Old 09-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Default Plexi glass to fix mic bleed in podcast

Hi, I'm starting a podcast and had a lot of trouble with mic bleed, because we're using condenser mics and sitting fairly close together. The bleed is so bad that it's hard to see if the owner of the mic is talking or it's the other podcasters. The room is treated pretty well with rigid fiber glass panels, but I'm wondering if we can put up a plexi glass screen between us to to fix the problem. We are playing a TTRPG and it's pretty important, that we'd be able to see each others faces. Would a plexi glass screen create more problems than it would solve?
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
WarrenG

You could try to experiment using two pieces in parallel with slight angles ( Or tops closer then the bottoms) so source of sound on both sides is reflected away from the sources. May sound a bit brittle though.

It sounds a though the mics are an Omni pattern if there is a switch to cardioid it would help greatly as well.
W

Last edited by WarrenG; 09-11-2022 at 12:42 PM.
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:12 AM   #3
Tiggerdyret

I'm pretty sure they were set to cardiode mode. We are 4 podcaster sitting around a table and we shout a lot. Thinking about it's not gonna work, since we'd need to do it for both the front and the sides, so the mics would basically sit in 4 tiny rooms. I fear it would sound awful.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:14 AM   #4
WarrenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
I'm pretty sure they were set to cardiode mode. We are 4 podcaster sitting around a table and we shout a lot. Thinking about it's not gonna work, since we'd need to do it for both the front and the sides, so the mics would basically sit in 4 tiny rooms. I fear it would sound awful.
Best bet for next time is using Shure SM-7 or Electro voice RE20 broadcast mics.
There are cheaper solutions just have to look around.
I never had much success with condenser mics in that situation, seem a bit over sensitive at times and pick up to many reflections.

I guess it depends on how often you do podcasts and the quality your after.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Warren
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
Tiggerdyret

Yeah, I'll get a couple of sm58 and use my sm57 with a pop filter. Then it's only the my Townsend labs condenser that will pick up the other's speech. I'll probably be able to truncate the silence on the 3 dynamic mics and then drag the media files to the condenser track so they delete the parts where the dynamic mic owners are speaking. That will give me a good starting point and I can clean up the mistakes that this methods courses fairly quickly. Hopefully fast enough that I can do it as I listen through the podcast to check on everything.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #6
Philbo King

Add a mid/side pair at the center of the space, translate it to stereo, and use it as the basis to add close mics in. That should record directional and Haas cues to allow locating the source more easily.