the previous CC. It updates only when hovering the mouse cursor on it. Any experienced the same?
Chimpscookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #64
Audio_Birdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
v6.12+dev0624 - June 24 2020[*]+ Notation editor: add support for more ornaments and techniques[*]+ Notation editor: fix setting one half of grand staff to +/- 8/15 va/vb (up or down one or two octaves)[*]+ Notation editor: support entering arbitrary track and note notation/ornaments via text entry (example: 0xE5D2 for "lift", see smufl.org)
ChangeLog to BBCode[/url]
Thank you for adding this natively! I'm hoping this is a step towards an articulation system soon for virtual instruments! Especially since a lot have various techniques and such to implement, which can be implemented and combined via the MIDI Editor as well s the notation editor, with both being simultaneous viable options to change articulations!
Audio_Birdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:25 PM   #65
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Birdi View Post
Thank you for adding this natively! I'm hoping this is a step towards an articulation system soon for virtual instruments! Especially since a lot have various techniques and such to implement, which can be implemented and combined via the MIDI Editor as well s the notation editor, with both being simultaneous viable options to change articulations!
Yes, a great start to this would be showing PC in notation view. There are a lot of Reaticulate users that would appreciate this.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:25 AM   #66
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
maybe also if CC event positions on both are equal, so that there's no question about them being 14-bit - because you can have MSB and LSB lane set up completely differently with events not matching in tick position, which is not gonna work as 14-bit
FWIW, this is not true, at least not according to the MIDI spec:

Quote:
If 128 steps of resolution is sufficient the second byte (LSB) of the data value can be omitted. If both the MSB and LSB are sent initially, a subsequent fine adjustment only requires the sending of the LSB. The MSB does not have to be retransmitted. If a subsequent major adjustment is necessary the MSB must be transmitted again. When an MSB is received, the receiver should set its concept of the LSB to zero.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #67
PitchSlap

Quote:
I believe the "date" column is the last modification date.

If it's the case that embedded media file tempo metadata is often wrong, we could do the same thing we do with filenames that suggest a bpm, which is to use it only if the metadata tempo works out to the file being a round number of beats.

The media source properties (right click the media item, or use the button on the media item properties dialog) should display all of the file metadata.
Thanks for the reply.

-Most samples in my library have a different modified date than created date (since I've batch modified them), and I use them both. It also gives a different sorting option which can be useful when repeatedly browsing the same files for random inspiration.

-The round number of beats fix definitely works.

-I was having issues with files I thought was related to metadata, but there actually wasn't any.

-As for the explorer option, if there aren't maintenance development costs it looks like a lot of users would prefer it remain until the different use cases are covered by the built in one.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:19 AM   #68
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
  • + MIDI: don't play back notation for muted notes
  • + MIDI: preserve muted events during glue
  • + Notation editor: add support for more ornaments and techniques
  • + Notation editor: fix setting one half of grand staff to +/- 8/15 va/vb (up or down one or two octaves)
  • + Notation editor: support entering arbitrary track and note notation/ornaments via text entry (example: 0xE5D2 for "lift", see smufl.org)
  • + Video: improve video processor bypass automation UI behavior
  • + Windows: fix knob issues on Win10 HiDPI displays [t=168589]

These lines are actually from REAPER 5.32, January 2017. They aren't in the +dev0624 changelog as far as I can tell!
Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 AM   #69
Yanick

About the CC menu. The "show top used CC" element is really not enough. For example, show the last 10 used CC lanes. In practice, this is usually 5-10 automation lanes
All other ССs, including the first 22 items, should also be presented in the submenu.
Then the menu will significantly decrease in size

Last edited by Yanick; 06-26-2020 at 04:41 AM.
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #70
EvilDragon

Yeah that's what Gofer suggested. But this should only really happen when you actually HAVE some lanes with data on them. If you have all lanes empty, the current menu layout is just fine (with first 22 shown outside of submenu).
Old 06-26-2020, 04:39 AM   #71
Yanick

For now I can only use my menu for CC to show the most used CC lanes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yKy...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Yanick; 06-26-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #72
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yeah that's what Gofer suggested. But this should only really happen when you actually HAVE some lanes with data on them. If you have all lanes empty, the current menu layout is just fine (with first 22 shown outside of submenu).
First 22 is so arbitrary, most of them I‘ll never use. Plus it seems weird that they should suddenly vanish just because one of them is in use. I like Yanick’s „recently used“ idea better, but a favourites list would kick it the most for me personally. Especially if I could load my own, tailored for the instrument on a track.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #73
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
So that would mean both the note on and not note off parts would be associated with the initial item. From a notation point of view this makes perfect sense. Trying to make midi editing work like audio editing doesn't make the most of midi.
The "dangling note off" feature request

The dangling note off feature would also improve workflow when joining (gluing or just juxtaposing) MIDI items. Reverting to previous behavior would be as easy as executing an action (custom or builtin) to "Trim all notes to end of item".
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #74
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
The "dangling note off" feature request

Has a feature request post actually been made for this?
I was just searching and I can't find one...
Old 06-27-2020, 12:13 AM   #75
EvilDragon

It was but it's not called like that. I think mccrabney opened it.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #76
vanhaze

+ Media: when matching tempo for preview or import, use any suitable metadata

When i have tempo match on in ME and drag an mp3 song (which has for example 130 BPM in its BPM tag) in Main Window, that song is totally wrong timestretched to Reaper's Host Tempo.
Also, the preview of that Song in ME is at a totally wrong play rate, not synced to Reaper Host Tempo.

OSX 10.15.5
Old 06-27-2020, 04:45 AM   #77
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
+ Media: when matching tempo for preview or import, use any suitable metadata

When i have tempo match on in ME and drag an mp3 song (which has for example 130 BPM in its BPM tag) in Main Window, that song is totally wrong timestretched to Reaper's Host Tempo.
Also, the preview of that Song in ME is at a totally wrong play rate, not synced to Reaper Host Tempo.
Are you on dev+0624 or dev+0625?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #78
NextLevel

Quote:
We'd much rather improve the built-in media explorer than restore the windows explorer view (which of course was never available on mac anyway), so to the extent people could list the specific critical features they used it for, that would be helpful.
Wow.., removing the Windows option in Media Explorer has totally messed up my workflow. ....please either bring it back or add the following.,

Things I miss about Windows Media Explorer:
-----------------------------------------------------------
1) Ability to control font size and color.., REAPER's font size is killing my eyes. If you guys add this, please do so for Actions List and Project Bay as well.
2) Ability to delete files without moving to recycle bin.., by holding SHIFT key and then selecting delete.
3) Ability to right click on any file type and have the "Open wtih" menu.., which allows opening with any associated app(s).
4) Ability to right-click-drag then release and have the "Copy here", "Move here" options. If done inside the same folder it would add " - Copy" to the file name.
5) Ability to set the view to Large or Extra large icons. I have a shortcut to a folder which has images of all plugins, with Windows Explorer option I could view them right inside REAPER, which was really nice.

Media Explorer Requests:
---------------------------------
1)An option that bypasses the Project Play rate and just uses what is set in the Media Explorer., when the option "Play through selected track" is selected .
This is so that when you have a track with a plugin that relies on project play rate, it obeys that rate, while the playing media in explore obeys what it is set to in the explorer.

2) Support for horizontal scrolling when using mice that have this feature.., perhaps with a granularity/amout option.

3) Scrubbing/Jogging
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote