Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #121
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

ok, so after reading up again it seems like it's actually down to reaper's automation having a set refresh rate which although has been increased recently, it's still a little slow.

Couple this with vst2 having a slow rate too and we have one reason to go to vst3s and to increase the rate again.

No matter. I'll give up on it for now

Here's a post with some info on it.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=157375
Old 01-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #122
BenK-msx

just trying this out - v smart mpl!

minor issue adding sliders from existing reaEQ's in a project.

EEROR = 2546: attempt to index a nil value.

i think it is because i have renamed the reaEQ's in question.

i have one inserted as default for new tracks and have renamed it to 'eq+analysis'

perhaps the rename is throwing off the script.

#EDIT 2: confirmed - if user removes the "VST:" from plugin name using 'rename FX instance'
adding slider = crash

-

2 questions to finish:

1: would it be possible to have a constant display of reaper's *last touched parameter* somewhere on the panel? updated when it changes?

this is because i have one midi controller set to control last touched parameter - it works well with the mapping panel as it is, and it gets me close to having no fx chains open to control things.

however using it this way i do need to keep an eye on what the last touched parameter was, if i go off and do something else for a bit, i can tweak the controller and change something not knowing what i adjusted - a read out of what it was would really be a bonus here!

2: the relative slider mouse tracking is almost perfect for me when using controller linked to last touched paramater, but if it could register a 'mouse click' (at the plugin) on clicking the slider, but without moving the slider, i could just:

click slider >> adjust midi controller - (good!) rather than
click slider >> fiddly small mouse drag>> adjust midi controller. (less good!)

many thanks - donation promised here!

Last edited by BenK-msx; 01-07-2016 at 06:16 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #123
gwok

i just reported the named fx instance above too, so confirmed, same behaviour here.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #124
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
i just reported the named fx instance above too, so confirmed, same behaviour here.
cool. sorry new page syndrome so didnt catch your post #115
Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 AM   #125
mpl

Should works now with renamed FX instances (1.04).

BenK-msx, I added lasttouched "fx/param" to Slider menu if slider is empty (I think GUI is already "overloaded" by different elements).

Last edited by mpl; 01-08-2016 at 04:04 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #126
musicbynumbers

Hi guys,

I think I recall MPL saying that you could possible combine 2 formulas together

Just wondering if any one here who is good at math can tell me how to do it?

I'd like to do something like, set a limit up first so that say the control input is ignored until it gets to 0.5 like so "lim(x,0.5,1)" but then take that input from 0.5 to 1 and expand it back out again to the full 0 to 1 range.

This is so I could have one parameter doing full range but have the slave parameter ignore the master up until it hits halfway, at which point the slave will start moving but from 0 and not 0.5

I keep thinking I'm close to getting it right by doing things like adding a "*2-0.5" to expand and then normalise it again but I'm not sure where I should be putting the parenthesis to get the right "order" of the calculations so it comes out right. is it even possible?

EDIT: maybe it's because to do this I would need a "2nd line" of forumla that is then affecting the output of the first one? I just managed to add "-0.5" at the end of the formula which brings it back down to 0.5 but adding *2 after it screws it up. Is this a "PEMDAS" thing that needs the right parenthesis putting in it?
Old 01-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #127
mpl

musicbynumbers, firstly, I added developer mode, so you can see what the actual reaper.defer() cycle period in seconds (and also what get/returns from external state if need).

I think you speak about conditions. That way I`ll need to rewrite caching function code, seems it opens much problems with backwards compatibility.

Now function is looks like
Code:
codestring= 'x^2+0.5'
data.routing[i][k].func = load('local x = ... return '..codestring)
To make conditions work I guess I should rebuild this that way:
Code:
codestring= 'y = x^2+0.5'
data.routing[i][k].func = load('local x = ... '..codestring..'return y')
If I implement second way with compability of first (string check for 'y=' at start of formula, for example), you can do something like this:
Code:
codestring= 
 'if x>=0 and x<0.5 then y = x*0.5 else y = x*2-0.5 end'
Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #128
musicbynumbers

Thanks I'll take a look at that. It does seem though that it's just the nature of how reaper records in envelope automation. It seems to store them in a buffer based on your latency buffer. I'll see it that's the case when I get time.

As for the formulas. I was actually coming back here to say that I managed to get it working with this one "lim(x,0.5,1)+x-0.5*2"

EDIT actually, that above formula is still acting solely within the limit function and I just got lucky!
I tried to change the limit to say 0.2 to 0.8 but it interacted with the last bit and wouldn't work so some kind of way of adding to functions together would be awesome. I'll try some things out and see what works

I was surprised that it did work to be honest as I swore I tried that before. I thought that the 2nd "x" would not have been "after" the first formula but it seems it is which is cool probably because the parenthesis in the limit function force it to act first.

If I was to try something a bit harder though like first, limiting from say 0.35 to 0.87 and then try to expand the range back on the slave to the full 0 to 1. I'd probably struggle so some way to have 2 (or more) functions enable at once in series would be quite useful but if it's too much trouble I'll understand

It would be cool though to first limit and then perform another function on that to normalise it again etc. What you posted above sounds promising if it's not too much trouble. Maybe if it was added as a "preset" that gave that option but didn't break the others?

It's one of those things that sound designers would love and hopefully others too.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-08-2016 at 06:46 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #129
musicbynumbers

sorry MPL.. I've just realised (very embarrassingly) that a lot of what I was after can be done with the curve preset! whoops!

It's not as accurate but I can do things like limit and expand by drawing it in. I'll see if there's things it can't do though now with some tests but although being able to combine to formulas in series would be cool, if it's a nightmare to code then don't worry about it
Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #130
mpl

I found it already breaks a lot in the code.
Mainly because I put formula in the brackets, and brackets is Lua string pattern (damn how can I be so stupid? ) So I leave formulas code as is currently to not breaking previous formatting.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #131
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
I found it already breaks a lot in the code.
Mainly because I put formula in the brackets, and brackets is Lua string pattern (damn how can I be so stupid? ) So I leave formulas code as is currently to not breaking previous formatting.
not to worry. I can probably find a way to do most of it with what is in there. I'm going to try it out on some real world stuff at some point and then I'll be able to let you know if anything breaks etc.

So far though, it's beyond my expectations of what could be achieved with scripting so again, thanks for an amazing job on this so far!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #132
musicbynumbers

Note to anyone who wants to do automation that's as accurate as possible.

Turns out there's an option/toggle action that I knew was there somewhere but couldn't find it called "reduce envelope data when recording or drawing automation".

I'm in a rush today so I've only done quick tests but seems that this might be having an affect on envelope rates, DOH!

Also MPL, even though you still get "lag" if trying to use "square" envelope points (see picture higher up), it still has none infinite slopes which, in real world situations, don't really affect anything so all good!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #133
mpl

Nice to hear
I sent info about this script to EpicSounds and Kenny Gioia, hope they`ll find it nice stuff to overview.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #134
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I sent info about this script to EpicSounds and Kenny Gioia, hope they`ll find it nice stuff to overview.
They should do! I've got a couple of sound designers for games that I've yet to be able to show this to but when they see it, there's going to be big smiles all around!
Old 01-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #135
gwok

Hi, thanks for the fix. Unfortunately, currents projects are now coming up with this error when I try to change a parameter in the routing matrix -

/Volumes/Audio HD C/PerForm/Scripts/mpl_Mapping Panel.lua:3016: attempt to call a nil value (local 'func')

i had trouble finding 1.02 in the github history so I could keep my settings, is it possible to get that easily?

thanks!
Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #136
mpl

This looks strange. Can you attach your project somehow?
Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #137
mpl

Ok, I think while hard testing formulas I did something wrong with formatting. Give me some time, I will post an update with safety formula storing/restoring, when it will be ready. This will brake backwards compatibility, but will open a lot of possibilities with formulas (for example with conditions). I understand this is very bad, but since a lot people like experimenting with formulas, I should rewrite it more careful.
Here is version 1.02

Last edited by mpl; 01-08-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #138
gwok

No prob, I can drop backwards compatibility for increased functionality
Old 01-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #139
gwok

i am also getting this error if I change the color (1.07)

/Volumes/Audio HD C/PerForm/Scripts/mpl_Mapping Panel.lua:3016: attempt to call a nil value (local 'func')

edit: getting same error after making assingments, then closing\reopening project

Last edited by gwok; 01-08-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #140
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
No prob, I can drop backwards compatibility for increased functionality
Same
Old 01-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #141
BenK-msx

Quote:
BenK-msx, I added lasttouched "fx/param" to Slider menu if slider is empty (I think GUI is already "overloaded" by different elements).
Hi Mpl.

ah i see this now thanks!, but is not particularly satisfactory in the menu

I completely understand wanting to keep the GUI uncluttered -

but for example an option to display the same info at the very bottom or top of gui on one line would be amazing.

i had thought you meant it would appear in an empty slot as an option:

e.g the user has a choice of 'get last touched parameter' or 'show/display last touched paramater' (in a slot with no slider)

i'd happily lose 1 slot for this purpose.

your tool is very useful for information purposes as much as it is for adjustment.

edit: regarding the GUI the top line of 'project' or 'routing' takes up quite a bit of space but shows little important info - perhaps an optimisation there could make room for other stuff?

these are v minor nitpicks btw, awesome work for sure. thankyou
Old 01-09-2016, 02:17 AM   #142
mpl

Ok, here is version 1.11, hope I didnt broke something (it is 4000 lines code already, I have no idea why my head is still not exlpoded).
I added function to check version current project was saved previously to clear config for new version (should decrease quantity of potential bugs). If you ask: "what will be if I save/restore config from previous version", I answer: "I don`t know, maybe it will works".

Here is small overview of examples what can you do with Expert Mode:
(track_vol(map,slider) means get volume from track where FX of parameter (linked to map and slider) is placed )

I also added "Remove config" action (if something goes wrong with current project)

Last edited by mpl; 01-09-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #143
musicbynumbers

Crazy stuff!

I'm going to try it now.

I did make a OSC map part of my default reaper template (so I didn't have to keep reassigning them each time). Do you think that will be fine to not wipe or should I clear everything?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #144
mpl

I think I should add "global" learn, so any instance of script even if it first run or newest version will load global learn by default and optionally load local learn only current project related.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #145
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I think I should add "global" learn, so any instance of script even if it first run or newest version will load global learn by default and optionally load local learn only current project related.
that would be useful indeed
Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #146
musicbynumbers

Some amazing new stuff here but one of my first thoughts was "I'm missing having obvious numbers on each slider" (sorry BenK-msx)

I like being able to see the last touched parameter but it was more useful to be able to see both the fader number and also the OSC or midi assignment. Having the last touched at the bottom was fine and I feel we've lost some good information here now. Maybe an option?

What do you think BenK-msx? have "we" gone too far now?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:59 AM   #147
J Reverb

This is really working well now
Is it possible to have a larger input window for entering formula ?
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #148
mpl

Quote:
Is it possible to have a larger input window for entering formula ?
Unfortunately no. Here we should ask devs also to improve GetUserInputs() API. I also saw somethere Xenakios example made with his own extension(?) which let scripters have bigger input window than currently and also schwa sandbox. Anyway, native solution would be great.

musicbynumbers, there weren`t slider ids on slider and now in the bottom you can see both last touched parameter and midi/osc learn. Did I missed something?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #149
musicbynumbers

Am I right in thinking that expert mode can still have the same input formulas as the standard mode but can now access other things (like the presets show) and also combine more than 1 function at a time?

If so, what's the correct syntax for me to use to say first limit and then add a 2nd formula after it?

If that's not possible that's fine but are there any other differences in expert mode apart from not having the other presets showing?

Lastly, I love now that the curve formula automatically updates whilst playing so that when I adjust the first and last points on the curve I can hear the affect in real time! makes fine tuning so much easier thanks! (or maybe this only works in expert mode since I copy and pasted the curve formula and added "y = " at the start of it?)
Old 01-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #150
musicbynumbers

Quote:
musicbynumbers, there weren`t slider ids on slider and now in the bottom you can see both last touched parameter and midi/osc learn. Did I missed something?
weird. I could have sworn the version before this showed the OSC parameter on each of the normal sliders and possibly the slider number as well (but that might have been just the fact that my OSC names were numbered 1 to 16)

I'm not crazy right? the OSC names use to show on the sliders which was far more useful than having all of them show the last touched parameter which seems a waste if it's also shown at the bottom.

I'll go and check the last version now!

EDIT just checked 1.04 and it seems it never did.. sorry about that. I must of had to just click on the fader then.

I still think showing the OSC info (if fixed learn is on) or the slider number is more useful though (since last touched is at the bottom) but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-09-2016 at 05:24 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 AM   #151
musicbynumbers

just saw this in the change log..
"# Caching function improvements. "

What kind of areas might this affect and I'll test them? Is it more about screen updates versus focus?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #152
musicbynumbers

also, just saw this in the change log..

07.01.2016 1.02
# Show FixedLearn on empty sliders if FixedLearn is active

I knew I wasn't dreaming! that was a really useful function that seems to not work now.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #153
mpl

Difference beetween normal and expert mode.

Normal mode: formula string should be only executable function, like if you`ll add 'y=' it will be looks like normal equation.

Right
Quote:
x^2
(final cached function: y = x^2 return y) - OK to cache
Wrong
Quote:
if x>0.2 then y = 1 end
(final cached function: y = if x>0.2 then y = 1 end return y) - error compilation, synthax error
Expert mode: string executes as Lua code.

Right
Quote:
y= x^2
(final cached function: y= x^2 return y) - OK to cache
Right
Quote:
if x == 0.5 then y = x end
if x >= 0.5 then y = 1-x end
if x + 0.2 >= 0.1 then y = x*10 end

(final cached function:
if x == 0.5 then y = x end
if x >= 0.5 then y = 1-x end
if x + 0.2 >= 0.1 then y = x*10 end
return y
) - OK to cache
Wrong
Quote:
x^2
(final cached function: x^2 return y) - error compilation, "y" not found
-----------

Quote:
seems to not work now.
Ah, FixedLearn indicators you mean. Yeap, that should be fixed now (they not shown if map is empty). I also leave "musthave" erase config only for versions lower than 1.11. So it is looks safety to update from 1.11 to current versions.

Quote:
Is it more about screen updates versus focus?
it is more prevent user errors when compiling formula and proper storing/geting it from project file.

Last edited by mpl; 01-09-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #154
mpl

For any kind of expert opeations with formulas it is better to look here and here and here

Last edited by mpl; 01-09-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #155
musicbynumbers

Thanks MPL!

I'm looking forward to trying these formulas later when I'm back at the studio again.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #156
mpl

One guy from russian musicmakers forum found possible ReaEQ bug:

Unfortunately I don`t know how to fix that. Though I prevent such things by limiting out value from 0 to 1. And any other third-party EQ is OK with modulation like that.

Last edited by mpl; 01-09-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #157
musicbynumbers

Would you consider also maybe adding presets at the bottom of the advanced mode preset menu that are ready for use in expert mode? Not the whole input box versions but just the formula themselves so we don't have to remember them off by heart. It's a good reminder of what formulas are common and useful.

No worries if not, I'm sure I'll get use to it eventually it's just that I wouldn't be able to go back to normal mode to check on them out even without wiping everything right?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #158
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Some amazing new stuff here but one of my first thoughts was "I'm missing having obvious numbers on each slider" (sorry BenK-msx)

I like being able to see the last touched parameter but it was more useful to be able to see both the fader number and also the OSC or midi assignment. Having the last touched at the bottom was fine and I feel we've lost some good information here now. Maybe an option?

What do you think BenK-msx? have "we" gone too far now?
I Need to look on my main machine to see what you mean, but in no way would I lobby for information loss.. (Bit black hole esque! )

I've not tried the midi assigment aspects since I have last touched parameter mapped to an endless encoder globally so just using that is v cool for most scenrarios for me.

Thanks again mpl for being so accommodating whilst having your head not explode, I looked through the code yesterday to see if could cheat the last touched info to appear somewhere else, and failed miserably!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #159
BenK-msx

musicbynumbers:

think i understand your loss now:

previously with a fixed learn assignment and the slider otherwise 'empty' - the assigment info eg. osc address, appeared on the slider as text?

and now it shows the last touched readout ( ...'cos of Ben? )

i think mpl could rectify that for you easily by make the conditions for showing the last touched text 'exclude' any fixed learn assignment for that slider -
for me at least, the last touched info is great to have on a slider that has no fixed learn or is otherwise empty.

i have also managed to figure out altering the alpha of the LT info, very pleased with myself! haha. was a touch faint on my monitor.
line 923 if anyone's interested and the author doesn't mind..

thanks mpl again for these latest tweaks, really making a difference and catering hopefully for most user's workflow!
Old 01-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #160
musicbynumbers

all good it's back now in the latest.