Old 08-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
olzzon
Human being with feelings

Default When split at begin, select left item

One feature that i use alot in PT and SAW, is a shortcut for trim at cursor.
In reaper it works fine with trimming the end, by pressing "s" and then "del"
But if it was possible that when you splitted at the beginning of an item, the left part got selected, there would be no need for special trim keys. As "s", "del" would remove the start. Right now you have to do "s", click on the left part, "del".

Itīs not a problem when doing one little edit, but when editing speaks, you do MANY cuts, and then itīs a fast way to do it, without involving the mouse. And itīs easy to setup up a script, with a hotkey for it

So if the split is on the first half of the edit, the left part is selected, and the second half, the right is selected.

If there are a reasons for not doing this, please let me know. Maybe someone has another way to do it, fast.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

This has the ring of a good idea... I guess the problem would be that you'd have to keep this behaviour in mind all the time so you didn't instinctively hit del after splitting near the left and delete the small bit when actually you wanted to delete the big bit.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
kenn

Related to olzzon's feature request - I notice that the { and } keys (aka SHIFT+[ and SHIFT+]) can be used to set the start and end points of the selection "zone". This suggests to me that once the selection region has been defined, either by mouse or hotkeys, it would be neat to have "delete before selection start" and "delete after selection end" functions that would perform the same sort of fast trimming.

I see that SAWSTUDIO Basic (demo) has split & remove left (hotkey: R ) and split & remove right (hotkey: ALT+R ), which is about exactly what you're requesting, right?

Related question (to anyone) - are there hotkeys that will select the next or previous segments? I didn't see one in the hotkeys list. If there was an easy way to change which segment is selected with hotkeys (eg TAB = next on same track, SHIFT+TAB = previous on same track), you could easly change the selection after a split without leaving the keyboard.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn
Related to olzzon's feature request - I notice that the { and } keys (aka SHIFT+[ and SHIFT+]) can be used to set the start and end points of the selection "zone". This suggests to me that once the selection region has been defined, either by mouse or hotkeys, it would be neat to have "delete before selection start" and "delete after selection end" functions that would perform the same sort of fast trimming.

I see that SAWSTUDIO Basic (demo) has split & remove left (hotkey: R ) and split & remove right (hotkey: ALT+R ), which is about exactly what you're requesting, right?

Related question (to anyone) - are there hotkeys that will select the next or previous segments? I didn't see one in the hotkeys list. If there was an easy way to change which segment is selected with hotkeys (eg TAB = next on same track, SHIFT+TAB = previous on same track), you could easly change the selection after a split without leaving the keyboard.
The reason iīm not asking for more shortcuts in reaper, is that when iīve worked a couple of days in one and change, i think SAW has a little to many sometimes, and therefor i like the simplicity of reaper.

I think your suggestion about, change which itemīs selected with a shortcut, also could work as a great solution. This way, thereīs been a consistency in the behaveior, as Art evans pinpointed, could be the problem in my suggestion.
And for me itīs just as fast with another key to press, itīs allways when the mouse gets involved the slowdown starts.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
malcolmj

Quote:
You can do this now. Right-click on the Loop and select Crop project to selection.

Quote:
Not at the moment, but it would be great to have.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 AM   #6
maa

Yes - thats something i miss from Sam too - next and previous 'object' (item) border selection with keyboard shortcuts.

Much used in CD production (which reaper doesn't have yet of course..)

maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
kenn

Re:
...once the selection region has been defined, either by mouse or hotkeys, it would be neat to have "delete before selection start" and "delete after selection end" functions that would perform the same sort of fast trimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
You can do this now. Right-click on the Loop and select Crop project to selection.
Whoo, that deletes EVERYTHING in the project that's not inside the selection zone, which is not at all what we're after. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

We want to be able to easily trim a selected segment (leaving the rest of the project alone), like for olzzon's example of dialogue editing, when you want to trim up a word or a phrase. So the desired function would be that after you draw your loop selection over a segment or group of segments, there's a single command that deletes the parts of SELECTED segments outside of the loop selection. I would call it a "Trim to Selected Area" function, or similar.

I hope that's clearer.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote