Old 12-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
budda
Human being with feelings

Default ReaComp AA

Why ReaComp in Reaplugs vst pack have AA, and Reacomp inside Reaper dont have it?
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
Why ReaComp in Reaplugs vst pack have AA, and Reacomp inside Reaper dont have it?
It was determined the AA didn't really work as intended in ReaComp and it was removed from the Reaper-included plugin. The standalone plugins have not been updated to have that change.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
pepe44

And what is the internal Anti aliasing defined in the "refurbished" reacomp after the 5.97 update ? none or 2x ?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
not-relevant

BTW: if you want anti-aliasing across the board for all plug-ins in a project, you can always render your project at a higher samplerate and resample the result back down to your target format.
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-relevant View Post
BTW: if you want anti-aliasing across the board for all plug-ins in a project, you can always render your project at a higher samplerate and resample the result back down to your target format.
I believe that won´t solve the problem regarding the fold back aliasing at 44.1 when using some saturators / compressors, since you´re printing a mix with all those mirrored frequencies .
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
not-relevant

I'm not an expert on this, and someone more informed might be able to clarify, but I think a saturator will produce considerably less aliasing if you run it at a higher sample rate, resample the input up to that rate, and resample the output back down afterwards, providing the input signal is relatively low frequency compared to the rate the saturator runs at and the resampling process has suitable bandlimiting.

This is essentially what plug-ins do when they offer an anti-aliasing setting. However, doing on the whole mix, rather than on a plug-in by plug-in basis, reduces the amount of sample-rate conversion that has to be done, which has got to be preferable from a sound quality perspective.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that Line 6 oversample 8x in their guitar processors though, so perhaps the benefits of upsampling to say 96kHz or even 172kHz if targetting 44kHz, might be limited.
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-relevant View Post
providing the input signal is relatively low frequency compared to the rate the saturator runs at.
The input gain matters too. Even a low frequency input at high gain will create harmonics above Nyquist.

Also, this is from u-he's URS on KVR:
"The problem is that the added harmonics in a signal chain add to each other. That is, a nonlinear process will also add harmonics to the already added ones from the previous process. So each time you double the samplerate all you get is one more plugin in the signal chain to end up with the same level of artifacts.

The best way to keep aliasing low is to bandlimit each single process in the chain. Thus deploying steep filters inbetween. 'tis the only way."
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
pepe44

Recently i made a post about some odd events regarding reacomp. While i was doing some experiments i found that when activating the preview for the filter detector all sliders introduce a glitchy sound. Old Versions too. I made a thread about and i would like to learn a bit more about this problem if someone could help.
thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=231788