Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
ARP
Human being with feelings

Default Graphics clunky in Mac OS....

I've noticed that the graphics performance in Mac OS compared to my PC is very clunky, especially things like faders, and sliders, they act as though they are stepped, rather than being smooth, I've downloaded the latest version of Repaer and it's still the same. Also I'm still getting Midi interruptions, where the Midi just disappears all of a sudden. If I can't fix these problems I'm just going to go over to Logic, I don't want to, I'd rather stay with Reaper, but it seems Reaper definitly performs better on the PC.

ARP.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #2
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I've noticed that the graphics performance in Mac OS compared to my PC is very clunky, especially things like faders, and sliders, they act as though they are stepped, rather than being smooth, I've downloaded the latest version of Repaer and it's still the same. Also I'm still getting Midi interruptions, where the Midi just disappears all of a sudden. If I can't fix these problems I'm just going to go over to Logic, I don't want to, I'd rather stay with Reaper, but it seems Reaper definitly performs better on the PC.

ARP.
Oh, then welcome to Logic's bugfest

P.S. Then why you did go for a Mac in the first place?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

It'll be hard to help you without more specifics and specs (what Mac hardware, OS version?). Anyway...

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=91

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=99
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
vanhaze

I also experience the first issue, stated in OP post (non smooth fader and knob behaviour).
Doesnt matter what theme i use, the issue is there.

It's not that big issue for me that i would leave Reaper for it.

I am on latest Reaper ,64bit, , OSX 10.9.5, macbook late 2011, 8 gigs RAM.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #5
Repetition Compulsion

I've never had anything close to the issues mentioned on any of the 4 mac's I've used Reaper on...as old as a 2009 13" mbp, as new as a 2013 15" mbp retina.

How much ram do you have? What else is running? Are you using the proper verison, 32vs64bit?
Repetition Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repetition Compulsion View Post
I've never had anything close to the issues mentioned on any of the 4 mac's I've used Reaper on...as old as a 2009 13" mbp, as new as a 2013 15" mbp retina.

How much ram do you have? What else is running? Are you using the proper verison, 32vs64bit?
I'm on the latest OS, 16 gig of RAM, i7 processor. Running Reaper 64 bit.
As someone else said, it is there this graphics problem, but maybe not on all Mac's, computers are so fickle, we all know that. I changed to a Mac simply because I fancied a change, and I can afford to. I'm still running my PC as a soft synth host, playing into my Mac, so it's not as if this is the end of the world, but it would be nice to get the Mac up and running bug free, until then, I'm still skeptical, Mac's look nice, and it's all supposed to be so wonderful and hippy dippy doo, really ? Well, they are no more or less reliable than a PC, but, they don't seem to get viruses as much as PC's, so I suppose that is a plus point. The graphics quallity is good, but no better than a top line PC gamer. I've got it now, so I'll stick with it, it is damn fast, takes a fraction of the time to render projects compared to my PC, seconds instead of minuets, you blink and it's done. I'm a bit impatient, I want things to work perfectly first time, and we all know that that isn't the case with life, and especially, with computers.

ARP.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Repetition Compulsion

Interesting. I've been on Macs since 2005 and they've been nothing but rock steady reliable for me. I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've had one crash, and most of that is due to me using untested/unproven third party software & whatnot.

(a few moments later...)

Son of a bitch, I just opened up Reaper, was going to do a quick screen capture of the smoothness....now I notice what I think you're talking about. The faders are mostly smooth, but they do chop around a bit ESPECIALLY when dragging them quickly. I'll be damned. I guess I've just never noticed it before. I don't know if it also did this on my Mini or on the older laptop, I'm on the 15" retina now, same specs as yours it seems. I also wonder if I could force the laptop to use the nVidia card instead of the integrated intel chip if it would change anything...hmm....
Old 09-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repetition Compulsion View Post
Interesting. I've been on Macs since 2005 and they've been nothing but rock steady reliable for me. I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've had one crash, and most of that is due to me using untested/unproven third party software & whatnot.

(a few moments later...)

Son of a bitch, I just opened up Reaper, was going to do a quick screen capture of the smoothness....now I notice what I think you're talking about. The faders are mostly smooth, but they do chop around a bit ESPECIALLY when dragging them quickly. I'll be damned. I guess I've just never noticed it before. I don't know if it also did this on my Mini or on the older laptop, I'm on the 15" retina now, same specs as yours it seems. I also wonder if I could force the laptop to use the nVidia card instead of the integrated intel chip if it would change anything...hmm....
Ha Ha ! I shouldn't have mentioned it ! I'm running an i Mac, 27 inch screen. I don't know if that puts more strain on the graphics ? But I am wishing I got the smaller one, my neck aches moving around so much looking at the corners of the screen !

ARP.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
EpicSounds

I noticed this too when I switched from PC to Mac. Scrolling horizontally and vertically is much "snappier" on Windows 7.

Installing Win 7 on my iMac I found the same thing. For me it's such a slight problem that I'd rather keep REAPER on OSX. Stability has always been great for me since switching, I was getting BSOD almost daily before.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
TimOBrien

I've heard others complain, but I have not experienced this either in my IMac with built in graphics.

Are you having problems in Macs with graphics cards in them?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
Repetition Compulsion

Mine's got an intel HD4000 which is uses for most ever day processes. When the computer decides it needs some extra kick it switches on the nVidia 650m. When I get a chance I'm going to see about a way to force the nVidia into use for Reaper and see if that makes any difference.

On the 27" screen, heh.....I generally have my computer hooked up to a 32" LED. When I had my Mini as my main setup last year, I was using it dual-screen with a 32" & a 24" with Reaper spread out all over both of them. Loved it, but yeah it can be a bit overwhelming with the amount of real estate to take in :P.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
I've heard others complain, but I have not experienced this either in my IMac with built in graphics.

Are you having problems in Macs with graphics cards in them?
its only if you compare it side by side with a PC. OSX has lots of menu delays and things that make it slow that cannot be turned off.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
its only if you compare it side by side with a PC. OSX has lots of menu delays and things that make it slow that cannot be turned off.

I think I'll just go back to my PC....but, I wonder why Garage Band runs a a smooth as silk ? And Logic also, no jumpy faders or choppy sliders there, I guess they are optimised for Mac OS.

ARP.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I think I'll just go back to my PC....but, I wonder why Garage Band runs a a smooth as silk ? And Logic also, no jumpy faders or choppy sliders there, I guess they are optimised for Mac OS.

ARP.
Garageband has always felt really slowwwww to me.

Jumpy faders are keeping you from getting a good mix? come on
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
serr

I installed and launched the Windows version of Reaper (.exe) just to see what all the fuss was about. The graphics were so slow and clunky that anyone with previous experience with a Mac would not even take it seriously!
Start scrolling down tracks in the TCP (arrange window) - you see the scroll bar start moving but the view just sits there for a couple seconds and then finally lurches to catch up with the scroll.

Now I certainly didn't get into trying to optimize the system and research Windows setup tweaks and all that. That's not fair but there's no way to justify spending the time on it. I had to do some tweaking on the OSX side when I started getting into higher track/plugin counts too but it just worked right out of the box in OSX at a very high level already.

I wish I knew what to suggest the problem might be in your case, ARP. Sorry this is all talk and no help! All I can tell you is the graphics should absolutely be better in OSX just like you expected. I DO notice that when you stress Reaper out (with preferences not optimized for the plugins you are running for one example) that the first thing that starts to happen is it gets "sensitive" to GUI activity. This could very well be a rogue plugin scenario.

I've gone around in circles with a few plugins where there were points I was sure I'd found a bug in Reaper. At the end of the day it was always a plugin (or preference settings attendant thereto). It gets difficult to troubleshoot because Reaper has this tendency to run flawlessly with grossly incorrect settings for smaller projects (at least in OSX).

The slickest GUI I've used in a DAW is Protools HD v 6 - 8. They lost the edge they had with v9. Reaper's GUI and PT HD9 are a very close match for speed (when PT isn't crashing that is).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
esosotericmetal

I can also confirm having GUI clunkiness in OSX. I have a Macbook Pro (2010?) and a Macbook Air (2013) and both have those issues. Logic Pro X and Ableton is silky smooth. I think I may end up switching to Logic as these GUI issues have definitely been bothering me and is affecting workflow.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #17
willowhaus

Default Solved?

I just tested something: went to Preferences -> Appearance and un-checked "Tooltips for UI Elements" - no more jumpy faders!

You can still see the numerical fader setting at the top of the fader, if you need it.
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Yep!
I sometimes have graphical glitches but mostly on plugins.
I created this thread a little while ago.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=146148

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Vendetta V

I can confirm that the UI is a bit slow. I've read on numerous occasions that Reaper guys don't really optimise the mac side as much as windows side. I also have issues with Wave plugins..

BUT! removing the tooltip UI thingy recommended above fixes the faders. Now it is REALLY smooth as to previously ok/fine. Thanks!

EDIT: controlling from the MIDI controller though still yields average results. not the speed I used to get on PC.

Last edited by Vendetta V; 09-23-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
serr

I've had that disabled for quite a while now as it also causes the spaces bug where the mixer 'runs away from you' when you try to move a fader. Now clunky graphics too... OK, looks like we're done here then.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #21
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I installed and launched the Windows version of Reaper (.exe) just to see what all the fuss was about. The graphics were so slow and clunky that anyone with previous experience with a Mac would not even take it seriously!
Start scrolling down tracks in the TCP (arrange window) - you see the scroll bar start moving but the view just sits there for a couple seconds and then finally lurches to catch up with the scroll.

Now I certainly didn't get into trying to optimize the system and research Windows setup tweaks and all that. That's not fair but there's no way to justify spending the time on it. I had to do some tweaking on the OSX side when I started getting into higher track/plugin counts too but it just worked right out of the box in OSX at a very high level already.

I wish I knew what to suggest the problem might be in your case, ARP. Sorry this is all talk and no help! All I can tell you is the graphics should absolutely be better in OSX just like you expected. I DO notice that when you stress Reaper out (with preferences not optimized for the plugins you are running for one example) that the first thing that starts to happen is it gets "sensitive" to GUI activity. This could very well be a rogue plugin scenario.

I've gone around in circles with a few plugins where there were points I was sure I'd found a bug in Reaper. At the end of the day it was always a plugin (or preference settings attendant thereto). It gets difficult to troubleshoot because Reaper has this tendency to run flawlessly with grossly incorrect settings for smaller projects (at least in OSX).

The slickest GUI I've used in a DAW is Protools HD v 6 - 8. They lost the edge they had with v9. Reaper's GUI and PT HD9 are a very close match for speed (when PT isn't crashing that is).

Thank's, I know the graphics don't stop you working, but it is important, it's just distracting if things aren't working correctly, I'm going to try and disable the that graphics Ui option in preferences, thank's for that, I haven't had a chance to get at the computer since yesterday, will try it today.
I really don't know, if this doesn't cure it ? My default template that I always use is pathetically small, 4 tracks of midi, four tracks of audio, and two plug-in tracks. A total of ten tracks, hardly taxing to any computer.

ARP.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #22
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhaus
I just tested something: went to Preferences -> Appearance and un-checked "Tooltips for UI Elements" - no more jumpy faders!
Thanks for the tip !

This also cured a problem I was having with the TCP expanding / contracting simply by moving the Apple Magic Mouse in the TCP area.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #23
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhaus View Post

You can still see the numerical fader setting at the top of the fader, if you need it.
Thanks' your a genius ! It worked. No more jumpy faders !

ARP.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #24
serr

Has a proper bug report been submitted? This looks very clear and reproducible and it causes a severe graphics issue. Maybe this is only in the OSX version?
Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #25
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Has a proper bug report been submitted? This looks very clear and reproducible and it causes a severe graphics issue. Maybe this is only in the OSX version?
I've mentioned this over on the bug forum.

ARP.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #26
dzanella

Hi there guys,

I'm new here just because only a few days I bought a Reaper License, so I feel like now I deserve some space to discuss here with you. LOL!!!

So, I know it's an old thread but a few days ago migrated from Windows to Mac world sure of Mac magnificent fame in order to work with sound, image and video, but at least for now (and with Reaper) I'm facing some troubles just like you are....or was...

Well onto Mac, the timeline while playing and the meters as well are very laggy so it's difficult to analyze in details what's going on with the mixing while everything runs smoothly in Windows. It's important to mention that my Mac hardware is a lot better than my 2010's PC (with a GPU upgrade).

I tried some different Reaper Appearance configurations with no success.

So is there any solution for that guys or you still fighting with Mac just like I started to?
dzanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 AM   #27
Win Conway

It's the same in a bunch of audio software, the only "Macs are better" guys still around have never used a PC, Macs are great for Mac only software, that says something i guess.
I do like my Mac but i would never have one as my studio work machine.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
dzanella

Default A possible solution?

Hey guys, what's up?

I found something that called my attention.

There's a preference setting that changes the frequency of meter update. I'm not home right now, so I couldn't tell what setting item it is precisely but it's easy to find out typing "meter" in the settings search box.

I noticed that the default (or wrong default) setting was set to 12Hz. Then I checked the same configuration into Windows version. In fact that was a setting item that I never changed in both platforms. The Windows default setting was 30Hz. The other parameters was the same in both.

I just had change it in mac then BOOM! There was no "laggy" GUI anymore. Indeed, plugins and other things was running smoothly.

So I don't know if your issues are the same, but...that's mine....hope it can be helpful...
Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #29
Futur8me

Please explain better as I have searched everywhere and not found this magical Hz meter thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanella View Post
Hey guys, what's up?

I found something that called my attention.

There's a preference setting that changes the frequency of meter update. I'm not home right now, so I couldn't tell what setting item it is precisely but it's easy to find out typing "meter" in the settings search box.

I noticed that the default (or wrong default) setting was set to 12Hz. Then I checked the same configuration into Windows version. In fact that was a setting item that I never changed in both platforms. The Windows default setting was 30Hz. The other parameters was the same in both.

I just had change it in mac then BOOM! There was no "laggy" GUI anymore. Indeed, plugins and other things was running smoothly.

So I don't know if your issues are the same, but...that's mine....hope it can be helpful...
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #30
vanhaze

a) Open Reaper Preferences.
b) In the "Find" field, bottom left, type in "meter hz"

You will now see the Meter Update Frequency setting.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #31
Futur8me

Thankyou.., I changed the Hz up but it has not fixed the laggy play head or the resizing lag..?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
a) Open Reaper Preferences.
b) In the "Find" field, bottom left, type in "meter hz"

You will now see the Meter Update Frequency setting.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #32
dzanella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Thankyou.., I changed the Hz up but it has not fixed the laggy play head or the resizing lag..?.

Can you post some video illustrating what kind of issue you're having? I don't get what is this play head and resizing lag.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #33
SiKo

Didn't this help?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #34
Futur8me

This helped a little bit but in a similar thread Justin explained he was looking into seeing if he could make things better in macOS.. we are still waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
Didn't this help?