Old 06-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #163
Xasman
Human being with feelings

Excellent! Thank you for this, Michael.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #164
dug dog

I do a lot of stuff with just acoustic guitar and vox and these verbs sound really nice in that context. (They probably sound good in other contexts, too. LOL.)
dug dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #165
cjewellstudios

Popping back in to say these are both amazing! Thank you so much.

Weird bug I found. As I was trying them out, I opened both hall and room and the same time and that consistently crashes reaper for me, no error message or anything in event viewer. Windows 10, 64 bit, Im just one version behind on Reaper so it's 5.978
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #166
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
I opened both hall and room and the same time and that consistently crashes reaper for me, no error message or anything in event viewer. Windows 10, 64 bit, Im just one version behind on Reaper so it's 5.978
Further info for Michael:

I can't reproduce this on my system. I just tried this for the first time, adding both Dragonfly plugins (2.0) from the FX browser simultaneously. Whether I do it so that both windows immediately "float" or not (depending on whether I "quick add" from the MCP which floats all newly added fx windows), it doesn't cause a crash. I'm using Linux Mint 19.1 and the latest Reaper.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #167
MrMoto

Quote:

Weird bug I found. As I was trying them out, I opened both hall and room and the same time and that consistently crashes reaper for me, no error message or anything in event viewer. Windows 10, 64 bit, Im just one version behind on Reaper so it's 5.978
Can't reproduce. Windows 8.1 64-bit - REAPER 5.979 64-bit.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 AM   #168
Xasman

Quote:

Tried loading an instance of both Hall and Room on three separate tracks and sending to them all at the same time, switching insert positions as it played too. No crashes at all here on Windows 10, 64-bit, REAPER 5.979. If I get time, I'll try later on Linux as well.

EDIT: I just tried the same thing on Linux 64-bit (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) with REAPER 5.979. No crashes there either.

Last edited by Xasman; 06-23-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #169
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I do a lot of stuff with just acoustic guitar and vox and these verbs sound really nice in that context. (They probably sound good in other contexts, too. LOL.)
Thanks, an early goal for this project was to sound good in acoustic arrangements. I'm glad to hear it is working well with your guitar.
Michael Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #170
cjewellstudios

I guess its just me then, haha.

I'll update to the latest Reaper and report back. I've been having other weird issues cropping up so more investigation is needed on my part.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #171
Michael Willis

Quote:
I guess its just me then, haha.

I'll update to the latest Reaper and report back. I've been having other weird issues cropping up so more investigation is needed on my part.
Let us know how it goes. Were you able to use a single instance without it crashing? What about loading two instances of the same plugin?
Old 06-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #172
cjewellstudios

Updating did change it, for the worse though!

Just to be clear, this isn't really bothering me personally, just thought it was weird and that I would let you know

So after updating reaper, loading both plugins at the same time from the fx browser crashes reaper (before it just hung and I had to close) This time though I got this in the event viewer.

Faulting application name: REAPER.exe, version: 5.9.7.9, time stamp: 0x5d07daf6
Faulting module name: DragonflyRoomReverb-vst.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d0ce8fd
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000000344e9
Faulting process id: 0x720
Faulting application start time: 0x01d52a0f0c6d62ff
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\REAPER.exe
Faulting module path: C:\VSTplugins\DragonflyRoomReverb-vst.dll
Report Id: 5f1293c2-72c8-4975-8913-edcd8c69891c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

-----

However, I can load as many instances of room or hall as I'd like one at a time. I also saved an fx chain of Hall and Room together and was able to load that no problem. I have Reaper set so that it does not float the plugins when I add fx chains to tracks, so maybe it has something to do with the gui and my graphics settings. I have actually messed with my graphics settings a bit because I do game sometimes but I also had alot of problems with the waves plugins I have and spiking cpu.

I'd have to look up my settings and card if you want to know all that, or if this gives you any clues as to what the problem might be, I'd be happy to offer more information.

But yeah these are fantastic Michael! Well done!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #173
dug dog

I had something weird happen a couple of times yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how I did it and I can't recreate it now.
I think I had one instance of hall and one room on a track and when I copied both to a second track in one go, my audio went into some sort of endless delay repetition that kept getting louder and louder and the GUI on the copied version of one of the two verbs was all blurry.
I'll pay closer attention in the future.
dug dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #174
Xasman

Quote:
...So after updating reaper, loading both plugins at the same time from the fx browser crashes reaper (before it just hung and I had to close)...
Ah, I didn't realise you were adding both Hall and Room at the same time so I just tried doing that, both as track FX in the TCP and MCP and also as input FX but still no crashes here in any of those situations. In fact, both plugins seem stubbornly stable! This on both Windows 10 64-bit and Linux versions of Reaper 5.979.

However, then in Preferences (Win 10), I tried checking "Auto float newly created windows" (normally unchecked here) and then tried to add both Hall and Room as track FX; then Reaper crashed - it didn't hang - just closed unexpectedly and with no message. So it would seem to have something to do with that setting, although it still seems odd because I understood that you had said that that setting was unchecked for you.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #175
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
However, then in Preferences (Win 10), I tried checking "Auto float newly created windows" (normally unchecked here) and then tried to add both Hall and Room as track FX; then Reaper crashed
I just tried that in Linux and it's still fine, whether adding via TCP, MCP, or from the FX browser window.

