Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
bo0mer31337
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Crashes

I'm using a brand new MacBookPro with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
I first open Reaper then I insert a new MIDI instrument track and then I go to the top and click insert new MIDI item. Then I adjust it's length and stuff in properties and then if I play some notes on the piano in the piano roll it may crash or after I write some notes....basically I can't write any MIDI notes without it crashing eventually. I can write two notes or three or a whole 4 measures but then I get the spinning rainbow beach ball of death!! I thought windows was bad jeeze how no idea bad mac is until I had to get it for work. Anyway I am on the trial version and this is hindering my research I work for a very large company and I am currently playing around with it in research so far my trial/evaluation period has just been terrible experience this DAW can't even write MIDI notes without crashing. I have tried both with bluetooth headphones and directly hard wired plugged in still crashes I have to command+alt+escape force quit everytime. Please help me fix this my trial days are running out as we speak and it doesn't even work.
-Bo0M3R 31337
bo0mer31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo0mer31337 View Post
I'm using a brand new MacBookPro with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
I first open Reaper then I insert a new MIDI instrument track and then I go to the top and click insert new MIDI item. Then I adjust it's length and stuff in properties and then if I play some notes on the piano in the piano roll it may crash or after I write some notes....basically I can't write any MIDI notes without it crashing eventually. I can write two notes or three or a whole 4 measures but then I get the spinning rainbow beach ball of death!! I thought windows was bad jeeze how no idea bad mac is until I had to get it for work. Anyway I am on the trial version and this is hindering my research I work for a very large company and I am currently playing around with it in research so far my trial/evaluation period has just been terrible experience this DAW can't even write MIDI notes without crashing. I have tried both with bluetooth headphones and directly hard wired plugged in still crashes I have to command+alt+escape force quit everytime. Please help me fix this my trial days are running out as we speak and it doesn't even work.
-Bo0M3R 31337
Mac isn't bad.
i am running Reaper for years on mac and it flies.
There is something not right in your setup.
Problaby not even due to Reaper.

- What are your audiodevice settings in Reaper preferences ?
- What audiodevice you use ?
- Which VST plugin do you use for playing the midi ?
- and oohyeah: Reaper trial version just keeps working after trial days are over.
The nag screen to buy it just stays longer.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
bo0mer31337

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Mac isn't bad.
i am running Reaper for years on mac and it flies.
There is something not right in your setup.
Problaby not even due to Reaper.

- What are your audiodevice settings in Reaper preferences ?
- What audiodevice you use ?
- Which VST plugin do you use for playing the midi ?
- and oohyeah: Reaper trial version just keeps working after trial days are over.
The nag screen to buy it just stays longer.
It's all default I didn't change anything it's "out of the box"
-AudioDevice Settings are just default....Allow projects to override device sample rate is the only box checked. Sample Rate not checked but has 48000 in the field.... and block size not checked 512 in the field.

-audio device is Built-in Output

-AUi: Apple: AUMIDISynth is what I'm using for VST/AUI

-and okay cool. Yea I'm working on a project for work.

Well so far in the past 6 months i've been using this Mac it has been the worst computer I've ever used. But anyway that aside that's my set up.
-Bo0M3R 31337

Last edited by bo0mer31337; 10-20-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: mispelling and expressing it's out of the box
Old 10-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Futur8me

Everything is stable and perfect here.., if reaper crashes its usually a dodgy plugin.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
bo0mer31337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Everything is stable and perfect here.., if reaper crashes its usually a dodgy plugin.

Yea I tried a different one the VSTi: ReaSynth (Cockos) seems to be working so far so I am thinking it was the AUMIDISynth by Apple.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
bo0mer31337

So should I bring this issue up to Apple? Or are we just going to leave it reaping havoc? pun intended!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo0mer31337 View Post
So should I bring this issue up to Apple? Or are we just going to leave it reaping havoc? pun intended!

when there is a problem I find I always fill out an apple feedback form and tell them what I think.. they have emailed back a few times with wanting more info.., so they do read and listen.., I just recommend to you to have a good hunt around on the net and try out all the various plugins available to find the most stable plugins you enjoy most.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #8
DarkStar

Yes, report the problem to Apple.

Also, have a look around for alternative synths, or perhaps someone here will recommend one (I could not find much info about AUMIDISynth so cannot offer suggestions).