COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
juemon
Human being with feelings

Default Hearing others twice with a delay in a 2-part canon

This might have probably come up in the other threads, but as I was trying out Ninjam today and my collaborator on the other end was hearing me twice...essentially as a 2-part canon with the set interval. (More precisely, the first iteration occurring at the set interval on Ninjam and another iteration with the same interval later).

I suspected that my collaborator might have been hearing it through hardware monitoring (Presonus Audiobox USB 96), but with both of us using headsets, it is unlikely that I am feeding back on her end because I was being fed into the system agin from there. To make it more interesting, I was hearing her only once.

Could someone explain what might have gone wrong?
juemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
pljones

It sounds like someone had speakers playing that were being picked up by a mic (you, as you were not experiencing the problem).
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
juemon

pljones, unfortunately that was not the case as I was monitoring only through my headphones.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
pljones

I've had people say that only to be amazed when they take them off to hear their speakers are playing .

But you'll need to find where in the signal chain you have feedback. That means isolating each part. You've not said in full what your set up is, so you'll need to do that -- even just listing everything might help you spot something.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
juemon

Yes, I suspected the speakers but they were turned off.
I'm trying to isolate the problems like you said.
My synth is routed to the RME interface and there is no other channel in ninjam. There are no other instruments at play and it is a very simple setup.

The only audio signals that are sent over the network are strictly going through the ninjam track, correct?

I will keep trying....thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
pljones

The only way audio from your location gets to a NINJAM server is via the NINJAM client, yes .

So if you mute the channel prior to the client, you should hear nothing from your own set up (because you only hear yourself through NINJAM). You should still hear anyone else playing but they should also NOT hear you.

If, in this case, you still hear yourself, you need to check your signal path to make sure it's only passing through NINJAM. If the others can hear you, you've something strange happening and need to check the routing to the client.

Next (once the above are working), if you mute yourself within the client, you're still being sent to the server and out to others. So you shouldn't hear your sound (because you only hear yourself through NINJAM) -- but others should hear you.

If in that second test, you can hear yourself, you've a second input source somewhere (maybe you, maybe elsewhere) - but that doesn't immediately sound like the problem here.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
juemon

After going through my signal chain, somehow audio was bleeding into ninjam through my audio interface.
I had to reset the interface and the issue was resolved. Thanks, pljones!
Old 08-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #8
pljones

Great to hear it's fixed!