Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
SickGlytch
Human being with feelings

Default Virtual Keyboard / VST Help - Disable piano sound?

Hey yall

First post, Hope Im in the right section XD

Ive got the virtual midi keyboard set up and it is triggering the vst that I am using perfectly, but when I play my keys it triggers the vst AND piano sound.. obviously I dont want it to be doing this. I get my synth sounding all cool but these piano bangs thrown into it.

How can I get the virtual midi keyboard to stop playing its default sound and only play the sound from the vst its triggering? Thanks in advance!
SickGlytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
timothys_monster

The Virtual MIDI Keyboard actually has got no default sound.. As far as I know it only "creates" MIDI signals and sends them to the VSTi on your track. Which VSTi do you use? Have you connected any other MIDI device to your computer? Be sure to set the input of the track right (MIDI Input -> Virtual MIDI Keyboard)
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
SickGlytch

Hmm.. I gotta disagree. As soon as I open the VMK, it has piano sounds. Even if I havent linked it to anything. Ive tried multiple vst`s and vsti`s, and I get the same result.. virtual keyboard piano samples still play over the vst.

There seems to be no way to turn them off. Its pretty crazy. My input is set to the right channels and all that.

EDIT: I have had great experiences using my Akai MPK mini with reaper, but I am unable to access it right now and need to make do with a virtual input device. Perhaps someone can suggest a virtual keyboard that I can map to the vst`s that functions properly if noone can think of a fix?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
bradleyfilms

You are hearing a piano sound because somewhere you have a General MIDI synth enabled.
If you're on Windows open Reaper's Preferences->MIDI devices and if you have enabled the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, disable it (trust me, it works best when disabled!)
Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
SickGlytch

Excellent. You and timothys monster are absolutely correct. Thank you very much for helpin me to understand this awesome program. Mission accomplished!