Just discovered hard delta-t mode, it's my new default

EDIT: I think I would like a way to snap delta to 0 when beat time changes, hmm
Old 04-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #42
bang
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
Just discovered hard delta-t mode, it's my new default
cool! can you describe how you are using it a bit? that's not something i do much. it's helpful to hear about different use cases.
Quote:
EDIT: I think I would like a way to snap delta to 0 when beat time changes, hmm
yeah. *is* there any general way in Reaper to send a sequence of control messages to an fx plugin?

the way i've done this sort of thing is to write a custom Reascript and bind that to a control in the actions dialog. it works, but is a bit awkward to setup. i'm working on a little prototype Reascript that folks can tweak to do custom wayback control sequences like that. but please let me know if there's an easier way folks.

also, quick heads up in case anyone is into the metas yet. the next wayback release swaps short & longpress in meta-alt, which makes foot controlled warping easier. that's coming rsn... /dan

ps- next release also fixes a visual bug where the dots & circles were not aligned right in Reaper 6. (i've been developing in v5.9x.) i'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned that. please let me know if you see anything odd or awkward.
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:53 AM   #43
ThrashJazzAssassin

Been using the \ ; ' 1 2 4 keyboard shortcuts the most, with the delta min/max fb states set to their extremities. wayback is a send, so dry-fx mix is maxed. Sync on.

Press y to loop 16 beats. Metronome in headphones. When I hit \, wayback is in hidden record mode and I can doodle away, until I decide I want a loop, so I'll hit ' which will kick in the loop and stop recording. Then because of delta-t mode, I know that if I quickly shorten the loop, it will loop the previous number of beats I select, and I'll know where I am.

Was thinking it would be nice if I could simply chose a 'beats' or even 'beat time' parameter for the loop to kick in and stop recording.

I've noticed that I can get a lot of hard-loop-cut clicking using it this way.

Been experimenting with the different modes. the meta dub/loop/alt buttons are momentary but act as toggles so I can't use them remotely without looking at the gui, and their keyboard shortcuts ( , . / ) don't seem to work. There is no reset slider either, so can't reset remotely.

Not sure what alt does, nor the Meta states and warp modes. It's hard to predict what their going to do most of the time. flip is fun Maybe will make more sense when the gui dots and circles line up.

Also, got some high praise from a looper master
Old 04-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #44
bang

hello all! 'concentric ease' release v0.95rc is up on stash: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38738/wayback.zip.

this release:

- changes the meta alt logic to use single press for meta warp+ state, and longpress for meta advanced+, because warps are more common than extend.

- fixes misaligned dots/circles in ccsliders in Reaper6.

- tweaks the beats shortcuts in goto mode to support 5 beats. 5/8 echos are fun! :^)

- adds "c" shortcut to toggle warp copy.

- adds "_"/"+" shortcuts for -/+ 1 beats.

- tweaks the meta back/forth behavior: warp 1x in basic+, 1/4x in warp+ & 1/128x in adv+. lazy 1/4 & 1/128 warps don't change the current warp type.

- has better metaz docs & an updated quickref.

take care everyone, & enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 11-07-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #45
bang

real, live metaz!
metaz

( this bit from the latest README briefly summarizes the metaz evolution & design philosophy: )

the full set of wayback controls are a sort of toolkit for creating custom live looping controller schemes. 'looping' is multifaceted. there are various operational strategies and techniques. the main wayback controls are all the basic parts for purpose built looping schemes, but by themselves are not well suited to live looping.

the meta controls, or metaz, are one strategy for looping built on top of the main controls. metaz are extremely minimal controls for full featured looping, with variable feedback, overdubbing, looping, warp, extend and synchronized warps. they are an evolution of the foot controller scheme i've been using for several years now, pre-wayback. for portability and simplicity i chose to make 3 buttons and a pedal work for my looping. limitation is freedom! less *is* more. :^) for me, fewer foot controls are compact, quick, and comprehensible.

the basic metaz idea is to make the most essential operations always available with the pedal, and use one button to select alternate operations for the other two. so meta delta gives always on control of overdubbing, feedback and replace. meta alt selects from 4 meta states that determine the operation of meta dub & loop: basic+, advanced+, warp+ & sync+. in basic+ dub & loop toggle overdubbing & looping. in advanced+ dub starts extend and loop controls various alternate loop modes. in warp+ dub & loop do 1x warps back & forth. and sync+ makes dub & loop set the position for subsequent sync'd warps.

Last edited by bang; 04-25-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: tweaks
Old 04-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #46
sai'ke

Would be cool to hear a recording of one of you guys using it live
Old 04-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #47
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Would be cool to hear a recording of one of you guys using it live
hmmm. the first half decent thing i did with wayback happens to be on the web:

https://ambientaidforaustralia.com/track/raindance

that's from a nice benefit ambient compiliation put together by an emusic web radio station i listen to: https://radiospiral.net/. they asked for contributions, so... enjoy! /dan

ps- i should write up a description of the rig for that track.
pps- big thanks for the feedback TJA! i'm working on a reply...
Old 04-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #48
ThrashJazzAssassin

The last 3 tracks I posted here are mostly wayback inspired

https://soundcloud.com/thrash68o/tracks
Old 04-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #49
vsgrt

This is utterly fantastic. Thank you so much!
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #50
sai'ke

Neat!

It's nice hearing it in action.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #51
bang

Quote:
The last 3 tracks I posted here are mostly wayback inspired[...]
xgood stuff TJA! dynamic and groovy. it flows with chaos. respect! curious about your rig: sources sent to wayback, control schemes, etc?

Quote:
Been using the \ ; ' 1 2 4 keyboard shortcuts the most, with the delta min/max fb states set to their extremities. wayback is a send, so dry-fx mix is maxed. Sync on.

Press y to loop 16 beats. Metronome in headphones. When I hit \, wayback is in hidden record mode and I can doodle away, until I decide I want a loop, so I'll hit ' which will kick in the loop and stop recording. Then because of delta-t mode, I know that if I quickly shorten the loop, it will loop the previous number of beats I select, and I'll know where I am.

Was thinking it would be nice if I could simply chose a 'beats' or even 'beat time' parameter for the loop to kick in and stop recording.

I've noticed that I can get a lot of hard-loop-cut clicking using it this way.
is this is all in hard loop mode? any particular reason to record in a 16 beat loop?

there are a couple of gotchas with hard delta-t. it requires exact timing. so if you shorten a loop just after a transient there will be a blip. it shouldn't click though. i try to set loops at a syncopation just before a beat.

you can also get clicks if the short loop is near the start of the 16 beat loop. hard delta-t repositions the loop bounds backwards from the current play position. so near the start of the 16 beat loop the new short loop can cross the start of the 16 beat loop, where there will be a click. work around this by setting cycles to 1x and reset!

another possible click source i should have mentioned is keyboard control of delta. when you switch between "" & "'" feedback is sharply changed, and can click. the 'feedback xfade' setting fixes this, but defaults to 0.0. i should change that. try a very small value to fix clicks. larger values are for creative use (and make the main feedback control a little odd. :^)
Quote:
Been experimenting with the different modes. the meta dub/loop/alt buttons are momentary but act as toggles so I can't use them remotely without looking at the gui, and their keyboard shortcuts ( , . / ) don't seem to work. There is no reset slider either, so can't reset remotely.

Not sure what alt does, nor the Meta states and warp modes. It's hard to predict what their going to do most of the time. flip is fun Maybe will make more sense when the gui dots and circles line up.
how do you mean 'remotely'? i hope the new metaz docs clarify things? kb shortcuts for meta dub/loop/alt should work, and are supposed to be foot controlable without visual feedback. can you check out the new docs and tell me more specifically what's not working for you? newish kb shortcut "!" does reset!

i wonder if it would work for you to silent record in echo mode? then meta loop will set the exact loop point like hard delta-t does. but i'm not clear enough on your techniques to say. love that you are finding new, creative ways to play with wayback!
Quote:
Also, got some high praise from a looper master
[...]
sweet! :^) i wonder what he was reacting to specifically? thanks for the mention! /dan

ps- downloads counter on stash seems broke. just want to be sure folks are getting the new update ok?
Old 04-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #52
ThrashJazzAssassin

I am using the sliders/VST host parameters to control everything in my rig. Open-Stage-Control hooks to reaper via OSC and gives me remote touchscreen access to them - with feedback. It usually works great but every plugin dev seems to have a unique way of dealing with VST host parameters they're not always just used for automation.

Thanks for the notes on delta-t mode. I've noticed that the triangimation topper triangles can disappear when changing beats in this mode combined with soft/hard/wet loop mode.

the 'feedback xfade' setting fixed my clicks! Thank you so much.

, . / seem to only work once for me then stop working
Old 04-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #53
bang

Quote:
I am using the sliders/VST host parameters to control everything in my rig. Open-Stage-Control hooks to reaper via OSC and gives me remote touchscreen access to them - with feedback. It usually works great but every plugin dev seems to have a unique way of dealing with VST host parameters they're not always just used for automation.
aha! so you do everything with an OSC touchscreen. that clears a few things up. metaz are designed to pack a lot of functionality into a few simple foot controls. so meta dub/loop/alt have complex, modal behaviors, and no control 'value' as such. but you can use separate modeless touch controls for dub/loop/warp/etc. meta delta is simpler and more immediately useful. are you controlling delta by OSC somehow? or using the wayback keyboard shortcuts? btw reset! is labelled 'set cycles' in the sliders, which is confusing. i'll fix that next release. and i'd like wayback to work well with touchscreens, so as you find missing bits let me know.

Quote:
the 'feedback xfade' setting fixed my clicks! Thank you so much.
oh good.

Quote:
, . / seem to only work once for me then stop working
if "' ; \" work i can't see how ", . /" wouldn't. is the grey/cyan keyboard focus indicator in the top right corner on? does it go off somehow?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #54
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
and i'd like wayback to work well with touchscreens, so as you find missing bits let me know.
����

Quote:
if "' ; " work i can't see how ", . /" wouldn't. is the grey/cyan keyboard focus indicator in the top right corner on? does it go off somehow?
It's weird, I press , . or / and it works once, but never again. Even after a full recompile. When I swap them out for other keys they work. Maybe a REAPER bug or jsfx limitation. WIN10_64 REAPER64 6.01 wayback0.95rc

EDIT: fresh install of reaper on other PC = same thing & no loss of keyboard focus. Must just be win version. I wouldn't have thought it's a prob with your code if it survives a recompile.

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 04-29-2020 at 02:16 PM.
ThrashJazzAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #55
bang

Quote:
It's weird, I press , . or / and it works once, but never again. Even after a full recompile. When I swap them out for other keys they work. Maybe a REAPER bug or jsfx limitation. WIN10_64 REAPER64 6.01 wayback0.95rc
have looked at this and still can't find the problem. maybe a windoze thing? any other winfolk who could try this?:

- reset to factory default
- click in wayback window
- confirm top-right grey keyboard focus indicator on
- does '////' toggle the gold meta warp indicator ring around settings button? if not, does focus indicator change?
- set feedback to 1. does 'z' shortcut work to momentarily cut feedback level?

working on a new release with better support for custom control schemes, rsn... be well everyone, /dan
Old 04-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #56
sir Nowt

Quote:
....any other winfolk who could try this?:

- reset to factory default
- click in wayback window
- confirm top-right grey keyboard focus indicator on
- does '////' toggle the gold meta warp indicator ring around settings button? if not, does focus indicator change?
- set feedback to 1. does 'z' shortcut work to momentarily cut feedback level?
Same problem as TJA here.... '////' doesn't toggle the meta warp ring, only enables it, once. It wont re-enable after resetting to factory default, or recompiling, without deleting/re-adding the plugin. Same behaviour with ',.' too. WIN10_64 REAPER64 6.09 wayback0.95rc

Yes, the 'z' shortcut momentarily cuts feedback to 0.12, with no problems.

I've not spent long with this yet.... but I see it's potential. Thanks!
sir Nowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #57
sir Nowt

This is great fun. I could easily find myself wondering where hours have gone just running arpeggios up and down the guitar.

The ",./" keys have the same problem with wbmux (as in the wayback plug). I also had a temporary problem with keyboard control of.. beats 11+ "q-p", fade/clr "x c", and the back/forth "b n" refused to work, yet beats 1-10 "1-0", four of the five delta values ";[]" and zap "z" worked fine. The "'" key, (delta=0) doesn't work. Weird.

Yet now, (except for the ",./'" keys) everything works fine and I'm unable to reproduce that behavior. God knows what happened.

Regardless, there are zero problems when triggering by MIDI. A little more practice and I'll upload something.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #58
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir Nowt View Post
Same problem as TJA here.... [...]
thanks sir Nowt & TJA for checking on this. found the problem: gfx_getchar(ch) not working with non-alphabetic keys on windows. have a workaround, and new bits for custom control schemes, and fixes & tweaks. lotta moving parts these days. :^) new release asap... /dan
Old 05-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #59
sir Nowt

Awesome! Thank you.

Just been trying out the wav import..... I feel using the right file/s could help lots in terms of knowing whats happening where. It works fine, although I had to change the project from 48khz to 44.1 for it to sit nicely.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:10 AM   #60
ThrashJazzAssassin

Just noticed that it's possible to decrease time to 0.00s, which causes a large CPU spike
Old 05-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #61
MRT

Played around with this for a while and got some pretty cool results.
But I have no idea whats going on or how to duplicate any of the things I was doing.
Any chance of a video going over the basic controls?

Call it a primer for idiots
MRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #62
bang

wayback, a fluid live looping delay

hi folks! 'macro-sonics workaround' release v0.96rc is up on stash:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38738/wayback.zip.

couple of significant changes this time. there is a new 'macros' system for small, composite control sequences triggered by simple Js sliders/controls. the last 18 Js sliders are reserved for triggering macros. there are keyboard shortcuts that trigger the macros, "a-lA-L". macros are defined in a single new file, wbmacros.jsfx-inc, so custom versions for particular wayback use cases are an option.

there are 6 default macros included in this release. several are fairly basic:

- macro l, loop toggle, slider #55, shortcut "l"
toggles looping; echo-soft; simple modeless version of basic meta-loop
- macro k, dub toggle, #54, "k"
toggles overdubbing; in level & hard-wet if looping; modeless basic meta-dub
- macro j, copywarp-dub, #53, "j"
copy warp forth 1x + turn overdubbing on; repeat for a series of sonic
checkpoints; "k" ends dub; econo undo, & so much more! :^)
- macro h, extend-dub, #52, "h"
toggle extend; extend on enables dubbing; extend off leaves dubbing on
across the new loop end; "hk" is typical
then there are a couple of fun ones:

- macro a, stealth loop toggle, #47, "a"
toggles echo-soft looping & meta delta 1-0 together; echo & delta 1 does
silent record in big buffer; soft & 0 enable looping and fx output, at
current delay time/beats; set beats prior to s-loop on if desired; time
s-loop on at exact end of desired loop; after s-loop on, warp back 1x for
deja vu(s); this macro is a one key version of the 'silent record' technique
that TJA has been using.
- macro s, stealth syncwarp-rec, #48, "s"
does syncwarp forth 1x; when syncwarp occurs, enable dubbing & set meta
delta to 1 for silent record in a new loop; syncwarp gives time to
anticipate dub on; sort of solves the 'b part' problem; magic
this release also fixes the broken meta dub/loop/alt keyboard shortcuts on window. these shortcuts are now just triggers. normal clicks on meta alt toggle basic+/warp+ as before. instead of the longpress logic, double tap the meta alt shortcut "/" for meta advanced+. there is a new shortcut "?" to select meta sync+. longpress & double clicks are both supported for external meta alt control.

other changes in this release:

- fixes a cpu spike when delay time set to 0. this was a bug in the scanner ui code. with extremely small delays there were just too many dots! so no dots if delay time is too low.

- tweaked the kb meta delta shortcuts to be more reliable

- changed the internal label for the 'reset!' control to match the gui

- made feedback xfade default to a small value to declick sharp changes in feedback from the meta delta kb shortcuts.

- misc code cleanups & minor fixes

hope this all makes some sort of sense. macros are pretty tweaky stuff, and haven't got a lot of use here yet. thanks for all the good feedback! enjoy! /dan
Old 05-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #63
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir Nowt View Post
Just been trying out the wav import..... I feel using the right file/s could help lots in terms of knowing whats happening where. It works fine, although I had to change the project from 48khz to 44.1 for it to sit nicely.
wav import/export is *very* basic. current sample rate and cycles-reset! change the wav's. you can do a wav export and using that file as a template for import. thanks again for your feedback and kind words sir Nowt.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #64
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT View Post
Any chance of a video going over the basic controls?
i'm afraid that's not likely. :^P i'm a text guy, & videos are hard. i'd suggest starting with meta delta. there's an app note for delta above, and in the README. you can use a pedal or the keyboard shortcuts: ';[]\. it's a nice single control looping option. and i will be doing more app notes and licecaps when i can.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #65
bang

Quote:
Just noticed that it's possible to decrease time to 0.00s, which causes a large CPU spike
thanks for this report TJA. fixed in new release.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #66
IXix

Cool! None of this makes much sense to my poor addled brain but I know I can have some kind of fun with it so it doesn't matter.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #67
ThrashJazzAssassin

🙂🤨🤔😮😵🤯
Old 05-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #68
bang

hi folks! 'minor macro tweaks' release v0.961rc is up on stash:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38738/wayback.zip

this is a minor release that just tweaks a couple of the new macros to work better:

stealth syncwarp-rec is now syncwarp-clear-dub (macro-s). the intent of syncwarp-clear-dub is to start recording a new 'b part' loop when the current loop ends. after syncwarping +1, this macro clears the new loop and starts dubbing. this gives a seamless transition from initially recording a 'b part' in the empty loop to overdubbing. the old syncwarp-rec method sets delta-1-replace to overwrite prior audio in the new loop completely, aka silent record. this makes a new loop from only the final cycle of input. warp-rec can still be done by setting meta delta-1-replace during the initial warp-clear-dub loop.

copywarp-dub is now just copywarp (macro-j). copywarp is useful on it's own, and dub is easily added using macro-k-dub. (the old combo is still available as macro-j2.)

these last few releases have got a bit into the weeds i'm afraid. i'm working on how to present and document macros. i know *way* too much about wayback. and macros are for control schemes i'm not personally using. so thanks for the feedback folks! it really helps. i'm hoping to do a few smaller, incremental releases to get a good set of default macros in place. ideas welcome. be well everyone... /dan

Last edited by bang; 05-05-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-13-2020, 04:55 AM   #69
Vagelis

This is such a nice and clever delay, awesome work, very useful for stuttering!

I'd like to suggest a couple of things if possible

One of them is about the delay slider, not with sync, where when we move it closer to the minimum values, it's difficult to listen smaller values until it goes 0. It would be nice if it had an exponential curve or something that would allow to change smaller values while we drag longer the slider. Because when i automate the slider with parameter modulation, is a bit difficult to modulate between smaller values to make the sound stutter.

One more thing is if we could move the position with a slider too, except forward and backward switch. This could give some nice results like pseudostretching.

And last suggestion it would be great if we could change the pitch as well.

Thank you a lot, i'm loving it
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #70
bang

hello all! 'kinder, simpler macros' version 0.962rc is up on stash:

this release primarily finishes breaking up the metaz into simpler macros. metaz are compact and powerful, but not a good introduction to wayback looping. i am working on an app note that will cover basic wayback looping with the new macros. current macros are listed below.

other changes in this release:

- added Js slider #38 to trigger forced meta delta deltas. the normal meta delta control is design to operate from a foot pedal, and is only effective when changed.
- improved logic to blink trigger button controls
- reworked the meta alt+ logic again. back to single click for meta adv+, longpress or double click for warp+. meta advanced+ state is now used by some macros, and needs easiest access. made meta-adv+ loop & dub operations configurable in wbmacros. some metaz bugfixes too.
- removed the kb shortcuts for beats 10, 11, 13-15. these are uncommon, and can be set when necessary using the beats -/+1 (_/+) and 2x/0.5x (m/M) shortcuts.
- fixed a ghost syncwarp bug
- tweaked the wbmux remote control logic

kind regards to all, /dan

current macros:
Code:
macro a, stealth syncwarp-clear-dub, Js slider #47, shortcut "a"
  does syncwarp forth 1x; when syncwarp occurs, clears the new loop and starts
dubbing in a new empty loop; syncwarp gives time to anticipate dub on; this kind of solves the 'b part problem.

macro d, sync here, #48, "d"
  set sync point immediately, no warp
  adv+: set basic warp type; ends sync warping

macro f, resync, #49, "f"
  sets resync so next warp sets the sync point
  adv+: set sync warp type; leaves warp point at prior position

macro g, warp back 2x, #50, "g"
  adv+: warp back 0.25x

macro h, warp forth 2x, #51, "h"
  adv+: warp forth 0.25x

macro j, copywarp, #53, "j"
  copy warp forth 1x; repeat for a series of sonic checkpoints

macro k, extend-dub, #54, "k"
  toggle extend; extend on enables dubbing; extend off leaves dubbing on across
the new loop end; "hk" is typical ending

macro l, stealth loop toggle, #55, "l"
  toggles echo-soft looping & meta delta 1-0 together; echo & delta 1 does
silent record in big buffer; soft & 0 enable looping and fx output, at current
delay time/beats; set beats prior to s-loop on if desired; time s-loop on at
exact end of desired loop; after s-loop on, warp back 1x for deja vu(s)

macro j2, loop tweak, #62, "J"
  adjusts loop mode; toggle soft & hard; in echo, repro; in wet, inlev off, then hard

macro k2, dub toggle, #63, "K"
  toggles overdubbing; in level & hard-wet if looping; modeless basic meta-dub

macro l2, loop toggle, slider #64, shortcut "L"
  toggles looping; echo-soft; simple modeless version of basic meta-loop
Old 05-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #71
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
This is such a nice and clever delay, awesome work, very useful for stuttering!
thanks! is there any particular flavor of stuttering you are using? how does it work briefly?

Quote:
One of them is about the delay slider, not with sync, where when we move it closer to the minimum values, it's difficult to listen smaller values until it goes 0. It would be nice if it had an exponential curve or something that would allow to change smaller values while we drag longer the slider. Because when i automate the slider with parameter modulation, is a bit difficult to modulate between smaller values to make the sound stutter.
an exponential delay slider might be harder to automate programatically. in the gui, shift-dragging delay time gives millisecond control. for remote control and modulation you can use a 2nd slider that parameter modulates the delay time slider with scaling for fine control. try one of the spare macro sliders set to modulate delay time with scaling at ~1.564% for a 1 sec range.

Quote:
One more thing is if we could move the position with a slider too, except forward and backward switch. This could give some nice results like pseudostretching.
that would be fun, and might work as a macro down the line. you could try setting a small warp amount (use shift for fine control) and then do a bunch of repeated warp back/forths.

Quote:
And last suggestion it would be great if we could change the pitch as well.
native wayback pitch shifting is not an option given the internal design. but you could put a pitch shifter in the external feedback fx loop for some big fun.

Quote:
Thank you a lot, i'm loving it
cool! enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 05-14-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: correct scaling
Old 05-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #72
bang

hi folks! one of the nifty macro bits is that it's fairly easy to swap in custom or experimental versions of wbmacros.jsfx-inc. the attachment adds a warp slider macro a2, #56. instead of triggering a function, the warp slider accepts continuous input values from 0.0 to 1.0, and immediately goto-warps to the proportionate position in the big buffer. slider controlled warps! not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind Vagelis? but this was easy. so just for fun... :^) enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 05-16-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: zap old attach
Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #73
bang

hi again folks! wbmacros tweaks, fwiw:

after some use testing, added a 2nd "s2" macro for fine control of slider warps. so assign controllers to 2 Jsfx sliders, #56 macro a2 & #57 macro s2. the a2 controller will warp across the entire big buffer, and the s2 controller will warp an additional delay timed cycle on top of a2. so a2 gets to an interesting bit of the big buffer, and s2 shifts a loop across one cycle from there. fun! :^)

this wbmacros also 'completes' the easy keyboard macros, adding a new macro s, 'warp here now'. :^) in a loop mode, this macro lazy warps back so that the new loop ends at the current output position. this shifts a loop back to end when this macro is triggered, which is like the 'hard delta-t' setting, without the delta-t. perhaps useful when loop boundaries matter.

in echo modes 'warp here now' is simpler, and just triggers a goto-warp to the current warp offset. repeated goto-warps in echo just reset the delay to the same warp position, for manual stuttering perhaps. synergy alert: slider warps in echo mode can set a good point for warp here now to repeatedly return to.

big wayback tip: use reset! to make the big circular buffer smaller than the default 64 seconds. this makes the scanner less crowded and easier to understand. reset! is based on the current delay time, so set that first. then set cycles to ~4-16x to taste. then reset!

hope this makes some sort of sense. questions welcome. still working on the wayback looping basics app note. kind regards to all, /dan

Last edited by bang; 12-08-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #74
Vagelis

Quote:
hi folks! one of the nifty macro bits is that it's fairly easy to swap in custom or experimental versions of wbmacros.jsfx-inc. the attachment adds a warp slider macro a2, #56. instead of triggering a function, the warp slider accepts continuous input values from 0.0 to 1.0, and immediately goto-warps to the proportionate position in the big buffer. slider controlled warps! not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind Vagelis? but this was easy. so just for fun... :^) enjoy! /dan
Hi Bang! thanks a lot i just tried it and i really like this new addition with the warp slider

However was not what i had in mind. What i meant was, when i freeze the buffer to be able and go back and forth to the buffer with a slider instead of hitting the switches back n forth.

So if the slider has values from 0-1, 0 will be the start of the buffer and 1 the end of it. Because moving the position back n forth inside the buffer in realtime with a slider, would be really handy to create strech kind of effects And also they could be modulatable.
Also having the new warp addition to jump values with the slider too, would be really useful. In a matter of fact, it could work like a slicer, quantizing the position and jumping to specific length.

Other than that I like the new additions, really nice work!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #75
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
However was not what i had in mind. What i meant was, when i freeze the buffer to be able and go back and forth to the buffer with a slider instead of hitting the switches back n forth.

So if the slider has values from 0-1, 0 will be the start of the buffer and 1 the end of it. Because moving the position back n forth inside the buffer in realtime with a slider, would be really handy to create strech kind of effects
hmmm. i'm not understanding something. macro a2 from 0-1 shifts the *loop* postion from beginning to end of the big buffer. do you want that quantized like back and forth? or are you wanting to shift the *playback* position? that would be hard. i was getting some pseudo-stretching with the finer range of macro s2, but maybe not what you have in mind. wayback is not designed to do real variable speed speed playback. what you get from sliding the loop around is more like a granular fx due to the crossfades.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #76
Vagelis

I tried the a2 macro and indeed it creates what you 're saying, nice .
And yes i was referring to the playback position, i thought that it might be designed for this as well. But my fault, sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification..
Old 05-17-2020, 02:40 AM   #77
ThrashJazzAssassin

Some weird things happening here when cycles is 1.00x

reproduce: change time - reset! - repeat

Old 05-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #78
bang

hello all! 'yet another tiny tweaks' release 0.963rc is up on stash:

this release is mostly fixes and small tweaks:

- fixes wrong displayed delay time value after too large setting when not sync'd
- adds 'slider warp' and 'slider warp 1x' macros (a2/s2): continuous slider controlled warps
- adds 'warp here now' macro "s": if looping, reset loop end to current position. else goto-warp
- detects windows and uses better font sizes
- adds warp type to mini display; removes sync
- tweaks kb shortcuts to put -/+ 1 beat on the unshifted "- =" keys; "+" now toggles keyboard goto mode; "~" toggles the settings page
- made default values for meta delta min/max values less obscure
- tweaked the scanner syncwarp bits
- minor code cleanups and tweaks

enjoy! /dan
Old 05-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #79
bang

Quote:
Some weird things happening here when cycles is 1.00x[...]
thanks yet again for finding/reporting this TJA! heh. it actually works as intended, but displays the results wrong. my bad. after cycles 1x-reset, delay time is the maximum possible in the new 1x sized big buffer. then, if a new delay time larger than the big buffer is set, wayback divides by 2 until it sets an actual delay time. the bug is that when sync is off the smaller adjusted time is not displayed, which is confusing. good catch. fixed in the new release. /dan

ps- boy that font on windows is small & ugly. new release has a fix for that too.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #80
ThrashJazzAssassin

Thanks for updates and fixes Dan

This is what's happening now on windows