Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #241
Shan
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
When I create a track in Reaper I can create an midi out with Rewire Bus 1 in the i/o menue. But that midi port does not show up in Protools. Am I doing something wrong?
They should show up in the MIDI input of the Mix Window:

[img]http://img697.**************/img697/3743/rewiremidi.png[/img]

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #242
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Alternately, I am almost thinking it might simply be time for me to spend some of my free time getting into coding..
About time...I mean sounds like a great plan!

Quote:
I am considering buying Notion.
I just checked this out. Impressive! Both ReWire master and slave ability.

Shane

Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #243
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Getting a PT style Track List, Group List and Region List shouldn't be to difficult.
But I want it to look like Cubase. Or atleast Logic. No, wait, DP would be nicer...

[thoughts that perhaps shouldn't be published]

Shane, this is in no way directed at you. I just started wondering (again) how spoiled we Reaperists are. Cockos has shown us that almost anything can be done, but as a result we expect almost anything TO be done. Then again, SWS making a PT-alike plugin doesn't distract Cockos too much, I think.

I'm not being harsh at Cockos or this thread, but I have wondered for quite a while if Cockos has a plan of operation. Do they have a goal of turning PT'ers into Reaper? If so, the plan could be carried out quite a bit more efficiently. Since it's not, I guess that's not the plan.

Where are we going? Where does Reaper go? I do know where Cockos goes, is where I want to be.

"New in Reaper 3.5: Learn PT by using Reaper!"
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #244
guitardom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
But I want it to look like Cubase. Or atleast Logic. No, wait, DP would be nicer...

[thoughts that perhaps shouldn't be published]

Shane, this is in no way directed at you. I just started wondering (again) how spoiled we Reaperists are. Cockos has shown us that almost anything can be done, but as a result we expect almost anything TO be done. Then again, SWS making a PT-alike plugin doesn't distract Cockos too much, I think.

I'm not being harsh at Cockos or this thread, but I have wondered for quite a while if Cockos has a plan of operation. Do they have a goal of turning PT'ers into Reaper? If so, the plan could be carried out quite a bit more efficiently. Since it's not, I guess that's not the plan.

Where are we going? Where does Reaper go? I do know where Cockos goes, is where I want to be.

imo, as a VERY long time pt user, cockos would do themselves a world of good and snatch up a very big and important customer base by going after the ptle crowd. pt is just lagging further and further behind the times and competition. i have no urge to COMPLETELY relearn a new program. but as all these little extras are happening via sws and others like shane, it is very easy for us to start moving over. i think most other audio apps are fairly up to date and able to be updated and much less system specific than pt can be. plus with avid trashing the digidesign name, company restructuring, they are in a crisis. i need to get work done, not be a fanboy. if cockos can make this happen for me with a few extras from others, i am all for it. i say all of this while i have used NO other audio app since 2001 but pt.
guitardom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #245
themadarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
imo, as a VERY long time pt user, cockos would do themselves a world of good and snatch up a very big and important customer base by going after the ptle crowd. pt is just lagging further and further behind the times and competition. i have no urge to COMPLETELY relearn a new program. but as all these little extras are happening via sws and others like shane, it is very easy for us to start moving over. i think most other audio apps are fairly up to date and able to be updated and much less system specific than pt can be. plus with avid trashing the digidesign name, company restructuring, they are in a crisis. i need to get work done, not be a fanboy. if cockos can make this happen for me with a few extras from others, i am all for it. i say all of this while i have used NO other audio app since 2001 but pt.
Agreed. I've been in the market for a more stable DAW at a company with a good business model for sometime. But I do music for a living and have little time to spend relearning everything.

To focus on capturing a demographic that is on the fence makes perfect sense. REAPER should be its own program, but if it can be done where some familiar bells and whistles are added to make the PT user more turnkey, then even better
themadarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #246
RussUK

One of the AVID team recently accused me of burning my bridges (to be fair he is one hell of an entitled twat who still thinks Digi is where it was about 10 years ago!) I think if anything is burning for a lot of PT Users its a bush!

Shan keep up the good work - I'm still trying to keep some comms open with some of the AVID good guys, I still hope there's a chance, after all did you know they've changed their name and are launching a new website!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #247
No Left Turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post

I don't think Cockos is really doing anything other than making what seems to be one of the most stable and flexible DAW's out there. It's the users that are molding Reaper into what they want it to be.
No Left Turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #248
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
A big +1!!

