Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #1
IDDQDSound
Human being with feelings

Default Writing Parameter Modulation (via sidechain) to envelopes

Hello!

I wish there was a way to write parameter modulation onto the envelope of the parameter being controlled. Let's say I'm controlling the rate of my delay using the incoming audio signal via side-chain. Works well!

What I'd love to do though, is to then be able to set my automation mode to write, and have that parameter's values written to the envelope lane as if I was tweaking the knob manually. This would be awesome as it'll allow you to generate envelopes very quickly, and then disable the parameter modulation and fine-tune the envelope.

There are workarounds if the param is linked or modulated via LFO but if you're modulating with audio signal, there's not currently a way of writing that afaik.
IDDQDSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
vitalker

For some reason I thought this is already possible. Even if you touch a parameter, it still won't record any automation. Yes, it makes perfect sense.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM   #3
IDDQDSound

I just thought of a workaround but it takes forever:
-JS Loudness Meter on the audio signal controlling the Parameter.
-Have it write out the loudness reading as volume envelope.
-Draw Automation item around the envelope. Drag it to the other parameter.
-Adjust the baseline & amplitude until desired result.

This work alright but takes too long and if you're limiting the min & max volume, you need a double gate set-up to write that to JS Loudness Meter, and of course, you get less control since you don't have attack and release. Best you can do is select all envelope points and adjust their curve. Much easier if this arming and writing them was possible
Old 11-28-2022, 10:12 PM   #4
TonE

Did you try latch mode? Not sure what is not working? Latch mode, touch the parameter you linked to once (so automation item is generated), and it writes here.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:06 AM   #5
IDDQDSound

I tried write mode earlier and it didn't work. It did now! Thanks and sorry! The reason I got tripped up is that when you're in write/latch/touch/latch preview and you physically move a parameter, the parameter becomes armed and visible. With Param Mod this doesn't happen, but if you manually arm and make the envelope visible it does write it. My bad
Old 11-29-2022, 12:13 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Did you try latch mode? Not sure what is not working? Latch mode, touch the parameter you linked to once (so automation item is generated), and it writes here.
Interesting idea! Still the FR is relevant.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:17 AM   #7
TonE

And if you want to leave writing further, stop, play.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:20 AM   #8
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDQDSound View Post
The reason I got tripped up is that when you're in write/latch/touch/latch preview and you physically move a parameter, the parameter becomes armed and visible. With Param Mod this doesn't happen, but if you manually arm and make the envelope visible it does write it. My bad
Probably there are some secret Reaper settings, where you could tell if Reaper should write even to non-visible envelopes, not sure, but could be more than 50% I guess.

UPDATE:
You could try this: Preferences, Automation, Hidden envelopes: Allow writing automation (checked)

Last edited by TonE; 11-29-2022 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added preferences setting.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDQDSound View Post
I wish there was a way to write parameter modulation onto the envelope of the parameter being controlled. Let's say I'm controlling the rate of my delay using the incoming audio signal via side-chain. Works well!

There are workarounds if the param is linked or modulated via LFO but if you're modulating with audio signal, there's not currently a way of writing that afaik.
Can you share a few more ideas what could be modulated using live audio signal, like playing guitar/bass as in your case for example?
- delay rate
... ?

This thread can get a collection of cool ideas for live-audio-modulating as well, if Reaper users participate. And we can check each time, best way of routing or using Reaper possibilities how it could be done using "best possible approaches", currently. You never know if tomorrow some magic script will appear, doing all this automatically for you.