On Windows 7 however, I can reproduce this. When adding both plugins simultaneously, if it tries to float both windows (adding from MCP, or with that option checked and adding to the TCP, either way) it can crash Reaper. Sometimes it doesn't. About 1/3 of the time it seems ok. 1/3 of the time it crashes Reaper, and 1/3 of the time it loads the plugins but one of them has that weird graphics error where all the text has thick white outlines (and the graph in the middle is a white block).
Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #176
Michael Willis

Oh, this is a weird one. Something to do with bringing up both interfaces at the same time? I haven't experienced this on MacOS or Linux, so I'm not sure what's going on.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #177
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I just tried that in Linux and it's still fine, whether adding via TCP, MCP, or from the FX browser window...
Yep, the same here - on Linux it works reliably (I couldn't get it to crash at all). I only see the crash (and then not every time) on Windows 10.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #178
heda

Thank you for this great reverb. I like it and I haven't experienced any problem. (win7x64)
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #179
JohnnyMusic

Default Initial Thoughts

Hi Michael,
I am trying to break my plugin habit (free or paid),
and I have several reverbs. The waves IR1, and the waves hybrid among many others. Using some impulse responses in reaverb as well.
That said, reverbs do respond differently to different sound sources and I am not always happy with what I get, especially on drum samples ( I build beats from samples of real drums), so I decided to try yours out.
When putting reverb on drum samples, eg, I am trying to add a little ambience, a lot a reverbs give this sort of what sounds to me like a harsh "barking" sound which is quite unpleasant, and I find it difficult to get rid of it with eq etc (Waves hybrid sounds like this, anyone agree, could be user error, hah!?). It is really noticeable on kick drum.
I haven't tested dragonfly a lot, but I was building a beat for a track the other day and decided to try dragonfly on the kick. The result sounded really smooth and natural with no weird "barking" or harshness, right away. My first impression was it sounded great without any effort/tweaking at all. This is perfect because, as I am not into endless tweaking (though I will if I can't get want I want) Nice work on this plugin!
Do accept any donations? If I end up using this on my mixes, I could send a donation your way.
Thanks!
John
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #180
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Do accept any donations? If I end up using this on my mixes, I could send a donation your way.
A number of people have been asking for Dragonfly to grow into a collection of more reverb algorithms (like Spring, Plate, and Shimmer). I'm thinking about putting together a Kickstarter campaign with the goal of implementing more plugins, but also as a way for people like you who want to donate for the work already done on Hall and Room. I'm still trying to determine the best way to go about it and how to be fair to people who have put a lot of time into helping me along the way.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #181
chuckwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
A number of people have been asking for Dragonfly to grow into a collection of more reverb algorithms (like Spring, Plate, and Shimmer). I'm thinking about putting together a Kickstarter campaign with the goal of implementing more plugins, but also as a way for people like you who want to donate for the work already done on Hall and Room. I'm still trying to determine the best way to go about it and how to be fair to people who have put a lot of time into helping me along the way.
I'm definitely happy to chip in for your work so far and also the possibility of those new algos you mentioned.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #182
Reflected

Nice work!
thanks for sharing
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #183
zacki

Hi. I'm setting up a new Laptop with Windows 10 pro an REAPER 5 x64. I've observed that the Dragonfly Reverbs take ~10 times longer until the GUI shows up. REAPER freezes during that time.
  • Has someone observed the same behavior on his/her machine?
  • Do I need more than the two room and hall dll files from the dl'ed zip?
On my Win7 Laptop (R5 x86 and x64) the GUI pops up imediatelly.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #184
heda

it could be that something could be changed for better compatibility with windows 10. but in my case it is displayed inmediatelly on windows 10. yes you only need those two dll files.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #185
MrMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacki View Post
Hi. I'm setting up a new Laptop with Windows 10 pro an REAPER 5 x64. I've observed that the Dragonfly Reverbs take ~10 times longer until the GUI shows up. REAPER freezes during that time.
  • Has someone observed the same behavior on his/her machine?
  • Do I need more than the two room and hall dll files from the dl'ed zip?
On my Win7 Laptop (R5 x86 and x64) the GUI pops up imediatelly.
Since I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro, the behavior is even worse than what you describe. Dragonfly takes forever to load and when it finishes, the GUI doesn't show at all. No matter what I try. It's really a shame, because I like Dragonfly and used it a lot before.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:18 AM   #186
ivansc

can I suggest you re-download Dragonfly V2 and reinstall both the hall & the room versions? I just checked mine & it all works fine, but to be sure I went to Michael`s GitHub location, downloaded the latest version 2 & put the whole unzipped folder in my C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins folder & it re-scanned & worked fine without anything else being done. Worth a try.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #187
MrMoto

Thanks for trying to help Ivan. I did what you suggested, but to no avail. Still no GUI. When I check for Windows .DMP files, it's obvious that Dragonfly crashes the REAPER host file: reaper_host64.exe.13600.dmp. Dragonfly was the only VST in use, so it's easy to reproduce.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #188
ivansc

Sorry I missed out the crucial bit:
Since you now have the latest clean version2 installed, what I should have told you to do was to delete the two dragonfly .dll files you already had installed & then do a CLEAR/re-scan, not just a re-scan.
Worth a try.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #189
zacki

Thanks for the suggestions, but also no success here
Old 12-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #190
ivansc

You both might want to get in touch with Mike, the dev of Dragonfly & originator of this thread, by private message & see what he can find.

