Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #121
Padre_PC
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb View Post
I'm not sure if I did this right. In MIDI Devices, everything is disabled except Remote SL: Port 1. I tried to go to the CSurf preferences, but got:

"You cannot test ReMOTE SL beta mapping! "
I was afraid this would happen on some setups: I'm using MIDI requests to auto-detect Automap ports through sysex, sometimes it just doesn't work. If you have some time to spend on this can you try sending the following sysex to SL output ports 2 and 3:

F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7

then tell me if SL input ports 2 and 3 return something?

Quote:
I didn't really understand this. What rows are empty and when? In which views?
In "ReMOTE SL (beta)" mapping, passed page 1, the top left button row is empty. But it's just useless if you got the "You cannot test ReMOTE SL beta mapping! " message.
Padre_PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #122
sfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre_PC View Post
If you have some time to spend on this can you try sending the following sysex to SL output ports 2 and 3:

F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7

then tell me if SL input ports 2 and 3 return something?
I can give it a shot, but I'll need a little help (this is way beyond me!) - how do I send those sysex messages to those ports? Thanks!

- sfb
sfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #123
Padre_PC

My personal favorite is MIDI-OX:

http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe

(this is a clean app: no zombie process, no registry junk, no adware/spyware)

- Install
- In Options/MIDI Devices: uncheck "automatically attach inputs..." and select SL Ports 2/3 inputs and outputs
- In View: activate Input Monitor window
- In View: open the SysEx window
- In the SysEx window, top panel, paste "F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7", then "Command Window->Send SysEx"
- If everything goes well, the Input Monitor should display new data
- Post this data here
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #124
Spyrow

Padre_PC, very good work here! Many thanks.

I've tried your .dll with my Nocturn and I like the implementation.

I'll tell you more when I use it more, but for the moment: I've used F1-F4 to asign actions to the buttons (start, stop, metronome on/off, solo in front on/off). That works nice. But is there a way to have more MIDI parameters to assign to a know and control... for example metronome volume or Solo in Front Dim? That'd be cool.
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #125
Document02

I confirm the bug is solved.

Just one detail interface-wise on a Remote Zero SL: On the general screen, selection of which send to change is done via endless pot #7 from left. I would find it more logic to have the amount to send on 270° pot #7 and pan on #8, rather than 5&6.
Same for the "send mute" switch, currently on row 2 #4 & "send mode" on row 2 #5.

On the same note, track solo & mute currently on row 2 #1&2 could be above track volume & pan.

Additionally, moving around the controls would make a logical split in the Remote, left half being more for general controls, right half for track, send & effects control. (see attached).

Last edited by Document02; 01-16-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Document02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #126
Padre_PC

@Document: 270° pots #7/#8 are reserved for hardware send vol/pan controls (when available), same buttons #7/#8: reserved for hardware send mute/mode
Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #127
iamamonkeysoareyou

Padre_PC,

GREAT PLUGIN! Love it! I just bought a nocturn and this is a treat. question though, whats the Fn Buttons for and how do I use it? A step by step guide would be good. Am rather new to Novation products and using hardware to control the mixer....

thanks mate!
-monkey-

Gear: AMD Athlon 3200 / M-Audio Oxygen 64 / Line6 POD Studio UX1 / M-Audio Studiophine AV40 / Korg PadKONTROL / Novation Nocturn / Ibanez Universe UV777 / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus / REAPER!!!!!!
iamamonkeysoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #128
sfb

Thanks Padre.

Here's what I got:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
00006142 14 -- F0 Buffer: 18Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 7E 7F 06 02 00 20 29 03 00 03 00 34 31 31 32 53 F7

Hope this helps!

- sfb

Quote:
My personal favorite is MIDI-OX:

http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe

(this is a clean app: no zombie process, no registry junk, no adware/spyware)

- Install
- In Options/MIDI Devices: uncheck "automatically attach inputs..." and select SL Ports 2/3 inputs and outputs
- In View: activate Input Monitor window
- In View: open the SysEx window
- In the SysEx window, top panel, paste "F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7", then "Command Window->Send SysEx"
- If everything goes well, the Input Monitor should display new data
- Post this data here
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #129
Padre_PC

@iamamonkeysoareyou: Fn keys are assignable for actions

Rev50 is out:

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev50.dll

- Minor changes to the RemoteSL mapping
- Added an "auto-detect" button on the CSurf dialog instead of the "automatic auto-detect". This button is only useful for the "RemoteSL (beta)" mapping
- Updated "RemoteSL (beta)"

