Old 11-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
Mr. Ted
Human being with feelings

Default Cleo's Back

Hey everyone, wanted to share this track I just finished in the basement studio.

This is a classic blues tune, straight ahead, funky 12-bar. Used to hear Mel Brown play it with The Homewreckers at Pop The Gator back in the '90s in Kitchener, ON, Canada.

This is my homage to those days. The song is simple, all errors are my own.

Thanks for listening,

Mr. Ted

https://soundcloud.com/mr-ted-828108207/cleos-back

Last edited by Mr. Ted; 11-24-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Mr. Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ted View Post
Hey everyone, wanted to share this track I just finished in the basement studio.

This is a classic blues tune, straight ahead, funky 12-bar. Used to hear Mel Brown play it with The Homewreckers at Pop The Gator back in the '90s in Kitchener, ON, Canada.

This is my homage to those days. The song is simple, all errors are my own.

Thanks for listening,

Mr. Ted

https://soundcloud.com/mr-ted-828108207/cleos-back
Hey!

Good stuff. Nice playing.

I'm not going to critique the sound because I'm not good at that. I can hear everything clearly, so that's usually good enough for me. I'm more concerned with feel and performance when I listen to anything. I'm sure others will help you more along those lines.

I do hear a problem with the general groove. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it sounds like the guitars/bass are playing a straight 4/4, but the drums can't decide if they want to play a straight 4/4 or a dotted 8th note shuffle. So, things clash. It's either got to be a shuffle or a straight 4. It sounds like it's trying to be both.

Other than that, I'm digging it.
Frank Lee Scarlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #3
Mr. Ted

Hey Man, thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, now that I've mixed it, uploaded it, balanced it, etc, I'm realizing I was dragging badly and playing it "too straight", especially at the beginning.

Ha ha - there's always something.

In all honesty I was focusing so much on the drum production (which is slowly getting more clear and more distinct) that I sort of let the "feel" go by the wayside.

Oh well, one thing at a time.

Thanks again for pointing that out - it's funny how once you make something it takes a while to truly "hear" it as others might.

Mr. Ted
Mr. Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ted View Post
Thanks again for pointing that out - it's funny how once you make something it takes a while to truly "hear" it as others might.
Yeah. I can't tell you how often someone points something out in one of my songs, and I think "I actually knew that, way back in the back of my mind. I just needed someone to point it out. Now, it's so obvious".
Frank Lee Scarlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:24 PM   #5
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
I do hear a problem with the general groove. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it sounds like the guitars/bass are playing a straight 4/4, but the drums can't decide if they want to play a straight 4/4 or a dotted 8th note shuffle. So, things clash. It's either got to be a shuffle or a straight 4. It sounds like it's trying to be both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
Yeah. I can't tell you how often someone points something out in one of my songs, and I think "I actually knew that, way back in the back of my mind. I just needed someone to point it out. Now, it's so obvious".

Have to agree with both of these posts from Frank Lee Scarlett

Loads of potential.
You'll get there
And getting there is half the fun !

Keep em coming
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote