Old 10-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
icarusi
Human being with feelings

Default odd midi sync problem, VSTi ok, out to keys not ok

Hi,

My midi tracks in Reaper are ok and sync to the metronome when using VSTi plugins. When I output via DIN midi they are 'auto' delayed behind the metronome and VSTi by 200-250ms. If I tick the 'low latency' midi option, in 'preferences', the DIN midi plays in *advance* of the metronome and VSTi, by circa 100ms. The 'delay' option in the settings only seems to work when the 'low latency' option is unticked, and doesn't seem to accept negative values to advance it. Is this a bug (known or unknown)? I can sync it with plugin midi delays, but it then out-syncs with the metronome, so audio then needs delaying etc. so I'd prefer to get a global sync solution in the 'preference' settings, if there is one.

TIA
icarusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
icarusi

Seems to be a problem with the midi box. Tried another today with no sync problems in normal or low latency modes, and both allowed delay to be used in the settings section. The problem box is an in-line generic usb-midi cable. Other than the sync it seems to be ok. The other box uses ASIO only, but the midi-usb cable is class compliant. I'll try again with the ASIO driver for the laptop audio chipset selected for the midi-usb cable.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
icarusi

Tried the usb-midi cable today with the ASIO driver selected and all was ok. The delay in settings could be selected in both the normal and low latency settings. I couldn't hear any difference between the two settings with the Reaper project I was using to test the midi-cable, but it was the same project I was using on the original post. There seems to be a problem playing audio in some other programs, such as a browser with Reaper open. Closing Reaper cured this.

So even though the usb-midi cable is class-compliant, it needs the asio driver for the resident audio chipset to be selected in 'devices' for Reaper to DIN-midi sync-out correctly, although it will play ok alone with other drivers or an auto-selection, but not in sync with Reaper project midi files or tracks as midi sources.