Old 01-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
tk_nacho
Human being with feelings

Default CPU Perfomance peak - Some help!

Hi, I decided to build a mixing template around my Softube Console 1, with all the efx sends prepared at -inf, busses routed, and parallel compressors setup.
It consists of about 60 tracks.

The strange thing that I've noticed is that when hitting play the CPU goes up to 80%/90% for 2 seconds and then stabilizes around 25%/35% while playing back.
That peak produces an annoying crackle (although it happens without any audio files too, so it isn't the hd speed).
I thought it may have to do with the Console 1 plugin as there is one in each channel, but they consume almost no resources with the internal effects disabled (about 0.10%).

I am using an Intel i5 3210m, 8gb ram, windows 8.1 x64, Reaper 4.76 x64 and a RME UCX. All plugins are natively 64bit.
I'm on a 96khz session, but also tried at 48khz and it was the same.
I've been trying mostly with a 1024 buffer. Tried a 4096 buffer and it just reduced the peak to 70%/80%.

Is there a way to minimize, optimize or do something about that peak when starting the playback?

Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
Ignacio
tk_nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Mink99

Try this first : http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
The Telenator
Banned

Just read the SOS review of Console 1 while online minutes ago. It's supposed to be rather (or very) light on CPU resources.

Your setup sounds plenty tough enough, so don't think the Console could be your issue. Something else must be wrong or set wrong. Using a buffer of 1024?!?! That's super high -- shouldn't be any crackling or stutter at all. Good luck with it. That Softube gadget sounds like quite an awesome tool.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
tk_nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Hi Mink, thanks a lot for pointing to that software, I had totally forgot about it. It helped me in the past. This time the analysis says:

"Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. "

So it's strange.
Any tweak that could help like zeroing the buffers or something like that?
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Just read the SOS review of Console 1 while online minutes ago. It's supposed to be rather (or very) light on CPU resources.

Your setup sounds plenty tough enough, so don't think the Console could be your issue. Something else must be wrong or set wrong. Using a buffer of 1024?!?! That's super high -- shouldn't be any crackling or stutter at all. Good luck with it. That Softube gadget sounds like quite an awesome tool.
Yes it's very light on resources, even more with all the channel strip sections disabled. But i'ts causing an annoying CPU peak (up to 85%) when starting the playback that lasts 2 seconds and then continue to play nice with the CPU in good shape (about 30%).

When mixing I always use 1024 and up, but this time if the system can handle I may try 512, to feel the Console 1 knobs better. Indeed, I can't recommend that Console high enough!!

Thanks guys, hope we can work it out!!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 AM   #5
Mink99

Is the plugin running in 32 Bit , maybe by accident ?

Are you running out of memory (60 audio tracks @ 96 kHz ) ?

Does the plugin show the same behaviour in another daw ( audacity )

Sorry, just eliminating ....

Last edited by Mink99; 01-20-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
tk_nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Is the plugin running in 32 Bit , maybe by accident ?

Are you running out of memory (60 audio tracks @ 96 kHz ) ?

Does the plugin show the same behaviour in another daw ( audacity )

Sorry, just eliminating ....
Hi Mink, thanks for following this.

The plugin is 64 bit. It's a fresh Windows install so I only installed 64 bit plugins this time.

I tried it without any audio files first (and less channel count) and the peak was lower but was there as soon as hitting play. The memory usage in the Performance Meter is always very low.

I haven't got other daw at the moment. Could try to download that one.
I will contact Softube also and ask about it.

Thanks again Mink!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
The Telenator
Banned

Softube is one of the last companies I'd think of having buggy plugins running around. Their stuff is usually so very smooth and refined.

The extra details you provided helps, but I'm at a total loss to think of anything. I like the idea of downloading and trying on some other DAW -- grab someones demo or free version, that would be enough just to test it. Again, good luck solving this. There is at least one other member here who uses this cool software and controller. Try a search 'cause I seem to recall he's a fairly knowledgeable chap and this controller was mentioned by him in a thread recently.

Oh, right -- mixing in 1024. I've been using 512 and like the bigger buffers. But these shouldn't cause any trouble ... quite the opposite I'd think.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
Mink99

I use wavosaur as wave- and secondary editor. It is free and has vst support
http://www.wavosaur.com
Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
tk_nacho

Thanks a lot for the help guys! Will keep on researching and let you know.
Any new idea will of course be highly appreciated!

Have a great year!