Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.05rc2a - March 3 2020

v6.05rc2a - March 3 2020
# DDP: fix ISRC import in certain cases

v6.05rc2 - March 3 2020
+ Control surfaces: do not use scroll view when tracks activated setting to determine whether surfaces follow selected tracks
+ DDP: fix import and render when INDEX0 is not used [p=2251748]

v6.05rc1 - February 29 2020
+ ARA: prevent loss of data when using automatic backups [t=230867]
+ ARA: prevent lost edits when running action to trim multiple items at once [p=2244902]
+ ARA: prevent lost edits when running an action that creates multiple splits or copies at once [p=2238805]
+ Automation items: when copy/pasting media items, also copy/paste all selected automation items [t=227409]
+ Credits: +=kenny;
+ DDP: fix ISRC import [p=2249484]
+ DDP: fix import of .DAT media on certain installs [p=2248928]
+ DDP: remove unnecessary redundant ISRC data when rendering [p=2249484]
+ Default theme: fix inconsistent width control view on 3.x pan mode [p=2248540]
+ MIDI editor: add action to set custom color map per track (not per media item)
+ MIDI editor: add option to use theme color for selected note body and/or border when coloring by track or media item
+ MIDI editor: add option when loading bank/program name file to set new default
+ MIDI: optionally display program names and text events in arrange view
+ MIDI: setting bank/program file for a track does not change the default bank/program file
+ Navigation: fix actions to move forward/back one beat with certain tempos [t=231969]
+ Render: add support for secondary render format (render simultaneously to wav and mp3, etc)
+ Routing/Grouping: add menu option to show/hide tooltips in routing and grouping dialog
+ TCP resize: avoid changing vzoom level/other track size when resizing tracks [t=231163]
+ Takes: implode items into tracks only if at least half of the item overlaps [p=2207040]
# ARA: fix restoring state when reloading new projects [p=2241148]
# ARA: potentially more successful loading of old corrupted data (will never be high likelihood of success)
# ARA: preserve edits when running action that deletes the beginning of a media item
# ARA: support forwards and backwards compatible state loading (projects saved in +dev0131 will not be loadable)
# Automation items: copy/paste to intended track when copying automation items and media items together
# Automation items: fix offset when pasting with media items [p=2219579]
# MIDI editor: add options to color unselected note body and/or border by theme color when using track or media item colors
# ReaScript: add support for getting/setting secondary render format
# ReaScript: fix setting primary and secondary render format
# Render dialog: restore all format settings when reopening the dialog [p=2238311]
# Render: fix populating render format dropdown after setting format via API [p=2239620]
# Track panels: do not recalculate vzoom level when scrolling view [p=2248991]

This thread is for pre-release discussion. Please post other requests in the Feature Requests forum.

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 03-05-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v6.05rc2 - March 3 2020
+ DDP: fix import and render when INDEX0 is not used [p=2251748]
Not yet

Only very quick test here ... (Windows 7 Pro 32bit, Reaper v6.05rc2 32bit).
DDP render/export, when INDEX0 is not used seems to be fixed and OK now, yes (verified by importing to Sonoris, DDPTOOLS,...).

But DDP import is not still correct (when INDEX0 not used, EDIT: also when both INDEX0 is used), because it still imports only first ISRC code for all the tracks.

See screenshots - example DDP rendered in 6.05rc2 and imported to Reaper 6.05rc2, DDPTOOLS and Sonoris.

https://stash.reaper.fm/38434/index1...aper605rc2.png
https://stash.reaper.fm/38435/index1...n-DDPTOOLS.png
https://stash.reaper.fm/38436/index1...in-Sonoris.png

EDIT*: Just tested more and import of ISRC is incorrect (first code assigned to all tracks) also when both INDEX0 and INDEX1 are used.

Last edited by akademie; 03-03-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: adding info that import is incorrect even for INDEX0 and INDEX1 variant
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Can you post a DDP project that doesn't import correctly, please?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Can you post a DDP project that doesn't import correctly, please?
Hi schwa, those are still the same projects I did post in rc1 thread.
I just simply loaded "test-index1-only.RPP" in rc2 and rendered DDP, then imported resulting DDP back into rc2.

In fact, now I just tried that second example projects ("test-index0-and-index1.RPP") too and import is also bad the same way

Well, here are those example projects again, for convenience:
https://stash.reaper.fm/38420/test-index1-only.RPP
https://stash.reaper.fm/38419/test-i...and-index1.RPP

Last edited by akademie; 03-03-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
mlprod

Yes, DDP export ISRC issue seems fixed!
Old 03-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
pepe44

So, anyone tested the ARA in a real situation ? any data loss after edits ?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
pepe44

I tried opening and closing a test project a couple times and the edits remain there. I´ll do some more testing and give feedback later. Thanks devs for this! Really important for me.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
So, anyone tested the ARA in a real situation ? any data loss after edits ?

Undoing reaper edits causes Melodyne lost edits, and there are cases that result in lost Melodyne edits when it is used as item FX. So, still use with care, but it is certainly a big big leap forward! Hopefully, the remaining bugs will be fixed in the next build(s) and then we can trust and use ARA in Reaper with no fear
Old 03-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
schwa
Administrator

DDP testers, 6.05rc2a is up at this special link temporarily: https://landoleet.org/.rc2a

Would you mind testing that? I don't want to clutter the world with another rc build until this issue is resolved.

Thanks!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
DDP testers, 6.05rc2a is up at this special link temporarily: https://landoleet.org/.rc2a

Would you mind testing that? I don't want to clutter the world with another rc build until this issue is resolved.

Thanks!
Sure schwa, only give me about half an hour or so, I have some work in progress here that I need to concentrate on and finish. Then I will test it for sure.

EDIT:
So, for me, it seems that import v6.05rc2a is now OK.

Only thing I just found is that "Genre=Pop Music" as included in example projects does not import into Sonoris somehow (in HOFA is imported OK as Pop Music), but in Sonoris there is "Not used".
Looking into CDTEXT.BIN in hex editor, there is difference in place where Genre is written in Reaper vs. Sonoris, but I am not sure what is correct. I will try also output from HOFA in a while.

!!! OK - DDP made in HOFA, which includes Genre, is also not imported in Sonoris (the same "Not used"), while imported OK in Reaper. It seems that Sonoris does use not only named genre but also the numeric code for genre. I would like to test latest version of Sonoris, which may happen tomorrow, maybe there was bug fixed meantime - I have version 3.0 here) --- CONTINUED below, in post#16, (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2252467)

ADDITION: Also would be great if we could manage to sort out that EAN code I already mentioned. Or do you want to leave it for next run? It will need more info to be sure how it is correct - where to write it etc... (or how much does it matter in the end in CD plant factories).

EDIT2: Schwa, there seems to be a bug on import with longer texts in Genre. I tried to put there "Easy Listening" or "Contemporary Christian" which are longer than "Pop Music" and when imported back text is somehow truncated as below:
"Contemporary Christian" > "Contempora Christian"
"Easy Listening" > "Easy Listeng"

(ddp image were made in both reaper 605rc2 and hofa, so not an export problem, when imported in hofa its there OK).
Anyway this behavior is not new, I just verified it by importing into Reaper v5.79 and text is also truncated.

Last edited by akademie; 03-04-2020 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added bug with longer "Genre" entries, and more info on general wrong genre import into Sonoris (probably Sonoris bug?)
Old 03-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
srdmusic

Default Very slow Marquee select while scrolling

When I Marquee select up or down in a larger reaper session I find that the GUI redraw is very slow even on a very fast machine with a powerful graphics card. This only occurs when the user marquee selects items and reaper needs to scroll to select outside the view-able arrange area. It's as if Reaper has to redraw the whole TCP each track track it scrolls through.

Could the recalculate zoom level be related to this slow GUI redraw while marquee selecting in a larger session?

If this above explanation is unclear I can post a quick video to highlight the issue.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #12
Tod

v6.05rc2 - March 3 2020

What happened to my midi editor grid lines? They are gone and I can't find a way to get them back.

Admittedly this started, or I should say first noticed with: reaper603+dev0131_x64-install

I've looked all over but can't find anything to get the grid lines back.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
WyattRice

Hi.
On akademie's test project "test-index1-only.RPP" rendered in Reaper, and imported in Sonoris is showing the first tracks ISRC at 0.

See this image.

https://stash.reaper.fm/38456/DDP-Index1Test.png

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Wyatt
Old 03-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post

When I Marquee select up or down in a larger reaper session I find that the GUI redraw is very slow even on a very fast machine with a powerful graphics card. This only occurs when the user marquee selects items and reaper needs to scroll to select outside the view-able arrange area. It's as if Reaper has to redraw the whole TCP each track track it scrolls through.
Not just slow. Like go make a sandwich, brew a cup of coffee, come back later slow.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #15
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Hi.
On akademie's test project "test-index1-only.RPP" rendered in Reaper, and imported in Sonoris is showing the first tracks ISRC at 0.

See this image.

https://stash.reaper.fm/38456/DDP-Index1Test.png

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Wyatt
Hi Wyatt, yes, that should be correct.

You can try yourself create a simple DDP in Sonoris (not using INDEX0 between songs), then re-import DDP back into Sonoris and you will see the same layout). EDIT: hmm, but as I look at your screenshot again, maybe you have only Sonoris DDP Player, right?

ISRC on first index of the track (if it has INDEX0, its on index0, if it does not have INDEX0 and has only INDEX1, then it is on index1). But first track has to have always INDEX0, that's why it looks like in your screenshot of Sonoris.

(...and Wyatt, as I was a bit busy with all that DDP testing in last days, I did not make any further testing of your "DDP Writer", yet)

Last edited by akademie; 03-03-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #16
akademie

OK, I spent a lot of hours tonight exporting / importing different DDPs to/from Reaper v6.05rc2 / Sonoris / HOFA.
(variants containing only INDEX1 markers and also containing both INDEX0 and INDEX1 markers, with ISRCs, EAN and other tags)

I think I can say that Genre was not imported into Sonoris (v3.0) because in DDP it was entered (by me) as "Pop Music" but (I think and also as stated in list of genres in DDP render plugin) correct is only "Pop". Unfortunately, Sonoris has listbox where they have "Pop Music" but they actually mean Pop and that's why it did not import, in v4.2 they have it listed already correctly as simple "Pop" only. That cought my eye and helped me to discover that I had not it right in DDP (in both examples)!
Interesting that in HOFA it worked even as Pop Music Nevermind.

That EAN/UPC thing... I took a screenshot of both PQDESCR files opened in notepad and marked differencies. As I already wrote, EAN/UPC should not be at the end, only at start, I think, and as it seems by comparing and also by warnings from DDPTOOLS (posted in earlier posts)...

https://stash.reaper.fm/38458/ean-in...vs-sonoris.png

Last edited by akademie; 03-04-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
v6.05rc2 - March 3 2020

What happened to my midi editor grid lines? They are gone and I can't find a way to get them back.

Admittedly this started, or I should say first noticed with: reaper603+dev0131_x64-install

I've looked all over but can't find anything to get the grid lines back.
You've accidentally hidden the grid, there's View: Toggle grid action in the action list, so not sure how you looked all over since it's quite easy to find
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:40 AM   #18
lucas_LCS

Default Button Sizing bug in Default Theme WALTER code

I found a button sizing bug in the default RTCONFIG for the TCP_IO button.
TCP layout 'A' has it sized @ 34.
TCP layout 'B' & 'C' have it sized @ 37 for the 100% section, but 34 for the 150% & 200% versions of those layouts.

::
Old 03-04-2020, 02:18 AM   #19
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
TCP layout 'B' & 'C' have it sized @ 37 for the 100% section, but 34 for the 150% & 200% versions of those layouts.

::
I can confirm this. I/O button are stretched in B and C @1x. Line #512 / #588.
good find!

Old 03-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #20
akademie

There is also "Region/Marker Manager" contents update bug in latest and also previous versions (I am not sure since when, but definitely v5.981+dev0812 and v5.79 are affected, 32bit here, Windows).

Its view/content is not updated when switching between unsaved(?) project tabs when no track is selected/highlighted in those projects.
As soon as any track in active project is selected, then content of region/marker manager is immediately updated, but only then.
Maybe it is a bit trickier to reproduce but as you know what to do and what not to do it's quite easy then.
I will try to record a GIF in a while.

