Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
DaveG
Human being with feelings

Default PreSonus XMAX microphone preamplifiers

PreSonus XMAX microphone preamplifiers anyone using these pres. How would you rate them. I'm in the possess of getting a new audio interface and don't know if I should get one that's load with pres' (cheaper solution) or one that's needs external pres'.

Last edited by DaveG; 12-29-2009 at 05:56 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Jeahvel

Default Good stuff IMO...

I don't know anything about the XMAX but wanted to offer that I've owned several pieces of PreSonus gear throughout the years and have never been disappointed with their performance. From a specs standpoint, they seem to over-engineer their pieces and you get a good value for your dollar.

As to your question concerning 'built-in' vs. 'external' preamps, I'll let those with more experience address the issue with their opinions. I just wanted to chime in that, in my opinion, you will end up with a nice piece of equipment if you go with PreSonus.
Jeahvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
manning1

DaveG
sometime check out a rane ms1b mic pre.
these are well regarded mic pre's at a low price.
also for less...another is studio projects vt1b.
i was recently very impressed hearing how well the vt1b
stood up to very hi end mic pre's on an excellent vocallist.

as to a new interface..lots of people seem to like echo audiofire
range, depends on your budget.
i know nothing bout presonus to comment.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Sigilus

I like the PreSonus preamp sound. It's pretty transparant compared to other stuff in that price range.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
DaveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
I like the PreSonus preamp sound. It's pretty transparant compared to other stuff in that price range.
Hey Ken, what sort of preamps are you comparing the presonus ones to.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
ZoD

Hey Dave: If latency happens to be a part of your issues list, you might want to consider the MOTU 8pre. I just recently went through the whole I-need-to-get-a-new-interface thing, and did a shitload of research before deciding on the 8pre. I mention it only because it's in the same price range as the Presonus stuff, and I'm REALLY happy with it. I was using a Digi002 before that though, so there was nowhere to go but up...

In any case, I've found the MOTU mic pres to be much better than the Digi002, and see the 8pre as the best value in that price range.

Hope that helps...

ZoD

www.musicofzod.com
ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
DaveG

I just saw a RME multiface for $350 at a local music shop, no box or driver disc, 30 day return and six month warranty. This seems like a no-brainer. Hope it's still there when I go to pick it up.
Now I need to hunt down some preamps.

Last edited by DaveG; 12-31-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
ZoD

I think that's an EXCELLENT decision.

Good for you!

ZoD

www.musicofzod.com
ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Alex.W

The Presonus XMAX preamps are notoriously transparent. They are capable of achieving professional recording quality. However, they lack any kind of warmth, and are very sterile. If you get a FP10 (which I'm using), you may also want to invest in a tube preamp to use with it. If you get something like an ART Pro MPA II with digital out ($400 or so), you can plug it into the S/PDIF in the back of the FP10 giving you 10 preamp inputs.

That's a pretty decent deal, I'd say!

I hear the Motu stuff is pretty good as well, but I've never had a chance to try it.
Alex.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Deltones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeahvel View Post
From a specs standpoint, they seem to over-engineer their pieces and you get a good value for your dollar.
Except for their freaking Firestudio drivers.
Deltones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
yep

Presonus makes very clean, quiet, and transparent preamps for the money. That's kind of their schtick.

As to whether to get an all-in-one box, or an audio interface that doesn't come with preamps (or that comes with only two, as is common), it really depends a lot on how you plan to work and how much money you want to spend.

An all-in-one box is almost certainly going to be cheaper than apples-to-apples equivalent gear, if for no other reason than that you're not paying for 8 enclosures, packaging, power supplies, etc. It's also going to save you the cost and complexity of power strips, interconnects, and rack space to hold all the external preamps (which are not insignificant), plus it greatly simplifies use and routing. So it makes a lot of sense, if you're happy with the preamps you're getting.

OTOH, if you have (or plan to get) a collection of specialty or "color" preamps, as many studios do, then an interface full of preamps you're not going to use is a bit of a waste. If your $1,000 interface is really a $500 interface with $500 worth of preamps that you're not going to use, then you're better off either spending less or getting more in the way of features, converter quality, etc.

I don't think anyone is likely to complain about the sound quality of presonus preamps. Presonus build quality sometimes tends to run a bit on the flimsy side (soldered-on knobs are a particular gripe), and their drivers have been known to raise complaints, both for compatibility problems and for annoying "hidden" latency. But sound quality for the money is their standout feature.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote