Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Caroozo
Human being with feelings

Default ReaControl MIDI - need help with rerouting MIDI

Hello,

I have Arturia KeyLab 61 MIDI Controller. I mapped Program Changes communicates on Ch16 on every pad (0-15) to change Reaper presets. I use several plugins, every one on different channel.

1. I'd like to operate on Ch16 the entire time, and when I change preset, I'd like to reroute MIDI from Ch16 input (so I don't need to change it in controller) to original preset's channel. That way, I can program up to 16 presets without the need to change MIDI Channels in controller (I play mainly live). Is it possible?

2. If above is NOT possible, is there any solution? I tried for several hours without success . I know Reaper is powerful DAW with a tons of scripts, but I just don't know how to do it.

I NEED Reaper presets - some of the plugins I use won't respond to PC messages. I still can't use ReaControl MIDI to the fullest - the entire routing gave me a headache - I'm not a noob, but just can't figure it out . Maybe there's a way to solo track when program change? All I need is to program up to 16 presets, change them instantly without the need of looking on notebook screen and just focus on playing music, not dig through menus...

Many thanks for even slightest help!
Caroozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !

Of course in Reaper anything is possible .

There are lots of ways to do sound / patch handling in Reaper. Using multiple Midi channels might or might not make sense. I think limiting the count of possible patches to the 15 Midi remaining channels is not a good idea, you'd better use multiple tracks.

Please read the introductional thread in the "Live" subforum to find more information on patch handling.

Please come back in that forum if you need more help.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Caroozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Welcome to the Reaper forums !

Of course in Reaper anything is possible .

There are lots of ways to do sound / patch handling in Reaper. Using multiple Midi channels might or might not make sense. I think limiting the count of possible patches to the 15 Midi remaining channels is not a good idea, you'd better use multiple tracks.

Please read the introductional thread in the "Live" subforum to find more information on patch handling.

Please come back in that forum if you need more help.

-Michael
I have every plugin on separate channel, the trick is to change them using one (16) channel and when I change preset via Ch16, ReaControl MIDI (or any other plugin/script) reroute notes/pitchband/modwheel/aftertouch only to this preset OR solo it so the rest is muted.

I just mapped pads to PC 00-15 on channel 16, so I could import Reaper presets from all of my VSTi (up to 16) and operate them through Ch16. The problem is to play one virtual instrument at once, directly after changing preset. I just need to know if it's possible and which tools I need...
Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
mschnell

I don't understand what you are up to, especially regarding ReaControlMidi.

You should take a look at SWS "LiveConfigs", which is provided especially for that purpose. Same mutes and unmutes tracks to deactivate and activate the plugins that reside in those tracks. One advantage of this method is that a muted track does not use up any CPU cycles.

LiveConfigs also pushes (Reaper-) presets to any plugin in the just activated track, if you define that in the appropriate config (-"line")

To send Program Change messages to a plugin, there is ReaPack -> "SliderToMidiPS", which on a command (i.e. a preset) by LiveConfigs sends out a Midi Program Change message.

Of course Reaper supports many ways to handle sets of patches, but LiveConfigs works very well in my very complex Live playing setup.

-Michael
Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
Caroozo

One advantage of this method is that a muted track does not use up any CPU cycles.

That's NOT true when it comes to Roland Cloud plugins (at least in my case). They DO use (and use a lot) even when muted. The only way is to switch them off (power button near FX). It's kinda lame for such big company, but Roland soft is not the best... But it HAS the best sound, period. So I'm stuck with it . Is there a way to switch tracks of instead of muting them? That will be life saver for me (my HP 2170p with i5 3427U 8 GB RAM 240GB SSD is just enough for my live needs IF it plays one plugin at once - heck, it even is capable of using less-demanding Keyscape and Omnisphere presets ).
Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroozo View Post
That's NOT true when it comes to Roland Cloud plugins (at least in my case).
There is a (at least one) configuration setting in Reaper how to handle muted tracks regarding "powering" plugins.

-Michael
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
Caroozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
There is a (at least one) configuration setting in Reaper how to handle muted tracks regarding "powering" plugins.

-Michael
Could You help me with finding this one? I was searching high and low for it with no avail. It's not a big problem, but still I'd like to check every available option before making final setup .
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #8
mschnell

ctrl-p
type muted in the find box
you'll see in a red marking: Mute/Solo -> Do not process muted tracks.

-Michael