Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
en5ca
Human being with feelings

Default ReaBlink: Ableton Link REAPER plug-in extension

ReaBlink

Ableton Link REAPER plug-in extension

Install from ReaPack or download release files and/or source from here.

Highly experimental.

Provides following ReaScript API functions (with some documentation). For most, more detailed documentaion is available at Ableton Link repository include/ableton/Link.hpp file, some with slightly different names.
Code:
Blink_GetBeatAtTime
Blink_GetClockNow
Blink_GetEnabled
Blink_GetMaster
Blink_GetNumPeers
Blink_GetPhaseAtTime
Blink_GetPlaying
Blink_GetPuppet
Blink_GetQuantum
Blink_GetStartStopSyncEnabled
Blink_GetTempo
Blink_GetTimeAtBeat
Blink_GetTimeForPlaying
Blink_GetVersion
Blink_SetBeatAtStartPlayingTimeRequest
Blink_SetBeatAtTimeForce
Blink_SetBeatAtTimeRequest
Blink_SetCaptureTransportCommands
Blink_SetEnabled
Blink_SetMaster
Blink_SetPlaying
Blink_SetPlayingAndBeatAtTimeRequest
Blink_SetPuppet
Blink_SetQuantum
Blink_SetStartStopSyncEnabled
Blink_SetTempo
Blink_SetTempoAtTime
Blink_StartStop
Release files and Github repository include some example/helper Lua scripts.

Master and Puppet modes are my attempts using above methods to provide Ableton Link Test Plan compatible functionality with REAPER. Not sample accurate. Both should also work in REAPER-only Link sessions. Note: ReaBlink does not respond to REAPER transport directly. Use the helper scripts, or write new ones, or use SetCaptureTransportCommands.

Opening ReaBlink_Monitor script should enable somewhat usable OOTB operation for at least testing purposes, as it also enables Puppet mode and some other essential functions. See the script file itself for details. Stability and performance will depend on computer and REAPER configuration; lowering or disabling REAPER media buffering and prebuffering increases responsiveness on capable computers. When running ReaBlink Monitor, use REAPER Transport: Play/stop (ID 40044) and Tempo: Increase/Decrease current project tempo 01 BPM (ID 41129/41130) Actions start/stop transport and change tempo.

If there is only one ReaBlink client in the Link session, setting ReaBlink to run in Master mode (e.g. by modifying ReaBlink Monitor script file) might improve stability and performance. See ReaScript API documentation for details. This might cause undefined behaviour in other Link session clients, but at least Ableton Live runs nicely with it. In case of multiple ReaBlink clients, setting the most poor performing system to Master might help.

Main difference between Master and Puppet modes is that in Puppet mode ReaBlink tries to maintain timeline sync with Link session by adjusting REAPER playrate during playback. In Master mode, ReaBlink tries to modify Link session timeline to match local REAPER host timeline, in practice enforcing other Link session members to sync with REAPER. While looping, large instant or rapid continous tempo changes might throw Puppet mode out of sync. To my understanding, Ableton Link does not support tempo envelopes. In both Master and Puppet modes ReaBlink will listen to Link session for tempo changes, and broadcast local tempo changes for others. Note: Puppet mode needs to be enabled first for ReaBlink client to be promoted/elevated to Master.

Using ReaBlink API functions to programmatically control Link session works good. E.g. creating synced MIDI beatclock/timecode and Link session.

While debugging under Windows, seems to be throwing some network related exception every now and then, which is currently handled pedantically by voiding it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, tested this by leaving it running over night, and it did not cause any problems.

Used mr. cfillion's reascript_vararg.hpp to generate ReaScript API functions, and cross-platform build system, so feel free to support his efforts.

Last edited by en5ca; 12-25-2023 at 12:45 PM.
en5ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Nice! Will add this to my Reaper-docs...

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
_Stevie_

Mind blown
Old 05-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
en5ca

Updated to new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
Nice! Will add this to my Reaper-docs...
I hope it's not too early for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Mind blown
Ok. I hope mind is blown in a positive way. Who knows, indeed this could be an endless source of terrible horror and misery happiness and joy for live sessions.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Definitely in a positive way. I guess no one saw that coming
Old 05-29-2021, 05:34 AM   #6
LugNut

Hi,

Man if this works much sync misery will be eliminated...and if reaper could be made to sync to Link....I'll be in in daw heaven.
Its funny how an iPad app called beat maker 3 can do it...with some of the best real time time stretching there is and reaper can't:-)

Thank you op for your genius!

Wait...I just looked at the gif more and it looks like abelton is controlling reapers tempo?
Ohhhhh boyyyyeeeee!

Also one of the great features of link is that it doesnt nesasarily require all connected devices to start on the bar. Great for live applications.
And of course there is beat seeker.....where I can play ac drums and it syncs to my playing.
There is a God!

Last edited by LugNut; 05-29-2021 at 06:47 AM.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:35 AM   #7
mschnell

Awesome !

Could you do a short feature list ?

e.g.
- Audio transfer
- Midi transfer
- Transport command transfer
- Timing (Beat) synchonization

Thanks
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:54 AM   #8
akademie

Hmmm, does not work here at all
"ReaBlink_Monitor.lua:4: attempt to call a nil value (field 'Blink_GetEnabled')"

What are the requirements, please?
Reaper v6.29+dev0528 (32-bit, clean portable installation) and Windows10 (64-bit) here.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hmmm, does not work here at all
"ReaBlink_Monitor.lua:4: attempt to call a nil value (field 'Blink_GetEnabled')"

What are the requirements, please?
Reaper v6.29+dev0528 (32-bit, clean portable installation) and Windows10 (64-bit) here.
Did you install the plugin itself? Copied reaper_reablink.dll into your %AppData%/REAPER/UserPlugins directory?
Old 05-29-2021, 07:10 AM   #10
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by en5ca View Post
Did you install the plugin itself? Copied reaper_reablink.dll into your %AppData%/REAPER/UserPlugins directory?
Yes, sure I did.

I did that already yesterday with the first 0.1 version, tried in portable installs 32 bit and also 64 bit (if DLL was only x64), added SWS extension if they would be required, but nothing helped.
Today, seeing that v0.2 is out, I tried it again with latest +DEV and the same situation repeats.

How can I verify if extension is being actually loaded when Reaper starts?
Old 05-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
en5ca

Quote:
Yes, sure I did.

I did that already yesterday with the first 0.1 version, tried in portable installs 32 bit and also 64 bit (if DLL was only x64), added SWS extension if they would be required, but nothing helped.
Today, seeing that v0.2 is out, I tried it again with latest +DEV and the same situation repeats.

How can I verify if extension is being actually loaded when Reaper starts?
The build is generated by Github's 'windows-latest' environment, so it might be 64-bit only. If the plugin is loaded, you should see a bunch of Blink-prefixed functions in your local ReaScript API documentation (Help > ReaScript documentation).
Old 05-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
akademie

en5ca, thanks for hint about the ReaScript Documentation.

No, there is no "blink" word contained, so I assume it hasn't been loaded.

I will try to install 64-bit version of Reaper and will report back (although I alredy did that before, but not with the latest version).
Old 05-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #13
en5ca

Quote:
en5ca, thanks for hint about the ReaScript Documentation.

No, there is no "blink" word contained, so I assume it hasn't been loaded.

I will try to install 64-bit version of Reaper and will report back (although I alredy did that before, but not with the latest version).
It doesnt depend on SWS, but if you have ReaPack and/or SWS installed and working, copy reaper_reablink.dll file into the same directory, where those .dll-files are located (attached picture), and it should load.
Attached Images
File Type: png pic.png (4.0 KB, 343 views)
Old 05-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #14
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Awesome !

Could you do a short feature list ?

e.g.
- Audio transfer
- Midi transfer
- Transport command transfer
- Timing (Beat) synchonization

Thanks
-Michael
In that sense, the feature list is short. I don't think Ableton Link transfers any media (audio/MIDI/video). It's a shared transport with tempo and beat information, and optionally shared start and stop commands. The plugin provides ReaScript API functions to 'do something in REAPER' with this information. It also has my attempts (Master and Puppet modes) trying to achieve Ableton Link Test Plan compliant operation with REAPER, basically trying to emulate the way how Ableton Live works with Link in timeline mode, using tempo/time signature markers as 'scenes'. Also, there are some example/test Lua ReaScript API scripts included. More information about Ableton Link is available at Ableton Link repository.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #15
akademie

Hey man, en5ca, success

I got lost in time immediatelly as it started to work and I synced easily the Reaper on laptop with G-Stomp on tablet and another G-Stomp on my phone
Instant jam paradise.

It was 64bit thing (previously I tried it with x64 but older 6.04 version, maybe it hasn't neccessary API yet).

Anyway, easily getting to work by installing latest Reaper v6.29+dev0528 (x64 !!!) and copying reaper_reablink.dll to its UserPlugins directory, importing all the included scripts and restarting the Reaper.

It always gets Reaper to its knees when using native transport button Play etc., but using Start/Stop sripts is working fine. Tempo inc/dec works flawlesly.

Even I would vote for native implementation...
you, en5ca, made amazing work here with very usable extension & scripts.
Thank you a lot.

Now i will have to try to sync two (or more) laptops with Reaper running

REQ: Could it be possible to compile the extension also in 32-bit, please? (As this laptop is the only one which has installed 64-bit Windows, all my other desktops and laptops have 32-bit versions, for good reasons). (And even on 64-bit Windows I use primarily 32-bit Reapers).
Old 05-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #16
_Stevie_

Sorry, if this may sound lazy, but I'm currently mid projects.
Is it possible to sync 2 Reapers on different machines?
Thinking: sync DAW with video machine.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
akademie

Quote:
Hi _Stevie_,
it should be possible, but I only have one 64-bit machine here right now so I cannot confirm, but I hope it should work as it is receiving the same info as androids "satellites" which I tried successfully few minutes ago

EDIT: I see it as the use case with your video as it would need to rely on more linear approach than beats/measure/loops based. So, definitely needs further investigating, checking and finding the right workflow. (I am not sure what the Puppet mode means, yet, but from en5ca's info above I suspect that it may have something to do with absolute position in timeline, thus maybe good for you...? Or I can be completely wrong here also )

Last edited by akademie; 05-29-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #18
akademie

Grrrv ,
I just tried it on my desktop machine with Linux installed and got the same error as before:

BUt now it is Reaper v6.29+dev0528 linux (x64)* and your ReaBlink v0.2.0 (reablink-v0.2.0-Linux.zip) ... reaper_reablink.so copied to UserPlugins dir.

Again no traces of "blink" word in local ReaScript documentation

Can it be that Linux version is compiled as 32-bit here? (I cannot test it because I cannot run 32-bit Reaper in 64-bit Linux .. or I don't know how).

reaper629+dev0528_linux_x86_64.tar.xz
https://www.landoleet.org/reaper629+..._x86_64.tar.xz
Old 05-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #19
en5ca

Quote:
Grrrv ,
I just tried it on my desktop ...
Good to hear it's working at least in some ways.

The 0.2.0 SetCaptureTransportCommands (enabled by default when launching the updated ReaBlink Monitor) captures the spacebar Start/Stop (not Start or Stop) and Increase/Decrease tempo commands from REAPER directly, so you don't need to use the scripts for these anymore (if you're now using 0.2.0, and have launched the updated ReaBlink Monitor).

Just make sure you've also loaded the updated ReaBlink_Monitor.lua script into REAPER actions. Destroy any trace of the old monitor script, and then load the new. Then you shouldn't need to use the scripts for transport or tempo control. You can use the corresponding native REAPER actions from the Action list; 'Transport: Play/stop' and 'Tempo: Increase/Decrease current project tempo by 01 BPM' (command IDs 40044, 41129, 41130). Release notes.

Automated builds are based on latest reaper-sdk headers. ReaBlink plugin (currently) loads all available REAPER functions, so I believe, at least for now, ReaBlink build will require REAPER version matching the reaper-sdk version available at the build time. Which, I think, was version 6.23 yesterday.

Linux build uses Github ubuntu-latest environment, which is currently based in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have tested the Linux build only with REAPER running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit, and with that system it loads up. But I have no idea, if it works with older and/or non-Debian based, or 32-bit, distros.

I try to see, if I can get 32-bit Windows build and some other things done.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
en5ca

Quote:
It can sync REAPERs. But I have no idea how it works with video. I find it hard to believe it would be stable, if video was to be streched/compressed in realtime in REAPER to match tempo or something like that.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #21
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

Man if this works much ...
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: With the provided API functions you can do pretty much whatever you want in REAPER based on the Link session information:"Hmm. Tempo change detected in Link session, let's delete all tracks in REAPER!!1" In the gif you see Master/Puppet mode in action. Which are '...my attempts (Master and Puppet modes) trying to achieve Ableton Link Test Plan compliant operation with REAPER, basically trying to emulate the way how Ableton Live works with Link in timeline mode, using tempo/time signature markers as 'scenes'.' But, you can also write your own scripts using the provided API functions to make REAPER interact with the Link session exactly the way you want.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #22
nofish

Sorry for OT but since I saw the opening post I wondered are you a Metallica fan or is Master/Puppet coincidence? :P

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #23
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Sorry for OT but since I saw the opening post I wondered are you a Metallica fan or is Master/Puppet coincidence? :P

I guess I will be meeting Lars Ulrich in person soon, in court, due to licensing issues, now that you've pointed this out.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #24
nofish

Lol, good luck.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #25
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Lol, good luck.
Thank you.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #26
en5ca

Quote:
Grrrv ,
I just tried it on my desktop machine with Linux ...
Did some testing. It runs on recent Fedora, so I guess it's not distro specific. But Linux version is linked against library versions available in Github's 'ubuntu-latest' (currently 20.04 LTS), so it probably won't load, if your Linux has older versions. If you start REAPER in Linux from terminal, it will probably show you errors about which libraries are not compatible with the plugin. If you can't upgrade, then you probably have to build it from source on your Linux.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #27
akademie

Quote:
Did some testing. It runs on recent Fedora, so I guess it's not distro specific. But Linux version is linked against library versions available in Github's 'ubuntu-latest' (currently 20.04 LTS), so it probably won't load, if your Linux has older versions. If you start REAPER in Linux from terminal, it will probably show you errors about which libraries are not compatible with the plugin. If you can't upgrade, then you probably have to build it from source on your Linux.
I will try to run Reaper from the Terminal tomorrow and check if anything is missing. Thanks.

Quote:
<snip>
I try to see, if I can get 32-bit Windows build and some other things done.
That wwould be super helpful, thank you.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #28
en5ca

Quote:
That wwould be super helpful, thank you.
32-bit Windows build will be up soon. Already tested with portable REAPER 5.62 32-bit.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #29
akademie

Quote:
32-bit Windows build will be up soon. Already tested with portable REAPER 5.62 32-bit.
Cool, that's great news, thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #30
en5ca

Quote:
Cool, that's great news, thanks
Should be available now here.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #31
akademie

Quote:
Should be available now here.
Thanks so much. (I apologize, I was busy day, so have not much time since my last post).

I tried and in the end(*) this 32bit version works OK, too.

One request: Could it be possible to compile the extension with all that VC++ libraries included? (I tested 32bit initially on clean Win7 and it complained(*) about missing MSVCP140.dll and then all the other Microsoft VC++ stuff, so I got it from my Arduino portable package and copied all to Reaper's main folder, ut it is really mess with about 30 files). I assume it's the same with the x64 version but that I tried on some Win10 installation with all Office etc. stuff, so then there were all kind of MS libraries included already.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #32
en5ca

Quote:
Thanks ...
Ok. There should be new files. Windows versions statically linked.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #33
akademie

Quote:
Ok. There should be new files. Windows versions statically linked.
Wow, you're faster than light

Thanks, I will try them later today.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #34
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Wow, amazing!
Thank you very much
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #35
en5ca

Quote:
Wow, you're faster than light

Thanks, I will try them later today.
Did situation improve, or did I made worse, or no change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Wow, amazing!
Thank you very much
Thanks! I hope it will be useful.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #36
akademie

Quote:
Did situation improve, or did I made worse, or no change?
...<snip>
I tried 32-bit v0.3.2 of ReaBlink on that "clean" Windows7 (32-bit) and now it starts without any errors, so statically linking did the job right
Thanks.

Re: Linux: I tried to run Reaper Linux x64 with ReaBlink v0.3.1 on Linux Lite 4.x from Terminal as you suggested and this is the error it shows:
Quote:
swell: dlopen() failed: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/deti-pc/test-michal/reaper629rc5_linux_x86_64/REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reablink-x86_64.so)
Error loading /home/deti-pc/test-michal/reaper629rc5_linux_x86_64/REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reablink-x86_64.so: (null)

Last edited by akademie; 06-02-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #37
en5ca

Quote:
I tried 32-bit v0.3.2 of ReaBlink on that "clean" Windows7 (32-bit) and now it starts without any errors, so statically linking did the job right
Thanks.

Re: Linux: I tried to run Reaper Linux x64 with ReaBlink v0.3.1 on Linux Lite 4.x from Terminal as you suggested and this is the error it shows:
Latest release should work, but you might want to consider upgrading to Linux Lite 5 (which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), or building from source. Latest release might also offer some actual performance improvement, if you've had trouble with start/stopping.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #38
Meo-Ada Mespotine

On Windows 7 with Reaper 6.29(x64), Reaper crashes during exit. This doesn't happen, as soon as I deactivate ReaBlink.
So something seems to be buggy when unregistering the plugin from Reaper during that...

This is what the crash-report shows...

Code:
Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname:	BEX64
  Anwendungsname:	reaper.exe
  Anwendungsversion:	6.2.9.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel:	60a413aa
  Fehlermodulname:	StackHash_2a11
  Fehlermodulversion:	0.0.0.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel:	00000000
  Ausnahmeoffset:	0000000000000040
  Ausnahmecode:	c0000005
  Ausnahmedaten:	0000000000000008
  Betriebsystemversion:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Gebietsschema-ID:	1031
  Zusatzinformation 1:	2a11
  Zusatzinformation 2:	2a1131e3d34e9eb0f8d9f1492b29ae5f
  Zusatzinformation 3:	654a
  Zusatzinformation 4:	654a55a74e85a72026dd199c1cec455e

Old 06-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #39
en5ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
On Windows 7 with Reaper 6.29(x64), Reaper crashes during exit. This doesn't happen, as soon ...
Hmm, funny because I ran into this in earlier versions, and hardcoded it in for ReaBlink to separately 'shutdown and disable itself' after unregistering the functions during plugin unload. And that solved it, at least in Windows 10. Is this the first version, or a more recent one?
Old 06-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #40
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Hmm, funny because I ran into this in earlier versions, and hardcoded it in for ReaBlink to separately 'shutdown and disable itself' after unregistering the functions during plugin unload. And that solved it, at least in Windows 10. Is this the first version, or a more recent one?
The latest 0.3.3.