Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
effitall
Human being with feelings

Default PDC, RT CPU Spike, ReaInsert

I don't know how to write this up as a bug report, because I don't think I can make it reproducible without making a large project.

Anyway...I suspect there's something up with Reaper's Plugin Delay Compensation and it's interaction with Reainsert.

In particular, I'm experiencing this issue right now:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134898

I'm posting over here because it's probably more appropriate.

As I progress through a project and start using more and more complex routing and inserting hardware via Reainsert, Reaper gets more and more flakey in starting playback. In some cases, it's just a miscalculation in PDC resulting in out of sync audio. In others, it's a completely jumbled mess of crackly, slowed down, distorted audio, in some cases, I end up with excessively high RT CPU usage and an unlistenable playback.

Often times, all that's needed to remedy this is a simple stop/start of playback, and Reaper calculates everything fine and plays back normally. If I jump forward or backward in time, it's a total crap-shoot if Reaper will rebuffer properly. When it doesn't, out of sync audio or crackly distorted and slow playback is the result. Again...Simply stopping and restarting playback resolves the issue. Sometimes I have to stop/restart 2-3 times to get there.

I predominately mix alone...But earlier this week I had a guest with me. Fortunately we were just listening to some references, but it really struck me this morning, There's no way I could mix the way I like with Reaper in front of others.

Client, "What's wrong?! What happened there? Is my track hosed?!"
Me, "Nah...Hold on...Reaper isn't playing back right...Let me stop and restart playback. There...That's better."

30 seconds later we jump to another section of the song and it flakes out again.

This isn't productive. At worst, it means I can't do something I want to do. At best, it just interrupts my workflow for a second. But even that's bad.

From a client perspective...It makes me look unprofessional. "Man...His setup is really flakey! We didn't lose anything and the mix is alright, but it glitched the whole session."

Reainsert has totally improved over the years. I seldom if ever get the buffering loop of doom anymore. It still doesn't work right in complex projects though. I know that myself and many others would like to be able to depend on it more...But it's just flakey.

Thank you in advance for any consideration of this issue. I'm more than willing to provide an example session or two.
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
effitall

Another thing related to this...

Once I get to a certain point in a mix...There is ALWAYS some sort of glitching at the beginning and end of playback regardless of whether or not Reaper fully flakes.

Hit play, a brief moment of glitchy audio, then playback starts.

Hit stop, a brief moment of glitchy audio, then playback stops (and effects tails play out).

Frustrating.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
effitall

I experience glitches everywhere.

Glitches on play. Glitches on relocate. Glitches on stop. Glitches on track mute/unmute. Glitches on solo/unsolo.

Attached is a zip with an MP3...There's initial playback, a couple of solo's, some time-line jumps and on the last time-line jump you hear that big mess up at the end. Reaper never recovers after that. I experience that often and you gotta stop playback and start over hoping that the next playback is better.

It's annoying. And that little snippet is actually better than I was experiencing yesterday.
Attached Files
File Type: zip glitchy.zip (420.2 KB, 102 views)