Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Luke Warm
Human being with feelings

Default routing question

Hi Anyone,

I am slowly getting better and I am able to hear what I don't like about my mixes and how muddy they are. Lots of fixes/ learning curves apply to improve this, I know.

One thing I had been doing is using sweetening/ time effects (reverb etc) within the primary instrument or vocal tracks. I am now ready to begin to put all effects on secondary channels and blend them in.

Is it as simple as having a track 1 that I want to add reverb too, putting the reverb on track 2, and then using the send function to send/blen the signal from track 2 back to track 1?

Thanks to anyone who can help a newbie without the lash

LUUUUUUUUke
Luke Warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Coachz

Yeah, its that easy. Drag the io from track 1 to 2 and the send is created.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Luke Warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Yeah, its that easy. Drag the io from track 1 to 2 and the send is created.
Thanks Coachz. I know what i/o is or so I thought. What does it mean to drag it?
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

First of all, nothing is going "back" from Track 2 to Track 1. You send from 1 (the original track) to 2 (the reverb track) and then both of them generally send to some parent or bus or whatever where they are mixed together. By default, they will just both pass up to the Master. The point being, it's not any kind of round trip from 1>2>1. That would cause feedback, and Reaper won't let it happen unless you check the box in Project Settings, which you don't normally need or want to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warm View Post
Thanks Coachz. I know what i/o is or so I thought. What does it mean to drag it?
Literally left-click and hold on the I/O button on the send track, drag to anywhere on the receive track, and let go of the button. You can also drag from the area in the MCP where sends are displayed and accomplish the same thing.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Luke Warm

Thank you ashcat. I understood you I think, as you were quite clear. What if I am not sending anything to master buss, and instead, my original intention was to send the instrument on track 1 through a stereo or mono hardware output for summing? (I think I was just very clear, but I can explain more if I was not).

Also, I realize otb I have other options perhaps but I am only summing out there, so my faders for each channel are ITB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
First of all, nothing is going "back" from Track 2 to Track 1. You send from 1 (the original track) to 2 (the reverb track) and then both of them generally send to some parent or bus or whatever where they are mixed together. By default, they will just both pass up to the Master. The point being, it's not any kind of round trip from 1>2>1. That would cause feedback, and Reaper won't let it happen unless you check the box in Project Settings, which you don't normally need or want to do.

Literally left-click and hold on the I/O button on the send track, drag to anywhere on the receive track, and let go of the button. You can also drag from the area in the MCP where sends are displayed and accomplish the same thing.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warm View Post
...my original intention was to send the instrument on track 1 through a stereo or mono hardware output for summing?
Well, I guess my point was that the reverb track is itself a separate track that needs to be mixed with everything else one way or the other. You'd basically have to send it out to your hardware also.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
Kenny Gioia

https://youtu.be/KhK8UGYRXXc
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
Luke Warm

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post