Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Default Integrated (over time) Spectrum Display???

One thing I actually kind of miss from other software I've used is the ability to run a process and get a view of the overall spectrum of a file over it's entire lenghth. Reaper of course doesn't have a native way to do this, but I wonder if anybody has any ideas.

I know that I can use like ReaFIR or SPAN with certain settings to get it, but it requires actually playing all the way through in real time, which is not ideal. I'd rather not have to go to some other external editor for this for a number of reasons. Is there a script or something does anybody know of any other decent way to get this?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
nofish

Quote:
but it requires actually playing all the way through in real time
Just some thoughts:
Of course we know that Reaper already has offline (faster than realtime) FX processing (render, glue, apply FX) and in fact when doing this and have e.g. Span open (with the 'integrated' setting), you can see the spectrum accumulate.
But all of the above do something not really needed/desired here plus it clears Span display when done (also not desired).
So I guess 'all' is needed maybe is something like a 'play through take offline (and don't clear FX)' action?
Maybe worth a feature request, as it wouldn't seem to hard to do as the main thing, FX offline processing, is already there?

edit:
Other than that I have no idea how else it could be done in an offline way currenly.

Last edited by nofish; 09-10-2020 at 05:04 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Fabian

This could be scripted, but it would not be able to show the spectrum as it looks after FX. The audio accessor that is used to access the media only allows to access the raw file data, not after any FX has worked on it.

One way that already exists, is show the spectrogram of the media item. Again, this does not show what the frequency content looks like after any FX, only the raw file.

To see the effect of any FX, first freezing the track/item would seem to be necessary.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
One thing I actually kind of miss from other software I've used is the ability to run a process and get a view of the overall spectrum of a file over it's entire lenghth. Reaper of course doesn't have a native way to do this, but I wonder if anybody has any ideas.

I know that I can use like ReaFIR or SPAN with certain settings to get it, but it requires actually playing all the way through in real time, which is not ideal. I'd rather not have to go to some other external editor for this for a number of reasons. Is there a script or something does anybody know of any other decent way to get this?
Yes, this would really be great. It would save a lot of time. For myself I'd like to do this while using Span.

Great post ashcat.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
Philbo King

Cooledit (and possibly Audition) does this, in the Stats menu.
It's to old to know about LUFS, but it can show peak & RMS spectrums of a time selection.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Maybe worth a feature request, as it wouldn't seem to hard to do as the main thing, FX offline processing, is already there?
What do you think ashcat, it's probably worth an FR?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

I mean I’d imagine it’s scriptable, but it’s way beyond me. I guess it would be nice to have it in SPAN itself, but I’d be perfectly happy with any decent display. You’re welcome to make an FR or script request. I was hoping somebody had already done it.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #8
Tod

Just digging up this old thread, it's still a great idea.

I posted this a while back in the FR section, please if you get a chance give it a bump.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=242377
Old 07-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #9
amagalma

I have a script I made for myself that I have been using for some years.. I improved it and incorporated the latest "dry run" Reaper feature to it.

You can try it:
amagalma_Dummy render (for Izotope Ozone Match EQ and similar).lua

Old 07-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
I have a script I made for myself that I have been using for some years.. I improved it and incorporated the latest "dry run" Reaper feature to it.
Hi and thanks amagalma.

The first time I used it, it worked perfectly. However, on subsequent tries with the cursor and time selection in different places, it retained the very first position. In other words it started playing in the exact position where I started it on my first try. I even closed, then reloaded the project and and it still started in the same first position.

Is there any way to reset it each time?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
amagalma

Oh, as it is now it does not care about the edit cursor position nor the time selection. It runs from start to end of project (because this is what I use...)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Oh, as it is now it does not care about the edit cursor position nor the time selection. It runs from start to end of project (because this is what I use...)
Okay got it.