Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
OovooJaver
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRack Modular Synth 2 Problems

Hello there!

I'm quite new, but I know some basic functions of synths.
A synth consists of one or more oscillators with waveforms which you can set to make different sounds.
Then there is an envelope controlling the synths behaviour over time.

ADSR - Attack Decay Sustain Release - I know what they do. Please don't ask me to elaborate.

So after downloading and installing ReaRack Modular Synth 2 successfully, I tried to set up a simple synth.
I created a track inside Reaper, clicked on FX and chose OSC Trapezoid. Then I inserted an Envelope Generator, thinking it would force its Envelope settings on the Oscillator, but it doesn't seem to work.
As I use the MIDI Keyboard to test what the synth is doing I only get a long continuous note. It changes when I play a different note, but has no ADSR effects.

Edit: Five minutes later. It works now. I didn't know that I needed the Amplifier too.

ReaRack Oscillator Trapezoidal
ReaRack Envelope Generator
ReaRack Amplifier

Without the Amp, the Envelope Generator doesn't work, but why? Also I realized that Envelope has output set to 20, while Amp has
set input to twenty, so I guess they communicate...

So I wondered, do I need to link them in a certain way, as master/slave or do I need to work with groups/Classes because until now I was thinking that the FXs on top trigger the effects further down and the effects below get applied to the ones on top.

Where am I wrong?

Last edited by OovooJaver; 08-29-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: It works now. I have no idea why...
OovooJaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #2
Jackmon

Default ReaRack problem

Hi Oovoojager

Quote:
As I use the MIDI Keyboard to test what the synth is doing I only get a long continuous note. It changes when I play a different note, but has no ADSR effects.
I am at the same position as this, at the moment, in ReaRack.

Even with the Amp I still get the continuous tone which changes as I press keys on my keyboard controller.

Do you have any further insights please.

Many thanks.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #3
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OovooJaver View Post
A synth consists of one or more oscillators with waveforms which you can set to make different sounds.
Then there is an envelope controlling the synths behaviour over time.

Without the Amp, the Envelope Generator doesn't work, but why?
the envelope affects the amplifier's behaviour over time, not the oscillator.

I've never used ReaRack so can't comment on the other stuff though.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #4
akademie

That's why these kind of synths are called ""Modular synthesizers".
They consist of modules ehich each do only its job (OSC oscillates, AMP amplifies, FILTER filters, ENV generates time variant control signal). It's the user's job to interconnect them the way he/she want for the specific sound so they communicate between each other just the way designed by the user.

If you do not want such behavior, you need to pick some standard, non-modular, synth.

Last edited by akademie; 05-17-2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: typos
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
Jackmon

@akademie
Quote:
That's why these kind of synths are called ""Modular synthesizers".
They consist of modules ehich each do only its job (OSC oscillates, AMP amplifies, FILTER filters, ENV generates time variant control signal). It's the user's job to interconnect them the way he/she want for the specific sound so they communicate between each other just the way designed by the user.

If you do not want such behavior, you need to pick some standard, non-modular, synth.
Well, thanks for that.

I have to say, I get around reasonably well on VCV Rack & Voltage Modular, but ReaRack is a little different. I was just asking Oovoojaver for any further illumination he might have gained with the problem of the continuous tone. This is, after all, "newbieland' - the place to ...

Quote:
Discuss simple computer/recording/REAPER stuff here.. Don't be embarrassed, nothing is too easy to discuss...