On the face of it, either this is a setting you guys have wrong or a niche bug in Dragonfly itself, since so many of us haven't had the same disappearing GUI issue. Odd....

Last edited by ivansc; 02-08-2020 at 09:06 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #191
MrMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Sorry I missed out the crucial bit:
Since you now have the latest clean version2 installed, what I should have told you to do was to delete the two dragonfly .dll files you already had installed & then do a CLEAR/re-scan, not just a re-scan.
Worth a try.
Thanks for the tip. I tried a re-scan, but it didn't help. Still no GUI and REAPER host still crashes every time.

Maybe you are right and it is time to contact Doug. Anyway, your attempt to help is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #192
zacki

Today I've installed Sonivox EightyEight and Orchestral Companion Strings. That also installed some MS VC++ Redistributable SW. I can't say if that helped, but now both Dragonfly Reverbs behave as they should

@MrMoto: I would start with 2013 version.
Attached Images
File Type: png MS_VC++.png (35.4 KB, 194 views)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #193
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You both might want to get in touch with Doug, the dev of Dragonfly & originator of this thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto View Post
Maybe you are right and it is time to contact Doug.
Yes, perhaps it's a good idea to contact Michael "Doug" Willis (aka "Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!?")
Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 PM   #194
MrMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacki View Post
Today I've installed Sonivox EightyEight and Orchestral Companion Strings. That also installed some MS VC++ Redistributable SW. I can't say if that helped, but now both Dragonfly Reverbs behave as they should

@MrMoto: I would start with 2013 version.
Thanks Zacki. I tried to install what I could find, but several redist files refused to cooperate, probably because they are already installed. Didn't help though. Dragonfly stills shows no GUI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_installed_ms_vc02.jpg (61.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 02-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #195
Michael Willis

Hi y'all, I'm working on Dragonfly Reverb again. There is a prerelease available: 2.9.1-beta. The Hall and Room reverbs are almost completely untouched, but there is a new plate reverb with three algorithms from Freeverb3, called Simple, Nested, and Tank. The Simple and Nested algorithms are two variations of Freeverb3's NVerb; they were called A and B in NVerb's interface. The Tank algorithm is based on STRev. To better hear the differences between the algorithms, crank up the decay time a bit and it will be much more obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto View Post
Dragonfly stills shows no GUI.
Try out the new beta release and let me know how it goes. I'm disappointed to hear about it failing to load for some Windows users, but it is hard for me to diagnose because I don't have windows, and even building the Windows version is kind of plug-and-pray.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #196
JamesPeters

For the Linux VST version in this beta of Plate:

High-frequency rolloff seems to get "stuck" at a setting that's too low (while controls seem to indicate otherwise). I've had this happen while adjusting a few controls. I'm unsure if it's high cut or dampen, or both. Randomly it might sound normal again (the highs suddenly jump back into the sound) if I change the right control's setting, for instance once when I switched presets a bunch of times. It seems unpredictable but mostly it's "stuck" sounding way too damped.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #197
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
High-frequency rolloff seems to get "stuck" at a setting that's too low (while controls seem to indicate otherwise). I've had this happen while adjusting a few controls. I'm unsure if it's high cut or dampen, or both. Randomly it might sound normal again (the highs suddenly jump back into the sound) if I change the right control's setting, for instance once when I switched presets a bunch of times. It seems unpredictable but mostly it's "stuck" sounding way too damped.
Thanks James as usual. Can you determine if this seems isolated to one specific reverb type, or does it happen in all three? Some of the parameters are shared between them, but others are implemented very differently depending on which reverb type that you have selected.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #198
JamesPeters

Only Plate does it.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #199
Michael Willis

I mean which plate algorithm. Simple, nested, or tank?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #200
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
I mean which plate algorithm. Simple, nested, or tank?
Oh lol. All three. It doesn't matter.

Aha! I got it to work. I realized I can get the highs back temporarily (until playback stops anyway) every time by adjusting the high cut control during playback. When playback is stopped and restarted though, it always goes back to the no-highs condition. Sometimes I have to max out the high cut, then bring it down, and as soon as it's not at 100% the highs return (ironically). It doesn't matter what alogorithm or preset it's using, it just always does this.

By the way I like the sound of the nested algorithm. Its decay is smooth. I'm guessing the original algorithm you used was tank.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-08-2020 at 09:44 AM.