Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-18-2016, 05:53 AM   #601
snooks
Banned

Great work here, one issue I'm sure you're aware of is that the new MIDI recording system doesn't respect the track Input Quantize settings. I don't know if a shock and awe FR campaign with Cockos to get input quantize stuff added to the API (get, set and quantize to) would be in order or whether you have a cunning plan?
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #602
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Great work here, one issue I'm sure you're aware of is that the new MIDI recording system doesn't respect the track Input Quantize settings. I don't know if a shock and awe FR campaign with Cockos to get input quantize stuff added to the API (get, set and quantize to) would be in order or whether you have a cunning plan?
Yes. For the time being, input quantization can't be used anymore when recording Playtime clips. I found it more important to allow stable clip recording with perfect timing than to keep this implicit feature (which worked only because REAPER's built-in recording function was used).

I'll probably try to add this feature again in future, but not in the upcoming release. Actually, it seems it can be done using the API (midi_quantize_mode_t).
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #603
snooks
Banned

Yes, I agree with your priorities. That's good news it's tucked away in reaper_plugin.h, I just assumed that it not being in the ReaScript API meant it wasn't possible. Happy as always to be completely wrong.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #604
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
In 1.12-pre2 I've made the glue action available even if the item has no section. Selecting and processing multiple slots would be nice but it will take a while to implement that.

Thank you, Ben!! Love the glue function now. Really impressed and happy with Playtime.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #605
Ozman

Every time I try to use a midi item to trigger scenes in Playtime, it instantly pauses after pressing play. It acts correctly when inputting the triggers live, but as stated, using a midi item to do so instantly pauses.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #606
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Every time I try to use a midi item to trigger scenes in Playtime, it instantly pauses after pressing play. It acts correctly when inputting the triggers live, but as stated, using a midi item to do so instantly pauses.
Also, I want to add that the instant pause occurs at the beginning. Hitting play a few more times gets it playing. Also, it seems that looping doesn't work correctly (that first note/trigger). Here is a snapshot of how it's set up.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #607
Ozman

I guess it may be a usage issue.
I wanted to use playtime as an arranger, not just for live triggers.

I was hoping to use the midi triggers as somewhat an arrangement clip/track.

It works for the most part, but having a note/trigger at the very beginning doesn't seem to work well when playing from the TSP and while looping.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #608
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Confirmed. This looks indeed like a bug. Will look into it.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #609
helgoboss

Hi all,

I've a new release for you: Playtime 1.12

Changes:
Compatibility change: Latest Playtime now needs REAPER >= 5.16, REAPER 4 is not supported anymore
#214 Added sample-accurate, zero-latency auto-play of recorded audio clips (there was a small but annoying delay in previous versions; the complete recording logic has been rewritten for this feature; instead of using REAPER's built-in recording feature, Playtime now adds lightweight 'Playtime Worker' plugins to tracks, they are responsible for recording)
#210 Added sample-accurate, zero-latency auto-play of recorded MIDI clips
#226 Added support for recording multiple slots concurrently (must be different tracks though)
#234 Added support for automatically looping take envelopes (this is only done whenever the corresponding envelope doesn't exceed the take length)
#196 Added support for recording track output
#212 Added option to automatically add fades to recorded clips in order to prevent clicks between loops (see setting 'Default loop fade time', default fade length for new projects is 10ms, uses the take volume envelope - so it's non-destructive and you can customize the fades afterwards to allow for more seamless looping, thanks to #234 take volume envelopes are automatically looped)
#251 Added possibility to glue clips (also if they don't have a section)
#250 Added possibility to reset Launchpad lights by clicking on brush button while it's not lighted up
#221 Improved usability by automatically zooming back when leaving edit mode (to zoom level as it was before entering edit mode)
#218 Improved usability by automatically switching off the metronome when starting tempo detection (just makes sense)
#220 Improved behavior when stopping a clip recording prematurely by deleting the left-over clip
#217 Improved clip naming by not adding '-glued' suffix after glueing
#165 Improved group and scene naming behavior by only memorizing custom names if they differ from the default name
#229 Improved usability by automatically selecting target cell after doing drag'n'drop (in previous versions, the source cell stayed selected and that felt weird)
#231 Improved usability by deleting left-over item when recording over an existing clip
#250 Improved Launchpad support by more reliably resetting all Launchpad lights (and possibly those of other controllers) on load
#247 Improved MIDI recording by including notes that have been played but not released before the recording
#208 Fixed too late auto-play after recording clip (resulting in wrong timing)
#211 Fixed crazy behavior when using envelopes for some trigger-like Playtime automation parameters (added a flooding protection)
#209 Fixed potential crash caused by race conditions
#209 Fixed crash that sometimes occurred after recording and aligning items vertically
#222 Fixed Playtime docking bug in recent REAPER versions that caused Playtime to not show up in docked mode when pressing the FX button
#223 Fixed Playtime show/hide action when repeatedly invoking the action using a keyboard shortcut (focus was lost and shortcut didn't work anymore)
#224 Fixed possible crash when deleting track after recording but before stopping
#225 Fixed bug that caused a recorded clip to be too long when untriggering the recording shortly after measure start within the sluggishness tolerance (as of this version, sluggishness tolerance is only used for playing clips, not for recording them)
#219 Fixed non-working retriggering of once played one-shot via automation
#230 Fixed missing controller light updates when swapping or copying slots
#239 Fixed bug in show/hide action and docking when the Playtime FX instance is renamed
#183 Fixed crash when trying to fill slot with empty item (filling it with an empty item is now prevented)
#253 Fixed weird behavior when pressing REAPER play button and triggering clips at exactly the same time (usually happens only when using Playtime as arranger, that is triggering Playtime clips using MIDI items)

@Ozman The last line means that the bug that you have reported (using Playtime as arranger) should be fixed now. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

In case you are interested: ReaLearn is now also out of beta.

Merry Christmas!

Ben
Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #610
wholehalf

Merry Christmas to you too Ben. Perfect timing for the new releases, can't wait to try them out!
wholehalf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #611
vanhaze

Indeed, an awesome Xmas present, many thanks for making Playtime better and better !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #612
bobvillain

Default help! Tempo detect

Just got a license for playtime - one thing I'm struggling with is a crash when I use tempo detect, record selected slot with a pedal, recording a midi track on dexed vst (also tested with other vsts). This only happens when I try to use auto play recorded clip.

I can get record selected slot to work with the pedal when not using tempo detect. I can even get tempo detect to work with the pedal if I'm not using auto play recorded clip. And works perfectly just using the mouse.

Pedal is set to toggle in midi learn, ch 16, and is on cc64. I've also tried on cc63 to no avail!

Any ideas? Much appreciated

Last edited by bobvillain; 01-12-2017 at 12:21 PM.
bobvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #613
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvillain View Post
Just got a license for playtime - one thing I'm struggling with is a crash when I use tempo detect, record selected slot with a pedal, recording a midi track on dexed vst (also tested with other vsts). This only happens when I try to use auto play recorded clip.

I can get record selected slot to work with the pedal when not using tempo detect. I can even get tempo detect to work with the pedal if I'm not using auto play recorded clip. And works perfectly just using the mouse.

Pedal is set to toggle in midi learn, ch 16, and is on cc64. I've also tried on cc63 to no avail!

Any ideas? Much appreciated
Hi, could you please send the RPP file to info@helgoboss.org? That will make it easier for me to reproduce and fix the crash. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #614
bobvillain

Thanks Helgoboss - I will do.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #615
carbon

I've just started to pay more attention to this thread that's gone on for years.
Playtime looks very promising indeed.

I'm wondering how Playtime handles tails of loops when recorded into clips?
In Mobius for an example, l ended a loop with overdub instead of play to blend the ending seamlessly with the beginning.
If that's not possible, will the tail at least be recorded?

Also I've grown attatched to the functions like replace and substitute to punch in and out some additional snippets or silence to the original loop. One plays back the punch in immediately, the other plays it the next cycle.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:49 AM   #616
carbon

Also in addition to my previous questions:
How to make Playtime set the project tempo to the loop's that's dragged in from media explorer?
Right now it wants to set the tempo of the loop to the project's tempo changing the rate.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #617
SunCrushr

Default Unable to instantiate Playtime Worker plugin

When clicking the record button on a clip, I'm getting an error that states that Playtime is unable to instantiate the Playtime Worker plugin. I tried adding the worker plugin directly to the track that I'm recording through, but that didn't work. Is it possible that Playtime doesn't know where the plugin is located? Do I need to provide that information to Playtime in some config file somewhere? Note, when I installed playtime, I did not let it take the defaults for the install directories for the vst plugins. However, the paths that the plugins are installed to are indeed in the vst plugin path in Reaper, and both Playtime and the Playtime Worker plugins show up in the plugin list in Reaper. Thanks for any help you can provide.
SunCrushr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 AM   #618
rcl

I recently have had crash issues with playtime. I load the default playtime project template. Simply press record tab on any track to record a segment. Instant crash. I can drag a clip in and it plays fine.

Reaper 5.31 64 win7
Playtime 1.12

I did not have this issue prior to updating. I have updated both Reaper and playtime since my last use,
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #619
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCrushr View Post
When clicking the record button on a clip, I'm getting an error that states that Playtime is unable to instantiate the Playtime Worker plugin. I tried adding the worker plugin directly to the track that I'm recording through, but that didn't work. Is it possible that Playtime doesn't know where the plugin is located? Do I need to provide that information to Playtime in some config file somewhere? Note, when I installed playtime, I did not let it take the defaults for the install directories for the vst plugins. However, the paths that the plugins are installed to are indeed in the vst plugin path in Reaper, and both Playtime and the Playtime Worker plugins show up in the plugin list in Reaper. Thanks for any help you can provide.
You don't need to provide that location to Playtime. It just instructs REAPER to instantiate the plugin.

You wrote that you tried to add the worker plugin directly to the track. Was it possible to add it? Should look a bit like this then:

Some data would be nice:
- OS version
- REAPER version
- 64-bit or 32-bit?
- The exact string in your REAPER "VST plug-in paths" setting
- The Playtime/PlaytimeWorker files which are in each VST plug-in path
- REAPER.ini, reaper-vstplugins64.ini, reaper-vstplugins.ini, reaper-vstbridge64.ini, reaper-vstbridge32.ini (can be found in C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Reaper)

You can send it to info@helgoboss.org ... Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-01-20 14_41_05-FX_ Track 1.png (3.4 KB, 1324 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #620
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
I recently have had crash issues with playtime. I load the default playtime project template. Simply press record tab on any track to record a segment. Instant crash. I can drag a clip in and it plays fine.

Reaper 5.31 64 win7
Playtime 1.12

I did not have this issue prior to updating. I have updated both Reaper and playtime since my last use,
Mmh, can't reproduce it here. Does it only occur if you use the template or also if you instantiate Playtime manually?

Could you send me the following things to info@helgoboss.org?
- REAPER.ini
- The RPP file (I know you used a project template but would still be good)

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #621
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I'm wondering how Playtime handles tails of loops when recorded into clips?
In Mobius for an example, l ended a loop with overdub instead of play to blend the ending seamlessly with the beginning.
If that's not possible, will the tail at least be recorded?
With the default settings, when you trigger a recording stop, it will still record until measure end. But as soon as it is on measure end, it won't record anymore. It would be technically possible to record more and then use a REAPER loop section with a fade in an attempt to make the loop more seamless. But Playtime uses take volume envelope fade-ins and fade-outs to make looping more seamless. I found this often works better than recording more and then doing a crossfade. Depends on the material.

Quote:
Also I've grown attatched to the functions like replace and substitute to punch in and out some additional snippets or silence to the original loop. One plays back the punch in immediately, the other plays it the next cycle.
Is this a bit like REAPER's punch-in punch-out recording?

Quote:
Also in addition to my previous questions:
How to make Playtime set the project tempo to the loop's that's dragged in from media explorer?
Right now it wants to set the tempo of the loop to the project's tempo changing the rate.
This is currently not configurable. The only feature where Playtime sets REAPER tempo to the tempo of the loop is "tempo detection" when doing recording.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #622
carbon

Quote:
With the default settings, when you trigger a recording stop, it will still record until measure end. But as soon as it is on measure end, it won't record anymore. It would be technically possible to record more and then use a REAPER loop section with a fade in an attempt to make the loop more seamless. But Playtime uses take volume envelope fade-ins and fade-outs to make looping more seamless. I found this often works better than recording more and then doing a crossfade. Depends on the material.

Is this a bit like REAPER's punch-in punch-out recording?
Replace is similar. But substitute can do this behind the scenes, so that you hear the altered loop at the next playback cycle.
You can get this kind of results, like Andre LaFosse here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InZkKwR9z4

Maybe one still needs a looper for these kinds of things and the playlist type approach is more of an arranging tool?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #623
helgoboss

Quote:
Replace is similar. But substitute can do this behind the scenes, so that you hear the altered loop at the next playback cycle.
You can get this kind of results, like Andre LaFosse here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InZkKwR9z4

Maybe one still needs a looper for these kinds of things and the playlist type approach is more of an arranging tool?
Playtime can be used for recording and playing loops live (using "Auto-play recorded clips" and "Record selected slot, go down"). However, if you want advanced looper-pedal features like substitute, you still need to use a looper tool at the moment. The main focus of Playtime is the typical session view features.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 AM   #624
rcl

Quote:
Mmh, can't reproduce it here. Does it only occur if you use the template or also if you instantiate Playtime manually?

- REAPER.ini

Thanks!
Can do.

I got the same result on a fresh install of Win 10, Reaper 5.32 and latest playtime.

I will send those files today.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #625
rcl

Quote:

- REAPER.ini

Thanks!
Well sir, I believe that there in itself solved the problem. I guess I was trying to record into Reaper/Playtime without first having saved the project. Reaper wont let you do that if the recorded media is saved in the project folder. I guess Reaper really doesnt like it when a third party tries to record something without a place to put it. Once I create and save a project life is good
Old 01-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #626
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
Well sir, I believe that there in itself solved the problem. I guess I was trying to record into Reaper/Playtime without first having saved the project. Reaper wont let you do that if the recorded media is saved in the project folder. I guess Reaper really doesnt like it when a third party tries to record something without a place to put it. Once I create and save a project life is good
That's weird. It should be possible also without saving the project. It should record to the "REAPER Media" directory then. Any chance you can still send the REAPER.ini to info@helgoboss.org?

Can anybody else reproduce this crash?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #627
rcl

Quote:
That's weird. It should be possible also without saving the project. It should record to the "REAPER Media" directory then. Any chance you can still send the REAPER.ini to info@helgoboss.org?

Can anybody else reproduce this crash?
Reaper ini sent.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM   #628
tryharder

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this...

Is it possible to have a region looping and audition one shot midi clips without clips from the last loop being there when the beat comes around again? Also is this possible during write mode? I guess due to my settings, I keep just making a big mess when I try to do these two things.
tryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #629
zookthespook

hello !
Just bought this fantastic app !
Request you to please put out some Official features video
warm rea gards
sameer
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #630
MCCY

Same proplem here. Worker can not be found :-(
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #631
MCCY

Default no worker

hm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playtime.jpg (34.3 KB, 348 views)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #632
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
Same proplem here. Worker can not be found :-(
Hi MCCY. Is it possible to add the Playtime Worker plugin manually? Should look a bit like this then:

Some data would be nice:
- OS version
- REAPER version
- 64-bit or 32-bit?
- The exact string in your REAPER "VST plug-in paths" setting
- The Playtime/PlaytimeWorker files which are in each VST plug-in path
- REAPER.ini, reaper-vstplugins64.ini, reaper-vstplugins.ini, reaper-vstbridge64.ini, reaper-vstbridge32.ini (can be found in C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Reaper)

You can send it to info@helgoboss.org ... Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #633
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post
Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this...

Is it possible to have a region looping and audition one shot midi clips without clips from the last loop being there when the beat comes around again? Also is this possible during write mode? I guess due to my settings, I keep just making a big mess when I try to do these two things.
This is currently not possible. Playtime is not intended to be used with REAPER repeat switched on.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #634
MCCY

Send infos by email.

Yes I can add manually, but makes no difference...
Old 02-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #635
MCCY

b.t.w. works on my 'graphics' computer with win8.1 clean reaper & playtime install, but I need it on Win7 :-(

On Win7 only installed pluginfolder vst32, only thatone activated. Same problem.

Last edited by MCCY; 02-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #636
helgoboss

Released Playtime 1.12.1

Changes:
#259 Fixed bug that caused Playtime to not find the Playtime Worker plugin (necessary for recording) if REAPER preference 'Get VST names/types when scanning' disabled
#264 Fixed crash when attempting to record slot if project not saved and default recording path defined but not existing
#258 Fixed freeze in tempo detection mode when using auto-play and triggering recording via automation parameter
Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #637
hanstimmermans

Default copy multiple items as clips script

Is there a script or is it possible to make a script that copies multiple items into playtime?

At the moment i make music in reaper and then convert it into Ableton for live performance..... i just cut up stems in the arrangement window of ableton and then copy it in to scene view.
hanstimmermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #638
bobvillain

Quote:
Released Playtime 1.12.1

Changes:
#259 Fixed bug that caused Playtime to not find the Playtime Worker plugin (necessary for recording) if REAPER preference 'Get VST names/types when scanning' disabled
#264 Fixed crash when attempting to record slot if project not saved and default recording path defined but not existing
#258 Fixed freeze in tempo detection mode when using auto-play and triggering recording via automation parameter
Thanks - working a treat now so far!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #639
Musicguy1214

Default Reaper recording audio instead of MIDI

I just updated my version of Playtime to 1.12.1 today, and afterwards the clips I want to record MIDI data on are now recording audio data. The waveforms are empty (probably because I don't have anything plugged in), but I can tell it's trying to record audio because the clip has a .wav extension. I'm on Windows 10 and using Reaper version 5.32. Also, the MIDI tracks I have are being routed out to Reason via rewire and routed back in to individual audio tracks in Reaper. I would say that this might be the issue, except everything was working with the old version of Playtime (I think it was 1.11.something) except for the auto-play function. Please advise.

Last edited by Musicguy1214; 02-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Musicguy1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 AM   #640
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicguy1214 View Post
I just updated my version of Playtime to 1.12.1 today, and afterwards the clips I want to record MIDI data on are now recording audio data. The waveforms are empty (probably because I don't have anything plugged in), but I can tell it's trying to record audio because the clip has a .wav extension. I'm on Windows 10 and using Reaper version 5.32. Also, the MIDI tracks I have are being routed out to Reason via rewire and routed back in to individual audio tracks in Reaper. I would say that this might be the issue, except everything was working with the old version of Playtime (I think it was 1.11.something) except for the auto-play function. Please advise.
Hi, could you please send your RPP file to info@helgoboss.org? I will have a look. The recording logic has been changed tremendously from 1.11 to 1.12 in favor of better timing and less side effects.