Old 09-14-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
nanninga0
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper won't initialize

I can't get reaper to initialize in Windows 10 when I try to start it. I tried starting it with and without holding the shift key. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program. It all started after I downloaded AISO4All (I'm not really sure what that is, but a forum said to download it, so I did). I'm clueless as to how to set up my MIDI drivers and I must have really screwed it up. In the upper right hand corner, the Reaper program says "audio device closed", whatever that means. How can I open an audio device if the program won't initialize and let me in? I don't even know how to open or close an audio device.

This is all very new to me. I've had Reaper for three days. I used to used Voyetra Record Producer until my computer crashed and I lost that program forever. So far, I have not been able to do a thing with Reaper.

What should I do?
nanninga0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
jrk

When you say reaper won't initialise, what exactly do you mean? I gather the main window is displayed (at least enough to say "audio device closed"). Has the splash "screen" appeared and gone away again? Have you tried clicking up there where it says "audio device closed"?

Do check out the excellent user guide http://reaper.fm/userguide.php
Old 09-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
nanninga0

All I get is that opening screen with a circle going around and around and then windows saying that it cannot open the program. When windows looks for a solution, it finds nothing and closes the program. At the top of the screen, it says "not responding"
Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
nanninga0

This is a link to what the screen looks like when it freezes before initializing:

https://app.box.com/s/sqlmmgofxcupcfy9en9byuf4e4yddplj
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
nanninga0

I tried opening with cntrl-shift and that didn't work either. I cannot click on "audio device closed" because it will not let me click on anything (except the "X" in the corner to close the program). Instead of a curser, I have a little blue circle that just keeps revolving. When I close it, windows says the program is not responding.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
prezbass

This could be most anything- let's start with some stats on your computer- CPU type, RAM, hard disk(s) and sizes, operating system, etc.

We'll figure this out.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
karbomusic

Yea but it's hung, crashing or deadlocked. I'd first make a backup copy of, then delete reaper.ini and restart REAPER since the more benign start options are failing.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
nanninga0

I have a Samsung laptop

Intel Core i3-3227u CPU @ 1.90 GHz
4.00 GB RAM (3.71 usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Using Windows 10

85.8 gb free on hard drive
Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
nanninga0

I have no idea how to copy or delete reaper.ini.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
nanninga0

As a point of reference, I was able to open Reaper before I downloaded AISO4All. When I could open Reaper, the first thing I tried to do was open an rpp file I had created in Voyetra Record producer. Reaper said it couldn't parse the data, so it wouldn't open it. That is the full extent of my experience with Reaper.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
jrk

reaper.ini might be in C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

( \REAPERx64 maybe?)

Maybe try renaming reaper.ini (so you can get it back if you want to - Reaper will create a default ini file, I think) and try starting it again.

Last edited by jrk; 09-14-2017 at 08:33 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanninga0 View Post
When I could open Reaper, the first thing I tried to do was open an rpp file I had created in Voyetra Record producer. Reaper said it couldn't parse the data, so it wouldn't open it..
While the file extension is the same (.rpp), I don't think Voyetra and Reaper project files are compatible at all. I'd imagine you would first have to convert the Voyetra projects to some common format, maybe export them as wavs, and then load them into Reaper.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
nanninga0

If Reaper cannot open these Voyetra rpp files, then I am screwed. I cannot convert them to wav or mp3 if I cannot open them. Voyetra Record Producer no longer exists, was never updated or supported beyond Windows XP and cannot be reloaded onto a machine because it requires approval from Voyetra, which no longer exists. So when my computer crashed last week, I lost Voyetra Record Producer forever. Does anyone know of a workaround?

Of course, that may be a moot issue if I cannot open Reaper anyway. This 60 day trial period is not going well at all.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
If Reaper cannot open these Voyetra rpp files, then I am screwed. I cannot convert them to wav or mp3 if I cannot open them. Voyetra Record Producer no longer exists, was never updated or supported beyond Windows XP and cannot be reloaded onto a machine because it requires approval from Voyetra, which no longer exists. So when my computer crashed last week, I lost Voyetra Record Producer forever. Does anyone know of a workaround?

Of course, that may be a moot issue if I cannot open Reaper anyway. This 60 day trial period is not going well at all.
I think there is a conflation here that because Voyetra used .RPP for it's projects (if that is the case), that this means Reaper, which also uses .RPP for it's project can magically work with them. This is not the case, they are two completely separate applications that just happen to use the same file extension. Any application gets to choose what it wants to use for it's own file extension(s), sometimes those collide but the only similarity is that name collision.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
jrk

Quote:
This 60 day trial period is not going well at all.
In fairness, this isn't 100% a reaper issue - Of course reaper should handle being given the wrong kind of project file more gracefully than this. (If this is what's mucked things up, that is). But there's no real reason to expect reaper to open your old project, from some other program, just because the file extension is the same.

There's some folks out there on the interwebs claiming to have Voyetra Record producer and to have sucessfully activated it with some registry hack (since it's no longer possible to authorise it properly). Sounds dodgy to me, but you might look into that.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
nanninga0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
reaper.ini might be in C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

( \REAPERx64 maybe?)

Maybe try renaming reaper.ini (so you can get it back if you want to - Reaper will create a default ini file, I think) and try starting it again.
I went to the AppData\roaming\reaper and did not find any ini file.
I went to \reaperx64 and found no ini file
I did a search on my entire C drive and found no reaper.ini file
Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
I can't get reaper to initializeIt all started after I downloaded AISO4All (I'm not really sure what that is, but a forum said to download it, so I did). I'm clueless as to how to set up my MIDI drivers and I must have really screwed it up. In the upper right hand corner, the Reaper program says "audio device closed", whatever that means. How can I open an audio device if the program won't initialize and let me in? I don't even know how to open or close an audio device.

This is all very new to me. I've had Reaper for three days. I used to used Voyetra Record Producer until my computer crashed and I lost that program forever. So far, I have not been able to do a thing with Reaper.

What should I do?
Based on the bold parts and using REAPER in general, I'd download the REAPER manual and/or start here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Sit back, relax a little, and get some of the basics under your belt which will make life better, it just won't happen in 30 seconds so a tiny bit of patience will go a long way. I empathize with wanting to hit the ground running but me thinks a little prep work will really help.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
nanninga0

Quote:
In fairness, this isn't 100% a reaper issue - Of course reaper should handle being given the wrong kind of project file more gracefully than this. (If this is what's mucked things up, that is). But there's no real reason to expect reaper to open your old project, from some other program, just because the file extension is the same.

There's some folks out there on the interwebs claiming to have Voyetra Record producer and to have sucessfully activated it with some registry hack (since it's no longer possible to authorise it properly). Sounds dodgy to me, but you might look into that.
Yes, I did that registry hack and the program worked just fine for years. But when I had to reset my windows after it crashed, the program was lost from my program files. You can only do the registry hack if the program was already successfully loaded in the past. If you try to reload the program, the hack doesn't work.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
jrk

Quote:
I did a search on my entire C drive and found no reaper.ini file

You may need to tell windows to show hidden files (I know, but there you go) before you can see it?

Personally, I find windows search unhelpful often. Which is why I have grepwin. That'll find anything.
(If you don't mind waiting...)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
You may need to tell windows to show hidden files (I know, but there you go) before you can see it?

Personally, I find windows search unhelpful often. Which is why I have grepwin. That'll find anything.
There should be no reason to search if he can actually open Reaper.... Options > Show reaper resource path...
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There should be no reason to search if he can actually open Reaper.... Options > Show reaper resource path...

Ha. Yes, but the OP can't. That's where we came in.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #22
nanninga0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Based on the bold parts and using REAPER in general, I'd download the REAPER manual and/or start here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Sit back, relax a little, and get some of the basics under your belt which will make life better, it just won't happen in 30 seconds so a tiny bit of patience will go a long way. I empathize with wanting to hit the ground running but me thinks a little prep work will really help.
I downloaded the manual right after loading the program and can find nothing in it to tell me how to do anything if the program will not open other than saying to try opening while holding shift or holding cntrl-shift. I did what the manual said in this regard and still nothing.

I also watched about 4 introductory videos on youtube before opening the program. That's where I got the idea to download VISO4all.

I can patiently sit in front of a program which refuses to load all day, but that gets me nowhere. I appreciate the time you took to provide advice, but how do I prep for my current situation?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #23
nanninga0

Quote:

(If you don't mind waiting...)
I told windows to show hidden files and still could not find it.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
I downloaded the manual right after loading the program and can find nothing in it to tell me how to do anything if the program will not open other than saying to try opening while holding shift or holding cntrl-shift. I did what the manual said in this regard and still nothing.

I also watched about 4 introductory videos on youtube before opening the program. That's where I got the idea to download VISO4all.

I can patiently sit in front of a program which refuses to load all day, but that gets me nowhere. I appreciate the time you took to provide advice, but how do I prep for my current situation?
I'm not completely sure where you are stuck at the moment, apologies. Just to clear that up, can you actually open Reaper right now (by clicking the shortcut, not a project file)?

Once I'm clear, we'll get something rolling in some fashion - my guess is that if you can't open Reaper, there is a problem with ASIO4ALL or something where it initializes the driver (which occurs right when Reaper starts). If that is the case, we may want to find the ini and delete it.

Secondly, you can, just install a portable version to some folder of your choice, then work from that which will bypass any current issues with the current install (hopefully). To install portable, run the installer, check the Portable install checkbox, create/browse to the folder you want it to install to etc.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #25
jrk

Quote:
but how do I prep for my current situation?
It's a real pain isn't it?
The troubleshooting FAQ is a good place to start. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23297
Old 09-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
I told windows to show hidden files and still could not find it.
It isn't a hidden file. If this is a regular install in "Program files", I don't think the OS indexes there for searches, generally that is a good thing. Assuming you installed 64 bit there is one place it is most likely to reside...

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\REAPER <== this is likely the one you care about - check here first.

**** It is possible that your OS is configured (by default) to hide extensions aka .INI - if that is the case, and you find the path above, you may see a file that is just called REAPER in the folder because .ini at the isn't visible.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-14-2017 at 09:51 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #27
nanninga0

Thanks everyone. I finally got back into reaper.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #28
jrk

Excellent - hope it works out.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #29
Littlemitch

How did you do at the end ??
Littlemitch is offline   Reply With Quote