Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #401
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It really is pretty bad, but more importantly, it's distracting in a bad way. I'll post a GIF later on since today I'm not at my desktop.
Here you go with a 30 FPS GIF.

It IS unfortunately rather distracting. Also probably not very good for people with photosensitive epilepsy (thankfully I'm not afflicted by it)...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #402
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
But, I really hope we finally (v6?) get this functionality natively.
A way to display and change values (pitch, velocity, position, length, etc...) in the MIDI editor.
I do not quite understand what you mean by "change values"? There are already many native actions and mouse modifiers to change values, such as inverting notes and dragging CCs up and down, or left and right.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #403
_Stevie_

Something like Reaper's event properties or mpl's interactive toolbar, where you can directly change values by entering numbers.
But not a dialog that needs to be opened all the time, but something that stays there permanently.

Of course I use all your scripts and available mouse modifiers etc...
But in certain cases, entering a value is more convenient.
mpl's interactive toolbar comes very close, but since I'm using my MIDI editor undocked, I can't make much use out of it.

As an example:
https://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/h...base_part2.jpg

EDIT: basically, if we had dedicated docker spaces in the MIDI editor, this would already help a lot.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #404
Tod

Default Finally back together..

Hi Julian, I finally got my Reaper back working like I want it to, at least I hope so.

I've got everything updated including the new "Script: js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp.lua". However, it's not removing the redundant CCs like it did before and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

It's not a big deal, I've got your js script in my toolbar to do that, so I can still remove them.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #405
Tod

Also the "Script: js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp.lua" doesn't remember the curves like the old one did. With the old one when I drew a curve down going to the right, it would give it an upper concave and when I drew down going to the left it would draw a downward concave.

Also it's not being consistent, sometimes when I start drawing on the 64 value line, it will draw as expected. But then sometimes it drops to 0 and draws upward.

Are there things I should know about the new "Draw ramp"?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #406
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are there things I should know about the new "Draw ramp"?
All mysteries shall be revealed... in the Instructions!

Quote:
Also it's not being consistent, sometimes when I start drawing on the 64 value line, it will draw as expected. But then sometimes it drops to 0 and draws upward.
This sounds like the script is chasing start values. Right-click to toggle chasing on/off.

Quote:
I've got everything updated including the new "Script: js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp.lua". However, it's not removing the redundant CCs like it did before and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.
You can run the script "js_Option - Toggle skip redundant events when inserting CCs" to toggle this feature on/off.

Quote:
Also the "Script: js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp.lua" doesn't remember the curves like the old one did. With the old one when I drew a curve down going to the right, it would give it an upper concave and when I drew down going to the left it would draw a downward concave.
This behavior did indeed change: Previously, if the curve was "fast start" when drawing to the right, it would also be fast start when drawing to the right. (Similarly for "Fast end".) This had its advantages, but it also meant that the curve is not symmetrical when drawing to the right vs left. In the current version, the curve remains symmetric. Is this a problem?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #407
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
All mysteries shall be revealed... in the Instructions!
Okay where are the instructions? Trust my Julian, I've been all over and spent a lot of time on all this, I'm tired ha ha, so please a link.

Quote:
This sounds like the script is chasing start values. Right-click to toggle chasing on/off.
Aah okay, didn't know that.

Quote:
You can run the script "js_Option - Toggle skip redundant events when inserting CCs" to toggle this feature on/off.
Okay, need to check this out.

Quote:
This behavior did indeed change: Previously, if the curve was "fast start" when drawing to the right, it would also be fast start when drawing to the right. (Similarly for "Fast end".) This had its advantages, but it also meant that the curve is not symmetrical when drawing to the right vs left. In the current version, the curve remains symmetric. Is this a problem?
No, not really, I guess it's a matter of just using the mouse wheel with every draw, I think I just have to get used to it.

Thanks Julian, for everything, you are marvelous.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #408
juliansader

Quote:
Okay where are the instructions? Trust my Julian, I've been all over and spent a lot of time on all this, I'm tired ha ha, so please a link.
Most of the scripts contain extensive Descriptions and Instructions inside the script file itself. These can be read in REAPER's built-in script editor (by clicking the "Edit" button in the Actions list), or in ReaPack's "About" window.

EDIT: There is also a general overview of the mouse editing scripts on the first page of this thread.

Last edited by juliansader; 03-21-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #409
Tod

Quote:
Most of the scripts contain extensive Descriptions and Instructions inside the script file itself. These can be read in REAPER's built-in script editor (by clicking the "Edit" button in the Actions list), or in ReaPack's "About" window.
Aah, okay, gotchya.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #410
Nogla

stretch and compress script set to ctrl-alt-mwheel. Pressing ESC while dragging leads to an error.

https://i.imgur.com/CPW46ZJ.gifv
Nogla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #411
Nogla

The highest note is never affected with stretch and compress.
https://i.imgur.com/UAhZBgt.gifv
Nogla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:50 AM   #412
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogla View Post
stretch and compress script set to ctrl-alt-mwheel. Pressing ESC while dragging leads to an error.
Rather not close a MIDI editor while a script is trying to write to it. (BTW, is this on Apple?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogla View Post
The highest note is never affected with stretch and compress
This is how stretch is intended to work: if you grab and stretch the bottom, the uppermost velocity remains the fixed anchor. (Similarly, if you stretch a note using REAPER's native leftdrag function, you must place the mouse over either the leftmost or rightmost edge of the note, and then while you drag that edge, the opposite edge remains fixed.)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:04 AM   #413
EvilDragon

Any comments on the flicker GIF I posted?

BTW, which command is supposed to show a curved line overlay when tweaking CCs? Compress/expand or arch? I can't see any overlay over here...
Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #414
juliansader

Quote:
Any comments on the flicker GIF I posted?
Besides the FR that I mentioned above, I have added some new functions to the ReaScriptAPI extension that should help, when I eventually integrate them into the scripts.

Quote:
BTW, which command is supposed to show a curved line overlay when tweaking CCs? Compress/expand or arch? I can't see any overlay over here...
Both the Arch/Tilt script and the Stretch/Compress script should show the curves. (The latter in Compress mode, not Stretch mode.) Are you not seeing anything, on Windows 10?

Here is a GIF from _stevie_ using Arch/Tilt:
Old 03-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #415
_Stevie_

Interessting, I can only see the lines with one single script. Have to check which one..
Old 03-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #416
EvilDragon

Yeah I see the lines in arch/tilt, but not stretch/compress.

Maybe would be nice to be able to change the colors of the lines in extstate.ini?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #417
_Stevie_

Quote:
Yeah I see the lines in arch/tilt, but not stretch/compress.

Maybe would be nice to be able to change the colors of the lines in extstate.ini?
Confirmed! And custom color would be great
Old 03-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #418
FnA

Quote:
(The latter in Compress mode, not Stretch mode.)
Shows guidelines here when starting script with mouse over lane divider. Windows 7 x64.

The arch and tilt script can’t be terminated with control, alt, or shift modifiers the same way as compress script. Windows key needs to be among them. (I found myself trying to kill these with escape instinctively)

I like that there are fewer scripts now. I feel I can devote shortcuts to them now.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #419
Reflected

Can you help me with this >>> ???

I would like to repeat selected sequence of midi notes to the next measure/beat regardless of pitch.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219144
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #420
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Can you help me with this >>> ???
Of the scripts in this thread, the MIDI note selector (in measure division mode) will probably be most useful.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:35 AM   #421
Smoy

Hey Julian!
First thanks a lot for your amazing scripts, it really improved my workflow!

I'm triggering the scripts with toolbar buttons arm function, works really nice but when I accidentally left-click the button, the script kind of "activate" itself in the void and I cannot make it deactivated again for later use with the toolbar arming. The only option i have is to restart Reaper

Do you have a workaround for those kind of situations?

Thanks a lot!
Smoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #422
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoy View Post
I'm triggering the scripts with toolbar buttons arm function, works really nice but when I accidentally left-click the button, the script kind of "activate" itself in the void and I cannot make it deactivated again for later use with the toolbar arming. The only option i have is to restart Reaper

Do you have a workaround for those kind of situations?
I think, in the next version, the scripts should *toggle* their left-click armed state, if you left-click on a button that is already armed.

In the meantime, simply run this script from the MIDI editor context to de-arm the armed script:
Code:
prevCommandIDs = reaper.GetExtState("js_Mouse actions", "Previous commandIDs") or ""
_, _, sectionID = reaper.get_action_context()
for prevID in prevCommandIDs:gmatch("%d+") do
    prevID = tonumber(prevID)
    reaper.SetToggleCommandState(sectionID, prevID, -1)
    reaper.RefreshToolbar2(sectionID, prevID)
end
Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #423
AJYoung

Hey there,

So I've been trying to use these for the first time, running the Mouse Editing scripts by using the toolbar arming. But I haven't gotten any of them to work, and when I run the script I get the attached error message (plus the links to the ReaExtensions url in the console window).

I have indeed made sure that ReaPack has the correct updated repository, so I'm not sure what's causing this?
Attached Images
File Type: png Mouse Editing ReaScript Error.png (11.7 KB, 186 views)
AJYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #424
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJYoung View Post
Hey there,

So I've been trying to use these for the first time, running the Mouse Editing scripts by using the toolbar arming. But I haven't gotten any of them to work, and when I run the script I get the attached error message (plus the links to the ReaExtensions url in the console window).

I have indeed made sure that ReaPack has the correct updated repository, so I'm not sure what's causing this?
Please check the following:

1) In REAPER's main menu, go to Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder; then open the UserPlugins folder, and check that it contains the file "reaper_js_ReaScriptAPI64" (or "-32", depending on your system), with extension ".dll" for Windows, ".dylib" for macOS and ".so" for Linux.

2) If the ReaScriptAPI is not installed, go to Extensions -> ReaPack -> Manage repositories, and check whether "ReaTeam Extensions" is listed and enabled.

3) Go to ReaPack -> Browse packages, search for "js_reascriptapi" and make sure that version 0.984 is installed.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #425
AJYoung

Quote:
Please check the following:
Thanks for the reply, I have done so, and everything appears to be in the correct spot.

And guess what? It's working today! I restarted my computer in the meantime and let Windows 10 run an update, but I haven't changed anything Reaper-wise since I wrote the original post. Strange.

Thanks anyways, I'll let you know if I have any other issues. I'm loving these scripts.
AJYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #426
reapero

Hi!

Some months have passed by since i mentioned in this thread about a master CC/velocity mangling script similar to what Cubase does. Check the velocity lane on this gif.

Julian said it was somehow possible but it had some limitations about scripts intercepting mouse clicks, which i didnt fully understand, but i suspect this has been fixed on the last updates, maybe i am wrong. Also, with the release of the JS_Reascript API i guess drawing the rectangle in which this script should work would be easier?

There´s a script called Velocity Tool (cant remember who did it but i dont think it was you Julian) that does this, but its kinda laggy and the window appears docked at the top left corner of the screen which is a pain to use here on a 32" screen.

I guess the Arch&Tilt script on this thread does something similar but i find it very confusing to work with.

Recapping, 2 questions:

- Have i missed a script that does this in a more convenient way than the VelocityTool script? The cool thing about Cubase´s approach is that you dont have to activate anything: as long as you have selected something in the velocity/CC lanes you can alter this data by simply left dragging on the keyspots on this "drawn" selection area. So i guess a cool thing for us who do lots of midi mocaps would be to have some defer script going on there?

- In case this isnt avalable yet..is this now more easily doable than a year ago? Would there be any interest in the community to have such a script?
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #427
juliansader

I have uploaded new versions of the MIDI Inspector as well as the Mouse editing scripts.

For macOS and Linux users: The Arch/Tilt and Compress scripts will now draw guide lines onscreen, similar to Windows, and the MIDI Inspector can be docked in the MIDI editor.

Quote:
Ugh. It's really a problem for usability then. Flickering is annoying and tires the eyes... Not to mention the font is too tiny because it's not antialiased...
Using ReaScriptAPI's new compositing functions, the MIDI Inspector can now dock in the MIDI editor on macOS and Linux without any glitching, and should glitch much less on Windows.

Also, on Windows, the text can now optionally use LICE's blur capability to slightly soften the font. Perhaps not a proper antialias, but I hope it looks better. By default it is off, but it can be switched on in the script's User Area.

Quote:
Confirmed! And custom color would be great
The colors of the guidelines can be customized in the User Area of the scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoy View Post
Clicking a left-click-armed toolbar button should now disarm the script, so that you can use right-click arming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
(I found myself trying to kill these with escape instinctively)
The scripts can now be terminated by any keystroke, including ESC.

Another new feature that I think many users will find more natural: Instead of starting and stopping the script with two separate keystrokes, the scripts can now use hold+release: If the shortcut is held down for more than half a second, the script will stop when the shortcut is eventually released.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-08-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #428
EvilDragon

BTW Julian... you mention the script's user area. But this gets overwritten every time you do an update and we update the script through ReaPack, doesn't it?

Should probably go to extstate, all those settings, no?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #429
_Stevie_

Awesome Julian! Thanks for those changes!

ED: Exstate would mean they are stored per project right?
Wouldn't it make more sense to have some kind of ini file for those settings?
So it's project independent.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #430
_Stevie_

@Julian: the stretch and compress script gives an error that the wrong js API is installed. However, I have the latest installed.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #431
juliansader

Quote:
@Julian: the stretch and compress script gives an error that the wrong js API is installed. However, I have the latest installed.
The (current) latest version is 0.986 -- please check in the ReaPack browser that this is the installed version. (Also remember that REAPER must be restarted after updating an extension.)

Quote:
ED: Exstate would mean they are stored per project right?
Wouldn't it make more sense to have some kind of ini file for those settings?
So it's project independent.
There are two types of extstates: Get/SetProjExtState that is project-specific, and Get/SetExtState that is general.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #432
_Stevie_

Quote:
The (current) latest version is 0.986 -- please check in the ReaPack browser that this is the installed version. (Also remember that REAPER must be restarted after updating an extension.)
Yep, that's the version I got installed.

Quote:
There are two types of extstates: Get/SetProjExtState that is project-specific, and Get/SetExtState that is general.
Ah good to know, thanks! Where is that data stored then?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #433
juliansader

Quote:
Yep, that's the version I got installed.
Could you please double-check by running this in the IDE:
Code:
version = reaper.JS_ReaScriptAPI_Version()
and if you type this in the IDE, does it color the function as recognized, or highlight it as unrecognized?
Code:
reaper.JS_LICE_WritePNG
Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #434
_Stevie_

Hah, you are right. It shows 0.985, although ReaPack shows me that 0.986 is installed. I'll reinstall the API.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #435
_Stevie_

Yep, works, not sure what went wrong. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old 05-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #436
EvilDragon

@julian - just letting you know after the latest update to your scripts and API, there is no more flickering AT ALL on my computer here.

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #437
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
I guess the Arch&Tilt script on this thread does something similar but i find it very confusing to work with.
Please let me know if anything is unclear and should be explained better.

Arch/Tilt should work very straightforward, as this GIF demonstrates. Between Arch/Tilt and Stretch/Compress, you can do everything and much more than Cubase's CC Editor can:

Quote:
Have i missed a script that does this in a more convenient way than the VelocityTool script?
Yes - the js_Mouse editing scripts!

Quote:
Would there be any interest in the community to have such a script?
I would be disappointed if (m)any in the community would prefer a Cubase-clone tool. I regard Cubase's CC Editor as outdated and limited, and my scripts are intended to be more elegant and far more powerful.

AFAIK, for example, Cubase's CC Editor can only do plain linear tilts and flat compressions. SONAR's Transform Tool is more advanced, as it can can do warping, and has a nifty "soft mode" (which inspired my "Tilt to chased values" script).

Quote:
In case this isnt avalable yet..is this now more easily doable than a year ago?
Indeed. At long last, after lots and lots of work, with the recent versions of the ReaScriptAPI extension, a "Transform Tool" with transparent overlay and mouse control is now fully doable.

I have already written a basic Transform Tool script, but I see little value in it. There are two main objections:

* Inconsistency: REAPER is quite shortcut-oriented, and nowhere else does REAPER use Transform Tools with overlaid graphics. MIDI notes, audio stretch markers, automation lanes, etc. all require editing that is just as complex as CC editing. NOTE: When Sexan completes his fantastic new Area Selection scripts, this objection will fall away.

* The biggest problem: messy interface: I haven't yet found a satisfactory way to pack all editing functions into one UI. Note that, besides my own scripts, there are also REAPER's native functions such as "Move in one direction" and "Linear ramp". (Any suggestions would be appreciated.)

Last edited by juliansader; 05-17-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #438
reapero

Thanks Julian, really appreciate the detailed answer.

I guess my main problem is i come from more than a dozen years of experience using Cubase and all of my Reaper prefs and settings mimic Cubase for the most part.

I really could get by easily with the limitations on Cubase so i dont really feel the need of the cool and nifty features on your scripts. I miss however left dragging to do tilt or scale (as you do everywhere else in Reaper and any other soft) and i also miss a "one to rule them all" phylosophy instead of having different scripts to do specific stuff. Less options, more efficiency...classic thing popping up with Reaper, isnt it?

I´ll give Tilt&Arch + Stretch/ Compress another run and try to overcome my left dragging syndrome.

Sexan´s Area selection seems so close now though..that would really make it for me. Other users also mentioned about using it in the midi editor.

Thanks for all your help and contributions to the forum and community!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #439
AugerJ

Hi, juliansader. About your MIDI Inspector.
The script says: "ME_TextColor = nil -- Color in RRGGBB format".
I didn't know what RRGGBB is, so I've searched...
Typing in values like E0E0E0 or #E0E0E0 or 0xE0E0E0 instead of nil either doesn't change the text color or brings up the error message window:
"js_MIDI Inspector.lua:165: attempt to get length of a number value"
or "malformed" something.

Could you give some examples of that line with text color other than nil?

Last edited by AugerJ; 06-07-2019 at 12:30 AM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:44 AM   #440
juliansader

0xE0E0E0 is the correct format for Lua hexadecimal values.

However, in the most recent version of the script, you don't need to edit the script file to change the color of the text that is displayed in the MIDI editor -- instead, just right-click on the Inspector in the MIDI editor, and go to "Font settings" in the context menu. (The same dialog should also pop up when you first run the new version.)