Old 04-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Gesta
Human being with feelings

Default My iMac Crash

Hi, I suddenly have systemcrashes, my iMac freeze, and restart. Besides Reaper i have Garageband installed, and I use some of Apples plug-ins. I have an idea that it is Apples plug-ins that crashes the system and force the iMac to shut down.
Is there anyone who have experience with Apples plug-ins.
Gesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Gesta

I have now found out, that its not the Apple plug-ins. It is just when plug-ins is enabled the whole system is unstable. The iMac freeze with some tickling sound, and after approximately 20 sek. it restart.
Plz. need some help to this.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Magoostus

full system freezes (kernel panics, or gsod (grey screen of death) can be because of alot of things. Bad kernel extensions, bad ram, bad hardrive, bad cables.

reaper crashes usually show a crash report to help solve the problem.

does this freeze happen when using your headphone port instead of your audio interface?

idk, but a ticking sound and freezing kinda flags a bad hardrive in my mind
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Gesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoostus View Post
full system freezes (kernel panics, or gsod (grey screen of death) can be because of alot of things. Bad kernel extensions, bad ram, bad hardrive, bad cables.

reaper crashes usually show a crash report to help solve the problem.

does this freeze happen when using your headphone port instead of your audio interface?

idk, but a ticking sound and freezing kinda flags a bad hardrive in my mind
Well It only crash in Reaper. And I have no crashes in Reaper before I started using the plugins. I have recorded a lot of songs and playback to a mixer without anything at all.
And yes im using the headphones port, as master.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Don Schenk

When it crashes, are you using Reaper's plug-ins, or Apple's, or Waves, or...?

:-Don
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Gesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
When it crashes, are you using Reaper's plug-ins, or Apple's, or Waves, or...?

:-Don
It does not matter which plugins im using. Suddently it just crash. I have just checked my harddisk and there´s nothing wrong.
I have just recorded a session over 1 hour, and it work like a charm, but there is no plugins activated.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
vanhaze

Please, what are your specs ?

- Imac specs ? (RAM, cpu, etc)
- OSX version ?
- Did you do recently an upgrade of OSX ?
- What soundcard ?
- Latest driver for that soundcard installed ?

Reaper is a DAW which just runs great on OSX.
Your problem has to be a "local" thang.

To be short , too little info about your system setup to help you ...
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
serr

Yep.

What audio interface (card, firewire, USB, or other)?

How are you controlling it? With Reaper, Audio MIDI Setup, or other proprietary control panel (perhaps included with said interface)?

Maybe post a screen shot of your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page (with your current interface of choice selected in the device drop down menu). This will answer the above question.

Did you set up your system intentionally (ie. The settings and how you control your selected interface(s)), or just plug it in and hope any default settings were close enough that sound would come out the other end? Reaper is absolutely not a 'point and click camera' of a DAW. Not intentionally setting up your interface is analogous to not being aware of the channel selector on a TV. If it happens to be set to your favorite channel when you bring it home - great. Otherwise you might say it's not working because you can't see channel 3. (Crap, this analogy probably will be lost on anyone under 25.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
donchilcott

Default Mac Crash

Wow. I'm tweeting this post for all my self righteous Mac zealot friends who torture me for being a PC guy :-)
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Gesta

Imac mid 2011, 2.7 GHz i5 (2500S) with 6 MB on-chip L3 cach, 8 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512 MB of GDDR5 SDRAM
OSX Yosemite, updated.
"Soundcard" Behringer x32, USB, no driver, use coreaudio.
I playback to a pair of active monitors via internal(Headphones/digital audio output) and i only use the Behringer when i record.
Mixing is only using the internal soundoutput on the Imac.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
serr

Now tell us the important part. How are you controlling your audio interface? How is it set up?

As I suggested, post a screen shot of your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page (with the X32 selected). This will answer the above question.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Gesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Now tell us the important part. How are you controlling your audio interface? How is it set up?

As I suggested, post a screen shot of your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page (with the X32 selected). This will answer the above question.
I use the internal audio on my iMac as soundcard, when im Mixing/Playback. Im only using the x32 to recording, so the x32 is not an issue here.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesta View Post
I use the internal audio on my iMac as soundcard, when im Mixing/Playback. Im only using the x32 to recording, so the x32 is not an issue here.
How you set up the system and run either interface is important though weather using your computers built-in audio interface or an external. Wrong settings can be crippling. Posting that screen shot might answer many questions.

Last edited by serr; 04-15-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
cyrano

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Failing harddisk up front. Do you have a recent backup?

I'd try reinstalling from scratch. That will give you the opportunity to format and test the drive.

Another possibility is to open up the Console app. That might give an idea about what's crashing. If it's not clear (there is a mountain of info in there), you could post parts of it here so we can have a look at it.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
Gesta

I have used Apples Hardware Test, and tested the harddisk. There is no sign of hard disk failure otherwise. The iMac i working perfect in other apps.
Here is the screenshot of my Preferences/Audio/Device page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skærmbillede 2015-04-18 kl. 18.33.48.jpg (43.5 KB, 234 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Gesta

I have now made an aggregate device instead of "Allow use different input and output devices"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skærmbillede 2015-04-18 kl. 19.36.25.jpg (39.1 KB, 221 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesta View Post
I have now made an aggregate device instead of "Allow use different input and output devices"
Definitely the better route to go than the legacy option!

I'd recommend controlling the sample rate and block size from Reaper though. ie. Check the boxes (which gives control to Reaper) and enter the desired sample rate and block size. Only use other apps or control panels if necessary as it's usually more convoluted.

If you are playing an instrument live through Reaper or running live sound or monitoring, then you need to dial down the latency with a small block size.

If you are just mixing, set it to 512 or 1024 samples.

Set the sample rate to what you intend to run the system at and record at. Don't set the project differently than the hardware unless there's some very specific need to do so. Conversions on the fly take CPU time and can degrade fidelity.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Gesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Definitely the better route to go than the legacy option!

I'd recommend controlling the sample rate and block size from Reaper though. ie. Check the boxes (which gives control to Reaper) and enter the desired sample rate and block size. Only use other apps or control panels if necessary as it's usually more convoluted.

If you are playing an instrument live through Reaper or running live sound or monitoring, then you need to dial down the latency with a small block size.

If you are just mixing, set it to 512 or 1024 samples.

Set the sample rate to what you intend to run the system at and record at. Don't set the project differently than the hardware unless there's some very specific need to do so. Conversions on the fly take CPU time and can degrade fidelity.
Done :-)
Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
Gesta

I think I have solved the problem.
It was the RAM.
I bought my iMac, second hand, with 8Gb RAM, and it comes to my mind that it could be different kind of RAM blocks. And indeed is was. Three different kind. Two blocks of the original Samsung RAM, and two different Kingston RAM.
I took the two Kingston blocks out, and my iMac has played with 4 Gb RAM, for about 6 hours now, steady as a rock.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
whiteaxxxe
Banned

ok, problem solved.

but what strikes me as weird is that you have an X32 and use the iMacs internal soundchip?????? isnt that a bit ... hm ... very weird??? what for do you have the x32?
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #21
Gesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
ok, problem solved.

but what strikes me as weird is that you have an X32 and use the iMacs internal soundchip?????? isnt that a bit ... hm ... very weird??? what for do you have the x32?
Im not that familiar with the X32, so im only using it as a soundcard to record into Reaper. After I finish recording i shut down the X32 and made all the mixing in Reaper and use Reapers plugins. For me its convenient to use the internal soundcard to my active studiomonitors when mixing in Reaper.
We have the X32 to live situations, and Im not the soundengineer, Im the drummer, and it´s my own small projects I mingle around with.
Our soundengineer mixes directly in the X32 and use the X32 plugins, when we have made a recording session, and only uses Reaper as a playback/cutting unit(Im doing that) and record the final mix directly on the X32, on a USB stick in stereo wav
Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #22
whiteaxxxe
Banned

ah, ok, I see. that makes sense. I just wondered ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote