Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 11-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #1
buschag
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody with experience using LumaFusion and reaper together?

Nothing came back in the forum search results so I’ll try here. I’m editing a video in LumaFusion touch on my iPad. Ideally I would use reaper, but my main computer is with the moving company in storage. The video editing on the iPad works well enough, however, the audio editing tools in that program aren’t very useable. My laptop is too old and slow to edit video, but I think she’s got just enough left in her to edit a few audio tracks. I’m curious if anybody has ever used the “export audio track” in LumaFusion and imported it Into reaper? If so, do you have any tips on making sure it all lines up?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:07 AM   #2
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
Nothing came back in the forum search results so I’ll try here. I’m editing a video in LumaFusion touch on my iPad. Ideally I would use reaper, but my main computer is with the moving company in storage. The video editing on the iPad works well enough, however, the audio editing tools in that program aren’t very useable. My laptop is too old and slow to edit video, but I think she’s got just enough left in her to edit a few audio tracks. I’m curious if anybody has ever used the “export audio track” in LumaFusion and imported it Into reaper? If so, do you have any tips on making sure it all lines up?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
I do not know about this app but exporting in an uncompressed format like WAV should make synchronization very easy. What type of audio edit you need that LumaFusion doesn't already have?
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:14 AM   #3
buschag

Just overall compression and ducking. Some hi pass filtering and other automation. It’s so much easier to do in reaper than in LumaFusion.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Are you sure it won’t work just to load the video file into Reaper? Do all the video stuff and render it out. Load that into Reaper. Don’t even open the video window. Mess with the audio all you want and render it back out. ???
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
buschag

I’d still have to export separate audio tracks. There’s a music track then two separate dialogue tracks. I’ll be trying it soon. Just curious if anyone else has done it before.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #6
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
I’d still have to export separate audio tracks. There’s a music track then two separate dialogue tracks. I’ll be trying it soon. Just curious if anyone else has done it before.
I've done similar stuff with a 10 years old laptop with only 4 gigs of ram.
1- Make sure you have a video track with unprocessed audio dialog.
2- Make a sound track of your liking
3- Synchronize soundtrack with video based on sound only
4- render video + new soundtrack (ignoring audio from the video track)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #7
buschag

So I got all my stuff from the moving company finally and have my m1 mac back. I edited my video in luma touch and exported audio and video separately and imported to reaper. Worked like a dream being able to ride the background tracks on a fader. Exported originally to m4v and render time was very fast but 45 minutes of video and audio edits was less than a gig. Tried another render using .mov setting and it was still pretty fast considering the file size (the m1 mac is impressive) and the file was 17 gigs. Obviously this video looks much better.... so to my question..... I don’t know anything about video editing, but what is the best compression app and settings to allow me to send a usb drive with the video on it for family to plug it into their tv and watch a HD video? Seems like 4g is largest for usb transfer. Like I said I’m not hip to any video knowledge but I figure this forum is more helpful regarding all aspects of life. Merry Christmas and thanks!
Old 12-24-2022, 03:02 PM   #8
buschag

Please disregard. I ran it through handbrake and it compressed from 19 to 2.5 gigs. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #9
papagirafe

With the latest version of ffmpeg module (installation in Reaper documented on Reaper Blog) I use h264 compression with excellent visual results and small file size similar to what you get with post compression using Handbrake.