In short, I think, that in some cases Reaper is not able to distinguish that projects in tabs are different. I mean, Open Region/Marker Manager (check to show Markers), use menu for all operations for easy reproducibility, create two new tabs, switch to first one, import some wave file (menu Insert media...), put a marker at end where the cursor is (Insert marker - prompt for name) and name it start. Switch to second tab, import the same wave file as in tab1 (again menu Insert media...), put a marker again at end where the cursor already is (using menu Insert Marker - promp for name) and name it e.g. cool. (Both tabs should have track not selected or selected, but both the same (media items will be selected by default, because it was just imported, that's ok).
Now look at Region/Marker Manager and click on first tab and then on second tab, and back and forth etc. It will show either start or cool name, but it won't change when switching the tabs
When you trim media item in one tab for example, then it's switching correctly. So it seems like something related to Undo maybe? when at that point those project are treated as the same and won't trigger refreshing...

I found it out when testing lots of DDP imports into temporary tabs and could not believe that markers are the same, then I noticed that it is actually a bug

EDIT: Adding screencapture, even simpler, no track or media needed, just new project tabs and set some markers...

https://stash.reaper.fm/38459/marker...h-bug-tabs.gif

Schwa, should I file a new Bug report for this issue or can it stay here for this "rc" cycle?

EDIT2:
Confirming that this issue has been fixed in v6.05+dev0306.
Thanks schwa.

Last edited by akademie; 03-07-2020 at 05:23 AM. Reason: adding info; typo; info2 added that it's fixed in v6.05+dev0306
Old 03-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #21
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Gosh. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2020, 05:15 AM   #22
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Undoing reaper edits causes Melodyne lost edits, and there are cases that result in lost Melodyne edits when it is used as item FX. So, still use with care, but it is certainly a big big leap forward! Hopefully, the remaining bugs will be fixed in the next build(s) and then we can trust and use ARA in Reaper with no fear
Thanks for the reply
Old 03-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #23
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You've accidentally hidden the grid, there's View: Toggle grid action in the action list, so not sure how you looked all over since it's quite easy to find
Ha ha, well that's one on me. I live in the midi editor, and have for 10 years, I don't
remember ever seeing the grid totally disappear, I thought the measure and beat grid were
always there.

Thanks Mario.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #24
poetnprophet

+ Takes: implode items into tracks only if at least half of the item overlaps [p=2207040]

Hello, can anyone explain this, is it default, is it an option? I use takes a lot, when it rolls out I don't want to be surprised!

thanks
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:42 AM   #25
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Go and test it. Your feedback on that will be very welcomed on that

Frankly, this feature sounds quite interesting....

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #26
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
Go and test it. Your feedback on that will be very welcomed on that

Frankly, this feature sounds quite interesting....
I don't have time to download and setup a whole new version of Reaper and test. I'm asking because looks like it's almost going to release and as I said, I use takes a lot and don't want to be surprised.

I hate when people say "go test it", like we have nothing better to do
Old 03-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #27
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
You do realize you are commenting on the pre-release thread, yes? Where users are expected to test the pre-releases and report back? So that the developers can use that info to fix bugs, modify behavior, etc. based on that feedback?

If that's not something you want to commit to then the release versions and their associated threads might be a better fit for you.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #28
poetnprophet

Yes, to your point users are expected to test this. So if anyone has tested it I'm asking out loud if they know the answer? I don't see the problem with that.

I'm not understanding why you felt the need to respond to MY question with an answer that is 100% unhelpful. There were lots of other choices you had, but you did that.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #29
Joe90

Quote:
Yes, to your point users are expected to test this. So if anyone has tested it I'm asking out loud if they know the answer? I don't see the problem with that.
There isn't a problem with that.

The problem was, when someone (very politely) suggested that you try testing it yourself, you responded by saying -

Quote:
Which does suggest you have actually misunderstood the entire point of this sub forum, in which case Klangfarben's response was absolutely justified.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #30
J Reverb

MIDI .....
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #31
poetnprophet

Ok, fair enough, I certainly didn't need to use such strong words. But, I stand by my actions... and I still haven't gotten my question answered
Old 03-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #32
Edgemeal

Quote:
Ok, fair enough, I certainly didn't need to use such strong words. But, I stand by my actions... and I still haven't gotten my question answered

Go to that URL [p=2207040] and read posts #26 and #28.

If thats important to you then maybe do a quick portable install of pre-release and test it, if not fixed or find a new bug related to pre-release then report it here.

EDIT: That fix has now been rolled into released version v6.05.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 03-06-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #33
poetnprophet

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I understand it fully but I never had an issue before so I think I'll be safe (this situation never happened to me). Thanks for chiming in