I'll also add to this. Pro Tools HD on Mac is the most popular DAW in commercial studios and that isn't going to change any time soon. As a side note, I hate that self glorified late night cheese ball infomercial marketing phrase Avid uses which is, "The Industry Standard". No it's not, it is the most popular used in commercial studios which use PT HD on Mac. Being able to take REAPER on a USB thumb drive to any one of these commercial facilities, plug it in and start using Digidesign I/O hardware, their custom PT keyboard, the same key commands and work flows etc and at the same time use powerful features only found in REAPER is definitely a serious threat to their status quo. Any engineer familiar with PT can keep on working as they always have plus, have the extra advantages that REAPER will provide. Cockos would be very wise to add the handful of missing and needed functions found in PT that many still consider top needed editing features. Many of these are in the elevated FR list. Doing such gets REAPER in the hands of the so called "Industry Standard" user base and will only expand the ever increasing popularity of REAPER. This is a good thing indeed.

Avid needs to realize that there is a new DAW out there with fresh new code riding their a$$. They pis*ed off their user base and we now have a solution that requires damn near no learning curve which poses a serious threat by the example I mentioned above. No other DAW out there can do this and basically act as a direct Pro Tools substitute for it's long time user base who cant afford the downtime of a new learning curve. This makes REAPER a serious competitor to Pro Tools. Just the names I see of the most absolute die hard PT fanboys/girls in this very thread should be a HUGE HUGE red flag to Avid. I can assure everyone that many of the names here in this very thread would never ever be here and saying the things they are not to long ago, as they all had some pretty die hard loyalty with Digidesign and Pro Tools.

Competition is good.

For the record, I like REAPER. I like Pro Tools. I'm aloud to use more than one tool to get the job done.

I also like modding REAPER and not be threatened for it by the Cockos devs for "altering and changing" the code. In fact, the devs have helped me do this and they encourage one to change and use REAPER that will make it fit to ones needs. Avid would never allow such a thing and send their lawyers after you.

Shane

Last edited by Shan; 04-07-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #249
jas

Well said, Shane
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #250
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadarchitect View Post

To focus on capturing a demographic that is on the fence makes perfect sense. REAPER should be its own program, but if it can be done where some familiar bells and whistles are added to make the PT user more turnkey, then even better
+1 billion!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #251
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
One of the AVID team recently accused me of burning my bridges (to be fair he is one hell of an entitled twat who still thinks Digi is where it was about 10 years ago!) I think if anything is burning for a lot of PT Users its a bush!
But RussUK, he's right! They are indeed at the same point that they were 10 years ago. The mountain was climbed 5 years ago and there is only one place you can go when you reach the top:

Quote:
Shan keep up the good work - I'm still trying to keep some comms open with some of the AVID good guys, I still hope there's a chance, after all did you know they've changed their name and are launching a new website!
Too bad they didn't take all the revenue used for the rebranding/name change/website and hired some more developers(or kept the ones they let go) instead.

Shane

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #252
Lawrence

Without sounding like I'm a PTHD supporter, which I'm certainly not, I think to fully take over the professional HD world requires a heck of a lot of things not mentioned here... like D-control support and some other things. People aren't going to dump $50k controllers just to use Reaper or Cubase or Sonar or any other daw.

They're fully embedded in the industry with hardware and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The most people can hope for is more converts on the mid to lower end to help drive development dollars to Reaper. The idea of taking over Digi's market share is... respectfully... not going to happen... from Reaper or any other host anytime soon.

But they will have to make some changes and of course they will. Many people will still choose other systems though. Having Reaper more familiar with that user base can only be a good thing.

People tend to forget that PT software is basically free. They sell hardware. IIRC you can use Logic with HD hardware and still access the TDM plugs and things so anyone unhappy with the PT software and heavily invested in Digi hardware and various TDM plugs has a compatible choice in Logic Pro. Now if Reaper could one day do that... access TDM or whatever hardware is coming next... that would be sweet.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-07-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #253
guitardom

Quote:
A big +1!!

I'll also add to this. Pro Tools HD on Mac is the most popular DAW in commercial studios and that isn't going to change any time soon. As a side note, I hate that self glorified late night cheese ball infomercial marketing phrase Avid uses which is, "The Industry Standard". No it's not, it is the most popular used in commercial studios which use PT HD on Mac. Being able to take REAPER on a USB thumb drive to any one of these commercial facilities, plug it in and start using Digidesign I/O hardware, their custom PT keyboard, the same key commands and work flows etc and at the same time use powerful features only found in REAPER is definitely a serious threat to their status quo. Any engineer familiar with PT can keep on working as they always have plus, have the extra advantages that REAPER will provide. Cockos would be very wise to add the handful of missing and needed functions found in PT that many still consider top needed editing features. Many of these are in the elevated FR list. Doing such gets REAPER in the hands of the so called "Industry Standard" user base and will only expand the ever increasing popularity of REAPER. This is a good thing indeed.

Avid needs to realize that there is a new DAW out there with fresh new code riding their a$$. They pis*ed off their user base and we now have a solution that requires damn near no learning curve which poses a serious threat by the example I mentioned above. No other DAW out there can do this and basically act as a direct Pro Tools substitute for it's long time user base who cant afford the downtime of a new learning curve. This makes REAPER a serious competitor to Pro Tools. Just the names I see of the most absolute die hard PT fanboys/girls in this very thread should be a HUGE HUGE red flag to Avid. I can assure everyone that many of the names here in this very thread would never ever be here and saying the things they are not to long ago, as they all had some pretty die hard loyalty with Digidesign and Pro Tools.

Competition is good.

For the record, I like REAPER. I like Pro Tools. I'm aloud to use more than one tool to get the job done.

I also like modding REAPER and not be threatened for it by the Cockos devs for "altering and changing" the code. In fact, the devs have helped me do this and they encourage one to change and use REAPER that will make it fit to ones needs. Avid would never allow such a thing and send their lawyers after you.

Shane
editing on pt is the greatest thing in the world imo, it just makes sense to me and they have the most logical mixer layout i have ever seen on a daw. add customizable shortcuts to the editing, adc, and 64 bit and daw world domination is only a short step away!!

i could understand cockos not wanting to "copy" pt, but those of us who do want that have the ability to make it happen, it could really change the landscape (for all hobos )
Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #254
lxm

15K views for this thread. REALLY good dialog in regards to making the PT users comfy. REAPER could have a HUGE surge in license sales if they made it easier for PT users to jump in without a curve.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #255
gjfontenette

Default Great Stuff

I am a PTHD user and have been using PT since the early TDM systems; however, given the state of the industry (shrinking budgets et al), the status quo is not acceptable given the answers or lack of answers by AVID. I just can't see forking over thousands more to keep up with an increasingly inferior product (hardware and TDM software). What is happening here is very attractive to me, especially if I don't have to take the time to relearn a different program. I think the word someone used was turnkey. That is the perfect word.

I have been on the phone with many producer friends of mine that are just as taken aback as I was, but expected something just as dire. All are prepared to jettison PT if the transition measures talked about here come to fruition. I am talking to people that had PT before I had it, and are/were extremely loyal. If I go, they will likely follow given the fact that we work often, and I help them with technical problems from time to time. There is no doubt that REAPER is the extremely explosive program that certainly has the potential to make converts out of at least the six PTHD users I spoke with. I will continue to lurk in these threads to find out more, and how far you guys develop this idea of REAPER being easily customized to imitate and enhance a familiar workflow. This is great stuff, and a huge relief as I am prepared to abandon a company I considered part of my musical family.

Regards,
GJF
gjfontenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #256
nightdog

Default how do i post regular?

i was just needing somebody to tell me how to post a question on this site, thanks.
nightdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #257
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Without sounding like I'm a PTHD supporter, which I'm certainly not, I think to fully take over the professional HD world requires a heck of a lot of things not mentioned here... like D-control support and some other things. People aren't going to dump $50k controllers just to use Reaper or Cubase or Sonar or any other daw.

They're fully embedded in the industry with hardware and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The most people can hope for is more converts on the mid to lower end to help drive development dollars to Reaper. The idea of taking over Digi's market share is... respectfully... not going to happen... from Reaper or any other host anytime soon.
Correct. As mentioned above, most commercial facilities run PT HD on Mac and that isn't going to change anytime soon at all. Avid themselves wont even be able to topple that one. It would be like trying to get rid of the railroad system with something new. Can it be replaced with something new and better? Absolutely, but the current system works. If Avid released new hardware, it is unlikely that most of the current HD owners in commercial facilities will make the costly investment to change over. Why? HD just works and the railroad has been set in place and established. The PT 8.x software on the other hand is another story but most have stayed on 7.4 and it's more than efficient enough to keep the business running.

To clarify, REAPER is a serious contender and threat to the LE/M-Powered line. LE on PC has made revenue and has supported HD R&D. HD on the other hand is like the railroad system. It works, so why change it.

As a side note, REAPER can definitely indeed work with Digi hardware controllers such as the D-Control, C24, D-Command and Pro Control etc. The initial stage has been done and demonstrated.

Quote:
But they will have to make some changes and of course they will. Many people will still choose other systems though. Having Reaper more familiar with that user base can only be a good thing.
+1. Competition is good.

Quote:
People tend to forget that PT software is basically free. They sell hardware.
The PT software comes with the hardware. After that point, all upgrades(which aren't cheap) are paid for and they do make revenue from it. They sell both hardware and software. The hardware dongles make their software profitable. The also sell software plug-ins, of which, aren't too shabby I might add.

Quote:
IIRC you can use Logic with HD hardware and still access the TDM plugs and things so anyone unhappy with the PT software and heavily invested in Digi hardware and various TDM plugs has a compatible choice in Logic Pro.

Pro Tools 8.0.3 software no longer supports Apple Logic Audio or Mark of the Unicorn Digital Performer running in DAE mode.
That one was put to a quick end.

Quote:
Now if Reaper could one day do that... access TDM or whatever hardware is coming next... that would be sweet.
TDM has been on it's death bed for years. The amount of plug-ins released the past 3 years by new 3rd party plug-in vendors using the TDM format can be counted on one hand. The current supporters of TDM such as Waves are maintaining their current TDM plug-ins and sometimes release new plug-ins as TDM. That said, even Waves themselves have not released TDM versions of some of their new plug-ins. If you are a new software vendor applying for the TDM SDK, you may very well get a "no" as I know a few who have recently tried. TDM is also extremely difficult to develop for, which is part of it's ever shrinking popularity. RTAS plug-in releases greatly out number TDM by a massive quantity. It is a very old format that is nearing the end of it's run. At this stage of the game, REAPER would not benefit attempting to support the TDM format which is at the end of it's run.

Shane

**I did read your first post before the edit by the way. [img]http://*************.net/shocked-smiley-17115.gif[/img]

Last edited by Shan; 04-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #258
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdog View Post
i was just needing somebody to tell me how to post a question on this site, thanks.
You just did.

The only surface/DAW competitors are Pyramix and Nuendo/Euphonix atm. Who knows, maybe Harrison will chime in too one day.

We've just had a few enhancements in the latest version, 3.41pre4 in terms of keeping user data together and easier to manage for the Windows folks. OSX folks have always had all their data in the user directories anyway. Head on over to the pre-release forum and take a look.

The surfaces I use are mostly available for use in Reaper. Its great strength can also be a weakness, as the user is left to configure so many things him or herself. There is however no shortage of users pointing out flaws when they find them, and there's no shortage of developers fixing those things either, even though they're only three if you don't count the enormous talent of folks making extensions, control surface plugins(Klinkes MCU for example), JS effects(directory names=user names take a look), VST plugins (Stillwell and Schwa started here with JS AFAIK) and general support.

Some folks are even working on a Control 24 surface plugin, though I hope we can find the Icon guy at some point .

Think of this :
You can pay folks to make a control surface plugin just for your needs if you really want to. A guild or other organization could pay someone to create specific functions for their line of work. To quote my semi-religous English family, never in this year of our lord will this happen with Avid. The odds are just against it.

So I came here just like you, making a difference to myself and others.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #259
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjfontenette View Post
I am a PTHD user and have been using PT since the early TDM systems; however, given the state of the industry (shrinking budgets et al), the status quo is not acceptable given the answers or lack of answers by AVID. I just can't see forking over thousands more to keep up with an increasingly inferior product (hardware and TDM software). What is happening here is very attractive to me, especially if I don't have to take the time to relearn a different program. I think the word someone used was turnkey. That is the perfect word.

I have been on the phone with many producer friends of mine that are just as taken aback as I was, but expected something just as dire. All are prepared to jettison PT if the transition measures talked about here come to fruition. I am talking to people that had PT before I had it, and are/were extremely loyal. If I go, they will likely follow given the fact that we work often, and I help them with technical problems from time to time. There is no doubt that REAPER is the extremely explosive program that certainly has the potential to make converts out of at least the six PTHD users I spoke with. I will continue to lurk in these threads to find out more, and how far you guys develop this idea of REAPER being easily customized to imitate and enhance a familiar workflow. This is great stuff, and a huge relief as I am prepared to abandon a company I considered part of my musical family.

Regards,
GJF
**Standing ovation**

I couldn't have said it better myself. Just knowing that we have another DAW we can go to with out a massive learning curve as we'd be able to use most of our key commands/work flows etc that we've been using for 10+ years is a HUGE relief. It breaks the shackles and the PT fan boy cult like mindset I once had always defending it to death.

Get your sh*t together Avid. Your diehard loyal user base has been doing a 180 on you.

Shane

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #260
Lawrence

Shan, I'm fully with you ... so me going point by point to your reply to my previous post would only pollute the topic more than necessary so I won't go there even though we're not 100% in agreement.

To unhappy PT users (or unhappy users of any daw) I'd just say that not looking at Reaper is nuts. Actually, not looking at all native hosts - if you're leaving PT anyway out of unhappiness - is nuts. So if themes and key commands and mouse cursors and emulated behaviors in some cases can make the potential PT refugee more comfortable in Reaper...

... I think it's a great idea.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #261
pixeltarian

on the flip side, as someone who wants to know how to use protools without having to actually use pro tools... this would be super awesome.

I really think there needs to be an every-single-damn-setting export in reaper. like "PT.reasettings" something that would load every menu, toolbar, shortcut, etc. '
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #262
Guitar486

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I really think there needs to be an every-single-damn-setting export in reaper. like "PT.reasettings" something that would load every menu, toolbar, shortcut, etc. '
+1 billion
-
----Ok, well how about just a series of cool riffs?
Guitar486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #263
nikki-k

Shane already said it.. While many major, pro studios remain using Mac + PT HD, many remain at pre- Ver 8; some even older versions! Ver 8 came out.. 2 years ago? More? I think this speaks volumes: the pro user desires a stable, unchanging environment. IMO, PT (TDM/HD) provided that.

If I were in a studio tracking and mixing, I would likely prefer to be on a PT HD 7.x rig. I know the pros and cons all too well, and am at home. I know the plugins that work with it as well. The Mac I would use would be frozen in time. Or, even better, I would use the rig I came up with for PT HD use, which could house an HD4 Accel rig. Add some nice converters and outboard.. all set.

At home? No way I am wasting a penny on PT HD. I sold my HD4 Accel rig for that reason, and did so before the value dove. With what Shane (and others) are working on, I can see substituting Reaper with mods soon. Thus, if I end up doing any additional mixing/tracking on an HD rig, it is still familiar, and should be pretty transparent to hop back to Reaper at home once again.

So hurry up Shane! (lol!)
Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #264
Shan

Quote:
Shan, I'm fully with you ... so me going point by point to your reply to my previous post would only pollute the topic more than necessary so I won't go there even though we're not 100% in agreement.
I know. Hearing other perspectives is a good thing. I'm far from being always right, and I've changed my mind many times from hearing other viewpoints. Both of us are DAW sluts that like to sculpt our audio with whatever tool best fits the job. That's what matters at the end of the day.

Quote:
...if themes and key commands and mouse cursors and emulated behaviors in some cases can make the potential PT refugee more comfortable in Reaper...

... I think it's a great idea.
+1!

Shane

Last edited by Shan; 04-08-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #265
Shan

Quote:

At home? No way I am wasting a penny on PT HD. I sold my HD4 Accel rig for that reason, and did so before the value dove. With what Shane (and others) are working on, I can see substituting Reaper with mods soon. Thus, if I end up doing any additional mixing/tracking on an HD rig, it is still familiar, and should be pretty transparent to hop back to Reaper at home once again.

+1 and good point.

...except the "hurry up" part.

Shane

Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #266
RussUK

Quote:
Before I post you need to know I've just shelled on a complete HD3 for my post house 3 weeks ago, so you don't get more committed to PT than that!

BUT the very fact that Cuckos give us the possibility of making such a thing happen (perhaps even created by a third party programmer) is attractive.

Whilst AVID continue on their control trip then there's little chance of anything really changing. They need to humble themselves and realize that they don't have all the answers and listening to their user base, who are in a lot of cases a lot brighter than them, could help unlock the possiblity of a bright future.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #267
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar486 View Post
+1 billion
New in the Pre-Release forum:

v3.41pre4 - April 7 2010
+ Windows: user-editable content (themes, JS, etc) are now installed to user profile directory automatically

Shane

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #268
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
....... With what Shane (and others) are working on, I can see substituting Reaper with mods soon. Thus, if I end up doing any additional mixing/tracking on an HD rig, it is still familiar, and should be pretty transparent to hop back to Reaper at home once again.

I second that Nikki. Having been a Protools user for around 12 years, it would be great to have my workflow as transparent as possible between DAWs.
Having said that, I have mixed my last two projects in Reaper and am already starting to get used to the differences.

So, I also second the "hurry up" notion... otherwise I'm going to get used to Reaper and forget the last 12 years of Protools brainwashing!!!! lol
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #269
steadyrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
...To quote my semi-religous English family, never in this year of our Lord...
They sound like good Catholics! [Anglican or Roman ]

Perhaps Nightdog wanted to post the question as a new thread!?
Post new thread is found on the first page of each sub-forum

If I were Avid I would be worried:
Russuk came here and the way he was greeted I knew he was important. I took a look at his blog
and then at the DUC [I'm crazy like that].
This thread today has some obviously senior and hardcore p/toolers speaking here
I'm shocked and I've never used P/tools or cared about it.
I think they're sweating bullets.

... And a belated welcome to you too, Nikki-K the hobbette. The more Ladies the merrier.
Gender equality by 2012!

Last edited by steadyrev; 04-08-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: greeting the incoming
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #270
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrev View Post
Russuk came here and the way he was greeted I knew he was important. I took a look at his blog
and then at the DUC [I'm crazy like that].
A stalker! Is Tamara home?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #271
guitardom

Quote:
A stalker! Is Tamara home?
Nope, only some hobos
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #272
jaimematic

Default There and back

I've been using Reaper for a couple of years now but last year I bought a control surface that had pro tools. After using it for a few months, I'm back where I started. I'm sure it's difficult for a long term user to switch over but my experience with pro tools was not good. So buggy, especially with the new updates. Reaper has been a breeze from the beginning. Plus it feels better to be part of a community than just another customer.
jaimematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #273
Shan

Some very extreme UI hacking that took me bloody hours(12 actually). [img]http://*************.net/shocked-smiley-17115.gif[/img]

Nonetheless, the Pro Tools timebase area, is now in REAPER :

User control is a beautiful thing.

Shane

Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #274
ankely

Quote:
Some very extreme UI hacking that took me bloody hours(12 actually). [img]http://*************.net/shocked-smiley-17115.gif[/img]

Shane
Sweet!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #275
nikki-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrev View Post
... And a belated welcome to you too, Nikki-K the hobbette. The more Ladies the merrier.
Gender equality by 2012!
Thx! Looks like I will be hanging here more now. I think I am done with the DUC.. past two days I have visited there and not found a single topic worth checking out. I think I have lost the ability to care what Avid does with what used to be an excellent app.

Quote:

Shane
OK, that is it. I am so getting on Skype more often, and digging into Reaper. Oddly, it is not so much that I want a PT clone now, but rather that this demonstrates once and for all that Reaper can truly be made into what the end user wants.. just a matter of weighing the investments (time, etc) to rewards (closest to a user designed, custom environment one can get?). Just need to figure Notion and Melodyne into it all now...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #276
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Shane, that is some AWESOME work my friend. Very cool.

Nikki, +1 to everything you said, especially about Avid.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #277
pixeltarian

Quote:

Shane
whaa? hoow? ... wwhhhhaaat?!?!
that's amazing. can I make reaper look like that? how? how did you get ANY of that stuff on the left side? regions, markers, tempo, timebase. I don't get a lot of time to scour this thread, I'm at work at have mountains of "night" job stuff to do. all I can say is, I really like it, and you should post an isolated tutorial soon. I'll even donate some webspace for it. if I ever see some free time I'll be making a really sweet site dedicated to the reaper UI and customization. I just have 2 bands to mix and a website to make and an album of my own to finish. then I can finally do fun things...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #278
EvilDragon

There's an image which defines the background of custom toolbar. I guess Shan edited that one out to mark these things. However, my toolbar is filled with icons so I wouldn't benefit from this, nonetheless it IS very useful!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #279
Tom@Metro

Quote:
Thx! Looks like I will be hanging here more now. I think I am done with the DUC.. past two days I have visited there and not found a single topic worth checking out. I think I have lost the ability to care what Avid does with what used to be an excellent app.
I'm with you; I'm growing weary of hearing the complaints and becoming such a complainer myself… and seeing no results from the endeavor.
Tom@Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #280
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There's an image which defines the background of custom toolbar. I guess Shan edited that one out to mark these things. However, my toolbar is filled with icons so I wouldn't benefit from this, nonetheless it IS very useful!
I'm sure Shan still has tons of tool bar icons, but positioned in floating toolbars above the arrange window and saved in a screenset to look like Pro Tools
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote