Old 02-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default Favorite DAW controller?

I suddenly want one. :P
Old 02-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Judders

I've got a Faderport, which along with the good work done by yhertogh, karbomusic and The _Nimaj of our very own forums, works incredibly well. Transport, fader, pan, mute, solo, read/write mode and custom actions.

I also just got a Novation Launch Control. 16 rotary knobs. This is for controlling plugin parameters in track controls.

Between them I've essentially got a channel strip and transport.

This is all set up to work on the selected track. If you want to control multiple tracks at once then you'll have to spend considerably more money.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
fortunatefolks

I had a Faderport at one time... worked fine. Have been using Mackie Control Universal for many years... really haven't desired anything else since I started using it (~2008).
fortunatefolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Maschine Mikro Mk1. It outputs 9 layers (via MIDI-Ox channel switching) of 32 MIDI CC buttons/pads and the encoder knob, based on which "modifier" button I hold. Every action I ever need while sketching a song fits right in my lap.

Also love my 10 year old Novation ReMOTE. All my favorite SoftSynths, EQ's, Amps as well as a fully mapped "selected-track channel strip" are hands-on controllable via the 4 layers x (8 encoders, 8 rotary knobs, 8 faders and 8 buttons). So

When I want to mix or edit in maximum comfort and laziness, I use my Steam Controller with mouse control and programmable keyboard shortcuts and put my feet up. Max

All of which have been customized all the way to oblivion and beyond....But now I'm about 97% mouse and keyboard free!! Über-geek !

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-18-2018 at 03:02 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
sostenuto

Was considering Faderport, but now you got me looking carefully at Maschine Mikro MK2 for very reasonable $299. Other functions by either Axiom Pro61, or Komplete Kontrol S-49 ___ (2) Win10 Pro DAWs.

Should work right ??
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Maschine Mikro MK2 for very reasonable $299.
If you like to make beats, you can't go wrong. And it doubles as a fantastic MIDI controller that fits comfortably in your lap.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
mschnell

Maybe it makes sense to watch this thread for the advanced integration of Controller boards in Reaper -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 AM   #8
ivansc

(grin) I paid 23 UK pounds each, used, for my Korg NanoKontrolsand 25 UK pounds NEW for my Korg Nanokontrol.
Once I got them integrated with Reaper etc they have performed flawlessly.
Bang for the buck award!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #9
G-Sun

Happy Faderport-user here
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #10
Softsynth

I have a Korg NanoKontrol 2 but I don't use it as a DAW controller. I use it to map synth controls.
For DAW use I use this for seamless operation:

A big high quality motorized controller would be cool, but an expensive luxury.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 AM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Was considering Faderport, but now you got me looking carefully at Maschine Mikro MK2 for very reasonable $299. Other functions by either Axiom Pro61, or Komplete Kontrol S-49 ___ (2) Win10 Pro DAWs.

Should work right ??
The biggest advantage to a motorised fader is not having to deal with soft takeover. If you only want to make small adjustments to a track that already has automation, then non-motorised faders aren't really going to be able to do that.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #12
Tubeguy

I've got worlde easycontrol 9. Cheap but can configure it to do just about anything. Well build too, I expected some cheap cheap junk but it works well.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:

Should work right ??
I'd go for the Nektar P6 instead of the Axiom Pro 61 FWIW and it supports Reaper.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I use my Steam Controller with mouse control and programmable keyboard shortcuts and put my feet up. Max
How does that even work for audio editing? It's pretty cool, though.

I'm interested in the X-Touch, but I've been reading that most of it is dead to REAPER.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The biggest advantage to a motorised fader is not having to deal with soft takeover. If you only want to make small adjustments to a track that already has automation, then non-motorised faders aren't really going to be able to do that.
THX! Learning, learning .........
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
Judders

Quote:
THX! Learning, learning .........
Just in case you, or anyone reading, doesn't know what I'm talking about by "soft takeover", it is explained in this video:

Old 02-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
Zlornick

I use an old 49 key Novation X-Station. Transport controls, 9 decent faders, great synth keybed with aftertouch, and a ton of knobs and buttons to assign to whatever. Fairly easy to edit each knob. Works with Reaper with the installed Cubase template out the box. Highly recommended.
Zlornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #18
sostenuto

Quote:
Just in case you, or anyone reading, doesn't know what I'm talking about by "soft takeover", it is explained in this video:
Kenny G == adds soooo much to Reaper value. THX!

Last edited by sostenuto; 02-22-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #19
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
How does that even work for audio editing? It's pretty cool, though.
The big pads are touch surfaces. Can be used for mouse or really anything. All buttons are keyboard shortcuts. It's like using a stripped down mouse and keyboard, but more relaxed.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Quote:
Endless encoders like the one(s) on Maschine can do it to, but without motors. They just need to be set to Relative 3 when assigning shortcuts and thus modify the parameter + or - from whatever position it's at.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:46 AM   #21
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Endless encoders like the one(s) on Maschine can do it to, but without motors. They just need to be set to Relative 3 when assigning shortcuts and thus modify the parameter + or - from whatever position it's at.
Yeah, but prefer seeing where it is on the hardware. I also prefer fixed-point knobs with absolute mode.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #22
Softsynth

Quote:
Yeah, but prefer seeing where it is on the hardware........
Agreed. To me that would be the whole point of having hardware controls for DAW control. The software to hardware would have to be seamless. Motorised sliders would need to find their allotted (last recorded/previously set) positions within a project the moment you opened the project, so as not to mess up automation.

I imagine a lot of modest cost hardware controllers find their way onto eBay because they are not perfectly seamless with the user's chosen DAWs.

Guessing that some guys hankering after hardware controllers have never become fully comfortable using a mouse? ; I can sympathize as I am never fully comfortable with clunky laptop style touchpads but a mouse in the hand just feels almost like a natural extension of my hand (especially the small light weight ones like the M185 in my photo link).
Old 02-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #23
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Guessing that some guys hankering after hardware controllers have never become fully comfortable using a mouse? ; I can sympathize as I am never fully comfortable with clunky laptop style touchpads but a mouse in the hand just feels almost like a natural extension of my hand (especially the small light weight ones like the M185 in my photo link).
I am used to using a mouse, and it's still my main tool. I have never been successful with fader rides on a mouse though, and getting that organic movement into a mix is becoming more and more important to me (after years of surgically tweaking envelope lanes).
Old 02-17-2018, 03:25 AM   #24
Softsynth

Quote:
I am used to using a mouse, and it's still my main tool. I have never been successful with fader rides on a mouse though, and getting that organic movement into a mix is becoming more and more important to me (after years of surgically tweaking envelope lanes).

When you say you've got Faderport do you mean this?:
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/midi-stud...yABEgKWefD_BwE
Old 02-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #25
Judders

Quote:
When you say you've got Faderport do you mean this?:
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/midi-stud...yABEgKWefD_BwE
Nope, I've got the original single fader one: https://www.andertons.co.uk/presonus...caAuBpEALw_wcB
Old 02-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #26
Softsynth

Quote:
Nope, I've got the original single fader one: https://www.andertons.co.uk/presonus...caAuBpEALw_wcB

Not seen that before. Does it work seamlessly in Reaper?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #27
Judders

Quote:
Not seen that before. Does it work seamlessly in Reaper?
Yeah, it's great. Check this out: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036
Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #28
Softsynth

Quote:
Yeah, it's great. Check this out: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036
Cheers. I might consider this one for the future.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #29
Judders

Quote:
Cheers. I might consider this one for the future.
I've only had it for a month or two, but I already wouldn't want to live without it.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
peter5992

This is the one I use for Reaper. Projectmix I/O, four physical outputs so you can create quadrophonic soundtracks (more if you connect additional soundcards through optical cables, slaved to this), 8 motorized tracks, and compatible with Reaper.

It's a legacy unit, you can probably find a good used unit on eBay.

peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #31
peter5992

This unit you can buy brand new, it's only a controller, no soundcard, but very nice - brushed aluminium, expandable with 2 additional 8 fader units (everything motorized).
Icon Qcon Pro. About $599 retail.

Presets for Reaper, Logic, Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.

peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #32
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
This unit you can buy brand new, it's only a controller, no soundcard, but very nice - brushed aluminium, expandable with 2 additional 8 fader units (everything motorized).
Icon Qcon Pro. About $599 retail.

Presets for Reaper, Logic, Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.

that's pretty nice. i wonder how it handles EQ etc … I'll search YouTube

I wouldn't mind a 4x4 programmable knob device. 1 for my left hand and other for my right hand. so i can EQ 2 tracks at the same time.

these are kind of expensive, though

Last edited by Rangler; 02-17-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:12 AM   #33
soundmodel

Softube Console 1. It's not as universal, but it has a nice build quality and the integration with the Console 1 plugs is seamless.
soundmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #34
ajaym

I'm really pleased with my KMI K-Mix which has replaced my mixer and audio interface as well as being my primary Reaper control surface.
It's a great solution if you're tight for space since it's only about the size of a paperback book. But you get all the advantages of motorised faders (9 of them) due to the LED feedback underneath the touch strips and then you still have four rotary discs which work well for pan and also as audio scrub, allowing you to precisely position along the audio timeline. With the free plugin from the stash you can also control channel mute, solo and record arm as well as the transport, and you can bring an FX plugin into focus and then adjust its parameters as well. As an audio interface it gives you 8 ins and 10 outs (because the headphone output is configurable as an independent set of outs) and the first two channels have phantom power. Preamps are very quiet and although bus powered I have had no issues with ground loops unlike some of the previous audio interfaces I've had. No MIDI but there's an expander available or you can of course just use one or more cheap USB to MIDI adaptors.
I feed the headphone out to a cheap 2 channel Alto mixer whose sole purpose is to be a master monitor fader - it has a nice large level knob for that purpose - although strictly that wouldn't be necessary it's handy because you can plug headphones in to it as well and then control headphone and monitor level independently.
A version of this with scribble strips would be absolutely awesome, hopefully KMI might look at this one day.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #35
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
I'm really pleased with my KMI K-Mix which has replaced my mixer and audio interface as well as being my primary Reaper control surface.
It's a great solution if you're tight for space since it's only about the size of a paperback book. But you get all the advantages of motorised faders (9 of them) due to the LED feedback underneath the touch strips and then you still have four rotary discs which work well for pan and also as audio scrub, allowing you to precisely position along the audio timeline. With the free plugin from the stash you can also control channel mute, solo and record arm as well as the transport, and you can bring an FX plugin into focus and then adjust its parameters as well. As an audio interface it gives you 8 ins and 10 outs (because the headphone output is configurable as an independent set of outs) and the first two channels have phantom power. Preamps are very quiet and although bus powered I have had no issues with ground loops unlike some of the previous audio interfaces I've had. No MIDI but there's an expander available or you can of course just use one or more cheap USB to MIDI adaptors.
I feed the headphone out to a cheap 2 channel Alto mixer whose sole purpose is to be a master monitor fader - it has a nice large level knob for that purpose - although strictly that wouldn't be necessary it's handy because you can plug headphones in to it as well and then control headphone and monitor level independently.
A version of this with scribble strips would be absolutely awesome, hopefully KMI might look at this one day.
I owned a KMI Kboard and felt the mushy keys were extremely unresponsive. I wonder if these feel the same.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #36
airon

My favorite setup is not a single piece of gear but a composite that makes up the whole. I'm constantly working on it too.

Please note that I primarily edit and mix in post production with this setup.

What you don't see is the Novation SL61 keyboard. It's off to the left. I rarely use that for controlling stuff any more.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #37
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
My favorite setup is not a single piece of gear but a composite that makes up the whole. I'm constantly working on it too.

Please note that I primarily edit and mix in post production with this setup.

What you don't see is the Novation SL61 keyboard. It's off to the left. I rarely use that for controlling stuff any more.
What are you using most for EQ?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #38
Rangler

Apart from the useless fader, what do y'all think of the X-touch mini as an entry level control thingy? I just need knobs mostly for EQ.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #39
ChristopherT

That x-touch would make a decent Guiro
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #40
ChristopherT

DIY MIDI platform

https://shanteacontrols.com/
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote