Old 11-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Midi <-> OSC

Hi experts,

I have done a rather complex set of JSFX plugins to control the sound "patches" loaded in Reaper for live playing by a motor-fader enabled controller board ("XTouch Compact"). Hence the JSFX system does bidirectional communication with the controller via Midi. Now I'd like to add communication with a mixer device ("XR 18") coupled via OSC (over WiFi) to display and modify the mixer settings on the controller board.

Right now, I plan to do a Python program, as same needs to be able to find the mixer via OSC and register for being sent any values modified by other instances also attached to same. A Friend of mine already did and successfully uses such a Python program, communicating with the XR18 via OSC and with some hardware device via Midi.

I wonder if it might be viable to use OSCIIbot with some EEL programming instead (as I am rather experienced with EEL but not with Python yet).

Did anybody already successfully use OSCIIbot and can provide some comments ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

I've used OSCII-bot for osc / midi stuff, what'cha need?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
mschnell

Thanks for answering, Justin !

There is a discussion I initiated in the OSCIIbot subforum.

For getting started I'd like do display part of the current mixer state.

So I need to "attach" to a mixer (XR18) via OSC via WIFI.

For this I of course need to provide the IP-Address and the port. I understand this is done in the EEL code. OK for now, but in the end I would like to read it from a config file. (I know that OSCIIbit can read files, and I suppose I'll be able to make use of the content.)

After that we need to send "subscribe"/"register" messages to the mixer in regular time intervals to have it send us any values of a set of parameters on the spot and/or at any time they are changed by other instances.

I understand this is an OSC standard method and supposedly also done when OSCIIbots connects to Reaper via OSC (wich AFAI understand is the way OSCIIbot is mostly used).

Unfortunately I failed to find any examples of such OSCIIbot ELL program code.

Thanks again,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-11-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
mschnell

Justin,

I was able to set up an OSCIIbot script correctly (details see thread in the OSCIIbot forum).

Code:
@input XT_M_IN MIDI "loopMIDI Port"	//in quotation marks-name of midi port used in Windows
@input XR18in OSC "*:10024" 
@output XR18out OSC "192.168.1.1:10024"
I see:
Code:
C:\Users\mschnell\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot\test1.txt
	Listening on '*:10024'
	2 inputs, 1 outputs

Total: 1 scripts, 2 inputs, 1 outputs

Using Wiresshark I found that the XR18 responds correctly to (e.g.) a "status" command.

But a printf() in the @oscmsg section in the script does not output any text.

what am I doing wrong ?

-Michael
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 AM   #5
mschnell

As I see in WireShark, in fact (IMHO rather decently), the OSC device answers to an OSCIIbot message by an UDP/OSC block directed to the port number given as a sender in the received block.

If in OSCIIbot the OSC input and output devices are independent (as it seems from EEL code), how can the @output as a sender port address provide the port number the @input is initiated to listen on ?

Seemingly the sender port number is defined (by Windows?) as some random number when @output is called. Using Wireshark, I can see an new number with any start of OSCIIbot.

I checked that it's not possible to use an @input device do send to:

@input XR18out OSC "192.168.1.1:10024" //trying to define the target address here
results in
"Error listening for '192.168.1.1:10024'"
and
oscsend(): output device 0.000000 invalid

OTOH

@output XR18out OSC "192.168.1.1:10024"
@input XR18out OSC "*:10024"

results in

Warning: device name 'XR18out' already in use, skipping @input line

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-12-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Ah yeah, I don't think we ever added bidirectional OSC support for this scenario, let me see if I can do that now.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

http://www-dev.cockos.com/oscii-bot/

Try this version I just made, 0.4. In this, you can receive OSC messages back from the device that you sent to (also, you can send messages on OSC receives, which go to the last address that sent to you).
Old 11-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
mschnell

WOW !!!
That was fast !!
Just 12 hours after I found that the previous version would not work for me !

I'll test ASAP.

Thanks a lot,
-Michael
Old 11-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
you can receive OSC messages back from the device that you sent to
Yahoo ! I get a decent message back from the XR18.

Now I suppose I can easily implement the dialogue.

-Michael
Old 11-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
mschnell

I did some tests.

I can send and receive messages like "/status" to/from the XR18.

I can send the message "/xremotenfb" to the XR18 and then OSCIIbot receives lots of messages when I attach to the XR18 with the Editor provided by Behringer and move a fader.

The message received in oscstr is e.g. "/rtn/aux/mix/06/level" and with oscparm(0,'f') I can get a value between 0.0 and 1.0 which seems perfectly correct !

Thanks again !!!!
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-12-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
Gass n Klang

I'm not into programming at all. But does that mean bi-directional OSC communication is working from now on?
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
I'm not into programming at all. But does that mean bi-directional OSC communication is working from now on?
It’ll be in reaper soon, too
Old 11-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #13
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Hi, Justin. Could you, please, make version 0.5 with SYSEX support?

And, maybe, Lua, instead of EEL2?

Last edited by fundorin; 11-13-2017 at 04:04 AM.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #14
Gass n Klang

Quote:
omg. Been waiting so long for that!
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Hi, Justin. Could you, please, make version 0.5 with SYSEX support?

And, maybe, Lua, instead of EEL2?
Hmm sending or receiving SysEx more important to you? Sending is very easy, receiving more of a pain...
Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #16
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Hmm sending or receiving SysEx more important to you? Sending is very easy, receiving more of a pain...
It's both, kinda.

I need middleware (oscii-bot) to send SYSEX to the controller, so it'll display text on built-in LCD.

But what's also important is that the controller itself sends\receives sysex commands during startup and while changing modes, so the host would know about the current state of the controller and the controller knows that connection with the host isn't broken. Otherwise it will eventually show "Automap is OFFLINE" on the LCD.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Give 0.5 a try, http://www-dev.cockos.com/oscii-bot/

Untested, but it might work!

The docs are updated, but to summarize:

Receiving SysEx: @midimsg, msg1/msg2/msg3 will be 0, oscstr will be set to the SysEx data (oscstr will be -1 if it's not a sysex)

Sending SysEx: use midisend_str(device,#sysexdata_as_string);

String reference: https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/strings...s_string_funcs useful functions for accessing binary strings include str_getchar() and str_setchar().

There's no point in doing Lua support, IMO, one easily could port it, but with great tedium.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #18
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Give 0.5 a try, http://www-dev.cockos.com/oscii-bot/

Untested, but it might work!
I kinda forgot how to write scripts for oscii-bot, but, thanks a lot! Will try to construct something in a couple of days. 🤠

P.S. The beauty of Lua is in simplicity. I kinda broke my head trying to count memory cells to allocate data in EEL2.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I kinda forgot how to write scripts for oscii-bot, but, thanks a lot! Will try to construct something in a couple of days. 🤠

P.S. The beauty of Lua is in simplicity. I kinda broke my head trying to count memory cells to allocate data in EEL2.
You can use strings, which might make a lot of things easier...
Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
mschnell

That is great !

Now I hope that a library of user OSCIIbot scripts will emerge supporting e.g. lots of controller boards.

Maybe the title of the JSFX-/REA- script forum should be modified to have OSCIIbot scripts issues be discussed there, too ...

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-13-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 AM   #21
fundorin
Banned

-del-
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #22
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
You can use strings, which might make a lot of things easier...
I'm not sure that I understood correctly. For example, I need to store track names/plugin names/parameters, so that when I'm switching between different modes of the controller, the names to display on LCD would be taken out from memory/script and not from Reaper itself, via "refresh all consoles" action.

Do you suggest using strings instead of arrays or memsets for this task?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #23
goldenarpharazon

Fundorin,

OSCII-bot gives 1024 "string slots" and named string variables that can be used more flexibly for storage for the LCD display's contents than [] style arrays & memory offsets

See the "strings" section of
http://www-dev.cockos.com/oscii-bot/oscii-bot-doc.html
and this (jsfx) thread on same topic
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=132630

There's probably some JSFX EEL2 code examples to be found too using strings like this.

Good luck with Sysex!
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #24
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
Fundorin,

OSCII-bot gives 1024 "string slots" and named string variables that can be used more flexibly for storage for the LCD display's contents than [] style arrays & memory offsets
I still don't get it, tbt. Let's take an average project. It would have around 30 tracks. At least 5 FXs on each track. At least 16 parameters for each FX. In real life, it'll be around 100 parameters per FX. That's already 2400 strings. Plus track names, track volume/pan/arm/solo/mute values and so on.
In normal languages, it's possible to use multi-dimensional arrays (or tables, in Lua's case). So, there would be no problem to store all that info from Reaper and update it, when needed, using arrays.

Please, tell me the proper way to use strings for that kind of task.
As I said before, the alternative would be refreshing the console each time when the mode is switched, which can happen quite often.
For example, the console is in mixer mode and I want to temporarily switch it into FX mode to change compressor's ratio on currently selected track.
I imagine pressing and holding FX button on the console, turning the first encoder, is mapped to ratio, then just release FX button and I'm back in mixer mode.
I need to see FX parameters on LCD to know which encoder should be turned. From my previous experience, updating the whole console with the corresponding action can take up to one second with default .reaperOSC file and most of this data would be irrelevant for the described task.
Storing that data in script seems like a reasonable alternative and usually strings aren't the best way of storing multiple types data.

Quote:
There's probably some JSFX EEL2 code examples to be found too using strings like this.
Couldn't find any. Or do you mean like ReaScript stuff and not oscii-bot scripts?

Quote:
Good luck with Sysex!
Thanks. I hope oscii-bot won't crash, like it celphor's fork did!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #25
mschnell

Quote:
OSCII-bot gives 1024 "string slots" and named string variables
I just was thinking about how I can read the lines of a file into an array of strings.

I'll give that a try .

-Michael
Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #26
mschnell

Quote:
That's already 2400 strings.
I suppose it's not handy (and of course not possible) to store all theses strings in string slots.

I think you should construct the string to be sent on the fly whenever it is to be sent from just some simple (partial) strings, some mall arrays of strings, and numbers by using sprintf().

OTOH, it even should be possible to on the fly read a string from line number n in a file, after calculating n in the program from the multiple "dimensions" of the task definition.

Obviously mode switching of such a console is a very sensible application for the new OSCIIbot. Unfortunately the Controller I use (XTouch compact) does not feature any text display BTW.: does anybody know a Midi "controller board" that provides nothing but a text display ? Id like to add such to my setup.

Any single manual action (like pressing the FX button) should be "slow" enough to allow for doing file operations on the fly.

(I understand the basic language constructs - like the handling of strings - is identical with ReaScript(ELL), JSFX, and OSCIIbot.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-15-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 AM   #27
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
I could be wrong but I'd say if you need more than a couple of string slots to merely pass values from one controller to another you are doing something wrong.
There's a nuance with an LCD. It can display limited amount of data.
The other thing is that you can't ask Reaper to send you specific data. It's either info about currently selected track/fx or all the info that is defined in the .reaperOSC file.
The first option isn't enough, while the second one is too much.

You know, LCD can show you two rows of text/data. For example, info about 8 pots, or 8 button, or 8 faders. User can switch between displayed info by pressing dedicated row buttons or touching the needed type of the controller to show the corresponding data.

And that type of data should be received from Reaper and stored somewhere, while it's not yet needed, but could be called anytime.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #28
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Why would the script need to retain these string values?
After a new status value is sent to the device it already is "stored" in the device.
In which device, exactly? oscii-bot is working "on-fly". It takes incoming data, converts it, according to the rules from script, and sends the data out.
The midi controller can only react to the incoming data momentarily. It doesn't "store" anything.

Let's take one FX and it's 64 parameters. What I want is to be able to scroll through their names and values by 8 parameters at the time.
When FX is selected in Reaper, Reaper would send all 64 parameters names and values at once. The script will take first 8 and display them at the LCD.
The remaining 56 parameters won't be processed or stored.

Then, user presses "page down" button to see parameters 9-16. Where do you think they would be received from?

Quote:
There is no need to pass the value from the script to the device all the time (would cause way too much traffic anyway), only when the value changes. And this can be done in the script for one value at a time.
Once again, where are you going to take that data from? Reaper can't send the specific data by request. It's either all data at once or Reaper decides by itself, what should be sent to the controller.

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but that's not true. You can ask Reaper to send you data about a group of tracks/FX/FX-parameters (specified by the track/FX/parameter bank size) in the .reaperOSC file.
In your case track bank size would be 8. You can then browse through those banks to access tracks/FX/parameters.
You'll get all track's names, pan/volume/fx names/ fx parameters/ fx values/ and that's a lot of data to receive just for changing decay or ratio level of a single FX in a second. This is what I'm talking about. I'd prefer having all that data in arrays inside oscii-bot's memory so that Reaper won't flood the channel.

Quote:
You can't specify constant/permanent tracks/FX/parameters though, like what you'd do when you MIDI learn a parameter. Maybe that's what you meant?
Exactly. In a situation with compressor, that was described earlier, one needs to switch controller into different mode for a half of the second to adjust single parameter and than switch back to the mixer mode. That's "refresh all consoles" action, times two.

What I need is to be able to store all the incoming OSC messages and update that info, when needed.

P.S. I feel like I'm repeating myself again and again.

This is how memsets are used for the same purpose in MIDIMIX script and, in my opinion, it's one ugly workaround in absence of arrays in EEL2.
https://i.imgur.com/V9Ixuk7.png
You need to allocate available memory in order to store the needed data in it. You can't just tell oscii-bot to store something. One should specify the needed size of the memory beforehand and base it on the previous allocations. No mistakes are allowed.

You can see how the author uses previously reserved space to assign the new one for new variables.

Code:
fader_feedback_interrupt_timer = previousValue2+device_faders;
memset(fader_feedback_interrupt_timer, time, device_faders);

track_volume = fader_feedback_interrupt_timer+device_faders;
memset(track_volume, -1, track_bank_size);

Last edited by fundorin; 11-15-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #29
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
It does store its temporary state no? To make it simple: If your device receives value 77 it will stay at value 77 as long as another value is incoming. That means it is temporarily stored.
That's it. In my example, the controller have parameters 1-8 stored/displayed on the LCD. But there's no way to store 9-56 values in midi controller.

Quote:
Wrong. It will only send values of parameters the amount that you specified in the .ReaperOsc file (i.e DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT and DEVICE_FX_INST_PARAM_COUNT). And it also does not send them at once, it sends them one at a time (on lower levels probably as a package). Thats why you can process them in Osciibot one at a time.
Do you understand the meaning of this string? It's not a range. You can't define a range of parameters, like 9-16. It'll always be started from 1.

Quote:
I guess from Reaper itself which you will need to inform? More precisely: you will need to convert the message sent from the "page down" button of your device to a message Reaper understands to switch the bank. That conversion can be done in Osciibot.
When the bank is switched you will receive data of this (and only this) bank from Reaper.
This might be true for banks. I didn't had a chance to check it, since sysex commands weren't available before. There's no point in banks to get to the desired track/parameter, if you know how to use wildcards in variables.

Quote:
You won't get that form all tracks, only from a bank of tracks, which size you specified in .ReaperOSC. And only the type of data you want Reaper to send.
It's still big chuck of data for 8 tracks. Check in the monitor. Once again, there's no command to request that data. I think, the workaround would be to deselect already selected track/tracks and then select again to get those parameters from Reaper.

Code:
# Note: FX parameter feedback will only be sent for the track that is currently
# selected in the device. If messages exist that can target FX on other tracks,
# feedback will be sent whenever the parameter values change. This can be a lot of
# data, so only include those messages if you want the feedback.
That's it. You may want to change parameters on the track that isn't currently selected. But you can't get it's values, until the track is selected. This means using "deselect currently selected tracks/select new track/adjust parameter on the new track/restore previous selection" trick, which I don't admire. There would also be a flickering effect on the track panel during that.
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Please take another look at the Default.ReaperOSC for fundamentals. It's a bit steep to understand it on the first read (myself needed to read it multiple times) but it really helps.
I appreciate that you're trying to help with workarounds, but that's not the point. I've checked and edited .reaperosc files many times. Using them still means asking Reaper again for the same info that could be already stored in oscii-bot and it can happen quite often, slowing the whole process.
Here's my list of reaperosc files, to assure you that I'm aware of it's capabilities - https://i.imgur.com/kaq2Z0a.png

Quote:
I remember also being helpful to understand what is going on (what is coming in to Osciibot) was a simple monitor script.
E.g. Banned's logger:
Of cause, I'm using two functions in my script to log all midi and osc data in oscii-bot, though the osc part doesn't want to work, yet. It's been a while since I wrote those oscii-bot scripts.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #30
goldenarpharazon

Fundorin - more encouragement and assorted suggestions to add to Veto's

Comment out as much as possible in the .ReaperOSC file to minimise OSC feedback from Reaper on items the control surface does not need to follow. A lot of the feedback doesn't matter anyway so don't worry about it (except it makes items of interest difficult to pick out in a console window). Just match the parts that matter and do something in the control surface only with those parts.

Consider carefully how much "state" will be represented in the device hardware, how much in the OSC control surface (OSCII-bot code) and how much in Reaper and design accordingly. The less state in the control surface the easier the code will be regardless of the programming language and its quirks because the states will get out of step with a human in the loop.....

Where will the state or configuration be stored (persist) and restored when the device hardware or Reaper is switched off and back on again? This is a key design decision.

One can use memory as pseudo-arrays as your .png screenshot already does. Provided one keeps track of the sizes (i.e the memory offsets) of each item at declaration time and keep (especially write) access within bounds things will work just fine, and every pseudo-array has a name so the code reads OK.
This thread might help a bit too
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ighlight=array
with suggestions from Darkstar and others

Note that all memset does is set the memory to a value which can be useful only when the programmer already knows that the space has been earmarked.

One can instead use a stack to store things in memory too if that data structure fits.

One could even use the file system to persist items from memory too: this is how databases work but it's Do It Yourself and probably overkill in the EEL2 / Novation world.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #31
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
One can use memory as pseudo-arrays as your .png screenshot already does.
That was my iinitial question to Justin, where he answered that strings could be used instead of memsets. I was interested of how to use strings as arrays.
In fact, it might be possible to use strings as a substitute for arrays, dividing useful data in segments with some special symbol or symbols combination, like "Track 1 | Bass | Track 3 | Kick" for string with track names and than parsing that string for the required data.
Since strings could be as long as 16kb in length, I think I might implement this method, but using some unique symbols combination, like "d_i_v_i_d_e_r" to separate data in strings.

Quote:
Note that all memset does is set the memory to a value which can be useful only when the programmer already knows that the space has been earmarked.
I understand the concept of memset, but find in not friendly and a reason for some future unpredictable errors.

Quote:
One could even use the file system to persist items from memory too: this is how databases work but it's Do It Yourself and probably overkill in the EEL2 / Novation world.
I also thought about using external files for storing the data, as well as for plugin maps, but I think that it would be even slower than "refreshing all consoles" action and not healthy for HDD.

My current snag is to find a way to store and update data that was already received from Reaper, related to unselected tracks/plugins.

Last edited by fundorin; 11-15-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar mistakes, as usual
Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #32
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
That command would be the "change bank" command. If you change to another bank, data of tracks (or FX paramters) of this new bank are sent from Reaper. The amount of data (what is being sent) also can be specified like I mentioned.
Can you select a particular bank of FX, without continuously scrolling through all of them, one by one?
Remember that each bank increment/decrement would make Reaper to send all info about the banks that you're currently scrolling through.

Quote:
Maybe Justin meant this approach (taken from the official JSFX docs)
Maybe. I don't quite understand this approach. Need to read more about it.

Quote:
check out Banneds script
I took my functions directly from that script by Banned. The thing is that they worked for me a couple of years before, but osc part doesn't work for now.
Still need time to figure out, why it isn't working.
https://i.imgur.com/SyEFY7Y.png

Speaking about Banned. He didn't show up at the forum for two years. A year ago I was googling him because of that and found out his real name, his hometown and FB profile. I was afraid that he might've died. TBH, I still think that he's dead. 😐
Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #33
fundorin
Banned

Thanks for the script. I have no issues with controlling Reaper from the console. What I'm interested in is feedback, so that the info will be updated properly for both LCD and LED buttons.

I think like I need to explain a bit further my concept of mode for the console.
Unlike banks, where the same set of controls could be used to control, let's say volume, modes will allow to use the same set for different tasks, like, in mixer mode 8 faders are for controlling track's volume in banks of 8.
In, let's say, "second mixer" mode, the same faders would control sends for tracks and in "third mixer) mode they would control receives.
Do you understand the concept, Veto?

So, when switching between those modes with dedicated buttons, LCD should display corresponding info about the faders. Let's say, the amount of volume in first mode, amount of send in second mode and amount of receive in the third one. For all tracks, divided by the set of 8. Get it? Good.

Now, I had no issues with "refresh all surfaces" action, while switching between those mode, while using celphor's version of oscii-bot 0.3. That one second that's needed to update info from Reaper was fine for me.

But, imagine, you are in second mode and track which have both sends and receives is selected. You're adjusting all its sends and now you need to adjust its receive. It may not be a typical situation, but, just imagine.

So, instead of permanently switching to "Third mixer" mode to get access for receives, you just hold the corresponding button and move first fader, which is now controlling receives, instead of sends. Then, you release the button and continue working with sends. That's the task.
The thing is that when the mode is temporarily switched, one needs to see the amount of current receive at the LCD. One needs to wait for a whole second while Reaper refreshed the surface and a little bit more, while the surface itself updates the info on LCD.

So, it's all about feedback and not about control or banks or anything else.
Most of the info that's sent by Reaper stays the same, and even if it changes, Reaper will send just this info to oscii-bot.

I've tried that strings method but yet couldn't get the behaviour.
All I could achieve is that the track names were added (concatenated) to the string, alternating with my divider. i couldn't make script to rewrite the names inside the string, yet. Will investigate further tomorrow.

Now, about your example: I don't need to store the same type of data in different strings. This way, 1024 strings can come to an end very quickly.
I need multi-dimensional arrays with readable names, tbt.

P.S. You said that you've met banned in Amsterdam. Do you know his real name? Cause I forgot it and can't remember how I found him. Probably, he had the same nickname at some game account.

Last edited by fundorin; 11-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #34
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Sending SysEx: use midisend_str(device,#sysexdata_as_string);
This is the line that I've used:
Code:
@input midi_in MIDI "MIDIIN3 (SL MkII)"
@output midi_out MIDI "MIDIOUT3 (SL MkII)"

@init

@timer

@oscmsg

@midimsg 

msg1 == 0xbf ? (    
      msg2 == 40 && msg3 == 0 ? midisend_str(midi_out,"F000202903031200020002020401090104427574746F6E20320001090304202020310001120104427574746F6E203300011203042020204F4E00F7");
);
In theory, it should show up the following info on the LCD. In practice, some random LED buttons just lighten up on the controller.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #35
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
// slot 1: Hello
// slot 2: Spam
// slot 3: Eggs
// slot 4: Hello
// slot 5: Spam
All those receives/sends were just for an example. In real life, there would be constant switching from mixer mode to user mode for creating new tracks, deleting tracks, adding fxs from templates, undo/redo, region creating/browsing and so on. All kinds of info should be stored in reaper.
Mixer mode should store arm states, pan, volume, solo, mute by itself, so that any of those states could be displayed on the LCD.
Let's leave it for the moment. For now, I have issues with the main function - successfully sending sysex data to the controller. I need @Justin to tell me if I'm doing something wrong or maybe it's oscii-bot's fault and not mine.

Those slots in your example aren't constant, so I probably won't use that method to store data. I prefer having a string with understandable name, like reaperTrackNames, that contains names of all tracks.

Could you, please, provide me with an example of how to make this string:
"oh|hello|world" into this "oh|goodbye|world"?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #36
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
For now, I have issues with the main function - successfully sending sysex data to the controller. I need @Justin to tell me if I'm doing something wrong or maybe it's oscii-bot's fault and not mine.
Suggest no need to ask Justin (yet). Use MidiOX or a similar midi monitor first to see what's going out to the Novation and even simulate some replies? This will help to see what is happening in Midi and whether the unexpected behaviour is OSCII-bot V0.5, your code, or possibly just to find and reverse engineer errors or differences between the Novation controller and its paper specification. Good luck....
Old 11-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #37
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Suggest no need to ask Justin (yet). Use MidiOX or a similar midi monitor first to see what's going out to the Novation and even simulate some replies? This will help to see what is happening in Midi and whether the unexpected behaviour is OSCII-bot V0.5, your code, or possibly just to find and reverse engineer errors or differences between the Novation controller and its paper specification. Good luck....
I've tried Midi-OX a couple hours ago. Both with in/out of the controller and loopBe ports.
It only showed real SYSEX from the controller (switching from Automap mode and back), while sysex from oscii-bot wasn't listed in the monitor.
I've also printed that string into log of oscii-bot. Log showed the string as it should, but that's it.
I've tried sending the same sysex message many times directly from midi-ox/view/sysex and it worked fine.

All the above is with midi-ox.

The following is when the same command is sent from oscii-bot (sorry for big size):

The code that should clear the LCD. 02 is LCD commands, 02 04 clears LCD. Everything before it is just a universal header for this controller. It lights up some of the transport and other buttons, instead. Depending on the sysex code, more or less buttons will light up:
Code:
msg1 == 0xbf ? (    
      msg2 == 41 && msg3 > 0x00 ? midisend_str(midi_out, "F0 00 20 29 03 03 12 00 02 00 02 02 04 F7");
);
Old 11-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #38
goldenarpharazon

Cover the debugging incrementally:-
1. Put a printf statement in (that shows the code block with midisend_str() is reached)
2. Put in midisend() in addition (that shows the code, midi channel and Midi-OX working together as expected for 3 byte midi output)
Then
3. Puzzle at the new midisend_str(). But at least the OSCII-bot process hasn't crashed like Celphor
Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #39
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Code:
midisend_str(midi_out,"F000202903031200020002020401090104427574746F6E20320001090304202020310001120104427574746F6E203300011203042020204F4E00F7");
Try midisend_str(midi_out, "\xF0\x00\x20...
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #40
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Try midisend_str(midi_out, "\xF0\x00\x20...
Nope. No changes on the LCD. At least, random LEDs stopped to light up.
Sending the same sysex via midi-ox still working.
Quote:
1. Put a printf statement in (that shows the code block with midisend_str() is reached)
I moved the string to the variable for now, to be able to print it. This symbol is printed when pressing the button:

Quote:
2. Put in midisend() in addition (that shows the code, midi channel and Midi-OX working together as expected for 3 byte midi output)
Regular midi is working fine at it's shown in midi-ox:
https://i.imgur.com/kLD0rBz.png

Quote:
Puzzle at the new midisend_str(). But at least the OSCII-bot process hasn't crashed like Celphor
That was a tough moment for me. I've written the big part of the script just to realize that it was useless, after all. I was so angry, so I've deleted it all. 🤡

Last edited by fundorin; 11-15-2017 at 07:24 PM.