COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default Setting up IPLUG 2

Hello,

I want to port my IPLUG 1 plugins to IPLUG 2. But i guess IPLUG 2 not ready for that?

For example, i want to compile IPlugEffect but getting errors like "use of undeclared identifier malloc".

To fix it, i have to include "stdlib.h" and "string.h".

But again, getting other errors...

Any tutorial to show how to set up IPLUG 2?

My system : El Capitan 10.11.6 - Xcode 8

Thanks.
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default

Still no luck...

Can someone help, please?
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
Still no luck...

Can someone help, please?
I have started working with iPlug2 coming from iPlug1. My approach - and advice - is to compile the iPlug2 examples and then work in your existing code. Simply copying and pasting iPlug1 .cpp/.h files won't work.

Also suggest you update your OS and move up to Xcode 10+. You will need that for Mac OS Catalina. Might as well take the leap now rather than struggle with it later.

I almost think that newcomers just starting out "fresh" with the latest iPlug2, Mac OS and Xcode have an advantage of not trying to move and re-learn everything. It has been a bear for me.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 01-16-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
I have started working with iPlug2 coming from iPlug1. My approach - and advice - is to compile the iPlug2 examples and then work in your existing code. Simply copying and pasting iPlug1 .cpp/.h files won't work.

Also suggest you update your OS and move up to Xcode 10+. You will need that for Mac OS Catalina. Might as well take the leap now rather than struggle with it later.

I almost think that newcomers just starting out "fresh" with the latest iPlug2, Mac OS and Xcode have an advantage of not trying to move and re-learn everything. It has been a bear for me.
I downloaded IPlug2 branch and tried to compile IPlugEffect in debug mode. It compiled but can't open any DAW.

I tried in Release mode but not even compiled.

I put all dependencies to their location but no luck.

What i'm missing?
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
I downloaded IPlug2 branch and tried to compile IPlugEffect in debug mode. It compiled but can't open any DAW.

I tried in Release mode but not even compiled.

I put all dependencies to their location but no luck.

What i'm missing?
I don't know - iPlugEffect worked for me the first time I tried it (AMAZING!)

I compiled it in XCode 10.3. If you are still on an old system and Xcode 8 that may be the issue.

What "flavor" of plugin are you building/testing - VST, VST3, AU, etc.? Do you have the latest SDKs?
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
I don't know - iPlugEffect worked for me the first time I tried it (AMAZING!)

I compiled it in XCode 10.3. If you are still on an old system and Xcode 8 that may be the issue.

What "flavor" of plugin are you building/testing - VST, VST3, AU, etc.? Do you have the latest SDKs?
Thanks for reply!

I used XCode 8. Yeah, maybe that's the problem...

I will check it with Mojave and will see...

When build in Mojave, which SDK should i use as Base and Minimum SDK to support minimum 10.7?
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
When build in Mojave, which SDK should i use as Base and Minimum SDK to support minimum 10.7?
Not sure you can. iPlug2 is 64-bit only, AFAIK. Build settings says "minimum OS 10.11" whereas iPlug1 supports minimum 10.7. There were some file and settings changes required to re-compile iPlug1 in XCode 10.

Can you advise, Oli?
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 AM   #8
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
Not sure you can. iPlug2 is 64-bit only, AFAIK. Build settings says "minimum OS 10.11" whereas iPlug1 supports minimum 10.7. There were some file and settings changes required to re-compile iPlug1 in XCode 10.

Can you advise, Oli?
Don't think it's support only 64. Possible to compile as 32Bit as i can see...

I guess, i have to re-install Mojave on another disk to discover what IPlug2 can do. At the moment, i have Mojave and El Capitan but Mojave for music production. Time to create new partition and install another Mojave for developing.

But, still i would like to hear Oli.
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default

According to this page, we need Xcode 9, minimum.

https://iplug2.github.io/docs/md_examples.html

Also, tells that we can use Xcode 8+ but no luck with Xcode8.
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Tunca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 257
Default

Just tried with Xcode 10. Everything is OK.

Even, imported one of my plugins but i have trouble with GUIs.

I can't attach background image.

Any help?
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:38 AM   #11
olilarkin
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,212
Default

That documentation is out of date, you need Xcode 10+. where's my documentation team :-(


you might be better off joining the slack channel to get help
__________________
VirtualCZ | pMix | Endless Series | iPlug2 | Linkedin | Facebook
Available for Audio Dev tuition via Skype (IPlug/JUCE/C++)
olilarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.