Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
FastTriggerFish
Human being with feelings

Default Live coding with reaper scripts & JSFX

Hi all,

I'm new to the Reaper scripting world and was wondering about the feasibility of live coding music in this environment, similarly to what can be done in TidalCycles, Extempore, Supercollider, Gibber etc.

Specifically I'm wondering about:

1) Ability to create free running / looping sequences of notes and to programmatically change them on the fly ( e.g change order, change rythm, transpose ... ) without gaps or glitches
2) Ability to create or modify sound generators /synths or fx and apply them / add them to the audio graph in realtime without glitching
3) Ability to evaluate individual blocks of code in realtime ( as opposed to being forced to run whole files ).

Number 2) is not strictly necessary ( it's fine if they have to be created before running the transport ) but a bonus, but 1 and 3 are important.

Thanks in advance !
FastTriggerFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
IXix

I don't think you can have 3. AFAIK, if you change any part of a JSFX, the whole thing has to be recompiled, including any included files. There are two kinds of recompile though, the quick version and the "full recompile/reset" so some data can be preserved across a quick recompile.

I'm not sure exactly what gets reset by a quick recompile but I think memory and variables might be preserved unless explicitly reset by code in @init.

I'd suggest doing some experiments.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 AM   #3
X-Raym

I would say it is not possible either.

Better take a look at SonicPi.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
FastTriggerFish

I see, thanks for the info. I might do some tests but it could take me a bit of time before I know enough to try the right things.
Yes SonicPi is similar to the options I mentioned above.
But having that stuff integrated into the DAW would be much better.

Gibberwocky for max 4 live works along these lines and is excellent, but having everything "native" in the DAW is always going to be more robust etc.

Last edited by FastTriggerFish; 10-10-2018 at 10:22 AM.
FastTriggerFish is offline   Reply With Quote