I'm also releasing the Rev46 source code (LGPL):

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu....rev46.src.zip

If you have basic skills in C++ and want to customize your own mappings, I suggest you take a look at the "AutomapRemoteSlCompact" implementation in AutomapDevice.h/cpp. There are two methods you will be interested in: initTrackControllers() and initGlobalControllers().
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #130
Padre_PC

Thanks for the sysex sfb, I'll see what I can do
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #131
Document02

Padre_PC, thanks for all the efforts you are putting into this, and thanks for sharing it. The result is great.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #132
sfb

Quote:
Thanks for the sysex sfb, I'll see what I can do
Thanks, Padre. By the way, I just grabbed Rev 50, and without the Auto-Detect, it seems that I can use the Beta mapping (so far)! Sweet. I'll keep testing though in case it breaks.

- sfb
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #133
madias

Edit: Problem solved!!!!
Removed Automap HUI and activated within Reaper the automap-midi (input+output) now it works!

Dear Padre,

since I´m using your plugin I have following problem:

Automap starts with the wrong mixer, so I have to choose manually on my Remote SL Compact the right mixermap:

Why there are 2 maps? (I have deleted all other .dll files comparing to automap in reaper)

Thank you for your great improvements!

Regards

Matthias

Last edited by madias; 10-08-2009 at 12:18 PM.
madias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #134
iamamonkeysoareyou

I cant seem to rename the buttons. the function buttons seem to map ok to play/pause/rec, but when i try to rename it, it works. The next time i restart reaper, the names dissapear. (i have saved it as default as well)

Also tried it with various plugins, I cant seem to rename the parameters....It renames ok the first time, but on reloading the plugin, it all dissapears and defaults to the original names...

can someone help?

Gear: AMD Athlon 3200 / M-Audio Oxygen 64 / Line6 POD Studio UX1 / M-Audio Studiophine AV40 / Korg PadKONTROL / Novation Nocturn / Ibanez Universe UV777 / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus / REAPER!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #135
madias

...but another strange "problem" (might be a problem of reaper):

(FFD and RWD are on "standard" settings)
fast forward and rewind are really slow an imprecise while reaper is on stop.
while playing this functions are totally fast an precise.

Someone solved this problem or are there settings for this?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #136
madias

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamamonkeysoareyou View Post
I cant seem to rename the buttons. the function buttons seem to map ok to play/pause/rec, but when i try to rename it, it works. The next time i restart reaper, the names dissapear.
I cannot confirm your problem: I renamed some plugins changed the position - saved as default. starting reaper over...everything was ok.

So my assumption is: I´m using automap pro and maybe only the "pro" version saves the names and positions?

you can also try to rename the novation user folder to "xxxnovation" - resetting all settings:
C:\documents and preferences\USER\local preferences\application data\Novation
Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #137
iamamonkeysoareyou

THanks for that. Tried it, no hope.. it is strange though. when it starts up in reaper, automap flashes and i see my newly named button, then it flashes again and it is gone....

I dont think this is "Automap PRO" specific though.....

Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #138
Padre_PC

A few answers:

- My implementation is dynamic: automapping occurs each time the number or of tracks change, or titles, etc. As a result, you can remap parameters during a session, rename them, etc. but as soon as a refresh request occurs these changes will be lost. That's just how it works. Novation's VST wrapper also works this way when using VSTs with dynamic parameters.

- madias: it looks like HUI is still active somewhere, either as a CSurf in Reaper or in your Automap Server config. I'm 100% sure this has nothing to do with Automap Pro vs Standard.

- FFW/RWD: yes I've noticed the different behaviour between play and stop modes. I guess that's how it is handled in Reaper because the commands sent by the CSurf are still the same.

- Beta mapping/Auto-detect: Auto-detect is only useful to display 72-chars long track titles when selecting a track. Everything else will work even if auto-detect fails.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #139
Padre_PC

@sfb: your sysex data is correct. Auto-detect failure must be related to my MIDI comm protocol.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #140
jedstar2000

Thanks again for all the hard work I wish I hadn't dropped my c++ course years ago or I'd get stuck in.

Beta mapping is working great .

I still have problems locating tracks with current text configuration but I'm guessing from what your saying this is down to the way reapers API communicates with automap.

Tracks 1,2,3 are how I wright them in reaper
Tracks 4,5,6 are how they are displayed in automap when using sliders
Tracks 7,8,9 are how I would like them displayed.

Or BD, Bass, Long Sn,

Is what I'm asking possible using some kind of API action /plugin to remove the sufix(vol) or just a complete non-starter.

This in combernation with the full text view (top left button)
And dynamic controls (left side controls)

..............Would be Killer...............

Is it possible to get control over the param knobs assigned to the gui in reaper?

Edit ...

The sends work great but

Send 1 is written Send0vol and send 2 written send1vol.

It seems to me reaper has a strange way of reporting back Info from the API I guess this is a job of cockos (Along with the non responding send gfx meter bars) .

please don't think me ungrateful as this is working so great as it is even in its beta stage.

Thanks Again Jedstar

Last edited by jedstar2000; 10-09-2009 at 06:52 AM.
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #141
madias

Quote:
=Padre_PC;385662]A few answers:
- madias: it looks like HUI is still active somewhere, either as a CSurf in Reaper or in your Automap Server config. I'm 100% sure this has nothing to do with Automap Pro vs Standard.
I know, as you can see in my edited thread, I fixed the problem

Quote:
FFW/RWD: yes I've noticed the different behaviour between play and stop modes. I guess that's how it is handled in Reaper because the commands sent by the CSurf are still the same.
I think you are right, so I ´ve asked, if there are any settings for this behaviour in reaper´s main settings (didn´t found it)

@Iamamonkey.. : I tried it again with the plugins: You cannot change the name of the plugin, you are right! But: I can rename all Faders and knobs, they are stored (if saved as default):
C:\documents and settings\USER\local settings\application data\Novation\Automap Universal\Mappings\ReMOTE SL Compact - in this path you´ll see all saved default values for the plugins (you can open the files with the notepad - so you see all names)

@ jedstar: totally agree with your suggestion!
Maybe it´s easy for choosing this appearances in the plugin-preferences?

@ Padre: Is there a possibility renaming the "fn1 - fn8" buttons? You can only locally change the name "eg: hide env" - but they are not stored - maybe another thing for the plugin-preferences?
regards

Matthias

Last edited by madias; 10-09-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #142
jedstar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madias View Post

@ jedstar: totally agree with your suggestion!
Maybe it´s easy for choosing this appearances in the plugin-preferences?
Not sure I know what you mean . Are there preferences for automap or do you mean the csurf dialog.

I have a feeling the automap calls the API for a parameter and the API returns the control for the parameter and a name for it (T1BDVol) which would make perfect sense for addressing the API but a little confusing when mixing .

Padre has manged to call the API for the name only (as displayed on the left in beta ) by bypassing automap and using sysex which I guess means it would require some intervention by either novation or cockos to be able to request name only when addressing track volume(maybe a separate api command)
or someone mite right an action in python to do this .

#*££$ I wish I had the programing skillz
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #143
Padre_PC

Rev51 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev51.dll

New tests on RemoteSL beta mapping:

- New global page for MIDI editor (page 2)
- 8 new assignable pots (FnPot1-8)

Note on Track (Hardware) Sends: at this time the Reaper SDK doesn't have functions to notify Automap about GUI vol/pan/mute/mode changes in realtime. Changing send mode ("pre-fader", etc) will not update the IO window either, although it works (if you close/reopen you will see that)
Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #144
jedstar2000

Quote:
Rev51 is out!

WoooHoooo Instant control of params assigned to GUI is hear...

This just gets better and better....

Thanks a million...

Edit..

Is it possible to get the assignable pots (FnPot1-8) to work on page 3 "Mixing Dynamic controls "(like the sends and fx)?

OH MY GOSH

The Global Midi editor is off the scale "Brilliant" Like using a hardware editor.
Maybe a delete note would be handy.

Last edited by jedstar2000; 10-10-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #145
sfb

Hi Padre,

I'm just digging into the Beta mapping, and am loving it! The global page for the MIDI Editor is huge.

Question about the Mixer/Track View toggle. When I hit the button, my project goes from 6 pages to 9 pages. Then after hitting it a couple of times, it no longer toggles anything. Is this the correct behavior?

Also, I'm trying to assign functions to the Fn buttons/pots, but it doesn't seem to be working. I change the "Parameter" in the Automap window, but the control doesn't do anything...?

Thanks for all your work!

