Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 07-10-2022, 01:55 AM   #1041
Andreya
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
As it stands currently, Particles cannot fit even in an oscillator (limited to 7 parameters, filters to 2). In Surge XT 2.0 we will be increasing some of these limitations (oscillators likely going to 14 params), so implementing Particles as an oscillator would then be tractable.
*Partials.

Anyway, now that you mention it I guess I knew that about 7 params. In time-domain mode, that's 1 param too many currently. That's assuming the ADSR would be omitted, and the model selection would go in the waveform drop-down, like the wavetables.

Actually I'm thinking it should fit already. IMO the last time-domain parameter (No. of partials to include) could just be fixed at 64. The sound shaping it offers is very close to a slightly resonant voice-level LPF with tracking. Surge can obviously help out with that.

But maybe we should continue that conversation in the Surge discord.
Andreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #1042
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreya View Post
No, it happens in the MIDI modes only.
I should clarify, this happens only with FM Filter 2, not the OG one. So if there's any difference between how those respond to note-offs, that'll be the culprit.

Attaching a .rpp that shows it, though you'd need Surge XT for it. Stock would be better to demo with, I know, but there isn't a stock monosynth suitable for demonstrating this musical situation.

Good to hear about the pitch bend possibilities.
Thank you. The timbre change was due to the fm oscillator resetting its phase on note off. I've now made it not do that. There's an extra button there too to get the old behavior back, for people who may rely on it.

I have also added functionality to have the FM section respond to pitch bend CCs to FM Filter 2.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:52 PM   #1043
EvilDragon

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but to me it's a bit of an unexpected behavior.

So in Filther, when you assign modulation (say to filter cutoff) to a certain amount, if you drag the cutoff slider all the way to the right, it kills all your modulation, as if you've never set it. Is this intended? It feels wrong...

I'd expect the modulation to be clamped to the maximum cutoff value, sure. But not for the whole modulation assignment to vanish.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #1044
Andreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Thank you. The timbre change was due to the fm oscillator resetting its phase on note off. I've now made it not do that. There's an extra button there too to get the old behavior back, for people who may rely on it.

I have also added functionality to have the FM section respond to pitch bend CCs to FM Filter 2.
Thank you as well! It did sound like a phase reset, but I wasn't sure. Good work.

And extra thanks for the pitch bend function too, that'll make this way more useful to me. Updating now!
Old 07-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #1045
nub

Saike (or anyone else who can help), would it be possible to add levels controls to Abyss?

Separate level for wet, water/ice and, especially, for high and low octave, since, most shimmers use only high octave and they have the low octave as an option.

Ah, and maybe an option to turn off the graphics, low and high octave, if that would use less cpu.

I have other ideas, but these, I guess, would be easier to implement.

Thanks in advance
nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #1046
sai'ke

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but to me it's a bit of an unexpected behavior.

So in Filther, when you assign modulation (say to filter cutoff) to a certain amount, if you drag the cutoff slider all the way to the right, it kills all your modulation, as if you've never set it. Is this intended? It feels wrong...

I'd expect the modulation to be clamped to the maximum cutoff value, sure. But not for the whole modulation assignment to vanish.
Oh I fully agree. This is due to some horrid kludge in that plugin. I should really fix that. Problem is, I wrote that plugin while still getting to grips with some of the curiosities of JSFX a bit so the code isn't very maintainable at all.

I'll look into fixing it, but I need to be careful, because existing presets should be kept into some sort of legacy mode because otherwise they'd break.

Quote:
Thank you as well! It did sound like a phase reset, but I wasn't sure. Good work.

And extra thanks for the pitch bend function too, that'll make this way more useful to me. Updating now!
Coolcool. Happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nub View Post
Saike (or anyone else who can help), would it be possible to add levels controls to Abyss?

Separate level for wet, water/ice and, especially, for high and low octave, since, most shimmers use only high octave and they have the low octave as an option.

Ah, and maybe an option to turn off the graphics, low and high octave, if that would use less cpu.

I have other ideas, but these, I guess, would be easier to implement.

Thanks in advance
Separate control for wet is easy.
Water/ice less, since that's really a toggle and you get one or the other.
Volume control for low octave is easy, but I'd have to check.

It'd add quite a few extra sliders though, which while giving more control, does take away from simplicity. I can see if I can maybe make a slider-only version for this.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #1047
foxAsteria

Quote:
I'll look into fixing it, but I need to be careful, because existing presets should be kept into some sort of legacy mode because otherwise they'd break.
Why not...Filther 2?
Old 07-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #1048
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Why not...Filther 2?
You mean a complete rewrite? I've toyed with the idea, but it's really _a lot_ of work. Also, rebuild means new, but different bugs too. Lots of iterating again. Already have a huge number of plugins and scripts to maintain.

There's so much functionality in it by now it'd take a really long time to get back up to feature parity.

Also, I'm not sure if I would include all the filters again. I think many of them behave kind of poorly. If I were to do a rebuild, I would likely go for a pretty different setup.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #1049
foxAsteria

Quote:
If I were to do a rebuild, I would likely go for a pretty different setup.
Yea it's easy to ask things when someone else has to do the work...;p It's still my favorite but I would prefer a slightly less beastly version.

That's all I was suggesting tho, might as well leave the original be (for compatibility) and leave any features or improvements for if/when you decide to give the concept another go.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:31 AM   #1050
todd_r

Quote:
...Also, I'm not sure if I would include all the filters again. I think many of them behave kind of poorly...
I like it when they do that lol
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:04 AM   #1051
rafa1981

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if I would include all the filters again. I think many of them behave kind of poorly...
As I have used some of them (K35/Steiner/Ladder) on my code, knowing a bit more about this could be interesting for me
rafa1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #1052
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa1981 View Post
As I have used some of them (K35/Steiner/Ladder) on my code, knowing a bit more about this could be interesting for me
Those should be fine. It's more the ones that were marked red in Filther now that were sketchy. I think all of the ones in FM Filter 2 are solid. It's especially some of my earlier stuff that was a bit ... shall we say rickety?

- Spectral Analyzer: Just as a more general heads up, I have pushed a fairly big update to the spectral analyzer over the weekend. It should cut its memory usage by a significant amount. Please let me know if you have any issues since it was a bit of an overhaul.
- SEQS: Reduced plugin latency. Made sure PDC is reported correctly (PDC reporting can be turned off).
- SEQS: Made frequency shifter pitch respond to automation from the timeline.

Last edited by sai'ke; 08-10-2022 at 01:09 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:54 PM   #1053
rafa1981

OK, thanks! I confused Filther 2 with FM filter 2. I always thought that those were pretty cool, specially the k35. Probably the coolest open source ones available.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #1054
sai'ke

Quote:
OK, thanks! I confused Filther 2 with FM filter 2. I always thought that those were pretty cool, specially the k35. Probably the coolest open source ones available.
I'm glad you like 'em

I added a new toy to the repo. It's called phase mangler.

This plugin can be used to shift the phase of audio in a frequency dependent manner. One can draw a desired phase shift using a spline. Notes can be added/removed with outer mouse button.

The amount of phase shift can be modulated by using the scaling bar at the top. Be warned, setting it to very high values produces artifact-rich sounds (but who knows, that may just be what you want!).

The plugin has a number of modes of operation.

Linked - Left and right are distorted according to the same shape.
Opposite - Left and right are phase shifted in an opposite manner. Good for making whooshy laser-like sounds, but can lead to loss of mono-compatiblity.
Mono-Opposite - This mode works like opposite, but computes the changes applied to the left and right channel and adds an opposite change to the other channel. This serves more as a widener.

This plugin operates using an STFT. Note that very sharp phase transitions can lead to artefacts. Special thanks go out to Geraint, since his STFT template showed so nicely how to process two channels of audio with one FFT; and a5k5 and swdi0j and e3ee for the idea of creating a disperser-like effect; also thanks to BirdBird for finding an issue with re-initialization (and solving it! ).

Hope you have fun with it.

Some fun tips:
- Put it in front of a distortion and see how changes in the waveform dramatically change the tone of the distortion.
- Reduce the spline to two points and make the line go off the charts, then increase the scale => lasers!
- Put dry/wet at 50/50 and use it as a weird filter (moving the line to + or - 180 degrees phase will cancel out those frequencies).

Last edited by sai'ke; 08-13-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #1055
foxAsteria

Saike...are you hooked up to an IV drip filled with liquid drive? Idk how you do it...
Old 08-22-2022, 11:55 AM   #1056
Fergler

Liquid Drive sounds like a good name for the next Sai'ke plugin

Last edited by Fergler; 08-22-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #1057
Cosmic

Mindbending
Old 08-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #1058
todd_r

Finally got round to trying out partials properly and its great!

Did a little tune with it

https://soundcloud.com/michael-todd-47/lithium

Last edited by todd_r; 08-29-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:35 AM   #1059
sai'ke

Quote:
Saike...are you hooked up to an IV drip filled with liquid drive? Idk how you do it...
No sleep and a very supportive wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Liquid Drive sounds like a good name for the next Sai'ke plugin
With a name like that it sounds like it's gotta have some sort of synthwavey style. Sounds like some sort of saturator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Mindbending
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Finally got round to trying out partials properly and its great!

Did a little tune with it

https://soundcloud.com/michael-todd-47/lithium
Cool tune!

I'm curious, how was the user experience. Anything you would add/change?

I am considering adding some built in impulsive noise generator or sampler since I always find it a bit of a pain that I need to have a synth in front of it. I would make it optional of course. Since I think being able to use it as effect makes it kind of unique.

I also find it challenging to dial in the gain. Sometimes notes in the low registers seem a lot louder than higher ones. I know exactly why this is and it is fixable with higher base damping but it often requires a bit more tweaking than I would desire.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:43 AM   #1060
juan_r

Partials is my favorite among all of Sai'ke's creations. Any time spent perfecting Partials is, in my selfish opinion, the best coding time for Sai'ke
Old 09-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #1061
Tapio

Hi, thanks for your gorgeous plugins. I was always wondering: Is there a way to increase UI size for those JSFX plugins? UI elements/fonts are always pretty small on my 2K screen res. I think it's ant size on a 4K monitor. Something I am overlooking? TIA
Tapio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #1062
sai'ke

Today I added two more oscillator types to Yutani. Both are based on a comb filter. In free phase mode, they take noise as input. In phase-lock mode they take an impulse. They sound pretty similar to saw and square, but a little more textured. Note that using them on either oscillator locks you out of hard-sync mode and oscillator FM (this is not a bug).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapio View Post
Hi, thanks for your gorgeous plugins. I was always wondering: Is there a way to increase UI size for those JSFX plugins? UI elements/fonts are always pretty small on my 2K screen res. I think it's ant size on a 4K monitor. Something I am overlooking? TIA
Some of the newer ones should scale, but the older ones might not. Which ones are giving you trouble? I can see if I can add some scaling to them.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #1063
DuX

I've just dropped by to say thank you to Sai'ke for one of the greatest, if not the greatest, bundle of JSFX in existence! Thank you!

I "lost" whole afternoon today just playing with those. My favourites are your filters and the bass synth, of course. Incredible work.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #1064
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I've just dropped by to say thank you to Sai'ke for one of the greatest, if not the greatest, bundle of JSFX in existence! Thank you!

I "lost" whole afternoon today just playing with those. My favourites are your filters and the bass synth, of course. Incredible work.
Thank you for the kind words! Hope you're ready to lose another afternoon because I just pushed a relatively big update to Yutani

Changelog

Yutani: Added two new oscillators based on comb filters
Two oscillators which sound like a plucked saw or square. When selected, an extra knob appear between amplitude and semitones. This knob allows you to dial in the decay. You can change the operation mode by pressing the phase toggle (see below):

In "Free" phase mode, they are excited by noise input, in locked mode by an impulse.

Yutani: 7 new filters
7 new filters were added. Each filter has its own characteristic sound owing to different non-linearities used in the filter. Since these filters are non-linear, it's good to play with the drive a lot as you explore them.

Here you can hear them in action. It's just vanilla Yutani with a simple delay produced with Reflectosaurus:
https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...llow_filts.mp3
https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...low_filts2.mp3
https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...er_context.mp3
https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...low_filts3.mp3

Yutani: Added a SuperSaw oscillator
Sometimes working with only a few waveforms can feel a bit limiting if you want a richer/wider sound. For this purpose, I added a Super Saw waveform. It's basically a unison saw. If you enable the supersaw oscillator, it will add an extra knob between amplitude and semitones. This knob is used to control the level of detuning. Note that this knob impacts both oscillators (if they are set to super saw).

Yutani: Small optimizations
Yutani will now reduce its CPU consumption when it's not producing audio.
Some minor optimization was done regarding filter selection, which Yutani slightly more efficient.

Yutani: Maximum cutoff now sample rate independent
Previously, the filter cutoffs would go up all the way to 0.934 * Nyquist. This meant that the operation of Yutani was sample rate dependent. This is fixed now. There is still a legacy button available next to the Inertia button.

I've also been chipping away at Partials, but none of that is ready for release yet.

Last edited by sai'ke; 09-18-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #1065
todd_r

Quote:
I'm curious, how was the user experience. Anything you would add/change?
The first little stumbling block was clicking the keyboard to change the built in chord, more user error than anything, realised later I could unclick a note to set a new one.

Other than that I did have the issue where lower notes were more prominent than higher and was tricky to dial out as you say.

Would it be possible to draw or otherwise create your own partial presets?
Old 09-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #1066
todd_r

Loving the new filters and oscillators!
Old 09-22-2022, 04:46 AM   #1067
rafa1981

I will have to check out those filters. The demos sound good
Old 09-25-2022, 09:17 AM   #1068
sai'ke

Quote:
The first little stumbling block was clicking the keyboard to change the built in chord, more user error than anything, realised later I could unclick a note to set a new one.

Other than that I did have the issue where lower notes were more prominent than higher and was tricky to dial out as you say.
Yeah, I suppose I could add some hint somewhere for this. Do you end up using it more in that mode than MIDI mode?

Quote:
Would it be possible to draw or otherwise create your own partial presets?
Currently, no. It is on my radar, but I've yet to come up with a good UI for it. While the current visualization of the partials looks nice, it's not the most practical for tweaking. I have some ideas, but need a solid chunk of time to implement them.

If you feel comfy coding, there is an actual "custom" model that you can access by ctrl/cmd clicking the logo. That model is defined in:
Code:
partial dir/partials_dependencies/saike_modal_custom.jsfx-inc
Note that it will get overwritten every time you update though.

Quote:
I will have to check out those filters. The demos sound good
Feel free to steal 'em.

Quote:
Loving the new filters and oscillators!
Awesome

And as usual, a small update from my side.

Changelog
Partials: Add impulse modes.
I added a mode to use internally generated impulses as a driving sound for Partials. Hopefully this will enable more ease of use of using this thing as an instrument. Note that this also required some rework. The [MIDI] button is gone, and has been replaced by a big mode selector button.

Partials: Fixed a bug that could lead to loud noises in very low registers.
This was caused by a bug that allowed the STFT algorithm to overrun its partial buffer for lower registers.

Partials: Better gain setting
Partials now normalizes the gain with respect to the gain of the fundamental. This allows for more uniform play. Note that the old mode is still available by clicking a little toggle next to the play mode.

Partials: Shows MIDI activity
Partials now shows that MIDI is coming in by blinking the play button (see GIF above).

Partials: Show number of partials needed in time domain mode
Using an insufficient number of partials in time domain mode can lead to sound quality degradation. Partials will now show the number of partials used in a UI hint on the partial selection widget (which was moved to the knob that selects the partial count). This should help you make more informed decisions on how many partials to use.

There are some more things in the works for Partials, but they will still require some more time in the oven.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #1069
todd_r

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose I could add some hint somewhere for this. Do you end up using it more in that mode than MIDI mode?
Nah that was just on my initial play about really I use midi mostly

Quote:
If you feel comfy coding, there is an actual "custom" model that you can access by
Hm it's been a long time but I'll have a look!

Do you think you'll add the new filters to FM Filter 2?

Also, any chance it would be possible to move through the filter options with the arrow keys? Now there's quite a few it wold make auditioning quicker
Old 09-26-2022, 02:36 PM   #1070
sai'ke

Quote:
Hm it's been a long time but I'll have a look!
It's either that, or wait a bit. I am working on a partial editor, but it's gonna take a few more days in the oven before I can have a demo out. Right now it's too finicky for general use.

Quote:
Do you think you'll add the new filters to FM Filter 2?
I should. I will put it on my to-do list.

Quote:
Also, any chance it would be possible to move through the filter options with the arrow keys? Now there's quite a few it wold make auditioning quicker
Good idea! I need to think a little bit about this. I didn't design Yutani with focus handling in mind unfortunately. If it's really only the filters that need keyboard control though, it might be pretty doable. There's a few annoying things that will likely make the code horrible though (the filters not being in the order they are in in the UI internally for instance). I'll think about it. If I think of a good way to get it done, I'll add it.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:59 PM   #1071
chuckwood

Sai'ke, your work is absolutely incredible. I can't believe what you've done with Partials, the new impulse feature is fantastic.

I think what I'm also enjoying is how your newer plugins seem to be becoming more CPU efficient as well.

Well clearly you're not busy enough already and need more things to think about so how about a drum synth or a multi-modulation effect?

Big thanks and massive respect to you.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:59 AM   #1072
Andreya

Great job on the new Partials modes Saike! This thing keeps getting better and better.

The volume compensation is working pretty well in most modes too. There are still some scenarios where it doesn't fully keep up. As of now I think an output volume control would be a good addition. How do you feel about that?
Old 09-28-2022, 04:28 AM   #1073
EvilDragon

Quote:
No sleep and a very supportive wife
You even have a WIFE?!

Old 09-28-2022, 04:47 AM   #1074
EvilDragon

(As a note, I would really like to see the Partials model files being installed elsewhere, not in the JSFX folder, since as I mentioned before they are shown in the JSFX list and as a consequence makes columns needlessly wider then)

Thanks for everything you do, you rock!
Old 09-28-2022, 11:32 AM   #1075
foxAsteria

Quote:
a very supportive wife
Yea can we get one of those in ReaPack plz?
Old 09-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #1076
todd_r

Quote:
Yea can we get one of those in ReaPack plz?
I had to uninstall mine after it nearly fried my CPU
Old 10-02-2022, 06:13 AM   #1077
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwood View Post
Well clearly you're not busy enough already and need more things to think about so how about a drum synth or a multi-modulation effect?
I actually tried my hand at a drum synth. I never finished it though. The kickdrum and one of the snare layers in this were made with it. Maybe once I catch up with my backlog, I'll try my hand at it again.

Quote:
The volume compensation is working pretty well in most modes too. There are still some scenarios where it doesn't fully keep up. As of now I think an output volume control would be a good addition. How do you feel about that?
I agree it needs a volume control. Especially if you work in time domain mode and adjust the stiffness or feedback, the achieved gain can be unpredictable (and I have no idea how to compensate for this without adding unintended dynamic effects). The difficulty is finding room in the UI to add it.

Quote:
(As a note, I would really like to see the Partials model files being installed elsewhere, not in the JSFX folder, since as I mentioned before they are shown in the JSFX list and as a consequence makes columns needlessly wider then)
You are absolutely right about this. I think certain extensions also get ignored when building that list. I renamed them to .bin now which seems to remove them from the list at least on my windows box. If someone could verify that it does the same on mac and linux I'd be much obliged.

Changelog
- Partials: Adds model which allows interpolating between two different partial spectra (based on the macro control settings).
- Partials: Adds model which allows using a single custom partial spectrum (macro controls then behave the way they do with the older models).
- Partials: Adds indicator for how many partials are in use in time domain mode.
- Partials: Rename .ske files to .bin files to prevent them being picked up by the plugin list.
- FM-Filter2 : Added new filters that were recently added to Yutani to FM Filter 2.

Partials had a big update, including two new models. The UI/UX is a little bit involved, so I will probably have to do a tutorial about them in the future. The very short of it is, for the two spectrum model, left mouse button draws the first spectrum, right mouse button draws the second spectrum and the macro controls control an interpolation factor. Which macro control is bound to which spectrum can be seen because those buttons get hightlighted when you hover over the spectrum in question. CTRL and SHIFT allow you to make precision adjustments and ALT allows you to shift the whole spectrum vertically all at once. If you forget, hover over any of the spectra and you'll see a long form description of the controls.

Note: Still treat the new models as alpha. While I have tested them and played with them, there are probably still some bugs and UX issues lurking.

Here you see the UI in action:

Example of what it sounds like (only partials and abyss verb).

Edit: Just for the record, I have not forgotten about the other FRs. Time is the enemy though

Last edited by sai'ke; 10-02-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #1078
Vagelis

Amazing work! It was in my mind to request an option to draw the vol of the partials but you did it, thanks a lot!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:24 PM   #1079
glitched

I'm so happy I found ReaPack, JSFX, and your plugins!
It's like Christmas, everyday.

Two bugs (I'm not sure if they've been reported):
Partials doesn't allow parameter modulation of the model type via Reaper's "parameter modulation" function. Rather, the range is limited to the first two models. The plugin responds to parameter changes in the track envelope, though.

Phase Mangler's nodes only change in in the positive direction. When attempting to automate the parameters, values below the yellow line are not possible.

I notice that the plugin's internal scale goes from -0.5 to +0.5, but Reaper goes from 0 to 1.0.
glitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:29 PM   #1080
chuckwood

Quote:
I actually tried my hand at a drum synth. I never finished it though. The kickdrum and one of the snare layers in this were made with it. Maybe once I catch up with my backlog, I'll try my hand at it again.
Awesome, the drums sound great on that! I would love a JSFX drum synth or drum modules so looking forward to that day.

And the latest Partials updates are great, thanks again.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote