Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
tspring
Human being with feelings

Default Diamond eyes -- comments welcome.

This tune was recorded using Reaper on location and in my son's Sweetfoot Studios:

https://soundcloud.com/kentavius-jon...5DPoINVbP46vSc

It is called Diamond Eyes, and is the first song released from a project my son is working on with Kentavius Jones. The first bit of recording done for the album that they will eventually release was done in a local art museum as part of a multi-day public event where anyone could walk in and watch the recording process. But then the recording moved to the studio, and has been a very long process with lots of delays. Some feedback on the music and recording would be really useful at this point. So what do you think?

In years past I posted lots of stuff on the Reaper forum, but life got really busy, and for many months I have not had time to spend to post anything. Trying to change that starting now.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Timothy Lawler

I like it.

There are a lot of fine touches.

...the rich elec gtr tone in the brief figure at :10 and elsewhere.

...the rhythmic figure at :36 (sounds like handclaps combined with wooden blocks). Happens elsewhere also. Great arranging and recorded sound.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
tspring

Thanks Tim, it is always great to hear from you. As I have said before, both Shea and I have tremendous respect for your opinions. We know how good you are. By the way, I enjoyed visiting your YouTube page. I had been trying to come up with a version of the song Yellow Bird on my round neck dobro with little success, and there you were with a really cool version on classical guitar. Perhaps I can use your arrangement to figure out how to approach it on the dobro. I really have a soft spot for that song for some reason. Glad to find that you still frequent the forum.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Timothy Lawler

Thanks, tspring. That Yellow Bird arrangement you mentioned is from a Chet Atkins LP called "Class Guitar". I'm not sure if it's his arrangement or one he got from Jorge Morel.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Duophonics

Really smooth, great performance and mix as well as choice of instruments for the genre.

The bass is great.

As for constructive feedback, maybe look into the out of tune notes from the early part of the section that start around 2:05.
It's a little jarring to hear those notes, usually flat, one one them sharp...it gets better as that part progresses, and from 2:10 it's fine.

But 2:05-2:10 seemed not up to par with the smoothness and professionalism you set for the track as a whole.
Duophonics is offline   Reply With Quote