- sfb

Quote:
Rev51 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev51.dll

New tests on RemoteSL beta mapping:

- New global page for MIDI editor (page 2)

Note on Track (Hardware) Sends: at this time the Reaper SDK doesn't have functions to notify Automap about GUI vol/pan/mute/mode changes in realtime. Changing send mode ("pre-fader", etc) will not update the IO window either, although it works (if you close/reopen you will see that)
Old 10-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #146
Padre_PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Is it possible to get the assignable pots (FnPot1-8) to work on page 3 "Mixing Dynamic controls "(like the sends and fx)?
A new "FnPots" submenu for page3? I like that...

Glad to see I'm not the last MIDI guy!

Quote:
Question about the Mixer/Track View toggle. When I hit the button, my project goes from 6 pages to 9 pages. Then after hitting it a couple of times, it no longer toggles anything. Is this the correct behavior?
It won't decrease the number of pages (see post #1 to know why), but it should still toggle the Track/Mixer view. I've tried to toggle several times it still works: can you please check again with last rev?

Quote:
Also, I'm trying to assign functions to the Fn buttons/pots, but it doesn't seem to be working. I change the "Parameter" in the Automap window, but the control doesn't do anything...?
I'm not sure I understand. Fn pots/buttons are used to assign Reaper actions.

Once again: because of the dynamic nature of this plugin, nobody should rely on changes made within the Automap Server. It may work, but as soon as remapping occurs or new projects are loaded everything will be reinitialized.

Almost forgot... Rev54 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev54.dll

- Bug fix (new Track Send Mute/Mode pots would not refresh on track change)
- More MIDI editing controls

I'm updating post #1 with bug reports and feature requests for both Novation and Cockos.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #147
Padre_PC

I've posted a Feature Request regarding a couple of handy functions for the Automap CSurf. Check out the "New API functions" link in my signature.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #148
sfb

Quote:
It won't decrease the number of pages (see post #1 to know why), but it should still toggle the Track/Mixer view. I've tried to toggle several times it still works: can you please check again with last rev?
Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Here's what I do:
- Select a track, Automap is on Page 1
- Hit the "TView Mixer" button
or
- Select a track, Automap is on Page 3
- Hit the "TView Track" button

It appears to "refresh" the Automap pane, but remains on the same page with no change to the Automap template...?

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. Fn pots/buttons are used to assign Reaper actions.

Once again: because of the dynamic nature of this plugin, nobody should rely on changes made within the Automap Server. It may work, but as soon as remapping occurs or new projects are loaded everything will be reinitialized.
Whoops, I guess I misunderstood how to assign the pots/buttons. How do I do this? I didn't see anything related to this in the "Novation Automap:" actions list either.

Quote:
Almost forgot... Rev54 is out!

- Bug fix (new Track Send Mute/Mode pots would not refresh on track change)
- More MIDI editing controls
Awesome. Thanks Padre. I've used my RemoteSL more in the past week or so than I have in many, many months. Thanks for making Automap usable!

- sfb
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #149
Padre_PC

Quote:
Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Here's what I do:
- Select a track, Automap is on Page 1
- Hit the "TView Mixer" button
or
- Select a track, Automap is on Page 3
- Hit the "TView Track" button

It appears to "refresh" the Automap pane, but remains on the same page with no change to the Automap template...?
Track/Mixer view is not a page selector: it will update T1/T2/T3/etc vol/pan/etc controllers to match Reaper's track or mixer windows: if some of your tracks are hidden from the Mixer window you will see how this switch affect the mapping.

Quote:
Whoops, I guess I misunderstood how to assign the pots/buttons. How do I do this? I didn't see anything related to this in the "Novation Automap:" actions list either.
Actions list -> select an action you want Fn/FnPot to be assigned to -> add a shortcut -> "<<type key or move a controller>>" : there you go

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks Padre. I've used my RemoteSL more in the past week or so than I have in many, many months. Thanks for making Automap usable!
You're welcome! We have to thank Novation and Cockos for that too: making an SDK available to let users tweak a product for their own need is not common practice, I'm glad they do.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #150
jedstar2000

Quote:
A new "FnPots" submenu for page3? I like that...

Glad to see I'm not the last MIDI guy!
You've got to love a bit of midi . But I wasn't quite able to make it behave as I would have liked. What I would really like to be able to do would be to be able to access the controls set to visible in the io. I figured if I could get midi cc's out I could simply learn each parameter that I set visible in reaper with "control only when track selected".

So I could say have a stack of efx and get instant gratification from controlling only the most effective controls.

Alas there isn't an action to output cc data .

Anyway you really have brought back the joy of using the Remotesl for me too and the global midi page is absolutely awesome. The only addition I could think of would be the ability to select individual notes. I tried the next item but couldn't figure it out and guessed that was for midi items not notes.

Thank again jed
Old 10-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #151
Spyrow

Quote:
Thanks Padre!
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #152
sfb

Quote:
Track/Mixer view is not a page selector: it will update T1/T2/T3/etc vol/pan/etc controllers to match Reaper's track or mixer windows: if some of your tracks are hidden from the Mixer window you will see how this switch affect the mapping.
Ah, got it. I think what has me confused is that some of the tracks only shown in my Mixer window are still showing up in the Track view on the RemoteSL and vice-versa. They seem to be tracks that are in folders where the parent folder track is visible in both, but the inner tracks are not...?

Also, when on Page 1 and switching to Track View, when I turn the track select knob, it still selects from tracks in the Mixer window. Is this the correct behavior? Or might it be related to my problem above?

Quote:
Actions list -> select an action you want Fn/FnPot to be assigned to -> add a shortcut -> "<<type key or move a controller>>" : there you go
Aha! Very cool. I think I may have found a bug. When I tried to assign something to Fn8 (without assigning it to anything yet), I got this message:

Key already mapped to "Track: Set volume for track 16 (midi...", override?

And question - is there a way to map a button to the "ESC" key? Not just for clearing out loop selections, but to close dialog boxes, midi edit windows, etc.

Thanks again, Padre!

- sfb
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #153
jnastic

A new Automap is out. Just to let you guys know.

Version 3.3

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/downloads?id=30
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #154
John Paul

Hi,
Just started playing around with this on my Remote 49SL Compact.
It's really helpful - thanks.

One thing doesn't seem to be working correctly though - the increase/decrease FFW/RRW actions do not seem to have any effect.
(I am presuming that these are suppossed to speed up and slow down the rate of wind). The increase / decrease zoom actions work ok.
I have scanned the thread and do not see anything on this so could this problem be limited to the SL compact mapping (or could it be due to the fact that I am on Automap 3.3)?

Thanks,
John
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #155
kilroy

Padre_pc : I just received my Zerol SL MKii... is there something I can do to help you supporting it?
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #156
Padre_PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
The only addition I could think of would be the ability to select individual notes.
Done: Rev56 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev56.dll

- Global MIDI page: new grid values, note selection, etc.
- Added momentary button status (to avoid LED madness)
- Bug fixes/optimization

@kilroy: are the "RemoteSL" mappings correct on the MKII? Do you notice "LED weirdness" with Rev56?

@John Paul: at this time inc/dec ffw/rew factor only has an effect in "cursor" mode

Quote:
I think what has me confused is that some of the tracks only shown in my Mixer window are still showing up in the Track view on the RemoteSL and vice-versa.
Yes, that's how it's done in the Reaper API: Track view = all tracks, hidden or not. Mixer view = tracks from the Mixer window only.

Quote:
Also, when on Page 1 and switching to Track View, when I turn the track select knob, it still selects from tracks in the Mixer window. Is this the correct behavior? Or might it be related to my problem above?
Yes it is the correct behaviour: I made all tracks available from the "Track Select" encoder in both TCP modes.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #157
kilroy

For now the endless rotary encoders don't work at all. They're assigned but they're not controlling anything. Everything else seems to work though.
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #158
Document02

Default additional control possibility?

I think I have already stated that, just in case I am on a Remote Zero SL.

In the mixer view, the endless knobs do not seem to be used. would it be possible to assign them to some MIDI CC, so that we could use the Reaper learn function with them?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #159
jedstar2000

Default WOW

[QUOTE=Padre_PC;389956]Done: Rev56 is out!
[QUOTE]

Wow just when I thought`it couldn't get any better it gows and blows my socks off . The new improved Midi editor is rocking .
Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #160
Padre_PC

@Document02: good idea, I'll assign FnPot1-8 controls then

@kilroy: this is bad news, I've implemented a lot of things that depend on those endless encoders! I was hoping the MKii series would behave exactly like their older sisters with just a few more LEDs. You're using Automap 3.2+ right? I'll try to think about a standalone utility to see what's going on with the MKii encoders...