Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-01-2019, 02:01 AM   #1
4Eyes
Human being with feelings

Default Hackintosh Mojave - Reaper crashing since v5.97

Hi there,

I hope you'll be able to track down where's problem with my Hackintosh/Ryzentosh, seems I got all basic stuff working. but I'm experiencing Reaper crashes right on the launch, I've found out that v5.965 is working fine, v5.97 is where it starts with the same errors, following all the later versions.

My MacBookPro (early 2015 13" Retina) running the same version of Mojave 10.14.6 is running the latest Reaper v5.981 fine.

attached is crash report, if you see something suspicious that'll help me to fix it I'll really appreciate it. I tried different memory UEFI drivers without success, it's probably something like that or some kext I'm missing.
Attached Files
File Type: txt reaper.txt (86.5 KB, 501 views)
4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Ah Ryzen... Seems the version of ICC we're using is probably incompatible (since officially it's not a supported CPU on the mac). I suppose we could make a clang-only macOS build once in a while, if that would be helpful...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
4Eyes

ah..that would help, if it's not too much hassle.. I know of some other people trying to get Reaper working on a Ryzentosh, too.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
ViktorNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah Ryzen... Seems the version of ICC we're using is probably incompatible (since officially it's not a supported CPU on the mac). I suppose we could make a clang-only macOS build once in a while, if that would be helpful...
I'm having this same exact problem on an AMD FX 6300 Hackintosh, the lastest version of Reaper I can use is 5.965 =(

Are there alternate builds out right now that might work better on AMD Hackintosh systems? That would be SUPER awesome! It would be nice to not have to build a new Intel Hackintosh from the ground up to run Reaper, but I will save up and do it if I have to

I have attached my crash log from trying to run v6.0, it looks nearly identical to 4Eyes
Attached Files
File Type: txt reaper-crash.txt (80.0 KB, 427 views)
ViktorNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
lemorse

Hi everyone,
I've been using a homemade hackintosh since the end of Reaper v.4 and I've never had any compatibility issues except since ... V.6 Arggg since I watched it from corner of the eye I strongly hope for an update that will allow me to use it. Fortunately I have no problem with v5.99.
I'm using osx10.11.1 and everything is very stable until now!

Thank you in advance for a future update allowing the use of the V.6 hackintosh owner
lemorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:57 AM   #6
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemorse View Post
Hi everyone,
I've been using a homemade hackintosh since the end of Reaper v.4 and I've never had any compatibility issues except since ... V.6 Arggg since I watched it from corner of the eye I strongly hope for an update that will allow me to use it. Fortunately I have no problem with v5.99.
I'm using osx10.11.1 and everything is very stable until now!

Thank you in advance for a future update allowing the use of the V.6 hackintosh owner
You'll need to state your hardware, especially CPU and what the actual problem is.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
lemorse

Hi Ideosound,thank you for your interest in this problem.
OK, The features of my hackintosh are :
- Motherboard :Gigabyte Z78pds3
- CPU:Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz (LGA1155 Socket)
- GPU: PNY GeForce GT 610 (PCIe, 1024 MB) (double screen: 27"HDMI & 21"vga)
- RAM 8G
-Soundcard : RME UC

I'm on OSX10.11.1 bootloader and kexts found on https://www.tonymacx86.com/
The system is very stable and I have no problem with Reaper v5.99 but when I launch Reaper v6 (portable or not) launch fail on "initializing Main windows"

Here is the informations about my config and the problem of launching V.6
I do not know if it's because of the CPU of the video card but so far I have no problem with any other program even apple.

If this can help below the early of error report:
Thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Reaper Crash v6 .txt (903 Bytes, 402 views)

Last edited by lemorse; 12-07-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:48 AM   #8
Ideosound

Quote:
Hi Ideosound,thank you for your interest in this problem.
OK, The features of my hackintosh are :
- Motherboard :Gigabyte Z78pds3
- CPU:Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz (LGA1155 Socket)
- GPU: PNY GeForce GT 610 (PCIe, 1024 MB) (double screen: 27"HDMI & 21"vga)
- RAM 8G
-Soundcard : RME UC

I'm on OSX10.11.1 bootloader and kexts found on https://www.tonymacx86.com/
The system is very stable and I have no problem with Reaper v5.99 but when I launch Reaper v6 (portable or not) launch fail on "initializing Main windows"

Here is the informations about my config and the problem of launching V.6
I do not know if it's because of the CPU of the video card but so far I have no problem with any other program even apple.

If this can help below the early of error report:
Thanks for your help.
Thread 0 Crashed:: reaper Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.apple.GeForceMTLDriver 0x00000001144f899a 0x1144a6000 + 338330
And more........

It's something to do with your GPU Nvidia (GeForceMTLDriver). You are better off with AMD gpus for hackintosh now. Something like a RX580 works out of the box and if not use Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts then should work out the box.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:10 AM   #9
lemorse

Indeed, I didn't know that AMD had taken up the torch for hackintosh. Thank you for these details, I will change my video card and keep you informed of the result concerning its operation with Reaper 6.
Thank you very much Idéosound for this answer.
Also, if you know an AMD PASSIVE video card (without fan) compatible "out of the box" even if they are less powerful than with fan, I would like the reference.
Thank you
Old 12-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #10
Ideosound

Quote:
Also, if you know an AMD PASSIVE video card (without fan) compatible "out of the box" even if they are less powerful than with fan, I would like the reference.
Thank you
Best give this guide a read - https://khronokernel-3.gitbook.io/ca...n-gpus/amd-gpu

Will tell you all you need to know. I had an Asus ROG RX580 8gb card and that only occasionally had the fans slightly spin up, just to keep the unit cool. Essentially it was very quiet and it didn't bug me. Now I have a Sapphire Vega 64 8Gb Nitro since the price is fairly good at the moment for a powerful card and the built-in drivers in mac OS are good. The fans on this won't ever spin until the card goes over 50 degrees or thereabouts. So in normal audio use, the fans are silent until you go something GPU heavy like a video render or play a game.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
lemorse

many thank, I will study these GPUs carefully.
I will keep you posted on the success.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #12
Patrice Brousseau

I have an Hackintosh i7 4770 with an Asus GT710, Reaper 6, Mojave 10.14.6. No problems, weird that it mentions Nvidia driver in your crashdump...

@lemorse: did you tried Mojave? Or maybe Sierra. It could be a lot of things as we are running a lot of modified stuff or kexts on hacks. Latest Clover, latest bios? What SMBIOS are you using? And Tonymac packs a lot of not so useful stuff in their installers, my opinion. I choose myself what I put and where on my two hacks.

Last edited by Patrice Brousseau; 12-25-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:17 AM   #13
lemorse

@Patrice Brousseau :Hi Patrice Brousseau, Thank you for your interest.

I have been working with my hackintosh version for more than 5 years and I haven't even done the updates (v.1; v.2; V.3 & more) and to avoid spending a lot of time finding the right way to boot each update so that everything works correctly (often the usb speed and the graphics driver).
But if you tell me that GT710 works on mojave, it's possible that my old "GPUKext" is obsolete for the new version of Reaper (but I don't understand why all the other programs work ???).
To answer your question,I think I remember using clover, with an SDDT and DSDT.aml file (Bios v.F9 for my motherboard) as well as a Trim enabeler program for SSD.
I'm going to install the latest OSX version on a new SSD with a new Boot, can you tell me your method to install a super clean hackintosh and your GPUkext for the GT710?

Thank you very much & best wishes for the new years.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
@Patrice Brousseau :Hi Patrice Brousseau, Thank you for your interest.

I have been working with my hackintosh version for more than 5 years and I haven't even done the updates (v.1; v.2; V.3 & more) and to avoid spending a lot of time finding the right way to boot each update so that everything works correctly (often the usb speed and the graphics driver).
But if you tell me that GT710 works on mojave, it's possible that my old "GPUKext" is obsolete for the new version of Reaper (but I don't understand why all the other programs work ???).
To answer your question,I think I remember using clover, with an SDDT and DSDT.aml file (Bios v.F9 for my motherboard) as well as a Trim enabeler program for SSD.
I'm going to install the latest OSX version on a new SSD with a new Boot, can you tell me your method to install a super clean hackintosh and your GPUkext for the GT710?

Thank you very much & best wishes for the new years.
The Kext was part of Mojave, didn't need to modify anything for my GT710. I have a DSDT for my Hack but as you're not using the same machine as me, it won't help you.

Try installing Mojave and see how it goes. I will try to help you the best I can if something goes wrong.

Last edited by Patrice Brousseau; 01-06-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
Patrice Brousseau

Chipset Z78, let's see if you can install Mojave on it.

I would avoid Catalina as 32 bits plugins (if you have some) won't work. If you don't have 32bit software, disregard.

Last edited by Patrice Brousseau; 01-06-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #16
Patrice Brousseau

Forgot, did you installed the NVidia drivers or relied on the MacOS ones?

You can fin them here: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...px/93555/en-us

But you need to add a value in your Clover config.plist.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/n...clover.202341/

In your case, it would be nvda_drv=1 as you're still running El Capitan. Worth a try...

Last edited by Patrice Brousseau; 01-06-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
Patrice Brousseau

In case you're running the basic OS drivers and are willing to try the NVidia drivers: https://hackintosher.com/guides/get-...ng-hackintosh/

And maybe you will need to add some kexts in your Clover EFI folder...

Last edited by Patrice Brousseau; 01-06-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
lemorse

Thank you for your answer, small modification, I was wrong name of my motherboard, the good name is Z68pds3 (not Z78 ...) does that change anything compared to the information on Clover or NVidia that you provided me?
Old 01-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
Patrice Brousseau

No, I would try at least to install the NVidia webdrivers.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #20
Justin
Administrator

We've posted a non-ICC (clang) build of 6.03 on landoleet.org ... Maybe we can do these periodically.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:26 AM   #21
lemorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
No, I would try at least to install the NVidia webdrivers.
Hello patrice, I have not yet tried to change the "config.plist" to test the web driver because I must first save my hard drive. I will test as soon as possible.
A +
Old 01-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #22
lemorse

Quote:
We've posted a non-ICC (clang) build of 6.03 on landoleet.org ... Maybe we can do these periodically.
Hello Justin, thank you for this addition, unfortunately I just tested (V.clang) and it still does not work. Crash occurs in the same place. I have the impression that reaper crash as soon as the loading arrives at "Main Windows"! Maybe version 6 requires a more powerful video card than the GT610?

Here it can help here is my configuration of Hackintosh as well as the reaper crash file:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68pds3
- CPU: Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz (LGA1155 Socket)
- GPU: PNY GeForce GT 610 (PCIe, 1024 MB) (double screen: 27 "HDMI & 21" vga)
- RAM 8G
-Soundcard: RME UC

Thank you and good day
A+
Attached Files
File Type: txt Reaper crash v.6.txt (62.4 KB, 356 views)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:50 AM   #23
b0se

Quote:
You absolute legend, thanks!

I just sent my whole Ryzen build back though as I didn't think it would happen, haha! Ah well, I'll have to buy it all again :¬)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
You absolute legend, thanks!

I just sent my whole Ryzen build back though as I didn't think it would happen, haha! Ah well, I'll have to buy it all again :¬)
Be careful with AMD cpus in Hackintoshes, whilst the installing is getting a lot better I think there are still quite a lot of issues with Adobe software, Wacom software, power management. For audio apps there are latency issues and quite a few plugins expect intel instructions. Best sticking to Intel for a flawless build, despite AMD killing it on the CPU market!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #25
Ideosound

Quote:
Hello Justin, thank you for this addition, unfortunately I just tested (V.clang) and it still does not work. Crash occurs in the same place. I have the impression that reaper crash as soon as the loading arrives at "Main Windows"! Maybe version 6 requires a more powerful video card than the GT610?

Here it can help here is my configuration of Hackintosh as well as the reaper crash file:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68pds3
- CPU: Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz (LGA1155 Socket)
- GPU: PNY GeForce GT 610 (PCIe, 1024 MB) (double screen: 27 "HDMI & 21" vga)
- RAM 8G
-Soundcard: RME UC

Thank you and good day
A+
You have an intel CPU so this Reaper build for AMD CPUs won't help you? It's still an issue with your GPU or drivers regarding the crash log.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #26
lemorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
You have an intel CPU so this Reaper build for AMD CPUs won't help you? It's still an issue with your GPU or drivers regarding the crash log.
Hi Idéosound,
Do you knox if Reaper is builded for AMD CPUs just for "v.clang" or all Reaper v.6?
Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #27
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Be careful with AMD cpus in Hackintoshes, whilst the installing is getting a lot better I think there are still quite a lot of issues with Adobe software, Wacom software, power management. For audio apps there are latency issues and quite a few plugins expect intel instructions. Best sticking to Intel for a flawless build, despite AMD killing it on the CPU market!
That's great info - thank you. Next OS will be W10 LTSC. Just waiting for Metric Halo to release drivers (OSX only atm, hence the need to Hackintosh).
Old 01-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #28
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Hello patrice, I have not yet tried to change the "config.plist" to test the web driver because I must first save my hard drive. I will test as soon as possible.
A +
I hope it'll solve your bug. Your GT610 should be sufficient for Reaper 6 in my opinion. Did you tried with only the HDMI monitor? And in case all your config is top notch (Clover, kexts, NVidia drivers) and the 610 refuses to cooperate, the GT710 costs peanuts. Another option is an used RX560.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #29
lemorse

Quote:
I hope it'll solve your bug. Your GT610 should be sufficient for Reaper 6 in my opinion. Did you tried with only the HDMI monitor?
Hi patrice, I already tried with a single monitor in HDMI and reaper v.6 does not work either.

Also, as you have advised me here:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/n...clover.202341/
I just tried to modify in my "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist"
and I added the following lines :
" <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>"
But, at startup, I always see "OSX default Graphic driver" ...

I am attaching my current config plist file, maybe you will be able to see if I should remove some lines in particular :
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>

But I don't know if I should try to delete these lines to leave the first modification.
What do you think ? do you see an error in my "config.plist ?

Thank you so much again.
A+
Attached Images
File Type: png OSX Default Graphic driver.png (54.0 KB, 341 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.plist.txt (4.7 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by lemorse; 01-26-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #30
Patrice Brousseau

Did you installed the web drivers as pointed before: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...px/93555/en-us

You are supposed to have an Nvidia icon near the clock and then, you would choose the Nvidia driver.

If you installed them and it doesn't work, maybe NVRAM isn't supported on your machine.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #31
Patrice Brousseau

You could also try to add Lilu and Whatevergreen in your kexts Clover folder.

Also,

https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012...abyte-z68.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/...3_3245_hd4000/

Hmmm! Looks to be a non-uefi board (Legacy BIOS). You would have to emulate NVRAM to be able to load NVidia Webdrivers I think.

**Ok, revision 2.0 and 2.1 of this board can be upgraded with an UEFI BIOS. What revision do you own? As for the NVRAM, not sure. Quite old board...
Old 01-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #32
Patrice Brousseau

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/i.../#post-1759346

Tu parles français?

Bon, pas grand chose à trouver concernant ta carte-mère et OSX sur le net. Tu connais MacBidouille, tu pourrais essayer de poser ton problème dans le sous-forum "Hackintosh".

Patrice
Old 01-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #33
lemorse

Quote:
Did you installed the web drivers as pointed before: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...px/93555/en-us

You are supposed to have an Nvidia icon near the clock and then, you would choose the Nvidia driver.

If you installed them and it doesn't work, maybe NVRAM isn't supported on your machine.
Bonjour Patrice effectivement je suis de Bordeaux
J'ai bien installé les pilotes NVIDIA , j'ai bien l'icône dans la barre de tache à coté de l'horloge mais à chaque fois que je choisi Nvidia Web driver, il me propose de redémarrer et après le démarrage , le driver est toujours sur "OSX Graphic Driver" et pas le web driver. Je pense donc que tu a raison par rapport à la NVRAM.
Je croyais qu'en changeant deux trois trucs dans le config.plist je pourrais démarrer avec le web driver mais cela ne marche pas.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #34
Patrice Brousseau

Register in MacBidouille, worth a try.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #35
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Bonjour Patrice effectivement je suis de Bordeaux
J'ai bien installé les pilotes NVIDIA , j'ai bien l'icône dans la barre de tache à coté de l'horloge mais à chaque fois que je choisi Nvidia Web driver, il me propose de redémarrer et après le démarrage , le driver est toujours sur "OSX Graphic Driver" et pas le web driver. Je pense donc que tu a raison par rapport à la NVRAM.
Je croyais qu'en changeant deux trois trucs dans le config.plist je pourrais démarrer avec le web driver mais cela ne marche pas.
There is a way to emulate NVRAM I think in Clover on legacy system... but since I have native NVRAM on my two hacks, my knowledge stops here...
Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #36
b0se

Quote:
Hi patrice, I already tried with a single monitor in HDMI and reaper v.6 does not work either.

Also, as you have advised me here:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/n...clover.202341/
I just tried to modify in my "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist"
and I added the following lines :
" <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>"
But, at startup, I always see "OSX default Graphic driver" ...

I am attaching my current config plist file, maybe you will be able to see if I should remove some lines in particular :
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>

But I don't know if I should try to delete these lines to leave the first modification.
What do you think ? do you see an error in my "config.plist ?

Thank you so much again.
A+
In your config.plist:

1) to go line 95. Change this:

<string>-v arch=x86_64 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0</string>

To this:

<string>-v arch=x86_64 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 nvda_drv=1</string>

2) Go to line 161 (Inject > Nvidia). Change <true/> to <false/>
Old 01-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #37
Patrice Brousseau

Also: Emulated NVRAM: If your system is older and boots using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI or doesn't have working hardware NVRAM in OS X, you can emulate the NVRAM functionality using the EmuVariableUefi driver and Clover's RC Scripts (select "Install RC Scripts to target partition" in the Clover installer); this will save the NVRAM data to a file at every shutdown, and the EmuVariableUefi driver will load this file and pass it to OS X as the NVRAM data.

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/...oshes_support/
Old 01-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #38
4Eyes

Quote:
haven't appeared here in a while - thank you, I'll give it a try and I promise I'm going to renew my license, if that works, since my old one expired with v5.99
Old 06-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #39
RalphHeigl

Quote:
How about a new clang build for my new Ryzen?

Built a 32 g x570 Ryzen 3900x Vega 56 Hackintosh and got it working on a sorta clean install of Catalina 10.15.4.
Reinstalled all my apps but when I got to Reaper Ka... boom!
Searched and thank heavens a guy broke the rules and made a link to landoleet on reddit!
Got the 6.03 clang in the "old" folder in landoleet.org and it saved me!
I think I was 6.09 on my MacPro before the big switch.

Soooo.... Could you please do a new clang compile for 6.11? And then every couple of releases?

Thanks
RalphHeigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #40
maralatho

Quote:
That would be great. I have a dual-boot Windows/Hackintosh system based on a Ryzen 3900x. The clang-only build works fine, but the normal build does crash on launch.

I understand that these custom builds can't be a priority, but I do like to jump between OSs from time to time.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote