Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
Kaitain
Human being with feelings

Default OSC over USB

Hello there

I'm building a MIDI controller and now I'd like to make it able o sen OSC messages too.

I'm close to do this properly now, but my problem is that Reaper expects an IP addres and a port to recognize these messages.

In another thread I was told to use OSCBot for that, but honestly I have no idea where to start. Is this the right way to proceed? Has anyone tried to do something similar before?

Thanks for the help
Kaitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #2
goldenarpharazon

OSCII-bot could be a useful means of converting Midi to OSC outside of your "Midi controller" and sending it on to Reaper without being dependant on complexity and features needed in the controller.

Otherwise, to do OSC, the hardware controller and its embedded software needs have all of
- a suitable interface hardware and transport mechanism for OSC
- the means of running (executing) a suitable OSC protocol library (to make the IP addressing and UDP implementation expected by Reaper easy)
and
- a means of editing and configuring the OSC strings to be suitable for Reaper or some other OSC target

This thread might be helpful https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181561
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
mschnell

I happily use OSCII-Bot to communicate with a Midi Control surface (i.e. via Reaper, but directly would work just as well) and forward the messages to and fro via OSCII-Bot with a Rack Mixer.

To allow for this, the newer versions of OSCII-Bot (and AFAIK, also Reaper) feature a "dialogue" mode that allows for bidirectional communication by answering to a device without knowing it's IP address. -> https://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/oscii-bot-doc.html: "Note: in OSCII-bot v0.4+, you can send OSC messages to an OSC input device, which will send to the IP/port of the last message received. "

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-06-2018 at 04:06 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Kaitain

Thank you for your answers

goldenarpharazon, you're right, I think that it would be easier to maintain the MIDI format in my controller, and let OSCii-bot to do the OSC work.

So far I've downloaded/installed OSCii-bot and I've modified the example script. Now I can get the messages sent by my MIDI controller to be received by the OSC-bot. What still didn't get to send the messages to Reaper.

mschnell, you mentioned that "the newer versions of OSCII-Bot (and AFAIK, also Reaper) feature a "dialogue" mode that allows for bidirectional communication by answering to a device without knowing it's IP address." This looks exactly what I need, but how to get this? In the Reaper OSC setup window, it expects a device IP/port...

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
mschnell

Sorry bit I never tried the OSC interface of Reaper, so I don't know .

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Thank you for your answers

goldenarpharazon, you're right, I think that it would be easier to maintain the MIDI format in my controller, and let OSCii-bot to do the OSC work.

So far I've downloaded/installed OSCii-bot and I've modified the example script. Now I can get the messages sent by my MIDI controller to be received by the OSC-bot. What still didn't get to send the messages to Reaper.
Kaitain, try this advice from "Banned" on the setup needed. https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=11
This should get OSC messages going in both directions

Once you see traffic in the OSCII-bot or Reaper monitor window then this will help https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/osc/osc.php along with reading all the comments in the .ReaperOSC file
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
Kaitain

Ey, this looks like a VERY USEFUL info. Thank you!