Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
OPI
Human being with feelings

Default ITB Production blog

https://itbprod.wordpress.com/2017/0...rst-blog-post/

This is a blog i recently started. The first post is something you all should like

Why i chose reaper as my D.A.W.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
OPI

Default Music and timelessness

https://itbprod.wordpress.com/2017/0...-timelessness/

Just my thoughts on music and timelessness. Mostly theory since its very subjective but couple tips here and there.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
karbomusic

Haven't read much of the blog yet but I've dealt with this in more than just music. It's fairly natural, humans tend to be highly motivated by new things to discover and loathe things they become tired of - it's all about the discovery. Once something becomes old hat, it has to remain as such until it (or more importantly aspects of it) are reintroduced at a later time and mixed in with something new to create something that is a new mystery all over again - instead of being "retro".

You'll see it everywhere you look if you are aware of it, whether that be clothing or music or car designs, it's often new combinations of older things. I'm doing that right now in a recording project where we have plenty of stuff that could be (is) dated and we try to apply something to it that is fresh and/or unexpected - like "let's make this bowie sounding progression more bluegrassy" as a made up example.

Another theory... Well I forgot what the hell that was, will reply when I remember.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
karbomusic

^I remember now.... Maybe OT but I have great fear of someone loving something I create on first listen... I think it is a death sentence in comparison to the song/tune/mix that someone doesn't necessarily fall head over heals for first listen. I have noticed throughout my life that the music I thought was OK or decent at first but ended up "growing on me" tended to last a lifetime - and those I loved first listen, got old very quickly never to be listened to again once I had "opened all the doors" and became tired of it.

That being said, I like to put stuff in my recordings that you can't/won't notice during the first few listens, I want you to have things to discover for years vs being able to discover everything in one or two listens. I think this gives the song staying power by giving the listener more than what is on the sonic surface FWIW.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
OPI

Its hilarious how things evolve but stay the same. Like you said, people loath things when they get bored of it. But little do they know... It will become popular again in 20-30 years. Happens with most of everything. Besides bell bottom jeans

But what does interest me is how people take something old and make it "new" again. Most sounds are made up of basic waves yet it amazes me how many perspectives and versions of that one sound there can be.

All the time i think about what music is 2100 will sound like. Will i hate it like old people hate dubstep? Probably. "It doesnt have that natural electronic sound i grew up with!, Its all just noise" But i hope not...

Mean while the story of my life is finding an amazing lead only to realize its been done 43 years ago.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
OPI

That last though was interesting. Putting in things that you may discover years later..

Some of my favorite songs have this going for them.

I have this in a couple of my songs but it was mostly by accident. The di bass was picking up noise, my mic picking up the dog playing on my bed. And yet for some reason, it sounds good even when you notice it lol
Old 10-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post
Its hilarious how things evolve but stay the same. Like you said, people loath things when they get bored of it. But little do they know... It will become popular again in 20-30 years. Happens with most of everything. Besides bell bottom jeans
What?!?!?! Bell bottoms are... OUT?!?!?!?! When the heck did THAT happen?!?!?! I suppose next you're going to tell me black lights are out?!?!?!

Old 10-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Happens with most of everything. Besides bell bottom jeans
Happened to those too, first run was late 60s/early 70s, I was there as a kid and would make my own bell bottoms by cutting my pants and sewing in flowery sheets to make the bell bottoms - the 80s rebuttal was "straight legged jeans" that were rebelliously narrow but...

It made its return in the early 90s around the time the Black Crowes were hitting it big - again roughly 20-30 years later.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
OPI

Default 10,000 hours

https://itbprod.wordpress.com/2017/0...ough/#more-177

Just a quick thought/vent on the 10,000 hour rule
Old 10-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
OPI

Default Is less more?

https://itbprod.wordpress.com/2017/0...og-post-title/

A few ideas about the idea that less is more, which i mostly agree upon.