Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
5/4
Human being with feelings

Default Which sampler to use?

Hi all,
just putting out a question regarding which sampler most users tend to have in the setup with reaper?
I would love to be able to use kontakt but can't afford the price tag at the moment so have been experimenting with other samplers at the minute but haven't been able to find one that fits into my workflow properly.
The main issue I have come up against with a number of the samplers I have tried is that they lack the ability for me to be able to drag clips from the main project window straight into the sampler, rather I have to bounce out to wav and then bring the clips back into the project.
Does anyone have any recommendations or worklflow tips that could aid me?
I was thinking perhaps if I cant find a suitable freeware or otherwise sampler I should look into creating a custom action to quickly bounce out groups of clips and bring them back into the project.
Anyway thanks all!
5/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
acintya

yeah! you read my mind.i am searching for something similar. im sick of always render and then to put it in a sampler like the reasamplomatic5000 from reaper
acintya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #3
IXix

This one...
TX16Wx Software Sampler
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 AM   #4
djangotsp

My main issue with budget samplers has been locating missing samples. I used to run a Mac at work and a PC at home. Currently it's three Windows machines. I need peace of mind that projects will open down the line if I switch computers or operating systems.

Last time I used TX16WX. as far as I remember it showed which files were missing but I had to browse for each sample manually. I also wanted something for quick non-destructive auto-slicing of drum loops, but the transient detection wasn't great. Slicex by Image-Line does a better job at that particular task (I haven't tried Slicex as a VST yet though). TX has a very loyal fan base though. If the kinks haven't been ironed out I'm sure they will be.

Grace by One Small Cue is another cool free sampler. Being Windows only I haven't given it much consideration, but it's free and might suit your needs.

I also own Structure and Transfuser by Air Music Tech. They're tempting budget options, but I wouldn't recommend them. Transfuser once reloaded with scrambled slice markers, and Structure crashed when I tried to relocate missing samples.

Geist (for drums and loops) and Falcon are the next tiers up, but as soon as I cross the $200 mark, I feel I may as well save for Komplete. You really can't beat it for value.
djangotsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Yep, that one.

TX16Wx will load several missing samples at once, but if they are all over the place, then you may need several loads, or select a top-level folder so it would take a while to search through the whole folder hierarchy. Other samplers would do the same.

Last edited by DarkStar; 12-07-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: typo
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #6
rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangotsp View Post

Last time I used TX16WX. as far as I remember it showed which files were missing but I had to browse for each sample manually. I also wanted something for quick non-destructive auto-slicing of drum loops, but the transient detection wasn't great. Slicex by Image-Line does a better job at that particular task (I haven't tried Slicex as a VST yet though). TX has a very loyal fan base though. If the kinks haven't been ironed out I'm sure they will be.
Tx16wx has a pretty good search management. Select the folder and tick do same for all others. Key hear is to keep your all samples in a parent folder. But even still I believe i have simply selected the drive and it found them all quickly.

I really like Tx16wx....wish it had bigger text and was a bit more stable.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 AM   #7
barefaced

As sampler I use Geist2 with Reaper. It works great and has a search function for missing samples (easy to use; I switch often between Computers).
I have also tried the TX16WX Software, but for me, it doesn't work so good as Geist(2). Maybe because I am using samplers more for beatmaking in a HipHop/Dance way. I am not so interestet in sampling natural sounding instruments and play them per keyboard.

Geist has more a AKAI MPC like approach. The TX16WX looks a little bit like a EMU Sampler (or as statet, as a yamaha sampler unit).

With Geist you have the possibility to plug a so called Spitter as VST plugin to your tracks. Now you can sample directly in Geist by selecting the Spitter as input and play your tracks.
You have also the possibility to sample the Geist output again as Input.

I have never used Kontakt for sampling.
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 AM   #8
DarkStar

^^^^

>>> https://i.imgur.com/SuOLBmu.png

My "Red zest" GUI.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
just putting out a question regarding which sampler most users tend to have in the setup with reaper?
Heyo- well I don't know about most but I think the emu x3 is a champ.
It's a beast of a sampler still to this day-old gold.Came a little bit before drag n drop times,but that's not a problem.
As it's discontinued- i'm not sure what the rules are about sharing stuff like that?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
5/4

So I have TX16W and I have to say for the most part it seems very much workable for what I need, except for the drag and drop from project timeline option which if I remember correctly worked when I used Kontakt.
Does this feature work for you guys or have you come up with a particular workaround?
I'm not so much interested in loading full instruments as some people here might be compared to wanting to load up samples that have been made within the project I'm working on at any given time.
Cheers!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
xpander

Emulator X3 is discontinued but it is still for sale and can be licensed too, it's still legit. The software has not been updated in ages anymore, but there are user reports of it working even on Win10. KVR has some topics about this.
https://www.digitalproaudiosamples.c...mpler-software

Like already suggested, for years my favorite has also been the TX16Wx.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Emulator X3 is discontinued but it is still for sale and can be licensed too, it's still legit. The software has not been updated in ages anymore, but there are user reports of it working even on Win10. KVR has some topics about this.
https://www.digitalproaudiosamples.c...mpler-software

Like already suggested, for years my favorite has also been the TX16Wx.
Aye-yip thanx xpander-- on second closer inspection it appears to be abandoned/orphaned software,but I think creative technology still hold the cards there--shame really because I think a really decent sampler should come with a daw.
Did try TX16Wx-but it didn't click with me--I preferred using shortcircuit tbh,but both very very good.

This is also a good time/place to air a request to cockos> if they would see the sense with developing their own xpanded sooper doooper version of reasamplomatic - bring it fully upto date!
^This is 1 place that could actually readefine cockos as a company-- having their own unique,fully furnished,top of the technology charts device-- as a fully integrated workflow//feature in reaper.
^Would make a v.6 license an absolute prepayment thing <here>,otherwise....meh..=customers do have a little buying 'power'-- users often go elsewhere for stuff like this right??

A lot of users have no instruments place to start-a brilliant (wikkidly competent,but very easy to use) sampler really changes that new user experience! {imo}
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/4 View Post
So I have TX16W and I have to say for the most part it seems very much workable for what I need, except for the drag and drop from project timeline option
That works. I don't do that often so I can't remember which off the top of my head but it's ctrl/alt/shift + drag. I think it renders the dragged items to a new file.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
5/4

oh that isn't working for me, perhaps its a problem with my configuration then that involves a change made a few years back..

If anyone is using that combination and its working for them could you perhaps tell me the action involved so i can find it and set it up again? Sorry I have been out of reaper world for about a year and a half now so I am going at a snails pace right now..
Old 09-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #15
Goldreap

Ctrl+Alt then drag works here.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #16
DarkStar

Yes, and it gets rendered into your project's directory.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
5/4

ok thanks guys I must have a problem with my mouse modifiers will just revert to default config then work from there! Sorry for the kerfuffle
Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
mikeroephonics

Native Instruments usually has a winter sale around November. I bought Kontakt when it was on sale at 50% off for $200. It's a really good sampler with many deep options. I'm not sure about dragging clips into it (away from my DAW at the moment.)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Native Instruments usually has a winter sale around November. I bought Kontakt when it was on sale at 50% off for $200. It's a really good sampler with many deep options. I'm not sure about dragging clips into it (away from my DAW at the moment.)
Yeah, I've never tried to drag files from Reaper into Kontakt either, but you can drag them in from a folder.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
5/4

Sorry to be a pain with this guys but for the life of me I cant figure out whats wrong but I cannot drag audio items from my project timeline directly into my TX16Wx. I have tried every possible keyboard combination i could think of, with cmd alt being the most promising so far as far as mouse icons go but still no success.

I reverted my reaper back to default config so everything was standard as if it was a fresh download and still nothing. Is there a chance that its not possible to do what i wanted and i just worded my statements wrong or is there something obvious im missing here? is it just that i must render the audio files first as they do not really exist if i am just editing clips in timeline. Even then though it seems i need to go back to media explorer to instert them into the vsti rather than straight from the timeline.

Anyway thanks for the troubleshooting help and everything! Bit of a broken record over here
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #21
xpander

Quote:
Sorry to be a pain with this guys but for the life of me I cant figure out whats wrong but I cannot drag audio items from my project timeline directly into my TX16Wx.
Like Goldreap said, Ctrl + Alt works for me too, dragging from the main arrange. But these are wav files which have already been dragged into the arrange from the Media Explorer and are known to work with TX16Wx. Issue might be the file format?

Btw. have you tried to grab the file you are trying to drag & drop from different areas? I have changed my media item related mouse modifiers somewhat and here, if I grab the item from the bottom part, I can't drag/drop to TX16Wx. But if I grab from the top part of the item, I can.

Last edited by xpander; 09-21-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
Goldreap

I hold Ctrl + Alt FIRST, then left click drag ...but hang on, you're on Mac, I've read that Mac has problems with things like this.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #23
5/4

This might be a mac issue perhaps then?
I have mouse modifiers that change bottom part of my regions also but yeah like I say I have tried with a fresh config for this action and still nada.
I haven't tried searching for anything mac specific yet though so maybe this is a common problem, my memories of using kontakt in this manner could well be from back in my pc days now that I think about it :S
Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
Goldreap

This is what I read recently... in relation to MeldaProduction MAutoEqualizer, but could be relevant:
"Alternatively, you can analyze an audio file (WAV, MP3, FLAC etc.) offline by dragging & dropping the file from your host or Explorer / Finder onto the Analyze target button (this may not work in all hosts, especially on Mac)."
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
5/4

well maybe my next step is to check existing bug reports or post one of my own!
thanks for the help
Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #26
xpander

Quote:
This might be a mac issue perhaps then?
Maybe. Here's something related:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140027

And the bug report:
OSX: Drag & Drop Items to VSTi samplers doesn't work
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140095
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #27
Sju

Set your left drag modifier of choice to: "Open source file in editor or external application" (don't have to necessarily render it first, which is what the default modifier does)
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #28
5/4

Thanks for your help everyone.

Yes it seems like this is a bug with Reaper for the time being, honestly an extremely frustrating one as working with audio and sampling/resampling is very important to me. Seems strange that this has been a known bug for so long and it still exists..

Anyway cheers all have a good one, will update here or anywhere relevant if I find a fix