Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
willsten1
Human being with feelings

Default Help Requested

Hi Folks, I am a brand new user of Reaper. Just paid for an individual license and downloaded it to my MacBook Air (1.4 GHz Intel Core i5).

I have not done anything yet because when I summon the mixer, under "View," it appears on the far right corner of the screen, half visible and half off-screen. Nothing I can think of to do changes this. I would post a screenshot but I don't see that as an option.

Is this a bug? How can I fix it? Any help much appreciated.
willsten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
serr

The default window is maybe half off the screen on a smaller display?

Double clicking the title bar of the window will resize the window to fit the screen. An OSX thing, not Reaper specific. Just use the OSX thing for a screen shot too. (Shift-command-3)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
willsten1

Default No Dice

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. It does enlarge the screen but the mixer is still halfway off-screen. As far as I can tell it can't be dragged or moved.

Last edited by willsten1; 05-15-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
willsten1

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1526440320
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 7.55.41 PM.png (62.7 KB, 213 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Skijumptoes

Your mixer is docked, and the dock is attached to the far right of your screen, depending on how you want the mixer to display, firstly look for the mixer title (It will be a little tab with a [x] next to it) at the bottom of the mixer controls.

If you hold your mouse button down on that title, you can drag the dock to a new location (Left/Right/Top/Bottom etc.) - you will see that Reaper will highlight the areas where it can be docked.

OR right click on it and click 'Dock Mixer in Docker' (Will already be ticked, so you want to untick it) to remove the mixer so that it's got it's own floating window.

With Reaper you can set the dock to one location, and then set any number of items to display in there. Taking an item out of the docker allows you to set it up however you want, move to different screens etc.

Sometimes it's nice to flick between docks and the items within, and that's where customisation is very strong with Reaper. You can setup specific items to dock/undock mixer or hide/show it via the use of icons. So bare that in mind moving forwards, any actions you repeat like that you can save yourself time and put into icons.

It is a little confusing to start with, but the flexibility is both Reaper's strength and stumbling point for new users.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
serr

It looks like you have the mixer "docked" to the side of the arrange window. (The Reaper term "dock". Not to be confused with the OSX dock.)

The default in Reaper is the everything in one window look. This lets you resize the panels between them but not move individual panels. Drag on the partitions to resize just like dragging on columns in a Finder window.

Right-clicking (control-clicking) in the scroll bar area on the window lets you select "remove from dock" so you can have separate windows.

Note: This is either a little fiddly to right-click in the correct spot (the edge or scroll bar area of the main window) or I don't know the perfect spot to try first. I always have to click around a couple times before I finally get that menu that lets you undock the windows after accidentally double-clicking somewhere and inadvertently triggering the "dock windows" command.

OSX things that can mess with you:

The part where you can move a window by dragging in the title bar in OSX. But if the bottom right corner is off screen you can't resize it. The workaround for that is supposed to be double-clicking the title bar. Note that this used to be pressing the green window button but that changed to opening the window in full screen mode a few revisions back in OSX.

You can open an app in "full screen" mode which is more of a "PITA" mode as it just removes the menu bar.

Any of that help?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
solger

In addition to the things mentioned in the posts above, also have a look at the Video section:
solger is offline   Reply With Quote